LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Smilax glabra (Sarsaparilla)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Smilax glabra (Sarsaparilla)
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smilax glabra (Sarsaparilla)
Peer review literature/Science

Effective against:

Leptospirosis
Treponema pallidum (syphilis)
Liver Flukes (clonorchis senensis)
Trypanosome
Shigella and salmonella (common in chronic Lyme)
Leprosy and TB
Fungal skin infections

Other published results:

Lyme endotoxin binding
Lessens Herzheimer reactions
Improvement in Mental and psychological parameters in chronic syphilis
Modulates immune responses
Arthritis anti-inflammatory
Psoriasis and eczema'Neuroprotective (crosses blood brain barrier)
Reduces skin breakdown
Pain relief
Improves liver function
Lessens fatigue
Increases libido
Asthma, hay fever, rhinitis
Cervical spondylosis (Lyme related disc degeneration and facet joint arthritis)
Chronic liver disease (dramatic) including Hepatitis C
Reversal of cognitive impairment
Autoimmune dysregulation
Protects from anti-androgenic substances in Lyme (i.e. gossypol)

Dosage: 425-500 mg caps 1-3 caps 3-4 times/day. Increase slowly to full dosage, stay on it for 2 months, then slowly reduce to maintenance dose of l caps 3 times/day. At least one year.

Contraindications: Increased digitalis and Bismuth absorption (careful with Am.
Biologics Lyme protocol), increased elimination of hypnotic drugs.

((from my doc)

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
historian ambrose, in the documentary on Lewis and Clark, said that clark & lewis gave their men sarsaparilla when they started "... showing signs of syphilus...".

since borrelia is also a spirochete, there might a place for this in a lyme treatment regimen.

considering that these guys were burning an average of 20,000 calories a day,in physically rigorous, grueling activities, requiring great stamina, power,strength, speed,accuracy in the implementation of variably demanding tasks, theres got to be something to this, at least when it comes to treating syphilus.

while ambrose mentioned the sarsaparilla, i'd guess that c&l had other herbal preps. as well, and probably gave them these too. in addition, he probably picked up tips from native americans, maybe even from pocahauntus, since she was indian.

[ 18. March 2006, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: pq ]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Sarsaparilla/Smilax is part of the core protocol of Stephen Buhner's "Healing Lyme". That is why I gave the details here. Dr. K. has been using it and it is being used extensively in the German group of alternative practitioners for Lyme and other problems.

I am very certain we can learn even more from the American Indian. If we listen.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haven't gotten Buhner's book yet.

what part of the sarsaparilla plant does he recommend/use?

root, leaf stem,flower?

thanks [Smile]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

The roots of the sarsaparilla are used.
In my estimation, it is the best book about Lyme I have ever read. I don't care whether he was or is a hippy or whatever people want to portrait him as - he understands Lyme. For me, that is all that counts. It's worth the $12.00 I paid for, new. (WalMart.com) Buy a used one if you have to. But buy it.

Take care.

JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANKS GiGi, THAT is what I have been saying all along. Many have listened and are having good results with Buhner's Protocol.

I hope many more get out of their comfort zone and get to experience what the rest of us are that are into the herbs.

Jim. [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millymollymandy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for millymollymandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi GiGi,

I have just ordered a copy of the Buhner book, also ordered a copy of his book Natural Antibiotics. Looking forward to reading both of them. I have heard nothing but good things about Sarsasparilla!
Take care, MMM

Posts: 229 | From United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattiecake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattiecake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi,
anyway to find out if I can combine it with Oil of oregano and olive leaf extract?
pattiecake

Posts: 687 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

thanks Gigi. been too busy to get the book, but am getting it.

his book on herbs with antibiotic properties sounds very interesting. i wonder if he mentions either yarrow, or yellow dock, as either one or the other has antibiotic properties. [Wink]

i'll know when i get the book. [Smile]

pq

[ 19. March 2006, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: pq ]

JimBoB
Unregistered

PQ:

I have gone over the book MANY times, and do not remember Stephen ever mentioning the Yarrows you are talking about. As a matter of fact, this is the first time I have seen that word, in all of my studies.

PATTICAKE:

I see no reason to put them in the same capsule, however, I take BOTH all the time, in capsule form, right along with all my herbs. I take about twenty five or so capsules along with each meal. (3 times a day).

I just ran out of the Oil of Oregano and am ordering more. The only thing I found Oregano helped was cutting down a little on my gas problems, which I don't need with my illeostomy system, so it at least helps there, and maybe does for other things too, though I have not noticed any other pluses over all the herbs that I take.

Hope this helps you.

Jim.

[Cool]

pq
Member # 6886

Jim,

its one or the other herb, but not both, unless i'm incorrect. approx. 7 yr. ago, i heard an academic researcher on a radio show mention one of these two, and that they were looking at it.
no specifics,or details given about it on the show. mention of it was made in the broad context of abx, emerging infections, and so on.

i'd probably find mention in arcane ethnobotanical journals, foreign and domestic, if its not on medline.

JimBoB
Unregistered

PQ

You can google Yarrow. I just did. Millions of references to it out there.

It is an herb, that I am sure will have some good qualities for you.

However, I don't know IF it has been used in Lyme at all. Buhner has stuck mostly to those herbs that have been proven beneficial in Spirochetal elimination and that would be good in dealing with Lyme disease.

He doesn't address ALL herbs out there. Only the ones he feels are most beneficial, as do the many practitioners he has dealt with.

Jim [Cool]

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a report from Chinese researchers on smilax glabra. Although herbs can have disease fighting qualities, they also have chemicals that are harmful. So, people who think anything herbal is "natural" and good for us, are mistaken. For instance, a lot of sassafras was exported from the U.S. in colonial times because it was thought in Europe to be a syphilis treatment. Now, we are told it can cause cancer. So, some caution is necessary in herbalism.

Yao Xue Xue Bao. 1998 Nov;33(11):873-5. R

[Studies on the chemical constituents of Smilax glabra]

[Article in Chinese]

Yi Y, Cao Z, Yang D, Cao Y, Wu Y, Zhao S.

Jiangsu Province Institute of Materia Medica, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing 210009.

Smilax glabra is a well-known traditional Chinese medicine which has been used clinically to prevent leptospirosis, to treat syphilis, and acute bacterial dysentery, etc. Its extracts showed anti-tumor and anti-atherosclerosis activity. A new isoflavone, 7,6'-dihydroxy 3'-methoxy isoflavone (1), along with two known compounds taxifolin (2) and astilbin (3), have been isolated from the roots of Smilax glabra. The structures were elucidated by spectroscopic methods including 2DNMR techniques.

PMID: 12016952 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Lou, interesting. Would you please pull up the text about the cancer-causing effects/research on Smilax - I am not talented when it comes to fnding these Pub Meds. Thank you.
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you read it again, Gigi, you will see that it was sassafras I spoke about in regard to cancer causing, not smilax. I have no information on smilax. Was just cautioning people who think everything herbal is safe. Mostly we don't know, because our CAM people at NIH went into the alt med research determined to find none of it useful. Just look at the history of Steve Straus with CFS and Lyme. Not going to get an evenhanded look from him!

The Germans have done a better job with evaluating herbal medicines, and their research is covered in the PDR for herbal medicines, available at many public libraries.

The fact is that herbals just have not been investigated enough, for either their good qualities or negative ones. Remember, poison ivy is a plant!

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

GiGi:

Please read your Healing Lyme book again on pages 126 through 131 which is quite extensive on Smilax (Sarsaparilla).

It is an "anti-tumor" medicine, along with other benefits. I see NO reference of Sarsaparilla as being cancer causing, anywhere. It has been used successfully for centuries.

Yes, Lou, Poison Ivy IS a plant. AND I am sure there is SOME good in IT too, though I have not researched it YET, to find out what that might be.

However, I HAVE researched Burning Nettle, or Stinging Nettle, and IT does have many GOOD attributes. As a matter of fact I take about 2000mg a day, in capsule form, of that plant that I have cussed out for years as it grows here as well as grass. And believe me, here in Wisconsin, grass has NO trouble growing. I cuss that out too, WHEN I have to mow. (very mild words, as I don't use bad ones), and fortunately my wife does MOST of the mowing here.

Stinging Nettle has excellent properties in the battle against Lyme. It has great anti-inflamatory actions, and is good for joint and bone health. It inhibits breakdown of Cartilage.

I am taking about 2000mg a day right now. In a month or two, I will drop that to about 1000mg a day.

Jim

[Cool]

GiGi
Member # 259

Sorry, Lou, I read your post before I had breakfast while I was waiting for my sauna to heat up!

Yes, many plants are toxic to the human body. Some plants are partially toxic. Many are healing.

Anything to excess can become a negative: too much water, too many emotional upsets, too much husband and wife, 50 supplements a day that negate each other, three marathons a week, too much sleep, too much Lymenet, too much policing on Lymenet. Too many antibiotics. For me, balance is always the key.

Herbs will never be made popular in a world that is run by the pharma industry. Thank God, a plant is a living plant, is a plant with needs to survive, and cannot be patented to become the exclusive for a few, unless a bit of chemistry is added and the price is upped into orbit.

We still can buy a pound of Sarsaparilla for $10 dollars, without a prescription. We still can buy Mucuna that many benefit from, without a prescription.

Most people use common sense and use these plants
with respect.

Take care.

pq
Member # 6886

Thanks JimBob.
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lou

Is sassafras the same as smilaz(saraspilla)?

Sorry for the stupid question
Thanks [Smile]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tequeslady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi:

I know that Biopure has Mucuna powder, but would you mind telling me your source for Sarsaparilla and Arteminisin?

thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by GiGi:

We still can buy a pound of Sarsaparilla for $10 dollars, without a prescription. We still can buy Mucuna that many benefit from, without a prescription.

Posts: 856 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

I have not bought Artemesinin in years because I don't need it. I know Dr. K. used to buy it from Holly Pharmacy in Fullerton, Ca. or recommended that place to patients. That was a long time ago. He goes by quality of the herb. If it's not doing what he expects it to do, he finds something that does. He uses more PC-Noni now for Babesia than ever before. I posted about it. Look on www.neuraltherapy.com.

Dr. K. uses the tinctures and powders. I know Biopure carries the tinctures made with herbs that he approves. He is very alert to quality in all he recommends for patients. Am not sure if Biopure carries the powders or capsules. Check with them.

You might call the places in "Healing Lyme" - not all carry all forms - powder, tinctures, capsules, etc.

Take care.

JimBoB
Unregistered

Lou:

I am in the process of researching Poison Ivy. I have herbalists also researching it for me.

One of them told me that the one GOOD they do know so far, from poison ivy, is that the birds like the berries from it.

Hmmmmmm, wonder what THEY taste like.

Yes, there are poisonous plants. Just like there are poisonous drugs. We just need to be educated AND selective. And learn what is good for us.

Jim

[Cool]

lou
Member # 81

You see what happens when things like this are recommended to people who are sick and not up to researching? They ask questions like: Are sassafras and sarsaparilla the same thing? The answer is no, sassafras is a tree and smilax (sarsaparilla) is a climbing vine. Or at least most of the smilaxes are vines. Not related. The names just sound something like each other, and both have been used for treatment of spirochetal diseases.

Having you and your herbalists research things is not good enough for me, JimBob, and it should not be good enough for anyone here. The fact is that people are practicing medicine without a license, and whether or not they are doing for $$$ or just out of enthusiasm, is irrelevant. The result is the same. I think this is dangerous.

Am not interested in a another debate and don't plan to respond on this thread again. When newbies come here for help, they are confused and these days what they are going to get from lymenet is a lot of alternative medicine suggestions from strangers who are nothing more than other patients. The conversation here is getting unbalanced. The people who are zealous about alt meds talk about constantly, while those who are not get fed up and drop out of the forum.

JimBoB
Unregistered

Well, LOU, too bad YOU feel THAT way.

I thought YOU at least were one of those people who were not so close minded as some. At least THAT is the way you came across in your PM's to me. NOW I see you are not available to answer even in our direct emailing.

OH WELL!

THAT being said, let me say that IT IS ABOUT TIME, that there is some postive, THINKING people talking about REAL cures these days.

TODAY, at least, I do not even feel that I have Lyme. Let me tell you, I could NOT say that when I was on antibiotics. NOT for a minute, even.

I do not say I do NOT still have it, just that I feel so damned good today, that I could live forever like this and not blink an eye or have ANY remorse for taking the herbs to get better.

Contrary to YOUR post. There ACTUALLY is MUCH more usage of herbs through the centuries than abx. TO BE SURE.

ALSO, contrary to your post, MANY who have not been zealous for the best treatments I have seen so far, NOW ARE. AND many are actually trying it. AND guess what? MANY are also happy with what is happening to them. THEY too are starting to feel much better.

You know, Lou, one thing I have found in my 64 plus years on this earth. People are people, are people! NO ONE has ALL the answers. NO ONE. I don't care WHAT the topic is.

AND IF Lymenet is SO BIASED like the ducks in the medical world, then what good is it, really?

I for one, had thought that LymeNet is an OPEN forum for OPEN MINDED people. Are you telling me it is NOT?

I should THINK YOU and OTHERS who post to this group should WANT to help ALL concerned.

WHEN I first started, ALL I heard was HOW LONG someone was on abx and FELT SO BAD! I even THOUGHT that that was the "norm" when you have Lyme, after reading all those posts.

BUT, THEN I was enlightened. Thank God for the Amazon advertisements that LymeNet has right alongside of where we post. As THERE IT WAS. Plain as the nose on my face.

STEPHEN HARROD BUHNER'S "HEALING LYME" book.

The rest is history.

AND now I can really SEE again.

NOW I do NOT have brain fog anymore.

I do NOT have the excruciating pain in my knee tendons anymore.

PLUS I am lacking a whole bunch more symptoms I had last November when I joined this group. (Yes, I joined, first in November 2005).

IF THAT bothers you and others, to hear such WONDERFUL NEWS, TRUTHFUL news, well so be it.

Like the gal that got me into this group once told me: "People have spent thousands of dollars on abx and treatment and don't want to hear that there is a surpassing way, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg".

GUESS SHE was right, eh?

Jim [Cool]

JimBoB
Unregistered

PS:

ONE more thing LOU:

YOU said see what happens when someone IS SICK. . . . . . . .

IF you go back and read THAT post, it was Posted by our illustrious GIGI, who is NOT sick anymore. I can NOT fault HER for asking THAT question. I saw WHAT you said, but I had to read it TWICE to do so since you write LONG congested sentences where it is hard for not only brain fogged Lymies to read it, it is even difficult for "normal" thinking people to read it.

I would say YOU are at fault IF anyone is, for simply interjecting a word that looks so much like Sarsaparilla in a forum that is ABOUT Smilax (Sarsaparilla).

WHO is confusing the NEWBIES here?

Jim [Cool]

GiGi
Member # 259

JimB, I have never heard anything from Lou except that he thinks I am nut and that I sell snakeoil on this board. He says it beautifully openly and he says it in many hidden forms, as do a number of other people on this board. Frankly, I could care less what they say. The facts are: He is still sick. The others are still sick. I am well. So are many others that have gone for snakeoil.

I have been banned from this board, have been invited back. Oxygenbabe is been banned. See the thread from "Just Don" on transfer factors.
Don't be surprised if you can't find any more new posts from me. Oxygenbabe still has not received an answer to her e-mails why she has been banned from posting here.

We do know, we know with certainty, that for many, many people pharma drugs are not the solution.

The fact is - I had a nice conversation with Dr. K. yesterday when he worked on my healing foot fracture with Neural Therapy: Many have wonderful results with the different herbs. Dr. K's mainstay is still PC-Samento, PC-Noni, Mucuna, Garlic (taken away from other herbs, not at the same time), Stephania, Smilax, Andrographis, Polygonum, etc. depending on condition of the patient. Herbs are working gently and slowly.

These are often interwoven with different pharma drugs especially for parasite infestations where he feels they bring much better results. All these are usually short term. He uses the Diflucans, the amphotericin, etc. - because molds and fungi are a huge problem with many chronic patients. He uses antibiotics when necessary.

Heavy metals and dental toxins have to be addressed.

Don't let anyone deter you. I have always used them. My husband has always used them. So many patients that I have gotten to know have been and are using them. Keep doing what you are doing.
Everything in balance. I have always taken breaks - alternating - from everything I took. I still do.

Don't forget the electrolytes, and possibly phospholipids to transport the herbs to where they are needed. That is what is often missing when drugs or herbs do not bring effects. They just can't get to where they are needed because the microcirculation is not functional, etc. etc.
The KMT alongside opens up the channels and much more.

Lou, if you read this, stick with what you know best and try not to assume everybody is too stupid to think for themselves. Most people have learned enough and are perfectly capable of watching out for themselves. We do not need to be policed, warned, warned again, warned again. And if Cave reads this, this is meant for you also.

Many people here are a lot smarter here than you think and learn quickly if they are still new to this. Go and post your repeated warnings on the Newbie list where they will read it. The rest - let them decide - they are a lot smarter than many of us.

JimB, keep at it.

Take care.

CLC
Member # 7112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimBoB:

....THAT being said, let me say that IT IS ABOUT TIME, that there is some postive, THINKING people talking about REAL cures these days.

Goodness, thank the Lord we have THINKING people like you talking about REAL cures.
It's amazing how someone can read a book about herbs and Lyme and suddenly they're an expert. I rest easier knowing YOU and your researchers are ON the job.

quote:
....AND IF Lymenet is SO BIASED like the ducks in the medical world, then what good is it, really?

If Lymenet is SO BIASED, perhaps you shouldn't waste YOUR time here. I mean, what GOOD can it do really?

quote:
....BUT, THEN I was enlightened.
As THERE IT WAS. Plain as the nose on my face.

STEPHEN HARROD BUHNER'S "HEALING LYME" book.

The rest is history.

Hallelujah! And you saw the light.

quote:
...AND now I can really SEE again.

REALLY?

quote:
NOW I do NOT have brain fog anymore.

THIS is debatable.

When Lou commented:
---------------
"You see what happens when things like this are recommended to people who are sick and not up to researching? They ask questions like: Are sassafras and sarsaparilla the same thing?"
---------------
...He was referring to Dana's question - NOT Gigi.

Your obnoxious, paranoid comments, your readiness to jump on anyone who doesn't embrace what YOU do - lock, stock and barrel, and your constant pontificating, are BECOMING more than ANNOYING.

Posts: 81 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CLC
Member # 7112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the feeling there's a lot of behind-the-scenes nonsense going on here that I am not privy to.....one faction quarreling with another?

That being said, I probably shouldn't have posted my distaste for JimBob's commentary. Particularly if it means I'd be accused of condoning censorship in any form.

I do not.

Posts: 81 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

My Dear CLC:

My, My, MY.

The jerks just come out of the woodwork, don't they?!?!?!

MAYBE IF you would actually READ what IS written, you would understand. However, it is PLAIN YOU do NOT.

Check this post by GIGI I have just copied from THIS thread, exactly as it was POSTED. NOTICE, it is POSTED BY GIGI, NOT Dana. Dana's post came MUCH later in this thread.

READ before putting mouth in gear, is the old adage that is appropriate here.
##

GiGi
Frequent Contributor
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted 03-21-2006 10:38 AM Profile for GiGi Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post

Lou, interesting. Would you please pull up the text about the cancer-causing effects/research on Smilax - I am not talented when it comes to fnding these Pub Meds. Thank you. Posts: 3534 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged

CLC:

WOULD you LIKE me to go ON and ON, and waste MY time on YOU.

I think I will NOT.

IT is QUITE obvious you do not READ what is written, just SKIM like so many and do NOT put any REAL thought into your posts, what LITTLE you DO post.

"I" at least TRY to HELP others.

YOUR post, showing MY quotes proves THAT quite well, IMHO.

"Nuff said.

Jim

ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 9 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW, now I see why many went to the "other" site that some of the oldtimers here started. Sheesh, what ever happened to each to their own?

I am appaled at the way you all are writing to one another, some people just don't play well with others.

I read everything that all of you have to say here and use MY brain to decide what is best in our situation with my daughter. I have always looked to the two boards I frequent for help not a bunch of insults and fighting.

You should all be ashamed for insulting each other and apologize and play nice.

--------------------
ICEY

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

ICEY:

SOME of us on here TRY to HELP others to find what WE have found works for us.

AND SOME who have read it are trying it, and I have had many good reports from them.

BUT some, who have neither the fortitude nor the expertise to at least TRY something that COULD be of superior value in treating this horrendous disease, even though they have suffered for years and years in some cases, with abx. They still cling to it, like it was their saviour.

I have read literally hundreds of their posts. And I just can't help myself from wondering WHY, would they or anyone WANT to keep on with something, when they not only see that it has not got them peace, and a fairly pain free life, but causes many of them pain also?

I am sorry, but it gets very depressing to me.

I much prefer to HELP people. But then you get someone who clearly knows NOTHING about what is being done here by me AND others like GiGi, to make others feel better and BE better.

They don't even read half the posts on the subjects, and then they come up with some rediculous statements demeaning and tearing down the GOOD stuff that all comes out of this. At least research ALL avenues on a subject BEFORE you spout off, is MY opinion.

I do not mean YOU specifically, ICEY, but those in general.

I treat others the way they treat me. I probably treat them better, most of the time.

I have spent an average of 3 to 4 hours per day, seven days a week for the past four months; reading, studying, emailing, asking questions, answering questions about this Lyme Disease, and it downright makes me angry when someone can't even respect at least that.

IF someone doesn't LIKE what I am saying, simply do NOT read my posts. Period. BUT do not try to stop others who are honest, sincere and WANT to find the help that is available for them and all of us IF we are humble enough to grasp it.

To be humble is to be teachable.

Jim

[Cool]

JimBoB
Unregistered

YES, CLC, IF you go and read for hours and hours, YOU too will be privy to WHAT is and has been going on here for the past few months.

I did. But, I don't stand for BS in any way, shape or form. It better be factual, or related that it is not, IF I am going to read it and act on it.

Not everything is.

I was a journeyman printer back in the day. (12 years in the newpaper and magazine business).

I have pretty much seen it all, good and bad and indifferent. I prefer the good, but will report on the bad, IF I feel SOMEONE will benefit from it.

Jim

[Cool]

JimBoB
Unregistered

Hi GiGi:

I almost missed your last post. Just saw it.

Thanks for the support. YOU keep up the good work too, God knows how many need it on here.

By the way, I got another amalgam removed yesterday, and another tooth filled. Composite, of course.

I have four more Amalgams to have removed yet, but as you know I don't have that much Social Security coming in, and it has taken 2/3 of my check each month so far to pay for this.

Hopefully by fall I can have them all out. THen IF I can sell another old car or two this year, I want to get an upper partial plate, (Plastic).

Do you remember HOW much that porcelain plate cost you in Germany? IS there ANYONE doing those over here NOW?

Jim [Cool]

GiGi
Member # 259

Jim, when you remove these fillings, etc., and also when you take the herbs, look at my post on neurotoxins released. Robi posted on "low voltage vibrations, etc". You may not sense them. But be sure that you consider some of these mop-up agents.

It is becoming more and more clear that it is not the spirochetes, the bugs, that are giving us the major problems. It is the neurotoxins that remain and shift around in our body. I am not sure that the herbs like Smilax etc. pick up all of them, especially when some of them fall into the heavy metal category. I just don't know.
I do know that all Dr. K. patients always are alerted to the mop-ups as Chlorella, Chitosan, Apple Pectin, Betasitosterol, Cholestyramine, etc.
Look up that post.

There is nothing more miserable than recirculating neurotoxins. I will post more when I have time.

The dentures (full): they cost a fortune no matter what. The German ones cost as much as here, but they fit and I can eat with them. They feel like my own teeth.

Partials: You just need to check that you get them made out of compatible material. Flexite, a plastic, is used. But I am sure there are more. I just have not kept up with some of this recently. And even dentists or denturists (who cost much less/denturists) are slowly grasping the problems, as they themselves get ill more and more. One way to put them out of business and stop them from damaging people! Sorry, most dentists are not my favorite people.

You will be much less sensitive to any material, once you start to get the neurotoxins out. Read the list on www.neuraltherapy.com/articlesNeurotoxin Elimination Protocol. He wrote that years ago and it is still as true today as back then.

Take care.

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The end of this thread is really pathedic. people slamming other people. People calling other people stupid.

Lets keep to the subject and stay away from bickering.
Lets all allow people the right to express their opinion without mud throwing.

I asked a simple question here. Are the two herbs the same? All I expect is a simple answer. Yes or no, not to be acussed of being simple minded or confused.

It's not the qibbling over what works or doesn't work. Its the mud slinging, name calling and general childish behavior,that I feel would be enough to drive me off this board.

Come on. Lets be nice to each other,stick to the questions asked here and keep the accusation and name calling the the infectious disease ducks

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GETTING BACK TO THE TOPIC,

Gigi,
I bought my Sarsaparilla from Raintree in bulk powder form. They recommended making it via concoction.

If I take it without cooking it up, is that what is in the pill form and how do I know how much to take directly?

Posts: 175 | From ma. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

LUCY:

IF you take it in pill form, then you will know for sure what you are getting. I don't remember IF Buhner says to make a concoction of it or not.

I buy MY Sarsaparilla in bulk form now too. I just put them in the empty capsules you can buy from either StarWest Botanicals OR from WonderLabs.com. Or you can get some from VitaCost.com also, IF I remember right. Probably many other places to get them also.

I personally have NOT made any concoctions of Sarsaparilla yet.

I take four capsules, three times a day. Later I will go down to a maintenance dose of maybe two capsules a day. But is it necessary to use more now that I am such heavy dosages of other herbs.

Jim

[Cool]

GiGi
Member # 259

Really, I do not think it is a good idea just to pick up a clue here and there as to how to use the herbals, any herbals. You should learn every detail about them before you do anything. If you end up getting loose stool because of "something" you are doing, you will never figure out the reason why. Learn before you do.

Herbals can be used as decoctions, as tinctures.
The tinctures make it into the brain a lot quicker than when you take the powder. Dr. K. I know prefers tinctures most the time, but also uses other forms. Sometimes it is good to take a variety of them, powder and tinctures.

Decoctions work great if you want to apply them to the skin directly, certain areas that bother you. Poultices are great to use when your knee hurts, or whatever. Decoctions can be taken as tea.

This info can be had from the places that sell herbals, from Stephen Buhner's book, from many places. It's best to inform yourself.

Certain herbs are constipating, certain ones can cause loose stool, certain ones are tough on the stomach. They all differ and it is a good thing to know and to be able to identify what may be doing what, so that you can balance things out.

Take care.
P.S. Making decoctions daily is quite a chore.
I used to do a series of chinese herbs that way years ago and it was a task to cook and boil down these things every day.

JimBoB
Unregistered

Yes, I agree GiGi.

It is enough of a job just to put the bulk into the empty capsules and to make the tincture.

BUT it does make me feel at least semi useful while watching TV to fill a hundred capsules or so.

When you first start out, it seems like too much of a chore to do all that studying, and it is mind boggling. But after awhile, it becomes much easier and actually FUN at times.

So you should not be afraid of tackling it.

Jim [Cool]

JimBoB
Unregistered

LUCY:

I just went back to Buhner's Book to make sure that I have been doing it right all this time, and I have.

HE recommends using it in capsules of 425 to 500mg each and does NOT mention concoctions anywhere that I can see.

I can see where Raintree might mention doing it as a concoction as it has been used for many centuries as a concoction. Remember the old cowboy movies from the 50's and 60's where this guy would shimmy up to the bar and ask for a Sarsaparilla?

It used to be used in Root Beer for the longest time. I don't know of any company that still does, but there might be.

Jim [Cool]

lucy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So JimBob,
If you are filling your own capsules, how do you know how many mgs.(of any particular substance) are in each capsule?

I may just be having a lyme moment here, but what exactly does mgs. refer to? Is it the weight, mass or active ingredients contained in the particular substance?

Posts: 175 | From ma. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7802

Gigi,
I did study the source,Raintree, from which I purchased the Sarsaparilla. They recommended decoction for better absorbtion.

Also,it was my LLMD who recommended I take it, so it was not without guidence that I chose it use it.

I also, as a rule, add only one new supplement at a time for 4-5 days at a time to check for adverse reactions.

What has become more and more clear to me is that no matter how much we/others think we know, each human body reacts in it's own way.

Nothing can be assumed. And, frankly, a lot of these herbs, in spite of traditional uses, have not had a lot (if any)long term studies done on them to determine their safety or effectiveness.

5dana8
Member # 7935

Hi Lucy

I bought a bottle of sasaparilla root
-nature's way 100 -450 mg.caps at iherb.com
for only $5.25.

Because in Buhner's book reccomended that 450-500mg per cap.

Now if you where to buy a $5 dollar bottle and then you would know what size cap they are talking about.

So if you get the empty pill caps you can purchase the same size as what you bought in a manufactured pill then you could know roughly the size and mg someone is reccomending.

I have noticed from filling caps for years that if you buy the right size cap & really pack it in there you would be getting very close to the recommemned mg of the manufactured cap.

hope this helps [Smile]

Make sure to talk over everything first wioth your LLMD.

take care
dana

--------------------
5dana8

JimBoB
Unregistered

Lucy and Dana:

Dana, are you using a machine? IF so, what brand?
I am using two machines and have bought another, but may send it back as I think "The Capsule Machine" machines that I have are superior for MY style of filling them.

Lucy, mg stands for milligrams. That is a measurement of WEIGHT, solids, as opposed to ml, milliliters which is a measurement of liquid.

The Sarsaparilla capsules you buy from the commercial fillers are the "0" size. But I wrote Stephen Buhner a couple of months ago on what size to use, and HE recommended the "00" size. He did NOT say WHY, but I assume for several reasons.

First, you will NOT be as consistent as the commercial people on filling the capsules, not matter how much you tamp and pack, but on most of these whole herbs, THAT is NOT too important as it is NOT like trying to fill capsules with abx which can be "killers" if you err.

When I fill the 00 size capsules, I figure IF I take THREE of them it is very close to taking four (4) of the 0 size capsules.

I bought my Sarsaparilla capsules already filled for a long time, but am now filling my own. Sarsaparilla is not very expensive, so it was not as critical to fill my own on them as it was on other herbs that are a lot more expensive, like Resveratrol and others.

There IS a place on the net to get the approximate figure of mg's in each size of capsule, but I can't remember where it was. Google it.

I fill both the 0 size and the 00 size. But right now I am out of the 0 size so am using only the 00 size till I get some more. It doesn't take long to go through 1000 capsules when you are taking about 80 a day.

Hope this all helps.

Jim [Cool]

spookydew
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spookydew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi,
Where can I get a pound of sarsaparilla? I've
been taking a blood blend with yarrow dock or
root or something,sarsaparilla, and dandelion
I think.Anyway, I feel great since taking it.

Posts: 290 | From ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spookydew
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spookydew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi,
Also does sarsaparilla come in an essential oil?
Or can it be made into one?
Thanks.

Posts: 290 | From ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

spookydoo

Have you tryed www.raintre.com ?

I think they carry the pound size.

--------------------
5dana8

JimBoB
Unregistered

Spookydew:

You can get the Sarsaparilla in bulk, by the pound from 1stChineseHerbs.com or StarWestBotanicals.com, quite reasonable. Be careful that it is NOT the stuff from India. It will say where the origin is on the package, and sometimes in the advertisement.

Also Try Mountainroseherbs.com they seem to have very high quality products and very conscious of it.

They have it from Mexico for $10.25 and from Jamaica for $22.00. I am not sure it if is quality, or what that makes the Jamaican root more expensive. You might ask them.

Get your empty capsules from WonderLaboratories or StarWest Botanicals.

I have switched over to vegetarian capsules, but have used the bovine gelatin capsules also.

Jim [Cool]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement