LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » slight incontinence,chronic Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: slight incontinence,chronic Lyme
dharmacleaning
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dharmacleaning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hit search to see if there were any previous posts on incontinence or urine leakage, but none came up. I thought someone had written about this, but perhaps not. About year 3 after babesiosis and who knows how long I'd had Lyme, I noticed some urine leakage - just enough to have to wear a panty pad just to feel comfortable. As I'm seeing an obgyn next week, wonder if anyone has feedback. Thanks for your response to a delicate subject!
Posts: 731 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started having this problem like two or three days ago, upon starting a handful of new drugs.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the urgency type leakage. I struggle walking, had foot surgery and still on crutches, so when I gotta go, I gotta go!!

As soon as I feel a minor bladder twinge, I gotta find the bathroom. Did find that if I treat for vaginal yeast infections periodically, (even with no obvious symptoms), I no longer have to rush or panic.

It's a good thing I have a shy bladder, all my husband or family has to do is talk to me while I'm heading to the bathroom and no leakage.

I'm kinda weird that way, even can't go in public restrooms if any other person in there.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, I'm like dmc too. Yes, there was a lengthy discussion about this awhile back.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It took me awhile to figure out that for me, caffeine was the culprit. Since I no longer drink coffee, I think it's my dark chocolate mini binges that may trigger it.
Posts: 175 | From ma. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this and it went away with treatment...I hope yours does too.

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my first episode of incontinence last week. I went to bed , on what I thought was an empty bladder. I had a dream that I was in a khaki safari outfit and had several peopple that I privately email and Im that are on this board with me. We were in a jungle and I was spraying the tarnations out of the ticks. Everyone was cheering at me, saying I sprayed all the ticks and wiped out Lyme disease in the world. Somebody in my dream kept yelling send her the nobel prize.

I was very modest in my dream saying I didn't want the Nobel, afterall I just sprayed them.

I woke up and found out just how well I did spray those ticks.

No further episodes, no further dreams, and I bought a mattress cover for the bed.

[rant]

Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biting Back
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biting Back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there dharma,

I've had incontinence since childhood and have probably had lyme & co for that long. I had another vaginal hemorrhage back in November and my OB/GYN recommended performing a uterine ablation to stop the bleeding. He also suggested doing a bladder sling at the same time for the incontinence. Now that conjures up some funny images, doesn't it?

Long story short, it worked! No more incontinence for me and it's done on an outpatient basis.

I'm not suggesting you have the surgery, but it's something to put on the back burner when you decide you can't live with it any longer.

Good luck!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 703 | From Almost Heaven | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MizMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MizMo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been a chronic problem - I developed cystitis from fighting the chronic kidney infection. Along with that comes the frequency and urgency. Medication is helping but from what I've read, cystitis is really hard to get rid of once it's become chronic. [Frown]

--------------------
http://scottsbt.com/maureen/mo2.htm

Posts: 145 | From Mystic Island, NJ 08087 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You wont need surgery unless the base of your bladder is weak and you need it slung back up.

Incontinence can come from meds, from the lyme, from an overactive bladder from vitamin B's and caffeine, AND from an infection. ( and you can have an infection and not have the slightest inkling you do)

Talk to your doc; maybe have a culture done WITH sensitivities. Or consult a gyne maybe?

--------------------
You want your life back? Take it.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dharmacleaning
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dharmacleaning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback! If anyone finds the discussion that was on, let me know. As I said, hitting search didn't bring up anything. Caffine may well be the culprit, but my stepmother also developed this after her second bout of Lyme and she didn't drink coffee at all. I'll see what the obgyn says...........
thanks again!

Posts: 731 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol B
Unregistered

Aaaah-a subject near and dear to my heart- with a happy ending.

I was first diagnosed for Lyme in July 2004 and treated for three weeks with 1000mg Ceftin per day by my primary care duck.

Within a month of ending treatment(actually I had to ask for the third week-he only wanted to treat me for two weeks)I began having UTI's. Painful, overwhelming, disrupt my life infections.

Finally referred to urologist ,another swelled head seldom covers a broad mind type of duck.He did a cystoscopy-leaving me in more pain than I had ever experienced before. Diagnosed nothing-UTI's continued. Put on meds for overactive bladder for urge incontinence.

Along the way I would raise the question-could this have anything to do with LYME???????

Gradually became more and more incontinent-until the only security I had were fullfledged pull-up granny panties.Only consolation-I was assured of clean underwear each day and didn't have to do so much laundry.

I also began to experience bowel incontinence-that's fun- especially when you are at work and stuck on the slowest elevator in the building.

Referred to gastroenterologist(sp) who did the dreaded colonoscopy. Everyone told me not to worry- it was nothing. I got so sick I was projectile vomiting.

This stupid duck as much as accused me of abusing laxatives. Said I had colon staining indicative of the overuse of laxatives. Biopsy came back negative for laxative abuse-BOZO.

Could this have anything to do with LYME ??? I asked. He just shrugged his shoulders and said I had IBS-eat more oatmeal and come back and see him in six weeks.

Then my bladder prolapsed! Hello-and what might this be that I seem to be giving birth to? In fact it dropped so swiftly and completely it brought down the rest of my reproductive organs.

Referred to urogynecologist-Sweet Jesus-no duck here, a genuine caring doctor-forgot they still existed.

Also about this time it was obvious to me if no one else that I needed to see an LLMD. Blood work sent to Calif. came back in neon lights-LYME DISEASE-no further doubt it. Another genuine Doctor who actually LISTENED to me.

Meanwhile it was necessary for me to have surgery by this openminded, gentle ,caring urogynecologist-total hysterectomy and bladder repair and a definitive diagnosis for Interstitial Cystitis. The lyme diet seems to have helped the IBS,too.

LLMD says many of her patients have IC and that Lyme could very well have contributed to the weakness of my pelvic floor muscles allowing everything to fall out.Also said incontinence could be because Lyme weakens the bladder muscle.

So now I am taking meds for IC and LYME . Feeling like a grown up again not like a toddler who isn't potty trained. Still wear protection merely because I am spooked and have been embarrassed too many times to give it up.Kind of like a security blanket.

Getting used to healing can take time, too.
One of these brave days I will wear only Hanes Her Way again.

So take heed, and don't let any numbskull tell you in any condescending way-well these things happen as we age.JERKS

Better in Balto, Carol

bettyg
Unregistered

Iceskater, I LOVED your funny story above and know I was one of your blessed friends on the safari with you.

How's your Mom doing after her new lyme dx lately? Is she coming on here reading to educate herself? Best wishes to her, you, and dear Dad who's now taking care of the 3 of you!

dharmacleaning
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2114

Oh horrors! What a journey, Carol, but happy it turned out ok. I'll see what the obgyn says and go from there - hope to avoid surgery, but remember the last years of my stepmother's life were just awful with incontinence. Nothing helped and she was terribly embarressed by the constant flood. Whether or not Lyme has anything to do with it, I don't know. But I suspect Lyme whenever something goes wrong........
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ice skaater too FUNNY!....You get umm girl!

lol.. [Eek!]

dharmacleaning...my llmd says lyme loves the bladder....I know some natural summplements are good for bladder uva ursi, dandelion. Cipro and iv rocephina re what helped me the most..

Oh and don't wear thongs if you have bladder problems....(just something I learned).. [bonk]

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement