LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Researchers...flagella

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Researchers...flagella
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, put on your thinking caps. Bb contains a flagella...like sperm...in order to move.

Why are the testes outside the body?

What does 37 degrees centigrade/98.6 degrees fahrenheit do to flagella?

Now how do we get the internal body temp. back up to "normal" and KEEP IT THERE?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A dog's body temperature is normally between 101�F and 102�F.
I dont know about you but thats a fever for me.

Alpha Lipoic Acid , also known as Thioctic Acid raises body temp?

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welcome
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for welcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about it Marnie???? ALA???
Posts: 294 | From nevada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm probably not thinking clearly, but I have to ask:

If a dog's normal body temp is 101 and 102 degrees F, and dogs still get Lyme,

and many of us probably ran 104 degree temps with our initial infections and Lyme still survived,

are we saying that hypothetically to kill flagella we would have to get our body temps up higher than 102/104?

Wouldn't that harm our internal organs?

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears above 98.6 F, flagella can't be synthesized, but that doesn't mean the flagella on the keets that initially cause the infection are destroyed. Just new "tails" can't be made...until conditions change (body temp. drops).

That doesn't mean Bb can't replicate. Nor does it mean it is not in a location that will supply nutrients to survive.

It is curious that dog's blood pH is very close to ours. This is because, temperature normally changes the pH of solutions.

Normally the LOWER the temperature = the MORE Bb which is why Bb keets are particularly adapted to seabirds (100.4 F) compared to terrestrial birds (104.0 F).

http://wwww.ij-healthgeographics.com/content/1/1/5

Bb adapts to different temperatures by changing its protein expression.

At low temperatures, Bb's DNA is more supercoiled (think new phone cord). At higher temperatures (in us), the DNA is LESS supercoiled (think you've had that phone a long time and now that cord is stretched out).

Curious, but a 1 degree centigrade DROP in body temperature significantly attenuates liver ischemia and reperfusion injury. This means the body temp. drops to protect the major "detox" organ (liver), but at the same time, this temp. drop may increase Bb's numbers. (PMID: 12051564)

Curious too that during hypothermia (low body temperature), the arterial pH RISES and pCO2 FALLS when measurements are made at actual body temperature. This "alkalotic" change does not occure when measurements are made ad normal body temp (98.6 F).

So...low body temperature makes the system more ALKALINE. That looks like another protective move on the body's part.

Fever didn't work to eliminate this infection, so let's DROP the body temp. to protect the liver and to become more alkaline.

Dogs have a different electrolyte pumping mechanism than we do. Dog's RBCs lose their Na/K pump capability as they mature from "infant" RBCs to mature cells. They defend their fluid volume by utilizing the Ca/Na exchanger as a Na extrusion pump.

This goes on to explain the Na/H exchange. (PMID:1355024)

When there are too many hydrogens IN the cells, 3 Na's go in...

A choline deficiency disrupts the Na/K pump. So does a Mg deficiency.

This is how a healthy pump works:

On the inside of the cell membrane are negatively charged potassium ions (K-), and on the outside of the cell membrane are positively charged sodium ions (Na+).

The positive and negative charges are attracted to each other, like in a magnet. The positive sodium ions try to get inside the cell with the negative potassium ions.

If this happened the cell membrane would no longer be electrically polarized, and the pump could not work.

This means that most of the poisonous waste products would stay on the inside of the cell and most of the vital nutrients would stay on the outside the cell. Your cells wouldn't live very long if this is what happened.

To counteract the results from the natural attraction of K- and Na+, the cell has two protecting mechanisms: first, the cell membrane is strong and doesn't let much Na+ into the cell, and second, the cell membrane is equipped with protein pumps that push the little Na+ that does get into the cell, back outside with the rest of the sodium ions.

Because of these mechanisms, K- stays inside of the cell and Na+ stays outside of the cell and the membrane stays electrically polarized. This allows the cell to dispose of its waste products and draw in healthy nutrients.

But...Bb depletes out choline.

"Acetylcholine signals the (alleged) sodium pump in our bodies, and turns the electrical current ON; choline turns it OFF."

So...low choline = sodium pump is ON when it should be off/should be controlled by acetylcholine instead.

The endothelial cells that line the blood vessels and lymph vessels don't have "protection" because nutrients have to flow freely thru these cells.

Now...while researching dogs...

"Pets can be treated with both oral medications and Lyme Sulfur dip"

Ding dong.

Sulfur.

Sulfur kills Bb or merely kill ticks?

We need to discuss...low choline -> low sulfur rich cysteine...zinc, copper, and yes...

ALA!

Prof. Bruce Ames (Juvenon) is onto something!

α-Lipoic acid and N -acetyl cysteine prevent zinc deficiency-induced activation of NF-κB and AP-1 transcription factors in human neuroblastoma IMR-32 cells

Authors: Mackenzie, Gerardo G.1; Zago, M. Paola2; Erlejman, Alejandra G.2; Aimo, Lucila1; Keen, Carl L.1; Oteiza, Patricia I.1

Source: Free Radical Research, Volume 40, Number 1, January 2006, pp. 75-84(10)

"Thus, LA and NAC can reduce the oxidative stress associated with zinc deficiency and the subsequent triggering of NF-κB- and AP-1-activation in neuronal cells."

α-lipoic acid (LA)= ALA = alpha lipoic acid

(NAC by itself or caffeine + NAC can cause problems if someone is zinc deficient to begin with which is what someone on this board found out the hard way.)

NAC is a precursor to glutathione.

Caffeine is Americans #1 "antioxidant".

It appears caffeine causes EFA release and cysteine (if available) takes the EFAs INTO the cells. Now...if Na is inside the cells...what happens when the EFAs get in there? What is the reaction of the essential fatty acids with sodium?

Gosh...I wish I was a biochemist!

Random research:

"Cysteines are often involved in binding metal ions such as copper or zinc."

"zinc (for example ZnCl2) is acidic when dissolved in water. Therefore, never add unbuffered zinc solution to a protein sample unless you really want an acidic protein sample"

Is THAT the "toxin" (acid) in Bb's outer cell wall ie., Zn+choleserol (cholesterol is an acidic steroid)?

"Toxicity has not been determined, but may increase the amount of zinc excreted in the urine and for this reason it may be a good idea to use zinc and copper supplements if using N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) for extended periods.

Radioactive phorbol 12,13-dibutyrate binding analysis indicated that a

cysteine-rich zinc-finger-like sequence

was essential for

*protein kinase C*

to bind phorbol ester and that one of the two sequences was sufficient for the phorbol ester binding."

(Bb contains a protein kinase C Inhibitor= PKC inhibitor.)

"NAC also protects the body from acetaminophen toxicity and is used at very high levels in hospitals for patients with acetaminophen poisoning."

(Tylenol reduces glutathione.)

"Although a great deal of research has shown that NAC has antioxidant activity, one small study found that daily amounts of 1.2 GRAMS or more could lead to increased oxidative stress.15 Extremely large amounts of cysteine, the amino acid from which NAC is derived, may be toxic to nerve cells in rats."

I think we are onto something...

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Up for Treepatrol.
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regulate your immune system.
(easier said than done)

I used an herbalist approach and such with my daughter for one (plus full support with diet) after she was off abx (after two years of Cedax, then Amox and Zith, most symptoms gone but not fully well) - to balance my daughter's metabolism, and free up her immune system -
regulate it, not stimulate it --

and she got a high fever one night a week into things -- I mean up to 104.7 and even higher --
which subsided within hours, I did not give Tylenol, just tepid cloths all night --
her chronic stuttering from Lyme halted the next day and has not yet returned.(!!) That was two years ago.

I can't say whether she got a 'flu' - however I note that I (at that time) caught anything that went through this house, as did my son - and we did not 'catch' this.

-- granted, a young body is more workable than an older one (less built up goo, for lack of a better term) -- but I still believe we can reach the end goal at any age.

It's tricky and takes a while, but we can do it.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

"It's tricky and takes awhile"...oh YES!

It is fascinating to see how the body protects itself.

For example...too much TNF alpha (proinflammatory cytokine...protein, acidic) is harmful to the eyes...so...

The body utilizes Vitamin A...another acid...to "downregulate" TNF alpha and protect the eyes.

Amazing.

Watch closely at how the body is responding and adjust accordingly...support the immune system.

We KNOW Mg levels drop "significantly" (an understatement) at the outset of this disease. We KNOW vitamin A and E drop. These are all documented.

We do, however, have to be careful with vitamin A...that one is very tricky...overdosing is harmful.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement