LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does having a dog increases your chances for getting Lyme Disease?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does having a dog increases your chances for getting Lyme Disease?
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think? Is having a dog increases your chances of getting LD?
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on whether or not he brings you a tick or drags you through bushes and brushes at the park. Otherwise, no.. puppies are cute. [Smile]

--------------------
You want your life back? Take it.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does living increase your chance of dying?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 4 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does being a Lymie's dog increase your chances of getting Lyme? I think our dog got it from being around us.

Scroll down and watch the video of what Lyme does to a dog. Poor thing.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/lyme.html

Fortunately they seem to respond to ABX better than we do, and unlike the ducks, many Veterinarians actually know how to recognize it.

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly increases your chances of getting slobbered on. [Big Grin]

I was worried about this, but the affection & companionship I get from my pup well outweighs the risk. He's got short hair, is on frontline, and I check him every day to be safe.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO Yes, dogs bring ticks into the house. That way you can get Lyme by staying in or by going out. That would increase ones chance of getting it.
hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the worst risk would be if you have them in your bed with you.

I love animals, but don't have one now....and may never again.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, as well as a friend I've made who also has Lyme, got the diseases from ticks on indoor/outdoor cats.

I love animals and used to volunteer every day for cat rescue and adoption groups, and I still play with all the neighbors' pets. But I have become much more aware that our best friends can bring ticks into our lives. But most people do have their pets on flea/tick medications and examine their dogs and cats for ticks, so what else can you do?

The companionship, especially when ill, can be very comforting.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This question makes me chuckle. Of course, having a dog increases your chances of getting Lyme, unless you keep the poor critter locked up inside. Ticks LOVE furry creatures.

Brush your pet and check for ticks. And, I agree that you should definitely keep him/her out of your bed.

No dogs or cats residing in my house anymore.

Some of the responses here are very funny. Nice to see some light-heartedness on this forum.

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curley911
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curley911     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I walked my dog in a grassy area by our house, laid in the grass looking at the sun and got bit by a tick loaded w/lyme. Be careful that you keep your dog on tick meds so they don't bring in too many ticks. I'm in N FL so it's hot and humid and a breeding ground for ticks.

Of course you know I went to my Dr. w/the bullseye rash and she said "oh, that's nothing". 4 mo. later she dx'd me w/lupus. Brilliant.

I love my dog, she never left my side when I was really sick when friends thought I was snubbing them. Incidentally, those little green chameleons were recently studied and found to be LOADED w/borrelia bacteria. I'm more afraid of them!

Posts: 982 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure I got my tick all on my own from riding horses and camping in the mountains.

I was once a professional dog groomer and kept a jar of rubbing alcohol handy which I dubbed "Tick Tomb" to place all the ticks in I pulled off customers' dogs. How is that for exposure? I'm sure none of those ticks ever bit me. I used tweezers to remove them.

My own pets are fed a natural powder called "Bugcheck" which does a superb job of repelling fleas. I never allow my pups to run in woods. We live on horse farms that we and the horses keep mowed short so ticks are never seen. So the dogs never have ticks or fleas.

Bugcheck is designed for horses to repel flies and it works very well. Also acts as a parasite cleanse. If you have pets and want to try this wonderful product, I highly recommend it. You can check it out at www.thenaturalvet.net.

It makes the horses coats incredibly shiny, but I have not noticed this change in the dogs coats although their skin never is dry and flaky. Not sure if Bugcheck gets the credit or not. Bugcheck is non-toxic and I find it more effective than frontline. Cheaper too.

I love animals and would be miserable without them. It isn't hard to keep the dogs insect free.
Horses are tougher. Lyme disease has been found in mosquitos and horseflies. Man, I get bit by both of those plenty. But so do all my horse loving friends and none of them are sick.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firecop1066
Member # 6920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firecop1066     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not trade my dogs "trooper and ranger", golden retrievers for anything, I would trade my husband in a heart beat and may, but never my dogs. I bring them up north with me (wisconsin where i got bit)they play and swim and sleep in my bed every night at home and up there....

I use front line, they get tick flea baths, I comb them check them, and they have the vaccine (good idea who knows?)I just pulled a tick off me two weeks ago up north and my dogs were not with me.

It probably increases your chances, but honest to god truth, I would go through this all again if it meant I could keep my dogs...I dont have kids so I cannot imagine my life without them, god knows there are the only ones who have offered unconditional love to me throughout my illness it sure wasnt my family and friends...Good Luck...Jill

Posts: 83 | From Northern Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cats are good. can keep them inside. always.

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walking outside increases your risk.

Im working on my bubble right now ;-)

i have an indoor cat- she hates all bugs and kills them all and wont stop until they are gone. She alerts me to spiders before i see them by chirping at them.

If she had a tick on her im sure she would just kill it.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All
Sure it dose-
Just keep this in mind
and be more careful and observant-

You can teach him to fetch your pills-
--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement