LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Guillain Barre and Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guillain Barre and Lyme
daystar1952
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello

I was in the hospital visiting my mom and her roomate has undefined stomach pain and all tests show nothing is wrong. I asked if she had any other symptoms cause I had severe stomach pain a few times with Lyme. She said no.

But....then later she tells me she has a neurological disease....Guillain Barre. I mentioned Lyme to her and told her that lyme can mimic many of these diseases. Is Guillain Barre one of them?

I'm hoping to find some papers on a possible correlation that I can give her tomorrow. If anyone has any thoughts, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Margie

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
santa_pax
Member # 8318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for santa_pax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.pidj.org/pt/re/pidj/abstract.00006454-200601000-00025.htm;jsessionid=DQk1i0o2Aj2i2dHQHrJxlgctNYZY1k9I2Uvo1iSQ6CRq1N0eBiJq!-786779307!-949856145!9001!-1

Article:

BARTONELLA HENSELAE INFECTION ASSOCIATED WITH GUILLAIN-BARRE SYNDROME.

Posts: 58 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hides1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hides1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a friend a few years ago in NJ that was in the hospital for a few days because she couldn't walk. They did lots of tests on her and found she had GBS. SHe also had Bells Palsy with it. No one tested her for lyme or the coinfections. They treated her with the immunogloblins.

A nurse gave her the card of a LLMD and she went there a few weeks later. She got tested through MDL. SHe was positive for Lyme and Bartonella.

Please tell your friend to get tested! They can be related!

Posts: 238 | From Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps someone can use the
www.tinyurl.com on Santa pax's post so the thread goes back to normal width vs. super-wide for me.

This thread looks interesting but w/neuro lyme, I can't toggle left/right per line & comprehend.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I was diagnosed, Guillain-Barre was considered by my neurologists as a possibility.
Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife was in the ICU. Couldn't walk, paralyzed.

They said GBS.

Turned out she had Lyme and Bartonella.

- Mike

Posts: 153 | From Watertown, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil M Martin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2357

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Neil M Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Syndromes major on symptoms, minor on causes.

According Drs., GBS is auto immune. A deranged immune system eats holes in the myelin sheaths that cover peripheral nerves. Whith their sheaths shreaded the nerve can't properly transmit impulses. Paralysis (paresis) may ensue.

The onset is usually rapid, distal to proximal.
If torso nerves are involved the patient may need to be ventilated.

The Bart-GBS link hints at a possible LD-GBS or LD-SARS link?

My neuro said we don't know why immune sys get an appetite for myelin sheaths but viruses were suspect because GBS cases rose disproportionately in persone vaccinated for swine flu in the '70's.

Begging Q: what role infection plays in GBS and how to find and eliminate that role

To posts you already have add Dr. B's Treatment Guide. He touches on GBS and nixes steroids - which make infections worse and (some say) maybe impossible to eradicate.

Other GBS treatments include plasphamapheresis and Immune globulin. IG boosts immune system; helps to fight bugs. If IG helps do antibiotics add attitional help?

(Does IG + abx work better than IG alone?)

Plasphamapheresis may temporarily flush bugs out blood but does not flush bugs out of other tissues.

GBS requires a team w/ neuro & nephrologist & PCP and maybe ent. It is "confirmed" with EMG test.

I'm not a Dr. but it seems logical to consider tick borne diseases, osteonecrosis of hips and/or jaws and other potential infections.

Keep us posted

[email protected]

--------------------
Neil

Posts: 697 | From Tucson, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement