LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Testosterone injections and lyme warning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Testosterone injections and lyme warning
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,
A little while ago(two months) I came on here asking of side effects and lyme with testosterone injections...not too many responses and most were a negative due to the type of steroid testosterone is...

So I went along with the doc and shot the stuff into my arm...1 1/2 cc monthly...

About a week after the second shot I developed cysts(boils) one on my neck and one near groin, fever, infection, and the real kicker is my blood sugar went up to 300+.

Here's the thing....
Granted diabetes is in my family...
I'm old enough and sedantary enough to get it...
Exposure to agent orange in Nam could also bring it on...

The surprising thing for me is that my mother had all my symptoms before passing on... and no diabetes...

when they gave her prednisone she became diabetic within a week........

I'm thinking there has got to be a connection.....

I had undergone glucose tolerance tests all my life as recent as a couple years ago...no diabetes...

Now all of a sudden BAM...diabetes...full blown......

And the sweating increased...which is why my duck thought I was going thru male menopause and ordered the shots......

Just freakin wonderful...........

Any comments would be greatly appreciated...

Yeah I know the sweats were probably babs....but can't seem to get mepron......

Now for the cysts...the other duck gave me Cipro(a quinalone) even though I told him it gives me tendonitis.....

I also have some kind of sore on my tongue I have to get biopsied......

CRAP!

Hangin in there...so far........zman [dizzy]

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it in the pill form and didn't have a problem. I didn't notice much benefit, though. I too was concerned about reactions and the duck said the dose was "physiologic" and not immune suppressing.

Sorry to hear about this upsetting experience.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know what to make of the hormone/diabetes connection. Recently I had an insulin and c peptide test done, which came back low, flagged low. Meanwhile, the glucose level is normal. Sure got me puzzled. Hoping the doc will not say the d word. Have never had any symptoms of diabetes, none in family. Read recently about a link between insulin levels/inflammation and infection. Am pasting below. Not sure what it all means.

------------------------------------------

Diabetes Care. 2006 May;29(5):1058-64.

Burden of infection and insulin resistance in healthy middle-aged men.

Fernandez-Real JM, Lopez-Bermejo A, Vendrell J, Ferri MJ, Recasens M,
Ricart W.

Section of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Nutrition, Institut
d'Investigacio Biomedica de Girona, Avinguda de Franca s/n, 17007
Girona, Spain.

OBJECTIVE: We hypothesized that burden of infection could be
associated with chronic low-grade inflammation, resulting in insulin
resistance. We aimed to study the effect of exposure to four
infections on insulin sensitivity in apparently healthy middle-aged
men (n = 124). RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: By inclusion criteria,
all subjects were hepatitis C virus antibody seronegative. Each study
subject's serum was tested for specific IgG class antibodies against
herpes simplex virus (HSV)-1, HSV-2, enteroviruses, and Chlamydia
pneumoniae through the use of quantitative in vitro enzyme-linked
immunosorbent assays. Insulin sensitivity was evaluated using minimal
model analysis. RESULTS: The HSV-2 titer was negatively associated
with insulin sensitivity even after controlling for BMI, age, and C-
reactive protein (CRP). The associations were stronger when
considering the infection burden.

In particular, in those subjects
who were seropositive for C. pneumoniae, the relationship between the
quantitative seropositivity index (a measure of the exposure to
various pathogens) and insulin sensitivity was strengthened (r = -
0.50, P less than 0.0001).

We also observed decreasing mean insulin sensitivity index with
increasing seropositivity score in subjects positive for
enteroviruses. In the latter, the relationship between insulin
sensitivity and seropositivity was especially significant (r = -0.71,
P less than 0.0001). In a multivariate regression analysis, both BMI and
quantitative seropositivity index (7%) independently predicted
insulin sensitivity variance in subjects with C. pneumoniae
seropositivity. When controlling for CRP, this association was no
longer significant.

CONCLUSIONS: Pathogen burden showed the strongest association with
insulin resistance, especially with enteroviruses and C. pneumoniae
seropositivity. We hypothesize that exposure to multiple pathogens
could cause a chronic low-grade inflammation, resulting in insulin
resistance.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugabooboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using topical creme Estradiol and Testosterone and sublingual estriol for almost 2 years now.

I just had my HGB A-1C done...an indicator for long term blood sugars. It was perfectly normal.

I do notice a difference with the hormones, in a lot of ways ie: strength, energy, stamina, sexually...

Injecting a big dose of hormones all at once could have been your problem. Why don't you try topical and work up gradually?

Bug

--------------------
Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see....Corrie Ten Boom

Posts: 343 | From Northcentral Iowa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at it this way. Likely your Zn level was/is low, thus testosterone was low.

I know, tough...Bb wants Zn, but we need it too!

Now, you were given a shot of testosterone (acidic) and the body had to compensate for the acids some way...

Hello...alkaline glycogen.

High intake of L-histidine and testosterone increased blood glucose concentrations in diabetic rats.
PMID: 11172475

(Histidine is related to calcium blood levels.)

"Vitamin E deficiency will cause the depletion of histidine from muscles. Histidine is involved with the regulation of zinc levels in your body. If zinc is excessive it will lower histidine; if histidine is excessive it will decrease zinc levels. But appropriate levels of histidine enhance zinc levels."

"Serious medical conditions can be associated with administration of testosterone to men with hypogonadism.

Testosterone replacement has been shown to increase low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and triglycerides, decrease high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, and induce insulin resistance and carbohydrate intolerance."

https://secure.pharmacytimes.com/lessons/200410-03.asp

How about a nice cholesterol lowering Rx along with some CoQ10 to protect the heart?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proud pup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proud pup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony,

If you don't mind telling, how low was your testostrone level?

Husbands is low 140. He has been fighting lyme for a long time.

He is on shots every other week. He can see a big difference if he is a few days late getting it. His energy level drops.

Doctor is still trying to get his dose and level to where he is confortable.

Does anyone know if low levels cause night sweats?? ( i know babs does)

Just seems like ALL his remainding symptoms fit his low testostrone.

Posts: 191 | From Eastern Shore. Maryland USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweats could be a result of hypoglycemia -- sometimes labeled as pre-diabetes by knowledgeable docs. I have problems with this -- my main symptom is sweats if I eat too many carbohydrates -- especially sweats from the knees down for some reason.

Cinnamon tablets (when I remember to take them!) have helped lower my fasting insulin (too high) but fasting glucose is normal.

Hubby has used the hormone creams in the past -- a mix of testosterone, estrogen, progesterone and DHEA -- for a couple of years. We just kind of abandoned hormone supplementation as his hormone levels never came back normal whatever we did -- does continue taking oral DHEA -- the master hormone which is supposed to be converted to all the others.

For last 6 months or so his fasting glucose has been elevated slightly -- I guess I need to revisit the hormone issue at next LLMD appointment.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proud pup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proud pup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for Tony
Posts: 191 | From Eastern Shore. Maryland USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I don't recall my level of testosterone a few months ago...doc said it was low...possibly for several reasons...

Not the least was possible male menopause...

Thanks for all the info...

I'm not panicking...I think this testosterone caused a spike and possibly onse of diabetes...I'll just have to be a little more careful...

I went in for a1c and blood glucose test saturday fasting...hope to get the results by tomorrow...

I'll post here about those results after I see duck....

Maybe some of my symptoms are a result of having typeII diabetes all this time as well as lyme....

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proud pup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4152

Thank you Tony for posting this.

With husband taking the shots I am going to play closer attention to his sugar level.

I do worry about that (even though it doesn't run in his family) he is a big man, doesn't always watch what he eats. And the sweats worry me alot. He also pees alot. Thirsty alot. But, his labs have been ok so far.

What is the actual lab work that they do to test for sugar.?

janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shots are not an ideal method to deliver testosterone. Too high then too low, rather than stable levels.

I suggest Dr Shippen's book-The Testossterone Snyndrome.

I know a dr near Philly that works with pellets

google sottopellets for more info

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.waow.com/news/full_story.php?id=39287

HRT is important as part of a lyme tx

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Proudpup,

Yeah, I'm "BIG BONED" too...lol

Your hubby has my symptoms too...sweet tooth especially at night, dry mouth, drinking ots,peeing lots, sweats...especially after eating...

A glucose tolerance test is something to try...a blood glucose level 4, or even the sugar level that comes back included in a comprehensive metabolic panel may indicate a problem...

I had several of these tests as a child 18. and down thru the years and they always came back normal...

I guess I finally reached the right age or something...

I'm 5'9" and before lyme I was 190lbs...
I gained weight over the treatment of this disease to where last month I was 287....I recently lost 15lbs in about a month....sooooo

I would definitely watch it with your hubby...I'm 56 as of April.....

Good luck.......zman

--------------------

lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Hi there folks...here with vitals and labs...

BP 179/107
racing heart rate
temp 99.7

A1C....11.5
glucose fasting(12hr) 296

Sodium 132 four points lower than low norm...
Bun 5 Low...

Lymphs 23.4 low

I was told by the nurse/practitioner lady duck that I was gonna die,go blind,get amputated sumewhere,blow up my kidneys,liver or heart or die of stroke...

If I did'nt start taking beta blockers and METFORMIN HCL 500MG tabs two times a day...

The thought crossed my mind...only for a second mind you...that I did'nt give a darn cuz...at least I would'nt have to put up with this lyme disease anymore...

But then I thought....geez...maybe I'm "CURED" of lyme and these symptoms are from diabetes...

Well here we go old friend.....Once more into the breech of mainstream medicine....aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggg!!!!!!!!

Hope I come out on the other side happy......

The sheduck did'nt care about any of the literature I brought her about pathogens and testosterone injections possibly causeing interferrance of insulin affectiveness.......

[woohoo] Having gastric emptying test done today...cuz of gastritis(we all know is a lyme or coinfection symptom) It's also a diabetes symptom....

Let ya all know how that turns out in another post as I see this one is already on page two...

Man this medical side gets filled up fast....

There's entirely too many lymies in this world dang it!

zman

--------------------

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony...get your LDL and HDL colesterol levels checked too...for SURE. ASAP. If your doc suggests a cholesterol lowering Rx...go for it! But...be SURE to supplement CoQ10, 200mg, at least once a day. Cholesterol lowering drugs deplete this enzyme.

Sodium...low 'cause it is going IN the cells because INSIDE the cells is too much hydrogen. The Na-H pump is off because of several things, but mainly because choline is low. Bb is taking YOUR choline.

Too many free radicals...oxidative damage.

Are you taking antioxidants? Especially vitamin E...WITH meals?

Post op (GB) my elderly mom developed late onset diabetes. Her blood level was in the 180-190 range. Now...mind you she will not give up sweets. The doctor tried 3 different oral meds (Rxs), but with all...she spent far too much time in the bathroom...if you catch the "drift"...

So we tried the natural route. She took a product called Gluco Reg by Solar Ray. It is chromium plus acids...including ALA! She followed the bottle directions (2x/day with meals) and it did take 3 months, but we did get her blood sugar level back to normal.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Thanks folks for your input...

I never had a problem with sugar all my life and my cholesterol last year when I gave autologous blood for my second knee replacement was 97 and

my blood pressure was fine etc...

Now I did stay more sedentary than usual and have'nt been on my bicycle in over a year and I did stop taking all the Dr B supplements....and garlic and vitamin E so....

I did'nt do myself any favors....

Hears the thing I can't do any statins(cholesterol lowering) drugs...zocor gave me a rash

and lipitor gave me leg pains...

soooooo....I'm gonna have to go the diet route...

I am interested in this alkaline diet mentioned above....if anyone has a list on that......

and any diabetic diets to follow...the freakin ducks did'nt give me any literature on this.....

Thanks in advance folks........zman

--------------------

ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that predisone/steroids long term can
shoot up blood sugar levels and push a patient
into diabetes. Also, if you have a genetic
predisposition towards this, I could imagine
that your body may incline towards that disease.

So sorry you are going through all this.

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Book:

The pH Miracle for Diabetes : The Revolutionary Diet Plan for Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetics

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement