LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ingesting herbs (Buhner)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ingesting herbs (Buhner)
BrainDead
Member # 9130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrainDead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received the following from 1stChinese:

(25456) Chuan Xin Lian Andrographis Herb POUND, 500 gram bag cut ($10.99) X 1 =
$10.99

(25746) Fang Ji Stephania Root 1 POUND bag, cut ($12.99) X 1 = $12.99

(25779C) Hu Zhang, aka: Bushy Knotweed Rhzme 100 gram bottle ($11.99) X 1 =
$11.99

if i have to make tea, i'd like to make a gallon of mixed herbs (after i start them individually for adverse reaction checking), but i don't know how to strain.

I'd rather make capsules or take powder mixed with food or something (not sure how i'd measure accurately tho).

besides making tea, what other ways could I ingest these?

thanks

Posts: 4 | From Orlando | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrographis is probably way too bitter to use for tea -- at least that is what Buhner's book says.

I tried the Stephania root tea with hubby -- made him vomit. Plan to try capsules soon to see if that will work.

There was another post by Daystar recently about Buhner's protocol. Will try to find that and give you the link.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=043274

When making herbal teas I put a coffee filter inside of a funnel to strain the tea. May take several filters if herbs are very finely ground (powdered).

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another possibility as to how to use the herbs -- make a tea for the bath or just soak your hands and feet in it. Not sure how well the specific herbs you mentioned would work for this, but works well for many herbs.

From the recipes in my book, "Handmade Medicines" it looks like the "standard dose" for a tea (not to drink but for the bath -- much stronger) is 1 tablespoon of each herb in 2 cups of water.

Simmer in a covered pot for 30 minutes. Strain out the herbs or just dump it all in the bathwater. Use only glass pot (coffeepot is great) or uncoated stainless steel cookware.

Would be very interested in how this works if you decide to try it as have not tried this with hubby yet.

This is not medical advice, but just my opinion.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am wondering WHY you ordered the CUT herbs instead of the POWDERED herbs in bulk?

You need the powedered herbs to put in capsules. And when you put them properly into the capsules, (tamp them), they will be measured properly then.

I use either 00 or 0 size capsules when I encapsulate my herbs.

IF the recommended protocol says to take 4 capsules, use four of the 0 size. You can substitue 3 of the 00 size instead if you like.

You can get your empty capsules the cheapest from Wonder Laboratories on the net. THey also have the machines cheapest.

Or for a little more money, get them at StarWest Botanicals, also on the net. StarWest also has many of the herbs I use for Lyme. I try to get their best ones.

1st Chinese Herbs is also good for the powdered herbs, but do not have them all. I get my resveratol from them in 3.5 ounce jars.

I get everything in POWDERED form, except for Red Root which I buy cut and made a tincture and also Periwinkle in cut form for a tincture. EVERYthing else is in powdered form for capsules.

Jim

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

PS: I would see IF you can send the cut hers back to them and trade them in for the powdered hrebs. IF you haven't opened them they might take them back.

Otherwise just throw them away and reorder. You didn't spend much for them.

Jim [Cool]

Member # 8925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's OK to have the herbs cut. They keep longer activ in this condition.

If you want to have them powdered, just put into a coffee-grinder and make the powder.

Posts: 71 | From germany | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

I guess I never thought of that. Course I don't have a coffee grinder. Also, more work. And another thought. You won't have most of the herbs around very long, once you get on Buhner's maximum protocol, so they should NOT spoil.

Also, you can refrigerate most of them. this especially if you use the Blue Plum brand from 1st Chinese.

JMO

Jim [Cool]

Member # 8925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, true enough, JimBoB, herbs won't have any chance to get old with people like us. [Wink]

I was just speaking generally.

Posts: 71 | From germany | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If dried properly -

A stone mortar and pestle will make better powder than any machine.

That's how the medicine men/shamen do it.

I have one and I like it much better than anything else for medicinal herbs and spices for food.

I also take all powdered herbs on the tongue with a swig of juice.
No capsules necessary, and you absorb them better.
Tho tea/tincture/or decoction is best.........
this is next best.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

On the tongue and/or tea is okay for SOME herbs, Mo. However you would have to be a glutton for punishment to take SOME of them that way.

I can't find THAT type of protocol anywhere in Buhner's Healing Lyme book and since I am trying to follow His protocol as close as I can, I won't be doing the tongue thing anytime soon.

I did try SOME of the herbs on the tongue and some UNDER the tongue, but thought I was going to die for the burning and pain. Don't think I want to do that again.

I personally would NOT recommend that to anyone, unless they are able to take super hot spices without any problem. I cannot do that, nor can many people.

JMHO

Jim [Cool]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement