LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IM bicillin Shots Needed, How do I get them?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IM bicillin Shots Needed, How do I get them?
luke339
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luke339     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know of a place to get these shots? I only have three left. I need at least 12 more. Any ideas? 1.2 million. Thanks.
Posts: 167 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 2.4 million units is much easier to get. Like you, I'm on the 1.2 million units and running out.

But when I checked with Costco and Sav-On in Southern California, they said they could get the 2.4 million units.

If you can get that dosage, talk to your LLMD about how to sanitarily split the dosage, or take them to a compounding pharmacy to split under sterile conditions.

I need to go through this very soon to try to get more, so I'll let you know if I'm successful.

I got one box by writing a pleading letter to the manufacturer and had to coordinate with a retail pharmacy and their wholesaler/distributor to get them to all work together.

I've had to pay full cash price for it - my insurance won't pay a dime.

I'm going to ask my LLMD for a prescription for the 2.4 million units next time and have the dosages split, because I don't think I can go through the months of stress again of trying to get the 1.2 million units.

Some northern California Lyme patients have been able to get it at Safeway's pharmacy, but when I checked with Von's - which is owned by the same company - they said they can't get it because they use different wholesalers.

Some people have better luck getting it through a hospital's pharmacy, but the medical clinic I go to can't get it, so I have to bring my own to their nurse to then inject me.

Good luck!
Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is possible that things have changed, but...

A year ago, I spent a lot of time researching this for my doc. Ultimately, King Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturer, told me that if a pharmacy did not have Bicillin L-A in stock, and their wholesaler did not have it, to have the pharmacist instruct the wholesaler to call King, tell them it is needed for an emergency (and King confirmed that Lyme is deemed an "emergency"), and that King would ship.

I am traveling, but my pharmacy was in the process of doing this for me. Before leaving, the pharmacist confirmed that this was in the works, and it just remained to be seen whether King drop shipped to them, or shipped via the wholesaler.

Could be a whole nother ball of wax by the time I get back, but here's hoping.

Anyway, give these instructions to your pharmacist and see what happens.

--------------------
Suzanne Shaps
STAND UP FOR LYME Texas (www.standupforlyme.org)
(Please email all correspondence related to protecting Texas LLMDs to [email protected] with copy to [email protected])

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do what tickedntx suggested....have your pharmacy contact King Pharmacy and tell them you have lyme and you NEED the bicillin.

They should get it to you.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently had trouble finding this. I went to a small privately owned pharmacy and they were able to get a 3 month supply. Try the small pharmacies. They tend to look for it at more than one distributor.
Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ms. Myoclonus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Myoclonus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I agree with what everyone above said. I have had sucess through a locally owned pharmacy. Sometimes when I call they are unable to get it, but then I keep calling back and the whole saler may have a surprise shipment that day. (I have been told flat out they were unable to get it indefinitely and then called the next day and it was available.)

I have established a relationship with a pharmacist who understands the shortage and will call me when it comes in. Knowing someone at the pharmacy on a first name basis is very helpful as it is not so easy to get dismissed this way.

Good luck.

Ms. Myo

--------------------
 -

Posts: 122 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement