LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone else's spelling getting worse?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone else's spelling getting worse?
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that lyme can effect memory and cognitive thinking but I am wondering if anyone sees significant changes in their spelling abilities.

When I was young I was one of the best spellers... they always put me in the spelling bees which I hated...

Then when I 12 - 13 something in my brain broke and I just couldnt spell well anymore.

I haven't been able to spell well since. Lately it seems to be getting worse.

Has anyone had this resolve with treatment?

I am a bit worried because I went to school to be an art teacher.... and when I am better that is what I intend on doing.

So, I need to be able to spell somewhat at least.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I have had lyme since I was at least 10 (maybe longer but definetely by 10) so the lyme preceaded the spelling issues.

just curious because it would be really bad if my young students can spell better than I can.

Thank You [Smile]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had quite a bit of trouble with spelling over the past several years. I was always a GREAT speller!

I'm not sure I can say I've gotten any better, but at least it hasn't gotten any worse!!

It's strange too, that I've had Lyme since I was about 8 yrs old and the spelling problems didn't show up until I was about 40! Maybe it's just AGE-related!!!! [rant]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 3 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spelling is a big problem. But here on lymenet we just go with the flow.

I'm a graphic artist for the sign industry. And I misspell alot! Kinda funny when you think about it [Big Grin]

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The longer I go with out abx because of stomach issues the more I find myself reversing letters.
Sorta like htis.

I was never an Einstein before lyme but now I have to sound out and re-check everything.

I figure at least I can type and people here should understand -if anyone will- the challanges
of lyme. [Smile]

p.s. I ask my hubby alot how to spell stuff. Like I just asked him how to spell Einstein.
God bless his patience

and hit the edit button alot [Smile]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I developed this problem after starting Lyme treatment - it had never shown up while I was symptomatic with Lyme but misdiagnosed. Now I get intermittent bouts of several weeks.

It started with the letter-switching dyslexia. Then I went through a phase where I would choose a different spelling of a word that sounds the same such as spelling "due" as "do" but I'll go several weeks of being fine, then the letter-switching hits again.

I've seen this listed on several Lyme symptom sites. In fact, it's listed on my LLMD's assessment list of symptoms.

I am a professional writer. I have had many embarrassing situations with clients because of this. I have to proofread over and over again, use SpellCheck, etc. but sometimes the mistakes get through.

And like many of you, I have always been the great speller - in school and even as an adult.

At least we won't get criticized on this site if our slip-ups happen!

Take care,
Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that I transpose both numbers and letters, especially when typing. I usually do catch myself, luckily.

I've had Lyme for about 8 or 9 years but this just started happening about a year and a half ago for me.

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....If they're really looking for the best why don't they call the contest a spelling 'A'....
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I can't spell as well anymore either. Not only do I put wrong letters in, I put in wrong words, without realizing it. Whole wrong words! And my memory is certainly a paper tiger now.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, spelling can definitely be affected by Lyme disease.

I am a tournament Scrabble player, and spelling is essential to playing the game well. When sick, I noticed many more misspellings and letter reversals when typing. I had much worse recall of how to spell certain words used in Scrabble -- I am very visual, and the words just didn't "look" right, even if they were correct.

I also looked at old message board posts from before I was sick, and noticed that I was more literate (both in length of posts and vocabulary) than when I later relapsed.

But it does get better. Shortly after returning to health, I entered a nearby Scrabble tournament, and won my division. I've noticed that when the words "look wrong" these days, it is usually because they ARE wrong.

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, you noticed! My spelling was very bad when I was my sickest. It improved with me, but some days are still a struggle. I was never a great speller though.

I can add again! Does that help?

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaPI
Member # 5587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaPI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was always great with spelling before LD. For a while spellcheck and the dictionary were always with me when writing. Dsylexia became a big problem as did speach with difficulty finding words, using the correct ones and even combining words. I think my mom is the only one that can understand my strange language at times

I had major improvement wit tx but then had another flare and things got worse again.

I also went back to college part-time and at first was sure I would have to drop my classes. I now feel like personally, using my brain in different ways helped.

Posts: 80 | From Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pru
Member # 9070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi..

i don't have a lyme dx yet but this is the weirdest thing... i noticed in the last week that when i write, not type, but write certain words i will start with the 2nd letter of the word, instead of the first. i have done it about 10 times in the last few days and it's quite funny.

i will be writing in my journal and instead of writing being, b e i n g, i will write the e first and then have to squeeze in the b and continue on... it's quite odd. i don't know if this has anything to do with lyme, heck i don't even know if i have lyme, but judging from my strange symptoms, i sure think so.

michelle

Posts: 55 | From portland, or, | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dnot konw waht yuo guys are tlanikg aubot.

I've not had any turolbe wtih sellpnig.

Snday

p.s. As long as we get the first letter and the last, we can read it!

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is this english im reading?

are these words?

am I really here?

why can I read only one word at a time and not remember the one that came before it.

see what i mean
hear what i see?

??????con fused?

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with the rest of you. Allie, you hit me to a T also with your comments.

From Feb. 9, 06, here on lymenet when I had a major herx that many of you were involved in "searching phsycially" for me, I've really gone downhill.

As I'm up late at night like this to 2-3 am, the WORSE I get. I typed something to doc wisebutt last night thatwhen I saw today was dribble; made NO sense. I could NOT believe I typed something like that & left it here.

Oh, I did learn something. I deleted my ENTIRE post using the delete button feature! It does not show up on the board at all. I did it all by myself! [toilet]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an aside: For me sometimes, I get another form of dyslexia as well.

For example, I'll look at a street sign and it says Foster St. I'll look again and it's actually Forester St.. My mind will miss a few letters or rearrange them when I'm reading, sometimes.

This just started happening for me--within the last few months.

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I do the reversing letters thing a lot.

When I delete the word, and retype, I keep retyping it with the reversed letlters.

Apparently I often add extra letters in, too.

Fortunately, I think we are all just as good about reading Lymanese as we are about writing it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

I use folks spelling to guage how
sick they are at the moment--
Seems to be fairly accurate--

My spelling has been Horriable my
whole life because I have dyslexia
perty bad --

Strangely- I used to be perty good
at Scrable tho --go figure--

I did not figure out I had dyslexia
till I was 30 yrs old by seeing a TV
show on it--
I was like Wow thats what I See --

Figured out I have Lyme by seeing
a TV show on it Also --
I said those symptoms match me Exactily--
(Lyme Bullseye and all)

I sure wish LN had Spellcheck--
To Outsiders the folks here can look
like idots--Sometimes-Ouch-

You know the First Impression thing- Ouch

I think this can have a Very Bad effect
on people and Doctors who come to this
site looking for answers --

I spend huge amounts of time
spell checking each of my posts --

I dont think I have written one
line that I dont have to go back
and fix Many mistakes -

There is also words that I want to use
but I cant spell them--

I talked to someone who said that
they have a computer program
that will write your spoken word--

He said it worked perty well--
Sure wish I had it-

If I could remember the Name of the
software- I would Try it-LOL

My spelling has gotten better as
I have gotten better--Jay--

Ps -I wrote a post about a year ago
called - I Cant Spell --

Someone wrote in a post that
was perty good on what people can
read --worth the search-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eye candt spill ate alle.

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay....that was me, the ever lurking bactrim buzzard....

The program is called iListen, and it's about halfway useful but if you're distracted or tired or anything it screws up pretty bad.

you ought to have spell check on that mac if you use Safari and have apple works enabled. But I can read you fine, in fact with them posts all along the left side I can read something else with my right eye at the same time.

glad you're doing better

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My online friend has this, but has SEVERE MS/LYME, and can't use her hands anymore so it's voice controled. I count my blessings every time I receive an email from her, and she has a 4 yr. old boy with his own health problems.
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish we had a spellcheck feature available before we post a message. I have asked the powers that be but gotten nowhere.

The spelling stuff can be part of cognitive dysfunction from Lyme. Neuropsychiatric testing can pinpoint the problems.

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to know I am not alone [Big Grin]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Know eye havnen't knoticed any probelms wiht my speling. [Smile]
hatsnscarfs

P.S. Yes, some days I substitute vowels, other days I reverse letters and sometimes I just can't remember how to spell. Lately I have some good days too where I can spell again (after almost 2 years of treatment). I even screwed up the spelling of my name here. After a year of abx I realized the plural of scarf is scarves. Anyway I'm staying hatsnscarfs.

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shizuko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shizuko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I misspell words when my arms and shoulders are in pain and sluggish.

Also, when I feel like I can't see well or my brain is on break or something.

I use spell check whenever available.

Numbers are worse for me though. I write down people's phone numbers, etc, as I hear, and I am writing some of the numbers in reverse or totally different number.

I think I am hearing them correctly as I do repeat the numbers in my head and usually remember correctly. But when I look at what I wrote down, there is a problem there.

Maybe I started losing hearing although my problem with numbers has a long history.

shizuko

Posts: 110 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement