LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » questran?? anybody taking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: questran?? anybody taking
chroniclymie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anybody get relief from toxic waste using questran.\
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good evening Chronic,

Yes, my doc put me on questran for a couple of months when I became way too toxic. It helped tremendously.

There has been much discussion here...so try to do a search for more experiences, OK?

My best,
Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are several substances that help with removing to toxins from the body:

Cholestyramine/Questran, Chlorella pyrenoidosa, Chlorella vulgaris, Betasitosterol, Apple pectin, Chitosan.

Cholestyramine is probably the hardest to take. It is also constipating, while some of the others I mentioned have immense nutrient value.

Read: www.chronicneurotoxins.com

[ 07. April 2006, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: GiGi ]

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ebrischoux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ebrischoux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son has had success using questran..Had a horrible time with herxing and it has helped so far..On it a month....

Does anyone know if you can use the other items listed by GIGI with questran, specifically cholrella?

Thanks Eileen

Posts: 127 | From Rock Tavern, New York | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corgilla
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corgilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I love CSM/Cholestyramine/Questran. I started with 4 a day and after a while only needed 1-2 a day. I haven't used it lately but I know I've got some if I need it.

It does cause some constipation but I took psyllium along with it and had no more problems.

Part of the detox is dragging toxins out of hiding and boosting up your bile production. Adding chlorrela might cause too much toxic flow. I would try one at a time.

During my 4/day period, I had gall bladder pain. I had an ultrasound that showed nothing. My LLMD said it was probably sludgey and the CSM was breaking it up.

All in all, I've had very good results with CSM.

Take care,

Corgilla

--------------------
"I'll never forget good old Whatsisname."

Posts: 694 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worked well for me for a long time. No longer need it. Never caused constipation but some minor irritation of stomach easly controlled by anti-acids.

[ 07. April 2006, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Areneli ]

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corgilla:
During my 4/day period, I had gall bladder pain. I had an ultrasound that showed nothing. My LLMD said it was probably sludgey and the CSM was breaking it up.

[/QB]

I think that's what happened to me. I finally had to stop taking it because it caused so much stomach distress.

Several years later I had to have my gall bladder removed. [not because of the CSM]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had very good success with using cholestyramine to relieve constant herxing and pain. Do a search on cholestyramine/CSM/Questran and you will find lots of info.

The best book out currently is Mold Warriors. Even though the title addresses mold issues, it also talks about neurotoxic problems from Lyme, and details how to treat it, including choletyramine and a number of other protocols, depending on exactly how you are affected.

www.moldwarriors.com

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ebrischoux:

Does anyone know if you can use the other items listed by GIGI with questran, specifically cholrella?

You could use the chlorella to replace one dose of the questran. Otherwise, they would end up binding each other, if you took them at the same time.

You need to take very high doses of chlorella to even come close to the binding properties of questran. I've found the chlorella doesn't help for pain control for me, but it is a good supplement for the nutrient value it has. It may just not be strong enough for what I need, as far as a binder. YMMV

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ebrischoux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ebrischoux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all

Just a side note here...On Wednesday we had to take my son to urgent care for a tongue pain which showed nothing BTW but doc gave antifungal anyway and got home so late that I didnt have time to give the questran...First time in a month.....That night he had a complete meltdown again...Aggressive...but not as bad as they had been prior to questran....

The next morning I gave him the antifungal Mycelex (which says can cause vomitting) and it did...So he vomitted all his supplements and questran....another hard day for him...alot of yelling for no reason...very angry....Until I gave him nite dose of questran and he calmed down alot....

Today we had no problems at all....

So this is my testimonial to how well questran is working for my son and how much he needs it to detox....Eileen

Posts: 127 | From Rock Tavern, New York | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Lou. Set your sights on keeping it beaten back and enjoying a life that is as normal as possible. Have you tried Bicillin LA? There are a lot of peole her who have found it to be more effective than anything else they have tried. This abstract is old but hopeful nevertheless.

The Lyme Disease Network
Conference Abstract

Title: Intramuscular Bicillin For Persistent Pediatric Lyme Disease
Authors: Corsaro L; Montemayer M; Fallon B
Conference: 9th Annual International Scientific Conference on Lyme Disease & Other Tick-Borne Disorders, Westin Copley Plaza Hotel, Boston, MA, April 19-20, 1996
Presenter: Louis Corsaro, M.D.
Northern Westchester Hospital
Columbia University, New York City

Abstract:
Steere et al ('85) reported that 3 weeks of IM benzathine penicillin led to a complete resolution of Lyme arthritis in 35% of patients. Cimmino and Accardo ('92) reported two cases of adult patients with chronic Lyme arthritis resistant to the recommended antibiotic regimens who were cured by 2-6 months of treatment with benzathine penicillin. Based solely on these reports, the use of IM Penicillin among patients with persistent Lyme disease has become common. As a preliminary study of efficacy, we conducted a chart review and follow-up of all patients with seropositive Lyme disease treated with IM Bicillin in a private pediatric out-patient office in a Lyme endemic area between 1993 and 1995.

Methods: The diagnosis of Lyme disease was based on at least one seropositive test and typical articular or neurological symptoms. Treatment consisted of either Bicillin LA or CR 1.2-2.4 million units administered weekly. Relapse was defined as the return of any symptoms which required greater than two weeks of Abx treatment. To assess efficacy, the longest period without symptoms prior to IM Bicillin was compared to the symptom free interval after bicillin.

Results: 61 charts were reviewed of which 25 met study criteria for seropositive Lyme disease. Mean age at time of chart review 11.9 +/- 4.4 years. Mean age at time of Lyme disease onset was 9.4 +/- 4.3 years. Mean duration of symptoms prior to the administration of antibiotics was 16 +/- 32 weeks. All patients failed to sustain improvement after courses of oral antibiotics ranging from 4 to 22 weeks (mean 25.9 +/- 29 wks; median 14 wks). Five children received IV antibiotics and all failed to sustain improvement despite having received 4-27 weeks of IV treatment (mean 9.6 +?- 9.8 wks; median 6 weeks). The longest period free of clinically significant Lyme disease since symptom onset and prior to receiving IM Bicillin ranged from 0-76 wks (mean 60.2 +/- 84.2 wks.; median 8 wks). Of the twenty-five patients given IM PCN, the mean duration of IM treatment was 4-38 weeks (mean 14.5 +/- 8.9 wks; median 10.5 wks). One was still receiving treatment at the time of follow-up and another was symptom free having just completed treatment. Of the 23 children available to assess relapse after treatment, 19 were symptom free, 3 had mild symptoms that did not require treatment, and 1 relapsed and was being retreated. Among the 22 relapse free children, the follow-up period ranged from 2 to 62 week (mean 27 +/- 15.5 wks; median 22 wks). Seventeen of the 22 children had exceeded their longest relapse free interval prior to IM Bicillin, 14 of whom had been relapse free by more than twice the duration of their pre-Bicillin relapse free interval.

Conclusion: A chart review and follow-up studies suggest that intramuscular Bicillin may be a particularly effective treatment for children with antibiotic refractory persistent Lyme disease whether previously treated orally or with
intravenous antibiotics.

Unique ID: 96LDF025

The Lyme Disease Network of NJ, Inc.
43 Winton Road
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
http://www.lymenet.org/

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement