LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Garlic -- freeze-dried or fresh? Gigi?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Garlic -- freeze-dried or fresh? Gigi?
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much freeze-dried garlic did you take & how often?

If a person takes fresh garlic, how much & how often?

Neither of the health food stores in my town carry freeze-dried, & recommended I try fresh. Last week I crushed 1 large clove into a glass of V-8 juice. I think it cleared liver congestion!!! I had been having a lot of liver & gallbladder pain, but it cleared up after that.

So I'd like to continue with fresh garlic instead of freeze-dried, unless some of you know reasons that freeze-dried would be better.

Thank you.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3559

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm not sure which is better or know the dosage for eating it raw. But, either way, it should definitely be organically grown so youre not ingesting more toxins.

personally, I've found it easier to take the freeze dried capsules because its much harder to comfortably ingest the same dosage raw. And with the raw, you have to chew it a bit before swallowing to release the allicin. Not easy!

As far as the freeze dried, Dr K recommends taking it either immediately after meals on a full stomach (2-3 caps 3-4X/day) or 2 caps dissolved in 1-2oz water and taken away from meals.

Hope this helps [Cool]

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a good source for organic freeze dried caps: http://biopureus.com/products.htm
Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take about 8-12 capsules a day opened up in water. 3-4 3 times a day. I use the ones from BioPure (www.BioPureUS.com).

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey tempe

Maybe you might want to think of doing both fresh and freeze dryed.

I like the garliaze caps or the freeze dryed garlic better than the raw.

The raw can be contaminated with pestisides ect.. and makes me smell worse and gives me indigestion.

It is also hard to get the high dose of allium and other compounds in just the raw that are found in the freezed dryed or garlic sups.Here are a couple of articles/threads:

http://www.gaiaresearch.co.za/garlic.html

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=040693

[ 11. May 2006, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: 5dana8 ]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take the capsules I make from the Organic Garlic Powder that I bought from StarWest.

I don't take it for a particular reason, just decided to take them a month or so ago.

I take three a day. I do not open them up as I don't like the smell of Garlic and have NONE with the capsules. I hate making them though, as I can smell the Garlic when doing them. Ugh!

Figure they should be at least better than the ones my wife uses from Wal-Mart.

Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got great answers from SunRa, Scott, and others.

I myself would not have been able to use fresh garlic as a medicine because I just would not do that every day. I readily though go to my capsules and take them at the time needed. The garlic is only effective when taken in a certain way and/or at certain times when eating a meal.

I recently heard from some German doctors that really do the garlic thing --- if you could afford only one medicine for your ailments such as Lyme Disease and all the infections that go along with it - Garlic would be the one. I think it is pretty dumb not to take advantage of this lowly plant that does so much.

Here are some healing benefits:

Garlic has been shown to protect the white and red blood cells from oxidative damage, caused by metals in the blood stream.

Garlic also has its own valid detoxification functions.

Garlic contains numerous sulphur components, including the most valuable sulph-hydryl groups which oxidize mercury, cadmium and lead, making these metals water soluble and easier to excrete.

Garlic is protective against heart disease and cancer.

Garlic has a high affinity for toxins. Unlike Chlorella (which binds these toxins so tightly that they are not released in the digestive process), garlic splits these toxins off in the intestinal tract and some or many of them are absorbed.

Organic Freeze Dried Garlic

Garlic contains bioactive selenium, the most important mineral which protects from mercury toxicity. Garlic selenium is the most beneficial natural bio-available source (most selenium products are poorly absorbable and do not reach those body compartments in need for it).

Certified organic garlic which has been freeze dried to highly maintain its 20,000 ppm alliin content (Biopure's). No binders or filling agents have been used. Since garlic has a ghih affinity for toxins, commercial garlic is often loaded with pesticides and heavy metals. The freeze drying process highly restores and maintains the alliin contehnt. It is distinguisedh from most other commercial garlic productrs that have no allicin releasing potential left.

Recommended dosage:

1-3 capsules after each meal. Start with one capsule after the main meal each day and then slowly increase to the higher dosage. Initially you may experience die-0ff reactions (from killing pathogenic fungal or bacterial organisms).

Wild bear garlic tincture is excellent for use in detox, but less effective as an antimicrobial agent.

I still like to take a capsule or 2 or 3, open them into hot water, let sit for a couple minutes to release the allicin, and drink it. It tastes very pleasant and you do not have to wait for taking it right after you have a meal (the digestive juices that are strongly flowing when you eat is what is needed to release the allicin, so that you get the benefit. Cooking with garlic or eating it raw is a different story.

If you consider it a medicine to aid you in killing bacteria, viruses, fungi and also help with the metal aspect - the freeze dried stuff is the best by far. Regularlity is also important. Hit and miss will not be as effective.

A break after a couple of weeks is good; then start over again. Never take anything continuously, unless it is life-supporting. The body has a way of turning against a perfectly good agent or medicine, because it forces the organs to work harder (allergic reactions are often the answer) - goes for all supplements, etc

Take care.

P.S.. I know you all think I am crazy for constantly inserting the heavy metals aspect.

But if you think for one minute that any one of you gets by without having a heavy metal toxicity problem - you are sooooo wrong. Everybody has it.
Heavy metals are now in chicken and in the eggs they lay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mercury and other heavy metals are everywhere - in the air we breath, in the food we eat (organic or not - more or less), the water we drink, with the result that literally every patient that shows up in Dr. K's office has it stashed away somewhere. So unless you can tell me that you are living on a different planet and have just come here to visit old friends, you may not have to worry about any of this.

I would go as far to say that because of this heavy metaal toxicity, Lyme has hit many of us so hard. Toxins from mercury, lead, aluminum, cadmium, iron, nickel and many more metallic minerals permeate the Earth. Heavy and light metals poison us by combining to create the Toxic Metal Syndrome. The symptoms of Lyme and Co. are identical to Toxic Metal syndromes, as they are to Mold, etc. The result is the whole list of any disease you have ever heard of. Don't live in dreamland - you have got to rid the body of the excess almost on an ongoing basis. I no longer suffer from Lyme and have not for years, but I do watch and take care of myself re heavy metals.

Just think: Dr. K. included the frequencies for Chemtrails in the KMT's!

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi, does everyone have metal toxicity? I've checked mine by a chelation doc and he stated I was fine. That said, many folks do come out positive. (especially in the elderly). I've seen some lives dramatically change from chelox treatments.
Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with GiGi that everyone has some degree of metals. Even if they do a long-term detox, the day you stop, the load starts again. It is a life-long battle to keep the metals down and I do not think anyone gets away from it. Certainly amalgams make it worse, but mercury and other metals are just about everywhere in our environment. I would find it dangerous to take the position that metals are not an issue....for anyone.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean it when I say - unless you have spent your life on a different planet until now, you carry heavy metals in your body. We are living in a far more toxic and hostile environment than our body was designed to handle. All health problems are aggravated by the increase in lead levels in our bones - about a 1000% increase. I have seen the abstract by a well known research university that heart disease patients have 20,000 times more toxic heavy metal levels than healthy hearts.

A Body Burden study also shows the chemical buildup in most. Some people worse than others.
I am sure, so is my doctor, that if you have Lyme Disease, you fall in the category of worse than others. 50% of men and 33% of all women living now will die of cancer. In my earlier days it was still a few in a hundred. Now it's almost every second or third.

It is difficult to test with certainly - even by challenge test. But it's there. It is in the food chain and every where else. Some people have a better detox mechanism than others, but affected are all.

Many 90year olds are okay because the did not eat and live plastics as many younger people do.

My doctor's philosophy: whatever the diagnosis, Lyme or otherwise, if symptoms are there, the metals and chemicals are in there somewhere. And as treatment moves along, the time comes when they will show up if one knows how to look for them and/or recognize them. The symptoms of any of the causes cannot be distinguished. Neurotoxins cause the same symptoms no matter which one. If symptoms are present after a year of abx, it's time to take a closer look for other causes - heavy metals, chemicals, etc.

I am not living in a dream world. It is reality.
Most people that have treated Lyme with years of abx, do no longer have Lyme that would cause problems to any great extent - it's time to look elsewhere.

Take care.

My experience and that of many of my friends!

[ 12. May 2006, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: GiGi ]

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi and Scott are right on about this subject.

I know six people in the last 9 years that died from cancer...very scary.

Even my daughter whose 9 and has no fillings likely has mercury in her system. I do give my daughter Chlorella but haven't tried garlic for her.

GiGi how much garlic is safe for a nine year old who weighs 53 lbs?

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

At the ACAM Dallas Lyme conference, one doctor said that it takes 15 years of chelating to get the lead out of the bones. If you stop, the lead in the bones comes out and goes right back into the organs where the shorter-term chelation may have previously started to remove. It is something we just have to keep on doing if we have any hope of keeping the levels down.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

sarahinnewyork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahinnewyork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking a clove of organic garlic every night.
I dice it into small pieces and let it sit to the air for about 5 minutes- so that the allinin changes to allicin ( as I understand it)

I swallow them like tiny pills followed by a few spoonfuls of plain yogurt to protect my stomach-

I also take freeze dried garlic with my vitamins during the day- but feel that I am covering my bases getting some raw every day!

hope- Sarah

Posts: 119 | From new york, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothergoose650
Member # 8962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mothergoose650     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is fresh garlic hard on your stomach? Is the frozen more tolerable? How about garlic pills they sell at health stores. Do they help at all?

I don't think I can get Greg to take garlic, but I can always give him another pill!!!
Thanks,
Kathy,
as always [confused]

Posts: 64 | From MA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would imagine there are conflicting ideas on HOW much is lost in the potency of ANY herbs that we take in "pill" form.

But I know I at least "feel" better knowing that at least I am doing SOMETHING to help my body, rather than just take in the junk food all the time.

Besides that, all this studying, talking, writing, etc., has made me more "aware" of my body and what is and is not good for it.

I have gotten into the habit of filling my own veggie capsules with powdered herbs; and not only do I not just waste my time while watching TV at night, but save a ton of money also. When you are taking OVER 2500 pills a month, it can get very expensive, even at the low price of herb pills.

Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement