LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Fess up people-what are you eating??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fess up people-what are you eating??
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been obsessive about listening to everyone on this board say NO SUGAR or CARBS....I am terrified to have a piece of cake or forkfull of spagettii.

This has caused a 15 pound weight loss in four months and I am shrinking by the minute...

But I hear that many on this site have gained weight with lyme (treatment?).

All I can guess is that some are cheating..If so, can I? I just want a piece of cake once and a while or an ice cream with my family...

Please tell me the truth so I don't fade away...I have so few pleasures anymore [Frown]

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO have cake my friend...Just not the whole thing.

The low carbs is geared toward limiting a food supply for yeast, an opportunistic little bug that loves to grow wild when we take antibiotics.

I use Shaklee Optiflora for my probiotics, eat yogurt, and make sure my carbs and protein are balanced.

I seem to be doing OK yeast wise.

When I have an issue with yeast, I take diflucan and it goes away.

I appreciate that others feel very strongly about no carbs. However, I know myself. That is not an option in my world.

I also have celiac disease, which means no wheat, barley or rye of any form. It's the gluten in them that causes an autoimmune disorder.

I manage to find gluten free bread and cakes when I need them, like my wedding or a family birthday (for cakes)...Whole Foods had great gluten free breads...a reall accomplishment.

In any case, listen to your body. Make your own decisions...That's my advice..

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humanbeing....You will not regret eating no sugar/no carbs. To do otherwise would be endangering your health and impeding your progress with your treatment.

I don't think people truly know the damage that can be done by the yeast. At the very least, it increases symptoms which appear to be the same as Lyme symptoms, so who would want more of THAT!!??

If you cheat, keep in mind that it may increase your sugar cravings [does mine!]. If you cheat, I would suggest eating a small dessert with other food, not by itself.

Keep on top of the probiotics and take something natural to kill the yeast if you are not on Diflucan and/or Nystatin.

[and DON'T depend on these to enable you to eat whatever you want! doesn't work!]

I am speaking from experience here, as I still have yeast problems even though I've been off abx quite awhile!

I had yeast before I even began treatment for Lyme. I guess my immune system is shot. My naturopath said I'm probably missing some necessary enzymes to keep the yeast at bay.

So I can't afford to cheat [much!] Right now, I'm on a strict diet again.

Losing weight?? Eat nuts!! Just be sure to avoid peanuts.

Eat healthy fats like coconut oil.

Candida diet and elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

http://www.wholeapproach.com/diet/

Lyme symptoms list compared with yeast symptoms
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021202.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think when people say they're gaining weight, it has a lot to do with the lyme attacking the thyroid gland which then throws off the metabolism. That's what happened to me.

I'm not exercising right now(too fatigued), and doing the low carb thing(not NO carb)and seem to be maintaining my weight--not losing.

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat carbs raw lettus,mustard greens,spinach in salads, I eat no potatoes unless raw,unless I cheat then I take extra acidophilis, I eat a lot of steamed greenbeans,asparagas,raw fruit strawberrie watermelon etc.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey humanbeing

I have the same problem.

I have reached my panic weight of 95-94 lbs and can't afford to lose another lb. I look like a walking skeleton.

am sticking to the no sugar low carbs but it has become very hard to balance my weight issues.
If I don't I have my yeast problems back real fast.

How do you keep your weight up eating meats & veggies salads and nuts? It's been a fine line to say the least. Not whinning but concerned.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what are your symptoms after you eat sugar?

I get stabbing burning pains fatigue and brain fog/depression.

So I know now if I cheat that the potential is there.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't agree with NO carbs.

I did it for a long time and felt awful and it didn't fix the yeast problem. It was picked up in my blood even after five months of strict ATKINS and allot of Diflucan.

I agree with no bad carbs (white sugar, white flour, ect),
but NOT no grains..grains are needed...

Candida is a type of fungi which will only flourish if you provide it a house to live in and the food to live on, and this means the body must be of an acidic condition, because when the body is kept in a condition of health whereas the body pH is more to the alkaline side with the neccessary alkaline minerals and foods (abx will cause an alkaline reading in some, but that is not a true alkaline state as it with the right diet),
once this is right, you then are no longer providing an environment for which the Candida enjoys, and it will fade away!

I don't believe it is just sugar that feeds the Candida, it's a deeper problem in the intestines, other organs, blood, and the whole terrain of the system.

Cleansing, probiotics, good grains and beans..
good carb veggies and fruits, good protein (rule is 80% alkalizing foods, 20% acidifying) and balance PH.(which will vary person to person as to how)
The right combinations matter allot (eat fruit alone, or some kinds can go with dairy - rice with veggies, eat meat protein only with veggies)

The idea being that you eat foods that digest at the same rate so they pass through as they should, not one that digests faster than the other..
other wise you get the morbid matter in the digestive tract that the bad guys FEED on.
Years of it.

It's a whole system, not just to stay away from certain kinds of food altogether.

Ayurvedic food combining, body type food can get you started, plus there is allot of info on correcting acidosis with diet out there.

I found out I NEED grains badly, and was starving myself of them for many, many months trying to 'starve out' the yeast.

Thereafter (once balanced) you should be able to have your cake and (occasionally) eat it too!

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lalyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lalyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so the basic gist is this. We are as Lyme people trying to keep our bodies in balance. Sugar, yeast, acidic food does just the opposite. I have quit caffeine, sugar, bread(i eat yeast free bread called spelt),alcohol and low salt no spicy foods. I have lost a couple of pounds, but I try to eat a big Breakfast, Goat's milk yogurt, no sugar or flour ceral and spelt with organic Peanut butter. For lunch, tofu or chicken witout the skin, a piece of spelt, veggies and red beans with avacado. I have two snacks a day of almonds, like two good handfuls and veggies with salad and fish for dinner. I have fruit after meals only. Keeps the sugar flucts down and tea with Soy milk and Stevia. I do not miss ANYthing except chocolate, but who doesn't and my weight is about 113 and I am 5'6. Really, after you detox from sugar and all....you don't even want to go back. Eat alot of good proteins and spelt or Kamut bread is great. It does have some flour ,but no yeast or gluten.

Good Luck

Posts: 298 | From los angeles | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all great advice we have to offer here, but I wonder sometimes if we go overboard?

I am not sure that EVERY single soul will be affected the same way re: foods!

I am also thinking that it is ok to treat yourself at times....

Yes, less sugar/carbs/fat is great! I think it is ok to have a treat, I have. Yes, I am concerned about yeast as well, taking pro-biotics, cutting caffiene, carbs, sugars out of diet.......

But is it possible we are taking things too far at times?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all,
Great info. I guess as I feel better and the lyme goes away, I will allow myself little sweets once and awhile.

Lyme has been an amazing teacher of nutrition and wellness -- a life lesson that I can pass onto my kids.

I havn't really tested my sensitivity to sugar or flour...but I will when less fragile because I do miss a piece of cake or cup of rocky road ice cream....I really really do.

(don't miss the potatoes or white flour stuff)
Rob,
I think people here are on the conservative end of lyme treatment, we are all more proactive in our healthcare decisions and take responsibility for being two steps ahead of the doctors.

Most people with lyme who are not on this board, trust their docs advice which may or may not be a wholistic healing approach to this disease.

Even the best llmd's don't regularly get involved in dietary recommendations, supplements or any other aspects of our health except prescription antibiotics or other drugs.

We are lucky to get a whole body perspective here!
Thanks!

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im a more complex case as I believe i have IC, which is bleeding bladder caused by lyme, SO i cannot eat many foods as it is.

i found eggs were killing my bladder as do most nuts...so ive been eating puffed brown rice and millet with a drizzle of almond milk for breakfast. i have no other choice. its about 14g of carb total.

spelt is high oxalate so it would affect my bladder as well, so that is not an option.

I eat chicken or turkey for lunch and dinner and eat about 3 whole bags of brocolli a day.

I also eat artichokes..sauted in olive oil with garlic.

I weigh 95lbs on a good day, i am a walking skeleton. i had trouble pre lyme gaining and now its even more difficult.

Sugar makes me jittery...and sometimes dizzy...but for me i think its because my body isnt used to the sugar.

i tried a weight gain shake but i think it had too much sugar. the weight loss is frustrating.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat what I want, but not a lot of it.

But my undiagnosed lyme affected my thyroid years ago.......surgery needed and even though I take meds for it, I've gained weight being hypothyroid for years.

Also, I cannot exercise when I'm feeling ill, which is every day.

When I started IV Rocephin (before it was yanked by the darned insurance company), I lost pounds and was walking every day, even if it was for only 15-20 minutes. And my mood was brighter.

Once the IV was pulled, I couldn't even walk again. I tried dieting for weight loss and even though I cut calories to 1200 a day and exercised for a few hours a week, no weight loss. Very frustrating.

Now I am gaining again......sucks but I don't know what to do about it. Dh knows I eat like a bird and drink lots of water. But with no exercise, it will never work.

I just want to get back to where moving was an option......I'd take it!!

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

TTPH,
Have you tried a stationary bike?..I can't do much walking but find that the bike helps me get the blood flowing and joints moving.

My heart rate only gets to about 110 so not a real big workout...

Wish we could get you the Rocephin you need (I hate healthcare!!!If you had a cancer relapse they would treat you for goddsakes!)
hang in there
[group hug]

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. My two cents worth.

This week we moved. Ugh!! Everynight was eating out. I have systemic yeast which can be deadly. A very strict nearly vegan diet (I found I can eat lean meats) has made a world of difference for me and I am under a doctor's care to try to kill all the systemic yeast. It is NO JOKE!

Well, the eating out got me. I tried to be good but you can't control how they cook the food and Friday night all restaurants had a wait list so we ended up at Hardys where I foolishly got a hamburger. I was so sick on my stomach at bedtime it took 4 tbsp Mylanta to settle my stomach enough to sleep. I really tried to be good the rest of the weekend, but our new neighbors brought over warm lemon pound cake, fresh sliced strawberries and cool whip which I just couldn't resist.

By night time, my hands were curled and so painful and when I awoke this morning all my joints were painful and cracking. I have been in severe pain at work all day and it is from the diet, I promise you. I have been moving all week and felt fine until I began eating yeast food.

If you are not sick with systemic yeast, you do not have to be as rigid as I do, but if you are on abx, you will eventually have an overloaded yeast situation which will then damage the lining of your intestines. Then yeast, bacteria, parasites and partially digested food will escape into your bloodstream and your body causing you to be sick beyond your imagination.

Don't go there! Eat sensibly and take plenty probiotics.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS. I lost 18lbs so far and don't want to lose more so I now indulge in foods that used to be off my diet list such as nuts. Cashews and Almonds, hhmmmm. I don't worry about calories at all.

It is amazing how bloated refined carbs like breads and sweets made me. I eat all I want now of the type foods I can eat which is basically whole foods - foods that grew that way. I don't worry about the white food theory, but I also don't make potatos and rice a large part of my diet. I eat all the berries I want and love to make smoothies with soft tofu, strawberries, bananas and blueberries. It taste like Dannon yogurt and has the consistency of a milkshake.

I buy frozen wheat and dairy free waffles and use them like bread. I love almond butter and banana slices on them.

Of course the majority of my food is veggies and mostly cooked. I do eat raw salads alot when eating out but take my own dressing.

When I consistently eat this way, I barely have any pain and get to enjoy the things I love to do which are all very physical.

My family keeps saying "we should all eat this way", but so far they don't. It is terrible to know we have to get this sick to take care of ourselves.

--------------------

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluetick
Member # 8467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bluetick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me to take my antibiotics with hershey kisses when I last spoke with him to help get them down and reduce aftertaste. I cracked up laughing when I thought about the no carb/no sugar mantra.

[lick]

Posts: 98 | From MA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good fats are needed by your body and can make up the calorie deficit of the low carb diet. My choices are olive oil and butter.
Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gambler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not endorsing this, and I know none will approve:

I eat tons of carbs. I cannot function if I don't, and I can't take Doxy without them, my nausea would overcome me. The first month I didn't cheat once, was ketonic and gained weight, and miserable in a not Lyme way.

If I thought it was helping me I would do it, I just don't think it was. I am still trying out my theory: sugar causes inflammation, antibiotics penetrate inflammed tissue better. Not much of a controlled study though.

At least I drink less Coke.

Posts: 243 | From chicago | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
luvs2ride i alway enjoy your posts...you make me want to stick to this diet...and i will.

last nite i was watching TV and subway has new ads running. They have some yummy looking hot sandwiches.

my mom was watching with me and i say , gosh i wish i could eat normal food again, and my mom says that food is all very bad for you, its not normal.

it was if a lightbulb went off inside of me...i am not eating what i should have been eating years ago.

that tofu shake sounds yummy :-)

--------------------

-Schopenhauer

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life without carbohydrates is not possible.

There is a difference between Complex Carbohydrates and Simple Carbohydrates.

We made it all the way through Lyme Disease with lots of fruits and vegetables, grains, legumes, good fats, meats, sugars. I bake my own goodies and keep control on what goes in it.

Heavy metals also create fungi - it's the body's protective mechanism to wrap up the metals to protect itself. But in all its wisdom, fungi also have a life cycle, poop and pee, and thus an added load for us of neurotoxins.

Not all is carbohydrate caused!

Both my husband and I made it well through Lyme Disease with lots of fruits, vegetables, meats, etc. I need my piece of chocolate and I love my coffee!

Don't deny yourself the real pleasures of good food. Our food and our mind are so important.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, life without carbohydrates is not possible.

When people are low carbing they're not NO-carbing.

I think people forget that veggies, salads, nuts etc. all have carbohydrates.

Unfortunately for some unlucky people(like me)who are sugar/starch sensitive, eating healthy foods such as brown rice are enough to cause weight gain.

I get plenty of the "good" carbs though, from salads and veggies.

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I avoid carbs as much as possible. Sugar is out.

If I cheat alot I do get pain in my "overies". It's strange. I also get bloated almost every time I eat carbs.

I still eat whole grains.

Lately I've been fairly dilagent w/ the diet and have lost 7 lbs. Thank goodness cuz I'm fat!

I'll send all you skinny minis my extra weight. I could lose 35 pounds and then I might start to look good.

Also since I'm not super strict I pay attention to how I feel after eating and take all kinds of anti yeast products.

Wild oil of oregano under the tongue. Acidophilus pills. Physillium. When not on doryx I take grapefruit seed extract pills.

And of course....... when I feel really yeasty diflucan.

My big cheat is a dark chocolate bar which I try to make last a whole week. I probably do that once a month.

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gastroparesis which means that my stomach digests slow and has a hard time digesting in general.

When it is really acting up, anything hard to digest raw veggies fruits nuts ect are off the menu. (lately though the only thing I can't eat is nuts)

Of course I am concerned about preventing yeast. Yes I take probotics and I do alter my diet a little. I am 5'5 and 115 lbs... sometimes size 2 pants are too big for me.

I do not want to loose any more weight and if I follow a very strict diet I will drop a massive amount of wieght... quickly.

I don't exercise or anything because I am just to sick and struggle just to do the things I need to do to function in everyday living,

I don't eat a ton of food. Usually 2 meals and maybe 1 snack. I don't really ever get hungary and if I eat too often it makes me nauseos so...

I try to cut out junk food (including soda and the juices that aren't 100% juice).

I eat potatoes and pasta and all that kind of stuff.

I am not saying I never cheat and eat junk... I did Easter... Had myself some chocolate [Big Grin]

My theory is I know my body. I know what kind of foods I need to function (I need meat or my fatigue gets much worse I also get wosr if I cut my carbs to low)...

(I have tried the strict diet thing. I felt sicker and lost weight... I would only do it again if I had a yeast problem.. but that is just my experience)

when it comes to regulating our diets to prevent or adress yeast... I do not think it should be a one size fits all situation.

Sorry this is so long I ramble quite often... as I am sure you have noticed by now [dizzy]

Best wishes [Smile]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gael1111
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gael1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, my $2.98. I have had lyme yeast, co-infections for over 28 yrs. I can tell you from my experience, it is not about starving the yeast out, almost impossible, even with diflucan. You need to take enzymes and drink at least a quart of kefir a day. Your body needs all the healthy food it can get to fight the infections, including a good piece of steak, salad, potatoe, vegetables. Just eat more greens than meat. 80/20 like MO said. Kefir with fruit is good for you, for example. Eizekel yeast free bagels with butter. GiGi has mentioned the importance of KEFIR and ENZYMES many times. Colonics are imperative to get rid of die-off. This bird food everyone is on can not possibly give the nutrition you need. Yes, I have been there and back again. I was starving my body. not to mention that
Posts: 121 | From philadelphia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gael1111
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gael1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SORRY, DIDN'T FINISH POST. ACCIDENTALLY HIT KEY AND IT POSTED. WELL MAYBE I WAS SUPPOSSED TO STOP THERE.

I THINK I WAS TRYING TO SAY YOU NEED TO FEED YOUR SOUL AS WELL.

GAEL

Posts: 121 | From philadelphia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do I eat?

Mostly home cooked food. I eat out maybe once a week.

I eat almost anything, but my parnter is veggie so I cook mostly veg food.

I have learned that refined carbs make me bloated.

I dont eat any white sugar.

I do eat honey.

I do drink coffee. And I am so happy about it.

I also drink organic red wine sometimes with dinner if my meds and body allow it.

Now if I eat out and they use sugar in a recipe I can taste it RIGHT away and I dont like at all. Your body adjusts.

Dont give in to the sweet cravings that is ONE craving I dont give in to. It is NOT a real craving it is actually the yeasties telling your body it needs more sugar---watch out.

other cravings I do indulge: salt, meat, pho soup, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my food super hot and spicy! xxhot green chiles rock!  -

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

As far as I know, I have never had a yeast problem. I wouldn't even know what to look for.

I eat whatever I can buy that tastes good. Lots of sugar and cakes and rolls, etc..

I have stopped all sodas though, except maybe one can of 7Up+ once a month.

Coke and Pepsi, of course are the worst. But anything with Asparteme and/or Phospheros in it si bad , bad, bad.

I am a junk food junkie, and probably would heal faster without the bad food. BUT I do not take any abx anymore, so that helps a lot. Herbs are much better, none of those side effects you all are suffering from.

Jim. [Cool]

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...my daughter eats very sensibly and has still gained 80 pounds. Her thyroid tests normal.
The doctor says everyone he treats with Bartonella gains weight.

She started to exercise every day, but we got a new puppy and our house has turned upside down. Need to get back into that routine.

Two nighs ago she did eat an eggroll from our favorite Chinese food restaurant....it had a roach inside. How she could see it in the shadows of her place on the couch, is a miracle. And we were grateful it was still intact. A bottle of listerine later.....

There....there goes the appetite.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aah, the million dollar question, whattya eat?

Breakfast, nada. Yuck. Coffee. (I know, shame on me.) On weekends I can eat a bowl of good cereal around 9:30 or so.

Lunch: Salad with chicken, thai food, turkey sandwich, whatever I can talk someone into bringing me back to my office.

Dinner: almost always seafood of some type, grilled or broiled, fresh vegetables sauteed or grilled or steamed. 'Bout a half glass o'Chardonnay, assuming Flagyl is nowhere around.

Never been a big sweets person but I don't run from a carb either. I love cream and sugar in my coffee and would never make it to work without coffee (would fall asleep on my 26-mile drive!). I don't drink sodas. My idea of eating out is sushi, Thai or Indian food.

One Theralac a day seems to pardon whatever sins I'm guilty of. I'm getting ready to start making Kefir from my own grains soon and very jazzed about it!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on a lower-carb diet, limiting intake of simple carbs. That's mostly to limit weight gain because I'm too sick to burn up the calories via exercise. I still have some sweets (a piece of candy, etc.) about once a week.

I avoid high vitamin D foods like fish and egg yolks, plus fortified milk or cereals. This is part of a plan to help starve the infection by limiting its fuel (vitamin D).

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvs2ride:
If you are not sick with systemic yeast, you do not have to be as rigid as I do, but if you are on abx, you will eventually have an overloaded yeast situation which will then damage the lining of your intestines. Then yeast, bacteria, parasites and partially digested food will escape into your bloodstream and your body causing you to be sick beyond your imagination.

Don't go there! Eat sensibly and take plenty probiotics. [/QB]

Amen, sister!

How in the world do you get away with waffles and berries???

I do eat carbs....healthy ones.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast has a funny way of sneaking up on you...

I know from experience....

It can be a major factor in not getting over Lyme disease also..

You are doing yourself a huge service by eating a no sugar...and that might mean no fruits, or even natural added sugars for a while....

Make sure to eat often and frequently....add good fats like olive oil, avacado, nut butters ( if tolerated) etc.....

I slacked for a while and payed the price...

people who eat a normal diet on abx and think they are doing alright in My opinion are are really not...

If you are craving sweets, carbs, etc..then your body is not in balance ....

I know its hard but there really are many foods out there you can have...and once you get over that sugar hump and the carb hump you really dont even want it anymore...

Take Care and do the best you can.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Christine says

quote:

If you are craving sweets, carbs, etc..then your body is not in balance ....

I know its hard but there really are many foods out there you can have...and once you get over that sugar hump and the carb hump you really dont even want it anymore...
quote:

This is so true! I had a sugar withdrawal headache the first 2 days, but now I don't miss it at all. I miss cheese and I didn't know I was such a cheese hound.

I can't cheat at all without having a couple days of incredible joint pain and I believe I will be this way until all the yeast is gone from my blood. I am on IV medication in an effort to kill the systemic yeast.

Lymetoo
The waffles are wheat, dairy and sugar free. (taste free too [Wink] but pretty good with "stuff" on them) I have a theory about the fruit which I'm not sure I am right about, but so far I seem to be able to eat it without repercussion. I believe God made food that is good for us to eat. I believe the food has all the nutrients in it we need and is balanced to prevent it from causing us harm. So if it is whole food such as fruit and potatos, I am not afraid to eat it, but I do hold it to a minimum.

This may be piracy, I hope not. This is from a Rheumatoid Arthritis website. Controlling diet has helped me so much with my joint pain.

I want to share this post from www.roadback.org which is an autoimmune disorder website that believes in a bacterial cause to their diseases.
Diet has been a huge benefit to many on this website.

quote:

Thank you for posting your wonderful alert regarding Aspartane "poison". You are 100% correct, and I would humbly add to also be mindful that most soda pop is poison especially for those of us who have compromised immune systems. That being said we must be also mindful of the aluminum cans that contain the soda pop. Aluminum is very very harmful to our bodies, and the aluminum container leeches into the soda pop and into our systems via drinking it in. We would be agast if a dentist used Aluminum in our dental fillings, so why do people not understand how bad it is to drink from containers that are Aluminum? Why do they not see the connection to their illnesses?... Everyday Americans are drinking from Aluminum cans, and using deoderant that contains Aluminum and when we put the deoderant on under our arms it has a direct rounte into the Lymph glands. My advice is to stop drinking soda pop period, and change your deoderant to a natural brand like Tom's Natural Long Lasting Deodorant which comes in different scents. I also noticed when I gave up all meats including fish, Dairy products of any kind, Sugar ( I substituted Stevia in place of sugar), and ate an organic(whenever possible) plant-based diet of fruit, plants (vegetables of every kind), and yams, potatoes, rice, and etc., my health improved 100 %. If I want something like soda pop I will drink soda water and flavor it with lemon or lime or some natural fruit flavoring. In other words, I eat to live, not live to eat any longer. I started seeing improvement within in 2 weeks, and total improvement in approx. 6-8 months. My approach is "wholistic" meaning Spirit, Mind, and Body. Changed my lifestyle, reconnected to the One who made me (the Creator), then proceeded to search(in prayer) for answers which led to the renewing of my mind to a simple plant-starch based Diet & then as I improved...moderate(low aerobic) exercise everyday. Here is a helpful hint for eating: I fix my baking potatoes in a crock pot overnite for the whole family. They are ready in the morning (without aluminum) and are delicious with Braggs's Liquid Aminos, or Salsa, or whatever you like that is not animal based. I have many many simple and quick & easy (in 15 minutes or less)recipes that are healthy for the whole family, or just one person that I would share with anyone if they e-mail me. I have fully recovered from my Rheumatoid Arthritis and am very grateful for the knowledge thru diet, exercise, and also to Dr. McPherson Brown for first opening my eyes. Thank you again for pointing out and posting the connection to Aspartane. Best wishes to your husband, and you are certainly a wonderful, devoted and loyal wife which is worth more than gold. Please see the link below for what helped me.
quote:

--------------------

pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i plead my 5th amendment rights when it comes to having bitten off the ear of that chocolate easter bunny! [Big Grin] [lol]
Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to make clear in my ;pst that eating complex good carbs in moderation is impotant such as Millet, Quinoa, buckwheat, spelt ( if tolerated).

Its like detoxing from anything, you feel like crap for a few days and all you think and dream about is that food you cant have...then all of a sudden you forget about it and the sight of it does nothing to you anymore....

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountainmoma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am mostly vegan, after getting extreme systemic yeast overgrowth last year when on IV ABX, Ive added more eggs (very fresh,home grown)sometimes.

So, knowing whats its like when it gets bad, I do NOT ever eat sugar, honey, etc...

I dont eat any white flour (I have rarely cheat on this, when Im out, so I dont starve)

Fruit depends. I usually dont, but I will eat any home grown berries in the summer. Sometimes frozen blueberries in homemade sugar free muffins.

I do eat complex carbs. Corn tortills, brown rice, lots of quinoa, millet, buckwheat porridge.

I eat beans. I eat nuts. I eat tofu, unsweetened soy milk.

My wheat cheating was increasing recently and candida symptoms also, so I am taking advatage of my ABX vacation (my liver enzymes are too high, and I am off all ABX again) to do a candida cleanse, and have cleaned up my diet again. No wheat, and mostly quinoa for my grain.

When I wanted to relax my diet, for a while I did eat oatmeal and whole wheat products, and grapefruit.

I make homemade pancakes and baked goods. I use natural sugar substitutes, like xylitol and stevia. I eat maltitol sweetened chocolate bars, maybe more than I should.

I eat vegetables, of course, including potatoes. Generally red potatoes with skins, which I will mash or bake or homefry into eagg omelets.

Posts: 222 | From Santa Cruz Mountains, CA USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For One year I was super strict on the anti yeast diet, no cheating.

I did not eat ANY fruit, sugars, grains (incl flour)except a small amount of rice once a week and an occasional glass of wine.

Everything I ate was Organic, meats grass fed, fish, low mercury & most cheese organic grass fed.

I ate lots of vegetables (no sweet ones) making sure some were raw & some cooked everyday. I ate small amounts of meat or fish several times a day. I ate an egg almost everyday and when out of the house nuts were my survival food. I ate a lot of nuts. The only dairy I ate was cheese in limited amounts.

Most meals consisted of one of these:
1.a large salad with plenty of greens, a little cheese, meat or sardines, a sprinkling of nuts or pumpkin seeds and just enough oil & vinegar.

2. Lots of sauteed vegetables (just enough coconut oil, olive oil or butter) with a little meat.

Homemade chicken soup with lots of greens.

I gained 15 pounds on this diet, most while taking tetracycline. My LLMD says for many people tetra changes the metabolism and very efficiently burns very little and stores a lot. He says dieting won't help much while on tetra.

During the time I was gaining weight I had started exercising again including walking at least 1/2 hour a day, some yoga & pilates, 18 full days of skiing,(amazing since I couldn't even lift my skiis the previous winter), snowshoeing, ski machine! I probably would have gained far more if I was back on the sofa unable to move like the year before.

I also quit caffeine. I felt really good on this diet (as good as one can feel with Lyme) and my allergies, chemical sensitivities and headaches disappeared. My digestion and elimination are very regular, the best they've ever been.

Now my yeast is under control so I've added a little more grains. This week I had some rice and beans & put quinoa in my chicken soup. When dining out I can have a small piece of bread and a taste of dessert. If I don't keep up my high green vegetable intake including raw salads I start to feel bad fast.

hatsnscarfs

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gambler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted earlier that I eat tons of carbs. Which I do, but I don't crave them. At all. It is not about lack of self control.

In fact, I crave protein. All I want are eggs. And if I don't force myself to eat bread with my salad, I will be sick.

When I get that systemic yeast infection, I will be sure to post.

Posts: 243 | From chicago | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 4 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shared a small bag of sour cream and onion chips w/ my husband today. BAD. BAD. BAD.

My newest thing is multigrain cereal w/ milk every morning. I think good............

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

heather i think the multigrain cereal balances the chips :-)

I had a chocolate chip cookie and a vegan blueberry muffin yesterday from wholefoods. I actually felt a lot better after eating it...more energy etc. Oh and i had potatoe and leek soup. i felt that they were mostly made with organic ingredients so it wasnt all processed.

im back on low carb today but my body needs carbs to function.

--------------------

-Schopenhauer

robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just ate sauteed no abx(wonder why I pay extra for this)-no hormone chicken, onions, green chile, yellow and green squash,a few red peppers, diced tomatoe cooked in a little olive oil and organic butter. Seasoned with garlic, real salt and cilantro. Really, really good dinner.

Now, don' tell anyone about that 1/2 gallon of ice cream I ate while visiting my mom last week.

robi

[ 11. May 2006, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: robi ]

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm Lobster dipped in butter and lemon. Coleslaw and sliced tomatos.

--------------------
HEATHER

-

mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay guys

I cheat
still eat chocolate, pasta and candy once in a while.
the difference is very little
I eat a lot of nuts, salmon, and oils ( cocanut, olive) i do my best to stay away from yeast. Sometimes I don't resist the craving and eat some bread ( spelt )

Losing weight has been a daily event - good but bad. I was looking like a skeleton. My appetite has improved

and a question - what is wrong with eating peanuts?

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

I eat a low carb diet--
I used to have candida about as
bad as it gets-
You dont want to go there-

For 3 years all I could eat
was broccili califlower and chicken-
every day--(some how I still like it)

Everything else fed the yeast--

Threw time I was able to add back
some diffrent foods slowly

It took time--

I had to make a change in my life
in the things I could eat--

Even after 15 yrs there is still
some things I can not eat --

But its worth it to me not to
put myself threw the pain they cause--

But as time has passed many of the
things that used to really bother me
dont if I eat them in moderation--

You have to Test what you can eat--
Keep track of what you eat and
add new foods slowly--

Eat a Little of something new--
see if it bothers you-
if it dosent eat some more--

What you can eat will change threw time--

A Very good book to read is titled-
Candida Connection or maybe it was
Yeast Connection-its been 15 yrs ago

I found everything in the book to be
accurate and true--

Its packed with sugestions-resipes
of foods to eat --

Im sure you can find the book
on amazion used--$5

If you do what the book says
you will get well from yeast-

To gain weight eat nuts-seeds
avacodos- fatty chicken -
maybe pork--
Non moldy cheese-
unsweetend chocelet ect--
Many can eat Real Maple syrip

I eat lots of salids--
Has helped me a bunch--

You have to eat good
to be good--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lalyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lalyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mag,

Jumping into discussion, peanuts have arginine and that causes Herpes outbreaks,if you alreday have Herpes.

Posts: 298 | From los angeles | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always eaten whatever i felt like, even during treatment....however my tastes don't run to starches and sugar, so I'm probably following a modified atkins or south beach diet just out of preference.

for example; pasta and bread at the same meal is real non appetizing IMO

neither are sweet drinks, I probably drink a couple liters of tonic water a day....out of preference

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pretty much eliminated the starches and sugars when sick, and try to keep them low now. It's just healthy eating anyway, and a daily diet that my body does well with.

Like LaLyme, I am thinking that the body is used to processing the junk we put into it to some extent when we are well, but when we are sick and immune/hormone balance compromised, everything is more difficult for the body to cope with.

So foods mess us up, as do loud noises, smells, bright lights, etc. The body's coping mechanisms are just out of whack, or overtaxed. And some of us are more compromised than others, either by disease or the meds we take or both.

Here's a tip: when you want to cheat, go ahead and have that small piece of cake, but have it with a meal -- much less sugar highs and lows afterward.

My mantra when watching my diet: that ice cream (cake, cookie, etc.) will still be there after I'm done! As always, moderation is the key.

Take care,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast...friend or foe?

Yeast bind zinc. They LOWER cholesterol. In one aspect, it may be a protective move by the body.

Out of balance with the beneficial bacteria.

Too few of the "good guys" which help us to ABSORB and MAKE FOR US NUTRIENTS.

Too few beneficial bacteria = leaky gut. There is a barrier, but it will only hold up just so long.

Loading doses of probiotics = 5 at a time, with a full glass of water, one hour before a meal twice a day for 1 week and then "maintenance" doses.

The water dilutes the stomach acids so they don't destroy the good guys.

The time...allows them to reach their "home" (the intestine) where they can set up "housekeeping" and multiply.

Then you "feed" them while you are feeding yourself.

Yeast infections are more "visible" for gals.

Okay...what nutrients do we need:

1. Water
2. glycogen...slow release (complex carbs) so
as to NOT cause insulin SPIKES
3. minerals
4. vitamins
5. amino acids...the building blocks of protein

All in balance. That's the tricky part.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickitout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your opinion of susi (sp?). I know it is full protein but is it safe being raw?

I don't eat white foods, sugar etc.

Does anyone go to a nutrionist to clarify what is good and a correct balance of what we should eat?

I think I do quite well but get confused with with fruit and the sugar in it. I was told to eat a banana for potassium but isn't that full of sugar?

I am on potassium pills so can't I forget that banana?

Is there a website to outline what is great for us on antibiotics.

I eat fish, some meat, bran, lots of veg. raw and lightly stir fried in a little olive oil.

After reading this I feel I am messing up.

Anyone simplify this for me? Also on PB8 acidophilius 6 day. Light yogurt but it has 7-10 grams? of sugar. Is there a sugarless yogurt?

Posts: 139 | From nj | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not eat raw sushi ....... yur immune system is already compromised. Also, the rice is mixed with a load of sugar, thats what makes it sticky.

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickitout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Robi..that's what I thought. My daughter always eats it and that's what I tell her.

Yes, my immune system is quite compromised as I guess most are on here.

Someone said something about Kefir. I called my health food store and they don't carry it or know about it. Can anyone tell me where to get it?

Posts: 139 | From nj | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

whole foods or small local grocery that has health foods should carry keifer. It is not an unusual product.

robi

--------------------

mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountainmoma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get unsweetened yogurt, and unsweetened soy yogurt which is even better as it has no dairy.

You can make sushi without sugar, altho it often has a teeny bit in it, it doesnt always, so ask.

I've made it at home. It is mostly sticky because of the type of rice and how you cook it. When I make it at home I use short grain brown rice and extra water to keep it sticky. Toss it with rice vinegar, and before I had candida a tinny bit of honey or maple syrup--but I have also made it without sweetener just fine, plenty sticky.

A few places locally will make it with brown rice. Most dont use any sweetener. And, there is lots of sushi that does not involve raw fish. It is a very healthy food. Avacadoe, carrots. Macadamia nuts, special japanese veggies....yum...cuccumber is very common....

Im hungry for sushi now. Even if you cant get the exotic veggie combos we have here in santa cruz, you can always get Kappa(cucumber sushi roll) and they will make you special requests from whatever things they normally have around, carrots, avacadoe.

Posts: 222 | From Santa Cruz Mountains, CA USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Luvs:

WHAT are you doing baking potatoes? I thought you said you wanted to be healthy.

My wife will not so much as touch a potato. She gives me mashed packaged potatoes because I am a junk food junkie. But ALL she will eat is sweet potatoes since she went on her healthy eating kick last year. She has lost 49 pounds, eating about 6 times a day.'

WHITE potatos have oodles of starch which translates: A type of Sugar.

She eats hardly anything I eat. And she doesn't even have Lyme, or so she says. She eats lots of salads, almost no sweets, but does have to have her dark chocolate every so often. No sugar though.

She had very high blood pressure when she started, and now it is very normal.

I have never had high blood pressure, but my cholesterol is out of sight, I am sure.

iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At this point, with my lyme and coinfections being so bad and demylinating eyes and nerves, my life is pretty miserable. I can't drive, still see the computer and have been completely numb for almost a year. My parents take care of me. I can't read very much an article or two off the paper. I try to watch carbs but atthis point, when I feel like I can eat, I try to get good stuff down, but I do have a cookie or so. Not much other joy in life or anything that feels good. I am beginning to think I might have wished this on myself- my favorite desert when I was well was Key Lime Pie [bonk] Next lifetime, I will be addicted to always be well, rich and pretty pie ( just a joke!!!) [hi]
Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really dont have ANY idea how you guys do this. My LLMD put me on a 'pain free' diet once, no sugars,no carbs which is basicly NO food. He called it the "___" (somebody;s name) pain free diet. In two or three weeks everybody that saw me asked what the heck is wrong with you???And how did you lose so much weight so fast?? I literaly dropped 40 #s in a couple weeks. And I had NO energy. I hit the wall and couldnt do anything cause I didnt have the energy to think about it. And the pain was just as bad, no, worse I think!!
I also did the no 'taters, no 'maters, eggplant, peppers, (all nightshade family). now I admit to having extra pain when eatting a tomato sandwich, in season, or a big triple helping of potatoes. But it didnt do as advertised either. Moderation does the same as NONE!!!

I dont drink soda any more, I didnt drink any for a long time, drank two one hot day when I thought it ddnt bother me. I spent two days solid on the living room floor paying for it. Havent had one in years and years since. Havent had a beer in 6 years or more cause of adverse reactions there too.

I dont THINK I have ever had yeast, even tho I do eat sugars and carbs. How do you know you have yeast??? And how do you folk have energy to do anything IF you dont eat sugars or carbs??? Asking because I remain --just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Hi MountainMaMa...wow that sushi sure sounds great. i love all those things. Is it difficult to do?

Do you know if there are recipes any place on line or if there are cookbooks to tell you how to do it?

Just seems like a lot of coordinating things and getting it to roll. Or suppose you could just throw it all in a bowl and eat it. Yum!

mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Yes, you can throw it all in a bowl. Its not that hard tho. dont know where instructions are, someone showed me. They sell kits with a mat and instructions for rolling sushi--you might want to get one. But, try it with the unsweetened brown rice.

Basically, cook short grain brown rice with a little extra water so it is sticky. While its still hot, you put it into a bowl and sprinkle on some brown rice vinegar (this is where others might normally add a little sweetener) and stir.

lay a sheet of Nori down on your mat or kitchen towel. For us amitures, taller than wide orientation. Put thin coating of rice on lower 1/2 or 1/3 of nori. Use your fingers press it down flat and even, not too thick when learning to roll. 1/4 inch ?

above that put a small amount of filling, avacadoe for example. When your starting out, not too much. and leave alot of blank nori above the rice and filling.

Dip your fingers in a glass of water and wet the blank upper part of the nori, all of it that doesnt have rice or filling to hold the seal.

Roll evenly way from you, up. Follow instructions for sushi mat, or just try to tightly roll it.

I dont own a sushi mat actually. If the first ones seem loose, dont slice them. just eat them like a burrito. Its alot cheaper this way if you want to try it.

good luck

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Now I won't remember all the things I wanted to comment on....what a brain!!

peanuts....they have a mold on them or in them that can promote yeast growth

don....you have to eat vegetables for the energy!! Did you eat green beans or broccoli or squash or SOMETHING when you did that diet??

I can tell when I have yeast by the itchiness. Sometimes my scalp itches, I get tingling in my face or lips when I eat something sweet.

oh yeah....KEFIR.... Go to www.mercola.com and order his. That's the easiest, though not as cheap as ordering the grains yourself. His method is VERY easy for us brain-dead Lymies!

I wouldn't buy the stuff in the stores.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carvel cake drizzled with yummy Mepron. The colors go so well together. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carvel cake drizzled with yummy Mepron. The colors go so well together. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am type O - no bread/grains/milk

Do the Celiac diet because of my antiglaidin antibodies

Allergic to soy, potatoes make me hurt more

Read Shoemakers Mold Warrior book, he says NO rice! NO bananas because of amylose but that Diet Coke is OK [tsk] - I don't think so with neurolyme. I have been eating a lot of rice breads, etc. Now I don't know what to do!

No sugar

Never drank coffee or wine - maybe I should try

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

I just had my supper, Mashed potatoes, Meatloaf, green beans and a nice size piece of cherry cake with a Rhubarb sauce my wife made from our fresh Rhubarb today. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Jim [Cool]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement