LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » New Lyme Vaccine! Anyone trust this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Lyme Vaccine! Anyone trust this?
klutzo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oral vaccine reduces Borrelia burgdorferi carriage and protects against Lyme disease

2006 MAY 24 -- Researchers have developed an oral vaccine that reduces carriage of Borrelia burgdorferi in mice and protects against Lyme disease.

"Lyme disease is caused by the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi, which is transmitted through the bite of infected Ixodes ticks. Vaccination of mice with outer surface protein A (OspA) of B. burgdoiferi has been shown to both protect mice against B. burgdorferi infection and reduce carriage of the organism in feeding ticks. Here we report the development of a murine-targeted OspA vaccine utilizing vaccinia virus to interrupt transmission of disease in the reservoir hosts, thus reducing incidence of human disease," scientists writing in the journal Vaccine report.

"Oral vaccination of mice with a single dose of Vaccinia expressing OspA resulted in high antibody titers to OspA, 100% protection of vaccinated mice from infection with B. burgdorferi, and significant clearance of B. burgdorferi from infected ticks fed on vaccinated animals," said Mark R. Scheckelhoff and colleagues, Tufts University. "The results indicate the vaccine is effective and may provide a manner to reduce incidence of Lyme disease."

Scheckelhoff and his coauthors published their study in Vaccine (Protective efficacy of an oral vaccine to reduce carriage of Borrelia burgdorferi (Strain N40) in mouse and tick reservoirs. Vaccine, 2006;24(11):1949-1957).

Additional information can be obtained by contacting Linden T. Hu, Tufts-New England Medical Center, Tupper Research Institute, Division of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Box 41, 750 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA. E-mail: [email protected].

The publisher of the journal Vaccine can be contacted at: Elsevier Science Ltd., The Boulevard, Langford Lane, Kidlington, Oxford OX5 1GB, Oxon, England.

Keywords: Boston, Massachusetts, United States, Lyme Disease Vaccine, Vaccine Development, Vaccine Efficacy, Borrelia Burgdorferi, Tick-Borne Disease, Immunology, Immunotherapy, Proteomics.

This article was prepared by Vaccine Weekly editors from staff and other reports. Copyright 2006, Vaccine Weekly via NewsRx.com.

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this a vaccination thats eventually going to be used for humans?
I dont trust it... we aint mice.

--------------------
You want your life back? Take it.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dzeb
Member # 4426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dzeb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice, DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!!!
I had the first vaccine that was pulled off the market for "decline" in sales. The real reason was because it was not safe for humans. Nearly cost me my eyesight.
I would not trust it. The first one failed so what make this one any better?

Posts: 75 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the fact that McSweegan is pushing it so hard makes me extremely suspicious of it.

'Birds of a feather...'

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOPE!!! not ME!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this is interesting. First off, NO, I don't trust it. It sounds like they are claiming to do essentially the same thing as Lymerix was purported to do... and we all know how that turned out!

BUT -- perhaps the monetary interests in this vaccine help explain some of the misinformation about lyme. After all, why would anyone waste their time developing yet another vaccine for this "hard to catch, easy to cure" disease???

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your responses.
Yeah, that's about what I figured. It's too bad, since it would have saved so many people from going through what we are going through.

The article was sent to me with excitement, by someone who does not have Lyme and would probably never believe what goes on with the politics of this disease. Heck, I wouldn't believe it either, if I hadn't lived it.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klutzo --

I totally agree -- I would never, ever have believed all the political stuff if I wasn't mired in it myself. It defies all logic.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't trust ANY vaccines. [shake]

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
????? If the first vaccine was taken off the market for lack of sales then why are they spending lots of time and money developing a new one?????

Sure, Ill try it in 20 years after 20 billion people have taken it with ONLY successful outcome.

Im at this site cuz I had the first series of 3 lymerix vaccines, STUPID!!!!

Ive learned from my mistakes. Dont trust any new vaccine

Posts: 561 | From connecticut | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IsThereHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IsThereHope         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we know that it won't be necessary for folks in Oregon, and Washington, and Idaho and all those other states cause they just sent out a memo that says their ticks are good ticks and don't carry Lyme (sarcasm)
Posts: 121 | From Memphis, TN | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMEN! Robi.

I won't get ANY vaccine and neither will my kids!

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Is There Hope,
I can't believe they are still pulling that s*it! They still say that here in Florida too, despite the CDC maps to the contrary.

I always imagine a deer running through the woods, suddenly screeching to a halt and bellowing: "All you Borrelia infected ticks, this is where you get off. That's the Florida state line sign over there, and everyone knows there isn't any Lyme in Florida".

How absurd can you be? But this is nothing new..... This is the same government that had us kneeling under our school desks as children,for "duck and cover" exercises, with our hands over our heads, to protect us from a nuclear attack!

Klutzo

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would never get the lyme vaccine. And would advise freinds and family to avoid it also.

enemies is another story ...heh heh

I am sick enough already. [bonk]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 13 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no. i would not get it.
see what kathleen m. dickson has published on lymerix, spirochetes of several kinds in general, and, i think, an interpretive comment on this new vaccine.

http://www.actionlyme.org

you should find a link to it in the left hand column of her home page, and probably else where, as well.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement