LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » SOS...daughter having many symptoms out of the blue, lyme??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SOS...daughter having many symptoms out of the blue, lyme??
JavaBeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JavaBeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello friends,

Husband and I are seeing many symptoms building up this last week...didn't want to think it's lyme, but things are happening quickly, and we are getting quite nervous and need your advice and knowledge.

First, about a 2 months ago, daughter had a small "flea-like" on her face...we have pets, so didn't think alot about it. A few days later, it became reddish rash, size of an adult thumb. Trying not to think it was a tick...and we took her to her pediatrician, who said ringworm (there was a couple cases at her school).

We tried anti-fungal lotions, and it didn't really do anything...but it didn't qutie look like my rash 3 years ago ( and we moved since then...)and she showed no other symptoms.

Within these last couple of weeks, she's had a cold/flu bug off and on....but then her entire school has had this bug going around where the kids and staff have been down for many days. My daughter had the aches, fevers, hard time sleeping...again, lyme was always in the back of our thoughts, but her friends were down with same virus, so we weren't too alarmed.

This last week, she's starting to have trouble sleeping, concentrating and this is the strangest symptom...becomeing very OCD with thoughts in her head (some of very scary things...none of which she's ever had problems/fears of before) and she says she feels she has to get these ideas out of her head...along with it within these last 4 days, shes VERY anxious, clammy and having cold sweats, headaches and dizzy.

We put phone calls out to my llmd and still waiting word back...but need to know if anyone else has shown the constant and quick onset of these strange OCD symptoms...she's very scared of why she's having these scary/dark thoughts, and why she has this urgent feeling to keep repeating them over and over...even though she had just told us the same thing just a few minutes earlier.

One of the scary thing for us and her, is that no matter what she watches, reads or see's...sets off her mind/thoughts into another avalanche of these scary thoughts. She said these thoughts are grossing her out, and this isn't her or her thoughts...which we try and console her and agree
that this just temporary...but honestly, it's very frightening for her dad and I too figure this out until our llmd calls. The things coming into her mind are nothing what our usual, smart, confident and easy-going 11 year daugher would ever think of, which has us additionally scared and worried.

She's crying more and more, saying how miserable and scared she is, and doesn't know why these feelings/"visuals" are in her head and she can't stand this, and she is very fearful and worried that she is going to do some of these "gross things" going through her thoughts. She needs our constant reassurance that this isn't her fault...it's breaking our hearts feeling so limited to what we can do right now.

All we can do is to keep hugging and holding her and trying to explain this isn't "her" and she's going to be okay, and we're going to find what's happening. But it's not helping very much right now...the fears and thoughts are very overwhelming for her.

Friends, this is very difficult for us to understand, we're hoping there's someone on the board who can relate or offer an explaination of what is happening...can lyme progress to OCD thought behavior within such a short time,especially with a child?

Our many thanks in advance for ANY help, we are quite worried and appreciate anything you can offer...it's getting where we're wondering if something else is wrong due to the fact this has come on so fast.

JavaBeing

Posts: 208 | From Portland, OR USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my, when it rains it pours, doesn't it!!? [Mad] I think testing thru Igenex would be a very good idea at this point. I wonder if it's too early though?

Call your LLMD's office tomorrow. I'm so sorry for this ongoing nightmare you are living!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good evening Java,

I am SO sorry to know that your precious one is experiencing such a difficult time.

I just wanted to let you know that the first thing that came to my mind was that fleas CAN and DO pass on Bartonella.

As yo may know, Bartonella is also a Co-infection that is notorious for causing emotional disturbances.

It is also well documented that bites to the head are more likely to show quicker and more extreme symptomology.

I do hope this in not what is happening with your loved one, but wanted to throw those thoughts out there for you and your doc to consider.

All my best,
melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another possibility:

quote:
daughter had a small "flea-like" on her face
The "flea-like" could be the tick nymph, which is the size of the head of a pin.

The nymphs are highly infective.

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JavaBeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JavaBeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tutu and Melanie,

Thanks gals for answering so quickly...we appreciate the thoughts and reassurance. We are taking her in tomorrow for testing and have messages left for Dr H in California and two ND that work with lyme. We are justing looking/hoping for some info that this strange and fast OCD symptom has been seen/experienced by someone else. It is beyond scary how much this has captured her mentally.

Thanks for the reminder about bart and flea bites Melanie...I've been dx with Bart too, and my symptoms are mostly all neuro as well. I've just never heard of OCD problems such as this, happening so quickly. I did get an additional rash to my shoulder the same time her's appeared, and mine was diagnoised as late stage lyme, but perhaps it was trigger by fleas? We are taking our pets in for evaluation just to check things out.

I've got to go...my daughter's becoming very upset again and her thoughts seemed to be trapped/obsessed with these thoughts...I didn't think anything was as hard as this disease until I got it.. but as a parent, it plays beyond your own personal fears.

Thanks again Tutu and Melanie...it helps just to know someones supporting us right now.

JavaBeing

Posts: 208 | From Portland, OR USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to take pictures of any rashes for your files.

Hubby has always had dreams and since the Lyme his are often scary. He is 51 and worries about "spooks" at night if he wakes up and I am not in the room.

His dreams have always been a strange mixture of things he reads or watches on TV combined with other memories of the past -- some very strange dreams since tickborne illnesses. He also says he dreams in color.

I have never thought about his moods as OCD -- just felt he was overly anxious and worried. A fine line to walk I guess. He frequently wakes up at night and repeats things over and over and over -- almost like he is in a trance. It is usually something he has been dreaming about or worries over his health or finances...

The extent of this behavior varies greatly depending on what treatments and nutritional supplements he is taking.

Lack of sleep can really do strange things to a person mentally -- that and G.I. malabsortion issues are what landed hubby in the psych ward the first time -- about 6 months after flu-like illness but it was another year before Lyme diagnosis (plus babs and bartonella).

I personally think it is highly probable that your daughter has a tickborne illness that is causing these symptoms.

Does she have any light sensitivity or sound sensitivity ? -- those are classic symptoms of nervous system/brain involvement.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breaking this up for us neuro lymies to read. Java, please hit enter more often and double space bewtwen each paragraph. Thanks so much. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by JavaBeing:
Hello friends,
Husband and I are seeing many symptoms building up this last week...didn't want to think it's lyme, but things are happening quickly, and we are getting quite nervous and need your advice and knowledge.

First, about a 2 months ago, daughter had a small "flea-like" on her face...we have pets, so didn't think alot about it.

A few days later, it became reddish rash, size of an adult thumb. Trying not to think it was a tick...and we took her to her pediatrician, who said ringworm (there was a couple cases at her school).

We tried anti-fungal lotions, and it didn't really do anything...but it didn't qutie look like my rash 3 years ago ( and we moved since then...)and she showed no other symptoms.

Within these last couple of weeks, she's had a cold/flu bug off and on....but then her entire school has had this bug going around where the kids and staff have been down for many days.

My daughter had the aches, fevers, hard time sleeping...

Again, lyme was always in the back of our thoughts, but her friends were down with same virus, so we weren't too alarmed.

This last week, she's starting to have trouble sleeping, concentrating and this is the strangest symptom...becomeing very OCD with thoughts in her head (some of very scary things...none of which she's ever had problems/fears of before) and she says she feels she has to get these ideas out of her head...

along with it within these last 4 days, shes VERY anxious, clammy and having cold sweats, headaches and dizzy.

We put phone calls out to my llmd and still waiting word back...but need to know if anyone else has shown the constant and quick onset of these strange OCD symptoms...

she's very scared of why she's having these scary/dark thoughts, and why she has this urgent feeling to keep repeating them over and over...even though she had just told us the same thing just a few minutes earlier.

One of the scary thing for us and her, is that no matter what she watches, reads or see's...sets off her mind/thoughts into another avalanche of these scary thoughts.

She said these thoughts are grossing her out, and this isn't her or her thoughts...which we try and console her and agree that this just temporary...but honestly, it's very frightening for her dad and I too figure this out until our llmd calls.

The things coming into her mind are nothing what our usual, smart, confident and easy-going 11 year daugher would ever think of, which has us additionally scared and worried.

She's crying more and more, saying how miserable and scared she is, and doesn't know why these feelings/"visuals" are in her head and she can't stand this, and she is very fearful and worried that she is going to do some of these "gross things" going through her thoughts.

She needs our constant reassurance that this isn't her fault...it's breaking our hearts feeling so limited to what we can do right now.

All we can do is to keep hugging and holding her and trying to explain this isn't "her" and she's going to be okay, and we're going to find what's happening. But it's not helping very much right now...the fears and thoughts are very overwhelming for her.

Friends, this is very difficult for us to understand, we're hoping there's someone on the board who can relate or offer an explaination of what is happening...can lyme progress to OCD thought behavior within such a short time,especially with a child?

Our many thanks in advance for ANY help, we are quite worried and appreciate anything you can offer...it's getting where we're wondering if something else is wrong due to the fact this has come on so fast.
JavaBeing

So sorry to read about all of this; hope she can get some good help soon.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OCD is one symtpom I have been lucky enough to escape

but I have read others posts who said it was a part of their symptoms.

I am glad you have a good llmd. Hope her symptoms stop soon.

Best wishes [Smile]

Seibertneurolyme you said "He also says he dreams in color."

Doesnt everyone dream in color?

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New studies are finding that o.c.d. may be caused by a virus or infection.

There is plenty of new research out there on this. It might help to ease some of your worries to read up on it. Good luck [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Migraines, aches and mood disorders have been a part of my daughter's experience. I just thought it was hereditary. It still may be, but the Bartonella she has may ignite it.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin61
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin61     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Java, I had this happen to me when i was 27 now 44 way before being symptomatic with lyme and it hit suddenly i even lost a relationship due to it
lost a lot of sleep over it had to be on sleeping pills the darn thoughts just wouldn't stop most of them were directed at God and since i am a strong christian they really disturbed me and i was extremely depressed. I went to a therapist who told me to feel as this was everything that had ever happened to me coming to the surface. And by the way i grew up in a very angry household.This stuff went on forever and now rarely but now i have to wander after reading this if i didn't have lyme back then. Becuz if i did this ocd would have been my only symptom which i find very hard to believe that i had lyme then. Anyway, best wishes if i had a terrible thought i would turn it around in my head but it was literally like a war going on. It even still tries to happen sometime but for the most part no. Anyway, best wishes and i will keep your daughter in my prayers this is truly a disturbing thing for anyone! Robin in Houston

Posts: 121 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of plenty of others who have OCD with Lyme. My cousin is one of them.

But do check out the virus link....Maybe??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't had OCD. but, strange night dreams all the time. A friend with severe neuro lyme on east coast has horrific nightmares. My dreams are more mundane, but anxiety and starnge feelings are there.
Thoughts and prayers to you. Get daughter tested and treated ASAP. Sounds like TBD to me.

Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are various strains out there. Some can come on rapidly and viciously. I would think that time is of the essence.

My teenage son was playing football in Oct04 and three months later he was in a wheelchair, so yes, it can move quickly.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JavaBeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6321

Thank you everyone for your kind responses and input. We are still balancing the plates here, but have taken our daughter in for the IGENEX bart and lyme tests, as well as a blood chem panel,so at least we feel we are being more proactive than reactive (well, still some of that as well...can't help as a parent).

Unfortunately, the IGENEX will take a couple of weeks, but at least we can see with the blood work if there's any other infections that could be causing these symptoms.

Meanwhile, again while not trying to panic, our llmd suggested getting our animals tested (dog and cats) as possible carriers. Ran this by the vet, who was actually stumped with this request, as they had never had to do any of the such (especially bart on cats).

On her suggestion, we went back home while she called some other vets/labs on how to procede.
Later, she called back saying unless the animals were symptomatic, there was no reason to run tests, especially the cats. She had no idea if cats could be carriers, yet be fine themselves.

She stated that bart had no actual tests that concluded a cat was still a carrier, only that they "may" have been exposed with to it. And even with that, the tests give false negs/positives.

If anyone has had any luck with testing pets, and WHICH tests to go at, please let me know...being in Oregon, we are severly limited to the right resources or what tests are the most effective.

Thanks again for those who responded with experience with OCD...it helps alot to know others have shared this. I haven't had time to check out virus info, but will try as soon as situation allows.

I'm going through some hard chronic neuro stuff myself right now, so this has come down to mind over matter and using whatever mental resources that are left...just makes me so @#%*# mad that I can't focus or multi-task like I use to...as a mom, I hate feeling this inept and challenged.

Sorry about venting...just really scared I could've been the one to give my daughter this somehow. Not to mention worrying about my husband who has been rock solid through this with my stuff, is feeling abit overwhelmed thinking our little girl might have to deal with this as well.

Again, thanks EVERYONE many times for your help...and any further suggestions that may help and keeping us in your prayers. Be much harder to go through this without you all and this board to lean on.

[group hug] to all,
JavaBeing

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JavaBeing,
I found this:

"A broad range of psychiatric reactions have been associated with Lyme disease including paranoia, dementia, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, panic attacks, major depression, anorexia nervosa, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.''

Lyme disease: a neuropsychiatric illness.
Fallon BA, Nields JA.
American Journal of Psychiatry, 151(11):1571-83. 1994.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement