LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Did Treating Co-infects! Change Your Life?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did Treating Co-infects! Change Your Life?
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

If you were taking abx/herbs for (Lyme),for some time, and were not at the time being treated for co-infects, but made a change in whatever form,

meaning finding a new LLMD, or having the one you see test or treat you for co-infects to see what happens.....

Did you begin to see progress and if so, how much, and what activities could you resume doing, and what symptoms were you cured of?

Thanks,

[ 05. April 2006, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: BostonLyme2005 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this post is about someone I know..

(I am in south jersey so unfortunately I no several other people who had lyme a long tim eand to varying degrees of "bad")

She was treated for lyme for about 10 years.

Then finally I think she changed docs...

turned out she had babesia.

When the babesia was addressed she started getting better.

With treatment she recovered from both the babesia and the lyme.

Best wishes [Smile]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Hi Azure,

sounds great! Thanks for the post!

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not treating coinfections will likely not change the progression of your disease. In other words, if you don't treat them, you will likely remain sick and your chances of improving are much, much lower. It is the most important thing you can do.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BostonLyme2005:
Hi,

meaning finding a new LLMD,

Yes, this made a HUGE difference.

Do a search lots of info on this

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realized a 90% improvement after switching LLMD's and being treated for co-infections. It's a must!

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My co-infections, bart, mycoplasma and RMSF all responded well to the same abx I took for lyme, tetra. I tested neg for babs, but did two rounds of mepron to be on the safe side.
Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesly
Member # 8528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rob,

I went through the whole Lyme treatment (IV Rocephin and shots of bicillin), but I was still sick. My Dr. decided to treat Babesia, to see if this was the reason why I wasn't getting anywhere.

I tested neg. for Babs, but after she was treating me for a couple months the test was positive. I was on Mepron, Clindamycin and Artemesia (sp?) for a year+ and now the test is neg.....

And the best part is I really am starting to feel better for the first time in years.

Now we are treating the Lyme disease again. Also I've been on Stephen Buhner's ("Healing Lyme") protocol....and I think the herbs are helping, too. As well as exercise.

Susan [hi]

Posts: 92 | From Shepherdstown, WV | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Limesly, thank you so much for sharing that. I have an appointment next week with my LLMD. I feel that 9 months on abx and I am still not doing well at all, though there has been minimal improvement. I want to be treated for the coinfections. I will use your example to talk to him.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesly
Member # 8528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jeff,

Your welcome! I'm so happy when I can help. I agree with you....treat the co-infections, even if you test negative. I've heard that co-infections are the rule....not the exception.

Best of luck!

Susan [hi]

Posts: 92 | From Shepherdstown, WV | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treatment for co-infections made an enormous difference in my overall health, Babesia and bartonella treatment in particular cleared my brain of fog and confusion, stopped the fevers and chills and sweats too. Overall very large improvement. Could drive my truck again and be independent!
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Hi Everyone and thanks!

I dont have the fevers, chills, sweats, and stuff, but I am going to be tested by MDL next week and I am trying to get intouch with another LLMD to treat me for co's....

lymesly
Member # 8528

I only had slight night sweats....but still had Babs. The rest of my symptoms could be Lyme or co's.
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Thanks Guys,

I placed a call to the other LLMD's office that I will be seeing soon, or, atleast speaking with the LLMD on the phone.....

He is on vaca and will be back on Monday...I will see what he thinks about co-infects, (he treats them), I am having MDL do a few panels on Monday......

My PCP is working with me as I cont. with Tetra.....

I have had a few more good days this week! They keep coming slowly, too slow for me!

Thanks,

lymesly
Member # 8528

Aren't good days wonderful!!! But then you get a taste of what you are missing.
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, the coinfection that has made the biggest difference is treating a toxic mold exposure. Not everything that makes you sick comes from a tick's mouth!

In addition, I have had to treat the more common TBDs, and yes, they have all made a big difference.

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corgilla
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corgilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm chiming in here.

I was treated for Lyme for 1.5 years even though I tested positive for Bart and HME (non-Igenex tests). I never improved. In fact, I thought my whole life was one constant herx.

I switched doctors and had an equivicol (Igenex) Babs Elisa. Was treated for 6 months and impoved greatly.

I am also a mold/neurtoxin susceptible person and using CSM (see www.chronicneurtoxins.com) improved my health even more.

I think all I have left now are Lyme and Bart. My life is a whole lot more liveable. I go out more, I shop, I have many more good days than bad. I basically feel the way I did when I had TBDs but didn't have anything quite bad enough to worry too much about. A whole lot of really bad things that I dealt with are gone.

Of course, I'm still in treatment and herxing brings stuff back but it only takes a little while to figure out what it is and do something about it.

I also want to add that many LLMDs were treating for Babs empirically at about this time lsat year and a bunch of people had great results.

Good Luck with your new LLMD,

Corgilla

[ 07. April 2006, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Corgilla ]

--------------------
"I'll never forget good old Whatsisname."

Posts: 694 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went downhill fast when my previous LLMD did not treat me for coinfections...I actually ended up worse than before I was diagnosed...

I left that LLMD and finally found a new one who saved my life...literally...

I was put on many rounds of mepron and zithro...it saved me..

Treating coinfections are the most important part of this treatment in my opinion...

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, not sure it made ALL the difference, but it got rid of one germ, which feels like progress to me.

Doc I was seeing diagnosed (thank you) and treated me for babesia. But it was not long enough and I ended up losing 35 pounds (too much) and for some reason he was reluctant to keep treating it. When I switched docs, got more treatment and think babs at least is gone (knock on wood). It took a total of 8 months of babesia treatment to get to that point. Some people need even more. This is sure not what the books say.

Didn't have bartonella, but some people find that treating for it made a big difference in their symptoms.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesly
Member # 8528

I was treated for Babs for a year+.
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Thanks,

I am soon going to meet with another LLMD that will go over some tests and symptom checks and see where I am with co-infects...

This guy tests, treats for co's, yeast, good programs, etc....

I hope I can gain huge ground in a few weeks!

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with your new doc Rob [Smile]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
big lenny
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for big lenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how accurate are the tests for these co infections?
Posts: 259 | From new york | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD started me on Mepron for Babs, he said there were other options out there but this is his first choice med for it.

I am not sure how accurate the tests are. He uses the Igenex test and said that he does not think the Bowen co-infection tests are reliable.

He also said that if we didn't treat the Babs that I wouldn't make further progress in my Lyme treatment. He says that treating any co-infections is an absolute must.

Good luck with your new LLMD, Rob.

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esthermax
Member # 8602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for esthermax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,Yes and more yes!

Getting treated for Babesia and Bartonella seemed to make a big difference in my improvement.

Babesia dx was purely a CLINICAL for me. 6 mos. on Mepron, Zithromicin and artemesian for treatment. Doxy for the Bart for 3 months.

I did improve (pain lessened, lots weird s/s lessened) after initial LD tx, but I still couldn't DO anything until the Babs treatment. I am convienced tx for the Babs has made all the difference in my symptoms getting mostly under control. And me getting back to a semi-so-called normal life.
(I also followed a strict, to me anyway, diet, suppliment, and lifestyle regime.)

As with LD, some docs feel that co-infections are rare. And if they know nothing about Lyme, I bet they really will roll there eyes at the suggestion of the oh-so rare-you-don't have-that "co-infections".
But things are changing!
Good luck.

Posts: 18 | From mid-atlantic | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

I am F-ING Dying today!
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob,

I hope your day gets better. since it doesn't sound like it's off to a particularly good start.

Also, keep us updated re the new appointment and any progress you're making with regard to co infections and treatment.

To the poster who raised the issue of treatment for other tick-borne diseases:
I'm on rifampin for Bartonella.
Some of my symptoms have completely disappeared and others have diminished significantly.

I hope this helps!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

HI Andie,

I did not sleep too well last night and I have a host of symptoms acting up, but I will press on even though I wish to go home and chill for a year!

I wil keep you updated, all of you!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by big lenny:
how accurate are the tests for these co infections?

They're very unreliable. My LLMD treats all of his patients for all of the co-infections.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Thanks,

I am on my way to Cali! [Smile]

I am travelling an hour away, not really far, but I have to do it....

I hope we all become well soon! TODAY!

BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

I will see another Lyme LLMD Dr. on the 18th of May!

She has a great deal of knowledge I am told and she tests and treats for co-infects.....and I will be there!

BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

This is my next step. I wish I had done this earlier, maybe I would not have suffered for so long.
caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES YES YES YES YES !!!!

Was recently treated for Bartonella. Tests for it were all negative. It was my best guess- LLMD thought babs, I thought bart. I'm now 5 or 6 weeks off all antibiotics except flucanazole for yeast and mold issues.

For the first time in 3+ years I have NOT relapsed into meningitis within 2 to 5 days after stopping antibiotics. Yay!! No meningitis, no ataxia! No comprehension drop! No feeling of bugs crawling all over me! Fingers crossed. This is a BIG issue for me.

All other symptoms are still here in varying degrees. I think some like heart and bone issues may be permenant damage. Bad arthritis. But will have to wait and see what happens. I also still have some kind of GI infection which I guess is not lyme or bart. I think both lyme and bart are gone.

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

Yup - you Have to treat coinfections
to get well again--

When I started Babs treatment it has
made a Huge differance for me --
Quickly--

For babs I have taken Mepron-
Bactrim DS and Artemisinin--

I was relapsing with babs so I upped
my dose of Art to 1200mg a day--
and so far it has stopped the babs
dead in tis tracks--AAhhh

Test for co infections are Poor at best--
my tests (Igenx) came back (IND)

I have both Lyme and Babs- For Sure-
Every test that that I have Ever taken
(years) has come back -Clean-

I personally give Zero weight to test
results in my discision making --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chroniccosmic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chroniccosmic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm jumping in here too.

Was sick for 5-6 years before getting a lyme diagnosis. I was so excited to be on doxy and have a name for this crummy thing.

Stayed on doxy for 4 months while looking for a very savvy LLMD. I got a little better on doxy alone. The new LLMD started treatment for babesia first because my symptoms fit that the best.

We have done clindamycin/quinine and biaxin/plaquenil. I have also added very slowly in Artemesia (per Stephen Buhner's book). All have helped tremendously and so far has been my biggest leap.

I have to join the bandwagon on treating co-infections!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 460 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Cool!

I dont see myself taking Biaxin/Plaq again!

I hope something turns out on Thursday!

BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

I hope the same happens with me!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement