LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone else contract Lyme in So. California?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone else contract Lyme in So. California?
badtick33
Member # 9078

Icon 3 posted      Profile for badtick33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been sick for 4 years and currently live in Boston. I started feeling sick when I lived in CA - I was on a horse farm and everyone (cats, dogs, horses) had ticks. The ticks had ticks.

I am trying to figure out if there should be a different abx protocol for a lyme strain from Ca versus a lyme strain from MA.

If there are any west coast lymies out there - What are you on???

thanks!

Posts: 58 | From boston | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry that I can't help you but I have a friend who is from southern CA and she has been ill for over 16 years with so many lyme symptoms. She does not believe that lyme is in southern CA; she will accept that it is in northern CA but she says southern is too hot/dry for ticks. She is from the Riverside area.

CALDA has so much information I would think you could contact them.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bitten by the tick in San Diego over three years ago.

It was not in the wilderness or on a trail. It was in a ritzy suburban neighborhood down the street from the Four Seasons Hotel.

The doctors in San Diego kept saying there is no Lyme Disease here. I have since been diagnosed with Lyme and multiple coinfections, see a Lyme doctor from northern California, and have met dozens upon dozens of Lyme patients in San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles.

The best place to post your question is the CaliforniaLyme group that is a yahoo group. Most of us are members or board members of the California Lyme Disease Association (CALDA). Or you can contact CALDA directly.

There is a ton of information about Lyme in California. While northern California has been a hotbed for tick-borne diseases, Southern California has emerged, too.

The only different test I would recommend is the Babesia WA-1 which is a west coast strain, however that is not the strain of Babesia I have.

The protocol is not different. All my Southern California and Northern California Lyme pals are on ILADS-type protocols.

In Southern California, the ticks usually come in on rodents and birds. That's how it is in my area. It does not have to be in a deer-populated area.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bit when I was looking at a vacant lot just off the Arroyo Seco in Pasadena (the wash that leads up to the Rose Bowl.) My Drs kept insisting that Lyme didn't exist in Southern California, but we have a lot of deer in the foothill areas. I've even seen deer in the hilly areas of Beverly Hills.

I'm also being treated by a Dr. in northern California, since I couldn't find any LLMD in So Calif w/an open practice.

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi bad tick

i was in sou cal in 2005 for 9 months
got lymes in ventura county

as per rumor from my llmd
there are about 30 people in that county- that he has treated for lyme disease.

as the disease emerges, we are seeing more areas
becoming hot tick tick spots

Lyme is now a reportable diseas in CA
i wonder - where are these numbers posted
mag
mag

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi bad tick,

I got bit (and sick with Lyme) in San Diego county in 1988. Our low income apt property was infested with mice and we lived just a mile from a lake (lots of birds around).

I had the best results so far from Bicillin injections. But recently it was discovered I also have Babesia, the WA-1 strain.

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badtick33
Member # 9078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badtick33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tabby,

Did you get a test just for WA-1 babs strain or is the test for babs in general? Oh, and what is the test called? is it a western blot?

Posts: 58 | From boston | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi-Retired
Member # 7722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi-Retired         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Huh? I thought Lyme was just an East Coast "thing"" Exact quote by surgeon as he was prepping me to insert PICC line.

I resisted the sarcastic/biting reply cuz he had a big needle and I wasn't about to pis^ him off. As it turns out he hit a nerve anyway and it ran down to my funny bone. Ouch!

Yes, LD is very common in CA. The Malibu Mountains are riddled with ticks.

I don't know if I got bit or where but my tests do indicate I was exposed to it and I live in suburbia but often used to mountain bike etc.

Badtick: To answer your question about Wa1: Test is done through Igenex and they send it out to another lab. Antibody test, but I believe they can also do a PCR, check their website.

Tim

Posts: 52 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

Tim that was funny--

Yep- lyme ect seems to be all over Cali-
Many folks on LN from CA -

With how things are today-
No reason I can see that its not
everywhere--

Travel is so quick and easy now
people -packages- pets-farm animals ect.-

I saw a show on the migration
of life --
I think this one test was in
SF CA. and 95% of the species
they found in the bay where Forgen-Ouch-

Here in Austin the river is over grown
with a weed that comes from fish tanks-
I think --We call it duck weed --

We have to mow the river--
Im not kidding--

Doctors dont think Lyme is in Austin --
I got it here For Sure --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by badtick33:
Hi Tabby,

Did you get a test just for WA-1 babs strain or is the test for babs in general? Oh, and what is the test called? is it a western blot?

Yes, as Tim said, it is a test that specifically looks for the WA-1 strain through IGeneX labs: two tests were ordered 1) "Babesiosis WA-1 Antibody IgG/IgM", and 2) "WA-1 PCR".

My blood was drawn at the docs office, sent to IGeneX, then IGeneX sent it to "County of Sonoma Department of Health Services" Santa Rosa, Calif. for processing.

My WA-1 PCR came back negative but the WA-1 antibody came back positive.

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement