LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » alcohol makes me feel weird, help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: alcohol makes me feel weird, help!
pru
Member # 9070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, first off happy mother's day to all mommies here.

so I am not a big drinker at all but i enjoy my occasional glass of cabernet...

i do not have a lyme dx yet but i am awaiting igeneX results.

when i drink alcohol (last night i had about 2 or 3 glasses of wine) i notice my symptoms get worse.

i get heart palpatations, my eyes get blinky and spastic, i get a bad headache and a lot of tingling. when i was laying down to go to sleep i was having muscle spasms and i was jerking a bit, i was also wide awake.

it felt like a herx, the way i felt last month when i took a zpack for strep.

is this common, i remember reading alcohol worsens the sx of lyme...

thanks,
michelle

Posts: 55 | From portland, or, | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Michelle, from another Michelle! Now there's at least three of us on here!

Consider your drinking days -- if not over -- then mighty darned abbreviated.

Boy, do I miss 'em, too.

Even drinking one freaking glass of Chardonnay gives me an actual hung over feeling. Three would probably kill me.

I settle for a coupla inches of wine in my favorite wine glass. Thassa 'bout all I can tolerate.

Don't know why this is so, but it is.

Pity.

[Frown]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me alcohol brings on a sudden heat wave inside my body. This usually happens around my face and it feels like i have a fever. I also get more spaced out.

I have never experienced a bad hangover though (like the ones i read on the forums, they sound scary), even after 12 shots of tequilla i was fine the next day. I'm never doing that again though since i know i have this.
Really bizzare how lyme disease affects people in so many different and unique ways.

Posts: 170 | From Vancouver | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO ALCOHOL, PERIOD.

Sorry, but it is really, really not a good idea to drink alcohol when infected with lyme.

It will make a bad situation worse.

If you want to know how, I will pull a file.

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michelle,

People have varying abilities to tolerate alcohol with Lyme.

I was undiagnosed for 17 years. Considering I was infected at age 12 and diagnosed at 29, I had many a drink while infected with Lyme and didn't have a bad reaction. My tolerance was always low, but two tylenol put me to sleep. My mom is the same way, so it's genetics not lyme.

But I do think it is a good thing to stay off alcohol while in treatment. We just don't need to add any more toxins to our bodies.

I probably have pancreatitis. We don't know the cause, but my LLMD has had a few patients who had babesia get pancreatitis.

I'm off all alcohol and vinegar now to protect my pancreas. Plus I'm now on Flagyl which you really can't mix with alcohol. I never drank a lot. I'd maybe have 2 drinks every other week.

Basically, my story is that you don't know what this disease will do to you. But it can impact your organs and alcohol doesn't help in that process.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly alcohol is poison to our bodies. think about it they are over taxed as it is trying to fight this thing...or should i say multiple infections.

Before i knew i had lyme, my symptom was dizziness...so i was on vacation had a tiny 7oz of beer....and i felt my dizziness increase. I thought the beer would relax me,instead it made me worse. This happend twice.

I then felt drunk everyday, with dizziness and sensitivity to light......i never want to drink again really, i think i would freak out if the dizziness came back.

i miss hanging out with my friends and enjoying a few drinks.

also dont forget that many abx cannot be taken with alcohol.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had a glass of wine in three years.

It made my symptoms worse. Now I don't even miss it anymore. Same with sugar.

Another reason to not drink, is when you drink, your liver is busy working hard to processing the alochol and not freed up to process the toxins in your body.

All LLMD'S say no alcohol,caffine and sugar. It seems like a big sacrifice at first,but after a while you would be surprised at how easy it becomes.

Take care

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See? Everyone is different.

I am in so much pain every day but if I have a couple of glasses of wine, I feel better. I guess I just don't feel the pain anymore.

I also don't get hangovers at all. Instead, I get a few hours of not even thinking about lyme...

Go figure? Besides, if I can have just an hour or two of not feeling the badness, it is good.

But that's just me. [Smile]

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I had any alchol was at a wedding in 2000....

The alchol does not make me feel worse

but my poor liver (and the rest of my system) has enough to deal with

Do I miss it - No not at all... small sacrifice when you look at the big picture.

My advice would be to stop drinking alchol - I know you are not in treatment right now so you dont have so much toxic stuff to deal with but

its making you sicker.

Someday we will all be better and can have a glass of *insert favorite alcholic beverage here* to celebrate [Big Grin]

Best wishes [Smile]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alcohol doesn't bother me. It used to.

Its sad for me to say that one of the vices used to determine how well I had gotten, was to get drunk... plus, I felt like it.

I deserved it.

But thats not to say go ahead and drink. In time, you may be able to enjoy that again.

--------------------
You want your life back? Take it.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LostCityAgent
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pru,
Have you had MRIS of the brain/spine? If so, what were the conclusions.
With alochol intoxification I get leg weakness, and am at a higher risk for calve spasms.

Jmcc.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

I am wondering IF I too am getting well.

I used to drink a lot as a teenager, but was becoming an alcoholic, so gave it up for many years.

But then I started to have a few drinks a year. But quit drinking altogether last fall when I started treating seriously for Lyme, as I heard here that you shouldn't drink.

My wife bought me a 12 pack many months ago, but I didn't touch it till about two weeks ago, and have had a beer occasionally when I had Pizza for supper, and while I was scared at first, I had absolutely NO reactions to it.

I started cutting my herbal intake down yesterday too. I backed off one pill, three times a day, of each of the multiple pills that I take, and will see HOW it goes.

I THOUGHT I was taking 83 or 84 pills a day, plus tinctures and C-Salts; but I just counted them all and it was 89 a day. NOW I am down to 71.

I STILL eat way too much sugar. BUT have been off Caffiene for years.

Jim [Cool]

duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I also don't get hangovers at all. Instead, I get a few hours of not even thinking about lyme...

Ditto

I am with tothepoorhouse, a couple of glasses of wine every now and then isn't going to hurt you. Unless you are one of the people who get bad exaggerated hangovers from a few drinks. Matter of fact, their are some benefits for your heart and circulation drinking red wine. Just ask the Europeans. My friends Italian father is almost 90 and I swear he looks 65 and gets around like he is 55. Walking 18 holes of golf 4 times a week. He says his secret 2 glasses of chianti everyday. The key is everything in moderation.

Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a choice, I can't drink ANY alcohol or I get REALLY sick feeling. I know my bad reaction to alcohol is lyme related because I never got sick from alcohol before lyme.

I have never been a big drinker, but I got sick when I was 26 and alcohol never bothered me before lyme.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pru
Member # 9070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies...

lostcityagent,

i had an mri of brain and cpine in feb because i suspected ms. when i drank wine the other night i became very spastic, i was laying in bed and my body would go through a jerky movement. my heart also has weird palpatations. and my head pulsates. all of these symptoms also happen when i am on zithromax. i cannot wait for that igeneX test to come back!

Posts: 55 | From portland, or, | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pru
Member # 9070

Thanks for all the replies...

lostcityagent,

i had an mri of brain and cpine in feb because i suspected ms. mris were both normal. when i drank wine the other night i became very spastic, i was laying in bed and my body would go through a jerky movement. my heart also has weird palpatations. and my head pulsates. i also get very air hungry. all of these symptoms also happen when i am on zithromax. i cannot wait for that igeneX test to come back!

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are not supposed to drink any alcohol when you have Lyme disease. It's asking for trouble!
Carol B
Unregistered

with or without lyme I cannot drink alcohol-I break out in Bad Behavior !

Busted in Balto,
Carol

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement