LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Acute Transverse Myelitis.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Acute Transverse Myelitis.
LostCityAgent
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friends,
I was just thinking to remind you that LD can cause an ACUTE TRANSVERSE MYELITIS. This is how my situation was uncovered.
You may want to visit myelitis.org and have a look see at the situation. This is very important for all of us to know. It seems that ATM is the usual route for this problem turning neurological.

Jmcc.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickitout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked out that site and all I can say is "WOW". There is so much info. I can relate to and found it very interesting.

What I read really hit home. I also checked out some of the messages from people.

I need to ask my dr. about this. I was diagnosed with lyme myelitis but never questioned what it was.

You know when there are so many systems involved you tend to overlook things because there is just so much you can deal with at one time.

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 139 | From nj | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LCA,
thanks for addressing this.

this is one topic i don't recall being addressed, if at all.

http://www.mucos.de did a study on myelitis, utilizing one, or more kinds of multi-enzyme formulations for this, with at least very good to excellent results.

[ 21. May 2006, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: pq ]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LostCityAgent
Unregistered

Yes it is extremely important since it can debilitate you for the rest of your life.
snowflake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowflake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remembered someone else here asking about this in the past. Here is the thread...

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042522#000000

--------------------
We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late.

Posts: 221 | From the hills | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the hopkins article at the website www.myelitis.org they exclude infectious causes from the group they are studying as TM, and call those infectious myelitis instead. I wonder what the differences in presentation would be? Guess I will have to read the whole long article some time looking for the answer.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
t what there exclusion criteria are.

How do they exclude lyme??

Table 2. TM Diagnostic Criteria
Inclusion criteria

1. Development of sensory, motor or autonomic dysfunction attributable to the spinal cord
2. Bilateral signs and/or symptoms
3. Clearly-defined sensory level
4. Inflammation within the spinal cord demonstrated by CSF pleocytosis or elevated IgG index or gadolinium
enhancement {If none of the inflammatory criteria is met at symptom onset, repeat MRI and LP evaluation between
2-7 days following symptom onset}

Exclusion criteria
1. History of previous radiation to the spine within the past 10 years
2. Clear arterial distribution clinical deficit consistent with thrombosis of the anterior spinal artery
3. Extra-axial compressive etiology by neuroimaging {MRI of spine preferred. CT myelography acceptable. X-ray, CT
of spine are not adequate}
4. Abnormal flow voids on the surface of the spinal cord c/w AVM
5. Serologic or clinical evidence of connective tissue disease {sarcoidosis, Behcet's disease, Sjogren's syndrome, SLE,
mixed connective tissue disorder etc} {Diagnostic of Connective-Tissue Associated TM}

6. History of clinically apparent optic neuritis {Diagnostic of Neuromyelitis optica}
7. CNS manifestations of syphilis, Lyme disease, HIV, HTLV-1, mycoplasma, other viral infection {e.g. HSV-1, HSV-
2, VZV, EBV, CMV, HHV-6, enteroviruses} {Diagnostic of Infectious myelitis }

8. Progression to nadir in less than 4 hours from symptom onset
9. Symptom progression continues beyond 21 days from symptom onset
10. Brain and spinal cord MRI abnormalities suggestive of MS and presence of oligoclonal bands in CSF {Suggestive of
TM associated with MS. Apply McDonald criteria to definitively define MS}
AVM= arteriovenous malformation; SLE= systemic lupus erythematosus; HTLV-1= human T-cell lymphotropic virus-1; HSV=
herpes simplex virus; VZV= varicella zoster virus; EBV=Epstein-Barr virus; CMV= cytomegalovirus; HHV= human herpes

Heres there excusion technics:

Detection of lyme disease of the CNS typically is
based on antibody detection methods {ELISA with
confirmatory western blot} and the CSF/serum index is often
helpful in determining whether there is true neuroborreliosis

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
History of acute transverse myelitis
Several cases of `acute myelitis' were described in 1882,
and pathological analysis revealed that some were caused
by vascular lesions and others by acute in�ammation
{1,2}. In 1922 and 1923, physicians in England and
Holland became aware of a rare complication of smallpox
vaccination: inflammation of the spinal cord and brain
{3}. Given the term `post-vaccinal encephalomyelitis',
over 200 cases were reported in those 2 years alone.
Pathological analyses of fatal cases revealed in�ammatory
cells and demyelination. In 1928, it was first
postulated that many cases of acute myelitis are `postinfectious
rather than infectious in cause' because for
many patients the `fever had fallen and the rash had
begun to fade'
{{ah ever present the rash interesting}}} when the myelitis symptoms began {4}. It
was proposed, therefore, that the myelitis was an
`allergic' response to a virus rather than the virus itself
that caused the spinal cord damage. It was in 1948 that
the term `acute transverse myelitis' was utilized in
reporting a case of fulminant inflammatory myelopathy
complicating pneumonia {5}.
From 4th Artical:

http://www.myelitis.org/Immunopathogenesis%20paper.pdf

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparky
Unregistered

Meningo-encephalomyelitis (sp.?) is associated with Lyme Disease, right? It took over a year for me to figure that out by reading medical journal citations here on LymeNet, then found out it's written of in 'Lyme Disease--Everything you Wanted to Know...' by Karen Forschner.

So would that simply be chronic vs. acute?

LostCityAgent
Unregistered

Good morning,
I have read over all of your posts. I can tell you that it is known/accepted in the widespread neurological community of physicians and researches that LD, syphilis, MS, et al. are commonly responsible for Acute Transverse Myelitis.
I have read nothing at John's Hopkins but I can tell you that it is a fact that LD can be an underlying cause for ATM.
My supposed attack with ATM was mild in comparison to those left in wheel chairs and on venelators.

Jmcc.

Sparky
Unregistered

http://www2.lymenet.org/domino/abstract.nsf/0/276f843ac2f2e3628525660f00001244?OpenDocument

Just one example referring to (chronic) meningoencephalomyelitis.

I would like to hear of those here who experienced acute phase. Recall one person writing that they lost use of their legs quickly over 3 days.

Suppose people could write all sorts of things, but it does seem believable.

LostCityAgent
Unregistered

Sparky,
It seems that this presents itself in an imitation of ATM?
I ask this because I had the onset symptoms of ATM but when I just had a t-spine MRI nothing showed up, potentially also to my body habitus.

Jmcc.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement