LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Herx Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herx Questions
AmandaPI
Member # 5587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaPI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am wondering...

1)What are your worst sx from herxing?

2)How long does it usually last? I'm sure it's different with varying abx.

3)How long into the course of abx or change of abx does it usually start?

4)Do situational life stressors worsen the sx?

I've been on so many abx and have not been able to establish a pattern. Right now I'm Biaxin and Ery.

I am mostly bed ridden from fatigue, pain, dizzyness and UT problems (bladder retention to the point of needing a catheter). Lying in bed all day also can't be helping the pain.

I am also severely depressed and so frustrated with this process I just want to give up. I'm unable to work right now and and in the process of a possible breakup so the emotions are running really high.

I don't have a LLMD because there are none in my state. I do go to a doctor that has limited experience and is willing to learn.

I'm sure I'm herxing and did see the other post about things that can help. I will definately start implementing what I can.

Posts: 80 | From Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we all herx differently. My herxes usually involve my joints more than anything. I also get that ache all over feeling even worse than usual, and more of a headache.

I start to herx usually about 4 days after switching or starting abx, and herx about every 4 weeks for a day or two, sometiimes longer. Lack of sleep increases the intensity of the herx.

Hang in there and things will get better. I am still working, but some days sure wish I didn't have to!

(((((((((HUGS)))))))

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like things are rough right now.

i was someone who didn't herx a lot, but did for a time rather recently.

it effected me with body aches and stiffness as well as some neuro symptoms, too.

felt like a combination of the flu and a severe hangover. not that i would know what the latter was like.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason my herx starts
for me after a hour or two
from my first dose-
If I herx at all-

Everybody is different

I get migrains -

The longest one lasted 19
head squeezing days--Ouch

Kind of weird tho because
Joint pain and stiff neck
where my worst symptoms

Stay away from stress--
Take care of Yourself First-

Then things may fall inline

Hope this helps --Jay

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaPI
Member # 5587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaPI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information and encouragement!

I stopped taking my abx yesterday because things got so bad and I'm actually feeling better somewhat better this morning. Still not getting much sleep though.

I got an appt. with my doctor today to discuss what is going on.

It helps to know that someone understands. I hope you are all doing well in your journy to recovery.

Amanda

Posts: 80 | From Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So very sorry to hear you are undergoing so much trauma with it.

I know the feeling and some days you wish you weren't even alive. NOT fun at all.

AND some days it felt hopeless, like there was no hope, like it couldn't end fast enough.

THIS was when I was on ABX. SINCE I quit, there has been a few times when I have herxed, but nothing like when I was on the abx.

Some of my joint and muscle pain come back for a day, occasionally, but not the big-time problems of when on abx.

The best part is NO stomach pain to speak of, since off the abx, and especially since taking C-Salts from nutri.com every day. C-Salts are like a miracle for my stomach. I had severe pain and nausea before I started using it. With or without abx. With or without herbs.

Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amanda, my heart aches for you feeling your pain, frustration, and isolcation; that's why you have us lymies! [Big Grin]

1)What are your worst sx from herxing?
PAIN in my right arm was 24/7 felt like it had been hit all night long; just throbbing. Then it went into the wrist/hands at night time making it hard to sleep.

Sleep; I had a sleep apnea test done; I stop breathing when I sleep, and I NEVER REACH DELTA 4 where the body rejuvenates itself and heals itself from injuries! Perhaps you have this too!

2)How long does it usually last? I'm sure it's different with varying abx.

Yes, absolutely; no 2 people are alike at all. All depends on what ELSE is wrong with us in addition to the lyme.

3)How long into the course of abx or change of abx does it usually start?

My r. arm hurt for 18-19 months until just recently! I had 4-5 weeks of physical therapy but it made me WORSE each time I tried doing this.

4)Do situational life stressors worsen the sx?

YES, BIG TIME! It tears us apart so your relationship is just adding to the spirochete's fun on herxing your body.

Try to be as STRESS FREE as possible. Don't let things build up in you; sound off as needed. TAKE CARE OF YOU!

Also, find a FUNNY movie, tape, etc. and play it over & over to release those hormones into your body.

Best wishes to you. I've NOT been bedridden but I'm in/out all day long.

Mono/epstein barr virus set this off 37 years ago; fond out 2 yrs. ago I had chronic lyme, and 34 years misdiagnosed.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement