LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » SIGNS for Friday's RALLY

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SIGNS for Friday's RALLY
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some ideas ---

Some suggestions I've heard are:

"We Will Not Go Away" -- or a two
part sign that says:

"We Won't Lose Our Lives in
Silence" and "We Will Not Go Away."

One on each side, making it reversable [Big Grin]

ANOTHER GREAT IDEA:

VERY Large Green Hands on the ends of Dowels, sp they reach high above the crowd -- which say:

"Do Not Touch My Lyme Doctor"/"Do Not Touch Our Lyme Doctors,"

whichever is preferred

(Appahrently, this was very effective visually in a rally in France for racism, the signs read "Do not touch my friend")

I think it would be a great idea to have many of these hands, as well as the first idea --

and keep all the signs on the same message if we can..

Rather than a bunch of different ones.

Any input?

Mo

--------------------
life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage
-- anais nin

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol B
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about:

"What's in Your Body ?"

and on the reverse side-

"GOT Lyme Disease?"

I'm going to make a t-shirt with ticks crawling all over it that says on the front-

"Ticks-they're EVERYWHERE"

and on the back-

"Lyme Disease-it's EVERYWHERE,too."

Carol in MD.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant go - Im just to sick

this is probaly a dumb idea but i was thinking something like

our health our lives our choice

or you could just shorten it to include our health and one of the others.

or another -

Lyme patients (or We) have a RIGHT to health (or treatment or treatment and health)

or another -

I am Being saved by long term treatment
(or I am Being saved buy long term antibotics)
(could cut out I am if it didnt fit)

Have a good trip [Smile]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are good ideas..

I believe we should go for simple, with heavy impact.

The suggestions I put up top were from seasoned Lyme warriors off another list (not my ideas, I don't have any good ones yet [Razz] )

Azure Wish, I like:

"We have a right to health"

I have put an email to someone in touch with the rally organizers and a few of the ideas.

We might should wait a bit and see if they would prefer a unanimois message, or just a few statements repeated..
rather than a whole bunch of different ones.

I'll get back if I hear any input from them..

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ticks suck and then give you lyme disease
Posts: 293 | From healdsburg, ca , sonoma | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chainsaw joseph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joseph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Signs should say-allow treatment or prove the disease is gone after 4 weeks of antibiotics,one or the other.
Posts: 308 | From new bedford,Ma. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more I thought of

Undertreated lyme
disables and kills

or

undertreated lyme is
disabling a generation

or

undertreated lyme is
disabling a nation

or substitute whatever word you want for undertreated (undiagnosed etc.)

- just a thought

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant go either...im just not there yet. Still recovering from the bladder procedure.

But how about

End the pain & suffering

and on the other side support Lyme awareness more then painful joints

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best sign we can make -- is to BE THERE!
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rally Rally Rally!!!!
Yeah! Do you think we need soemthing to represent the sick people who couldn't come? I know at the Aids rallys they used shoes to represent each person who died from the disease and it really made an impact!

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about 'LYME DISEASE is NOT just thte YUPPIE FLU'

or 'Lyme Disease does NOT go away'

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not good at slogans, but what about something mentioning that Lyme is deadly enough that it is being studied for bio-terrorism. People would ask questions maybe.
Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol B
Unregistered

How about-

"TICKS suck the life out of you."

Maybe we could push empty wheelchairs for all those who are too sick to attend?

I've wondered about how those lyme green styrofoam pool noodles could be used-to wave in the air?, to hold banners ? to make us more visible? to represent those not there?

Carol

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
-- anais nin

cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Optimistick posted a great idea in genearl..making green hands....check it out.

Maybe you could put the names of those of us who are just too sick to go....just a thought.

I dont know how to link it or i would.

Im bummed im too sick to go. [Mad]

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's Optimistck's link,

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=015179

AWESOME !!!

I heard back from the Lyme organizer contact, and they think this is the way to go.

Thanks for making it easy!!

Put them on long dowels to hold up high..
(the only thing is the dowels cannot be taken inside the State buildings - so stay outside and walk around the building if need be, or take the stick off if you have to go in)

..and you can put the names of people who could not make it (including family) on the back!

Mo

Cantgiveupyet - recovering from surgery is definitely an acceptable reason not to go [Wink]

I hope you feel better soon, and you make a good cheerleader here - which is a big help.

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really bummed about not being able to get up there for this rally.

I'm hoping that someone will PLEASE put my name on their flag...at least that way, I'll be there in name and in spirit.

Thanks!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

up

--------------------
-- anais nin

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 3 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time is extremely limited.

Does ANYONE have a website you can make or go to that has a PRINTABLE sign (I have lime green 8 X 11 paper)I can just print out??????????????????

I like the ,"Undertreated Lyme is disabling a generation." because it can explain WHY we are there and help uneducated Lymies know a bit about what is going on?

Think. This message will be shown by the media to the public...

They should know Lyme is severely UNDERTREATED.

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sizzzzzz..
I have a pdf file herre that I cannot link online. Just email me.

Basically, it's just a big green hand (only the hand), with fingers closed together and thumb out - a jesture you might make when saying "STOP".
(detailed directions below)

I can email the pdf to anyone who wants it.

If anyone else has adobe capabilities to make an online link, please PM me.

MEANTIME Here's a list of details for Rally-goers!!

------------------------------------------------

PLUS -- see Tincups's "Lyme train" threads to hop on along the East coast -
and the threads from other areas and caravan/carpooling ventures!!

-------------------------------------------------

INSTRUCTIONS AND DETAILS

From Rally Organizers, local support groups:

To: The Lyme Community

(914) 474-2679 cell phone

Date: May 31, 2006

RE: LYME RIGHTS RALLY: Friday June 2nd , Hartford CT 12 to 3pm

Organized by Connecticut advocates and patients

SOME FINAL NOTES

1. Directions & Parking

2. Signs & Posters

3. Items to consider bringing with you

4. Agenda for day

5. Please call me anytime if you have questions, need help finding transportation or need to reserve a wheelchair.

1 DIRECTIONS & PARKING

� Your best bet for finding a parking spot is to park at the Legislative Office Building.

� If you have a handicap parking sign the Capitol building is more ideal.

� The rally is being held on the North Capitol Steps

Directions to the Legislative Office Building:

The Legislative Office Building is located at 300 Capitol Avenue, Hartford.

Traveling on I-84 East - Take Exit 48, Capitol Avenue, get into the right lane of the exit ramp.

At the end of the exit ramp turn right onto Capitol Avenue.

Take the first right past the Legislative Office Building, proceed to the back of the garage and take a right to enter the garage using the left hand lane (employees) or the right hand lane (visitors).

Traveling on I-84 West - Take Exit 48, Asylum Street,

At the end of the exit ramp turn right at the light onto Asylum Street.

At the YWCA turn left onto Broad Street, proceed through two stop lights, immediately after the Armory building take the first left and then another left at the end of the short access road.

Follow this road around the garage to the back and take a right to enter the garage using the left hand lane (employees) or the right hand lane (visitors).

Traveling on I-91 North or South - Take Exit 29A, Capitol Avenue, proceed through the Pulaski Circle at the end of the long exit road. Take a right on Elm Street and turn left at Trinity Street.

Go past the Capitol building and the I-84 entrance ramp, all on your right.

Take the first right past the Legislative Office Building, proceed to the back of the garage and take a right to enter the garage using the left hand lane (employees) or the right hand lane (visitors).

Parking - Limited public parking is available on the first floor of the parking garage. There is a connector to the Legislative Office Building on the third floor (this is also where there is a terrace walk to the Capitol building). On-street metered parking and commercial parking lots are also nearby.

Directions to the Connecticut State Capitol

The State Capitol building is located at 210 Capitol Avenue, Hartford.

Traveling on I-84 East - Take Exit 48, Capitol Avenue,

Get into the left lane of the exit ramp and follow the signs for Asylum Street.

At the end of the exit ramp turn right onto Asylum Street, continue bearing right until you come to Pulaski Circle and take another right onto Elm Street.

Follow Elm Street to the traffic light, at the traffic light proceed across Trinity Street directly onto the Capitol grounds.

Traveling on I-84 West - Take Exit 48, Asylum Street,

At the end of the exit ramp turn left at the light onto Asylum Street.

Get into the right lane and go under the railroad bridge.

Continue bearing right until you come to Pulaski Circle and take another right onto Elm Street.

Follow Elm Street to the traffic light, at the traffic light proceed across Trinity Street directly onto the Capitol grounds.

Traveling on I-91 North or South - Take Exit 29A, Capitol Avenue,

Follow the highway along to Pulaski Circle, go half way around the circle and exit to the right onto Elm St.

Parking - Limited public parking is available in the spaces immediately upon entering

the grounds. On-street metered parking and commercial parking lots are also nearby.

2 SIGNS & POSTERS

� Please consider bringing signs and/or posters.

� We have confirmation that signs can be attached to dowels or poles but they can NOT be brought into any of the buildings. This means you will have to walk around the building to get to the rally site. I have been told this is not too difficult to maneuver. Signs without the dowel or stick are just fine to walk through the buildings with.

� If possible make a few extra to share with others at the rally.

� Consider putting different sayings on both sides and covering them in plastic in case it rains.

Suggestions for signs:

1. Very large Green Hands - see attached pdf files for easy printing then cut the hand out. It was suggested you attach a dowel to the hands so it can be seen above the crowds. Print the file out on green paper, tape to poster board, then cut out hand shape. Prepare two sides, tape together and insert dowel between the two sides. Please contact me for more details on assembly if needed or if you would like files for legal or poster size printouts.

(you can e-mail Mo for the hand printout pdf , or just make your own big green hand)

2. Hands off my Lyme doctor / Do not touch my Lyme doctor

3. We will not lose our lives in silence / We will not go away

4. One side - Outline particular state/states you are representing with total numbers of cases. Other side - outline the US with total numbers of cases

3 ITEMS TO CONSIDER BRINGING WITH YOU

� Folding chairs and/or Blankets - to spread on ground. Three hours may be too long for many of you to stand. There will be no benches or chairs available.

� Food & drinks - please consider bringing your own cooler especially if you have dietary problems. They will have a limited supply of water and vendors may be available for food but this is not guaranteed and may only be junk food.

� Umbrella - it may rain on Friday

� Printed copy of your story to share with others and media

4 AGENDA FOR DAY

12pm to 1pm is for networking and getting organized

1pm to 3pm presentations

--------------------
-- anais nin

FightFireWithWater
Member # 5781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FightFireWithWater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sizzled,

I think your suggestion of

"Undertreated Lyme Disease is Disabling a Generation"

is excellent. The public deserves to know what is at stake.

--------------------
"Help Or Be Helpless" Please visit "Activism" board daily. See the threads regarding the IDSA Guidelines crisis and the threads about Dr. Charles Ray Jones and decide how best to help today!

Posts: 1265 | From does not list | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mo and FightFireWithWater!

Don't have to time to make these signs on fancy boards....

Going to be there coz I ain't square [spinning smile] !!!

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phyllis, is writing the names of people from CA who can't come to the rally on her sign, which says "California Says Hands Off Our Doctors!"

Maybe some others could do that with other states. Here is the link to the thread where she is collecting names.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=044349

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP!
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

up for Mo..
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

UP!!

--------------------
-- anais nin

groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One Bite and You are Me--Jay--
Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How a BIG sign with each person holding one letter spelling out WE WILL NOT GO AWAY! and standing together? Who's got time to make posters tonight?
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 14 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought i would be able to go, but can't, so i want to say that i'll be there in spirit with you!

pq [group hug]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement