LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » NEW Test Detects Lyme in 8 Minutes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEW Test Detects Lyme in 8 Minutes
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got this from LymeInfo
Jim [Cool]
###

"In about eight minutes doctors can get a result, prior to this test
it would take days to diagnose."

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=4896324&nav=3YeX

WTNH-TV - Channel 8 News
New Haven, CT
May 12, 2006

A new test for Lyme disease in your pets

(WTNH, May 12, 2006 Updated 12:52 PM ) _ This may be the rainy
season, but it's also the beginning of tick season. And here in
Connecticut experts are warning the public to be pro-active about
Lyme disease, which also means taking care of your pets.

by News Channel 8's Jodi Latina

The test is called 3Dx -- it tests for Lyme disease, heartworm and
canine ehrlichiosis -- and it's saving lives.

Five-year-old Max Ainsworth, a shepherd-pit bull mix is being tested
for Lyme disease.

"Your dog is 50 percent more likely to get it than you are."

West Haven veterinarian Dr. Ralph Padilla says for the last year he
has relied on the 3Dx test to tell whether a dog has been infected
by a deer tick.

"We're finding more and more dogs have Lyme disease and clients are
unaware of it," says Dr. Padilla.

He says symptoms in animals include lameness, fever and joint
swelling.

In about eight minutes doctors can get a result, prior to this test
it would take days to diagnose.

"In the past 30 days we've had 30 cases -- a case a day -- it's
quite remarkable," says Dr. Padilla.

Although vets can diagnose a dog within minutes, researchers still
struggle to definitively tell whether humans have the disease.

Today, experts on Lyme disease are at the University of New Haven
talking about just that.

"You can have all the early symptoms and still have a negative
test," says Dr. Kirby Stafford, CT Agriculture Station.

He's Connecticut's tick expert and says until researchers come up
with better tests the best bet for people is prevention.

Back at the animal clinic, Max Ainsworth's test is positive. He'll
be prescribed antibiotics and come back for a follow up.

Your pet can get the trademark bullseye rash but it's hard to see
because of their fur.

The newest test, 4Dx, was approved just this past Wednesday. It will
test for Lyme disease, heartworm, ehrlichiosis, and anaplasma, which
is another infection caused by deer ticks. Tests can cost as much as
$45.

Cats can be infected with Lyme disease, but whether they actually
get sick is up for debate.
=====
Online Feedback Form:
http://www.wtnh.com/Global/category.asp?C=1199&nav=menu29_14

****TOIL for Lyme****
T = Teach tolerance
0 = Overcome ignorance
I = Initiate insurance reform
L = Labor for Lyme literacy/advocacy

===
The mission of LymeInfo is to keep you informed of issues that might be of interest to Lyme disease patients. Postings are not meant to imply that we agree with the content of all items we distribute.

For Lyme information, see:
http://www.LymeInfo.net

Please tell others how to subscribe to this group:
[email protected]

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LymeInfo/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email protected]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4dx its all for dogs

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So why can't this test or some modification of it be used on humans?

Patti

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluetick
Member # 8467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bluetick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The K-9 4DX is similar to the K-9 3DX, it is an Elisa test, and we all know how reliable those are...
Posts: 98 | From MA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luke339
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luke339     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elisa test sucks.....we need something fast and easy and 95% reliable.
Posts: 167 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by psano:

I think it's because they don't care as much about humans as they do about pets!! [Wink]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
quote:
Originally posted by psano:

I think it's because they don't care as much about humans as they do about pets!! [Wink]
[Big Grin]
Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For many years, my vet has been using the SNAP or 3Dx test to check for heartworm. The last 4 years, the test has also included Lyme and Erlichiosis.

Many dogs test positive for Lyme with no apparent symptoms. In our area, it is very common for dogs to test positive. I have 3 dogs and only the puppy was neg. the other 2 had no symptoms.

One of my dogs had been treated for Lyme twice.

It would be nice if they could use it for humans, but then the insurance companies would have no excuse to not pay for the needed drugs. The other issue with the test is that a lot of dogs who have been treated for lyme continue to come up positive on the test even if they appear cured of their symptoms.

My Lyme dog has not had symptoms now for over 3 years, but she still tests positive for Lyme.

Posts: 175 | From ma. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IsThereHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IsThereHope         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya, the problem is the cure takes a lifetime ...
Posts: 121 | From Memphis, TN | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my vet did our dogs spring shots this year she said the tests were all neg for lyme in our dogs (she ran the test while we waited).

I just stared at her and thought "yeah right! there is no such test for lyme that can give you the results in minutes."

Maybe I was wrong. Why can't my vet test me?

This is like the West Nile vaccine for horses. Don't have one for dogs or humans. How come horses have one and have had it for years now?

Many in the horse world do not trust the West Nile vaccine. Should we trust the doggie lyme test?

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, the question is not wether or not to trust the dog Snap test. It can only tell you if the dog has been exposed to Lyme not that they have the disease. The symptoms tell you that just like with people.

The problem is developing a vaccine. Vaccines are not big money makers like drugs for impotency and when they go wrong, the consequences are a lot bigger than with a dog having a bad reaction.

Still, it would be really interesting to see if the Snap test worked for detecting Lyme in people and the Heartworm and Erlichiosis are in there too!

Posts: 175 | From ma. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding is that dogs are easier to dx and easier to treat for Lyme. My older one has tested positive for the past three years. She's been treated, and seemed fine.

Every year about this time she gets a bit droopy, but she is not showing any of the classic signs of Lyme in dogs like joint pain, or swelling. She still comes up and down the stairs and runs after my 1 1/2 year old dog, who tested negative.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement