LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » tingling hands

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tingling hands
ladylyme
Member # 9115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my hands have started to tingle. It seems like since I started taking doxy. It is really noticeable when I wash my hands. They tingle and sting a bit. It is a stange feeling I have never had. I am wondering if it is from the med. or a new symptom or what.... Anyone else ever had this? I mean I have had the numbness and burning in other parts of my body but this is not that it is differen't. Maybe I am just wierd I know most of the time until I found this web site I felt like a freak of nature! [dizzy]

Thanks everyone!

Posts: 24 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hope Is Good
Member # 8003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hope Is Good     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I had tingling in my hands and fingers for 6 months before treatment. It is mostly gone now, 8 wks of IV Rocephin knocked down 80% of my symptoms. Good luck getting well!!
Posts: 44 | From Northeastern Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had practially total body burning since pre-treatment and still during treatment, along with a little tingling. But when I started IM Bicillin, the tingling and achiness started up in my hands, arms, shoulders - very carpal tunnel-like symptoms - plus numbness at night, again carpal tunnel symptoms - which Lyme can produce. So I had to back way off of my computer for several days and it helped. But I'm thinking it's a herx for me - although I've never had this as a herx - but it started with a new antibiotic. I'm going to be seeing my Lyme doctor next week and will be discussing this with him. Another Lyme pal of mine also got tingling in her arms from Bicillin. So even though you're on Doxy, it's worth asking your doctor if you're herxing. I was on Doxy for months (it was my first antibiotic) and I never got tingling from it, but of course we are each different in terms of our symptoms, herx reactions, medication reactions, etc.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tingling in my left foot and toes now. It used to be in my toes up through my mid calf right and left.

So you are not alone [group hug]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first got sick, I had tingling in both arms, sometimes clear up to the elbows. That was in 2001. These days, off of antibiotics, a get occasional tingling in my hands and/or feet, but it stays there.

Auto-immune? Permanent damage? Active Lyme? I dunno, but since I am in good health overall, I am not going to pursue treating it.

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get tingling in my hands and feet, sometimes radiating up the back of my legs and my tongue tingles as well. I didn't start to have tingling until last November and I've had the disease(unknowingly)for at least five years, so it's a relatively new symptom for me.
Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

From the 1st day I went on doxy, I had that

tingly feeling. One of my fingers actually went

numb for about 6 months on the tip also. But I can

remember that when I would wash my hands they felt

really strange. I wish I could remember but my

memory is so bad. I think that it was weird about

temperature or something like even if the water

was warm my hands would get a feeling like they

were cold inside and swelling.

Also when my oldest was in 3rd grade he couldn't

dress himself. Every morning when he woke up his

hands, fingers, and wrists would be too numb. I

took him to several Neurologists. I was so scared.

The ones in TX said there was absolutely nothing

wrong. Chicago dx'd him with carpal tunnel from

riding dirt bikes and playing video games. A few

years later same thing happened to his brother.

Of course now we know it was the lyme all along.

lyme x 9

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imanurse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imanurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 01. June 2006, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: imanurse ]

--------------------
**Eat Chocolate**

Posts: 942 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had tingling/numbness for quite awhile in my hands/wrist and right arm is especially bad.

When I saw my new holistic LLMD last Thursday, she asked me & checked this out. She discovered NEUROPATHY galore in my fingers and toes.
She took a sharpie and went all the way down my arms, hands, and feet to toes; a lot of difference in feeling & NOT feeling pain.

Last year saw a neuologist; he did the special testings, and NO neuropathy anywhere!

I have diabetes 2 and now on a rx med; was on 2 yrs. diet/exercise.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowflake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowflake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BettyG,

Diabetes causes neuropathy too, but I am sure you are aware of that. Sounds like you have a double whammy.

--------------------
We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late.

Posts: 221 | From the hills | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillybean
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillybean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After almost 3 months on IV Rocephin and 1500 mg daily of Flagyl, when I put my fingers under cold water, I had this "icy-hot" feeling. Kindof wierd.
Two weeks later the soles of my feet started to get the same feelimg, then feel like they were burning.

For the last 2 weeks I have been in terrible pain in my feet, and LLMD pulled PICC and took me of Flagyl.

He says I have peripheral neuropathy and sending me to a neuro. The Flagyl will cause this side affect. I looked it up (under HIS direction) at
www. LEF.org. I am scared that this might be permanent, as I have been off meds for almost 2 weeks.

Good Luck,
Jillybean

Posts: 203 | From Jacksonville, FLorida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsm
Member # 8951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have neuropathy in my extremities as a result of Doxy. My LLMD said it's a typical reaction to doxy, and gave me B12 (sublingual) and B6 to help the problem. They've helped somewhat. I hear that B1 can be very helpful too. I'd ask your LLMD.

My sensitivity increases when I have had ANY kind of sun exposure, and especially if I've been burned at all. Just another reason to stay out of the sun on Doxy.

I think what you're experiencing is pretty normal. A friend who is a diabetic and a PhD/MD in infectious diseases says that eventually your body should acclamate to the neuropathy. Hopefully it should get milder as time goes on...Good luck!

Posts: 20 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LostCityAgent
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lady Lyme,
What you have is called parethesias most likely. Do you have plaques/lesions in the cervical spine?

Jmcc.

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tingling hands on Doxycycline can be a side effect of the drug. Before you start freaking out, and thinking its some sort of bizarre herx...remember that Doxycycline is extremely skin sensitizing. Even 5 minutes of basic sun exposure, driving in your car, or sitting in a sunny window can cause the tingling and burning sensations. When I was on Doxycycline last year for a tick bite, I had the tingling, numbness and pain while doing anything like washing dishes, or the slightest sun exposure. Mine was really noticeable when i washed my hands too. Remember even with SPF 50 and clothes on, you can burn right though, and hands are most common. Stay totally OUT of the sun.
I hope this eases your mind some!!

ladylyme
Member # 9115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all you input on this I really think it is the doxy. I have had the neuro~burning, this is not like that.
Posts: 24 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The photon stimulator has helped with my neuropathy. You can google it for more info. The manufacturer is Bales Scientific.

Shazdancer, do you have a specific maintenance program in place to stay well? Congratulations on achieving overall good health!!!

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also been struggling with this. I took Doxy for many months, am now on Biaxin and Plaquenil. It comes and goes for me, but last week I had 3 or 4 days of tingling, numbness, coldness, and loss of feeling from the elbows down. It does get worse at night, and makes it difficult to sleep because I try and position my arms so that they won't feel so numb. I was holding something in the crook of my arm the other day and the entire arm, elbow down, went totally numb for about 30 minutes. I also get this in my feet sometimes, primarily in my feet it is a loss of feeling. IT is very freaky, and I hate this symptom. I hate not having feeling or a reduction thereof in my hands and feet. But otherwise I am so much better, I hate to complain, and it comes and goes!

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinKay
Member # 9153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ladylyme:
my hands have started to tingle. It seems like since I started taking doxy. It is really noticeable when I wash my hands. They tingle and sting a bit. It is a stange feeling I have never had. I am wondering if it is from the med. or a new symptom or what.... Anyone else ever had this? I mean I have had the numbness and burning in other parts of my body but this is not that it is differen't. Maybe I am just wierd I know most of the time until I found this web site I felt like a freak of nature! [dizzy]

Thanks everyone!

Posts: 1 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lesley1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lesley1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 15 y.o. daughter started having tingling and numbness in her finger and hand. She was on a 14-day course of 250 mg bid of Flagyl at the time (along with her regular regimen of Ketek, Omnicef, Malarone, and Plaquenil). I stopped the Flagyl 3 days early and things improved a bit, but it is still bothering her.

Anyone get tingling from either Malarone, which she just started a few days before the tingling started (she had switched over from Mepron) or Ketek, which she's been on for about four months?

Lesley

Posts: 164 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

FYI, Flagyl can cause the tingling and numbness too but this is a bad side effect of the drug, not a herx. When you experience these things always tell your doctor. Read labels, look up the drugs. I think every Lyme patient should own a medical dictionary, and a drug reference guide. Look up the diseases, learn the lingo, and the drugs, the side effects. It can save your life and get you further in your treatment with more understanding. [Smile]
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wildcondor, great point.
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

It's important to remember to look at the most likely cause of symptoms first...medications, diet, and such before jumping to conclusions that the situation is severe and a massive herx or some bizarre new phenomenon. Many times these things are medication side effects. Like I said earlier, buy some medical reference books and drug dictionaries, arm yourself with information, call the pharmacy, ask questions!
Okay tinglers?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement