LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why is Plaquenil Prescribed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is Plaquenil Prescribed?
luke339
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luke339     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know?

[ 11. May 2006, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: luke339 ]

Posts: 167 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It changes the acidity in cells allowing for greater antibiotic penetration.

That's as I understand it...but someone may correct me.

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tjtighe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjtighe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it is an anti-malarial med as is Mepron.

--------------------
tj

Posts: 296 | From Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lesley1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lesley1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. J (CT) prescribed it for my daughter because her positive 31 and 34 bands on the Western Blot as well as her HLA-DR2 positive genotype put her at greater risk of an autoimmune reaction to Lyme. Plaquenil is an immune suppressant, which is why it's given to people with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus (I think).
Posts: 164 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. With abx like Biaxin for better abx penetration

2. As part of Babesia treatment because of anti-malarial activities, although some doctors believe it is not effective here.

3. To relieve arthritic symptoms. It's not known why, but plaquenil releives sympoms in people with RA and Lupus.

I first started plaquenil with Biaxin and stayed on because it really reduces stiffnes and pain in my hands. If I stop taking it, stiffness comes back in 48 hours.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was also told it changes the pH (acid/alkaline)to help antibiotics penetrate better.

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedesign
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedesign     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lesley1954

Dr. J (ct) also prescriped it for my daughter (9) because she is HLA-DR4 positive. She took it for three days and had to stop due to severe stomach cramps and diarrhea. She was supposed to take 100 mg morning and night. Does your daughter have trouble with it?? It makes me wonder if she was herxing or if it was a side effect of the drug. Severe Stomach cramping is listed as a side effect.

Posts: 263 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lesley1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lesley1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymedesign,
Plaquenil made her very nauseous for the first week or so. She took Zantac several times a day and then she was OK. She didn't have diarrhea. Thankfully, she has had few GI problems throughout her 9-1/2 months of abx -- both IV and oral. I think her early nausea was a side effect of the medication, not a herx. Maybe you could try starting your daughter on 50 mg/day and slowly ramp up from there?
Lesley

Posts: 164 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luke339
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luke339     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the answers everyone.
Posts: 167 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, plaquenil is not a malaria drug. It can be taken to prevent catching malaria, although it's one of the weakest drugs on the market for this purpose, and it does not cure malaria.

It used to be prescribed in conjunction with macrolides to alter the pH of cells. There is now an advanced-generation macrolide on the market called ketek, which makes plaquenil unnecessary.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on 400mg per day because I have the band 31 and the DR4 gene. I have already gotten my eyes checked, was told by the eye doc that I need to do it once a yr.

She has a patient that has been on it for RA, 15 yrs with no eye problems.
My friend couldn't take it because it caused terrible ringing in her ears. I also have ringing (going on 30yrs) but the plaq didn't make it worse

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Lord. reading this thread makes me wonder.

Why is it prescribed?

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Littlesprout:
I am on 400mg per day because I have the band 31 and the DR4 gene. I have already gotten my eyes checked, was told by the eye doc that I need to do it once a yr.

I thought eye exams were supposed to be every six months when on plaquenil? Anyone else here this?

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, eye exams every six months are recommended. I did that when I was on Plaquenil.

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luke339
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8580

How do i know i have an over active immune response? What if supressing my immune system is a bad thing in this case wouldn't that be a bad thing? Like taking steroids?
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Plaquenil, and thought I was going to die from it. I could not figure out what was going on with it, I did not know if it was a good thing or not,

I thought it was a herx, but when my herpes
canker sores started to come out, I then knew
I was headed for trouble. I then thought
if I did not stop it, I would die.

It was supressing my immmune system I believe.

I was taking plaquenil with minocycline.
I then stopped the plaqeunil and added in flagyl and within a week, my immune was better, herpes was starting to go leave, my mouth.

I was then treated for babesia.

I read on here that if one has a coinfection,
plauenil could make things worse.
I was SO ill on it, I cannot state enough how ill it made me, it was like the feeling when I was OFF antibiotics and the lyme/babesia was coming back, a horrid nightmare.

I am quite sure this is what was going on, because I stuck with the plaqeunil even cut back dosage, but still did not get better, got worse, and the fact that herpes came out, that let me know.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement