LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Imaginary bugs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Imaginary bugs?
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All,

Just recently, within the last week or so, I have been feeling imaginary bugs on my skin.

I know they are imaginary, because when I go to swat them away...there is nothing there.

I'm aware that this symptom is usually attributed to Lyme, but, this is something new to me, and I thought I had the lyme prety much under control.

I also have Bart and Babs, and thought the Bart was mostly under control as well.

So, why is this most annoying symptom surfacing just now?

Is it related in anyway to something else that I am not aware of?

Or, is it another neuro manifestation of lingering Lyme?

I am not on any meds currently.

Any thoughts or remedies would sure be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, Melanie, this is one of the neurolyme symptoms.

I didn't feel this creepy-crawly stuff until I'd been on abx for about 2 months; then it started, often in the same place on my head.

A month or so later, I started taking rifampin for Bartonella, and this symptom was one of the first to completely disappear.

Before it went away, though, I would make myself crazy by going to the mirror just to reassure myself.

It's a maddening symptom, and I hope you're able to find some relief soon.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melanie
The crawlies were caused by babs
for me--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,
I think it's a neuro manifestation of something. [Wink] I just figured it's another one of those things.

I have this happen a lot, more so in bug season, though, because sometimes there are bugs on me. For me, that may trigger heightened sensitivity, dunno.

Sorry, my thoughts were less than helpful and I have no remedies.

edit: my post would look a lot less dumb here if I had posted before Jay. [Big Grin]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you guys.

I am just so not a happy camper right now.

M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other symptoms or just this?

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the imaginary bugs too from time to time.
hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm....low magnesium causing paresthesias?

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morgellons?

Check out Morgellons.org

The site used to read that approx. 94% tested

positive for Bb. I think they have gotten away

from that even though everyone I know that is

afflicted has a dx of Lyme. IMO it is to get

the disease recognized. Let's face it since Lyme

gets no respect, it was a dead end to dwell on

it. Since the CDC doesn't take it seriously,

anyway.

You don't have to have the lesions to have this.

You do live in the state with the most reported cases!

Have you noticed any black specks on you or around your house, like pepper?

Have you looked at your skin under a scope? You can get a tiny lighted scope at Radio Shack for $10.

5 in my house have this. PM me if you would like more info.

I do have things we use that help.

Best wishes lyme x 9

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry you're not a happy camper today.

The crawly things stop as mysteriously as they start if that's any help.

Any chance they're an allergic reaction to something? Nah, mine usually aren't either, but as the neuro stuff calms they go with it.

Sometimes I think it's toxins coming out through the skin. Like all the crazy not-pimple things and mysterious hives and such.

I do hope they've subsided by now.

Do you have anything like valerian in the house? Something that may calm down your nervous system a bit? (xanax or something? maybe even benedryl if it makes you mellow?) Just a thought.

I had the bug thing really bad when I had that neurontin backfire on me. It sucked big time. Now I just have crawly-itchies, quite an improvement. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
more light, more love

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

I so appreciate all of your thoughts...

well, except for the Morgellons one- that really was NOT what I wanted to hear.
No, really I DO appreciate that one too [Smile]

I have no clue what is happening here. Could be so many different things, or not.

This evening as I was showering, I noticed a new EM rash on my stomach. I have been keeping an eye on it for about a week...hoping it was only a scratch or something...
but now it is expanding with a darker border and clearing in the center. Identical to my classic EMs of old.

Perhaps I was bitten again, or perhaps without meds in my system, the Lyme is coming out of hiding and disseminating once more...but with new symptoms this go round.

Yes, Robi, I have many other symptoms currently. They come and go as usual, but a few are causing a bit of a nose dive.
Those include sudden waves of nausea, weakness, cold sweats, dizziness, edema and fatigue. Fluctuating temps, flushing, severe headaches, and insomnia. Neuropathy, muscle cramps and twitches, the sensation of bugs crawling, itching and stinging. Poor memory, concentration, and confusion. Very sore and stiff neck and shoulders.
I could go on...but won't.

I doubt this is an allergic reaction, since I am not taking anything at the moment.

I don't have any sores or lesions, no black specs or other skin manifestations that I am aware of that could point to Morgellons. I know this is a very real issue for many, and while I haven't been in CA all that long, I also knew of others in CO with this as well. I have spent allot of time traveling anyway, and who knows where I could have picked something up.

Sorry to sound so down right now...I know that many of you are suffering so much more than I am. And I'm also well aware that things can always be worse.

M

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey bug-a-boo!

They are called "no-see-um's".

Ok.. maybe not!

BUT... That is what I thought was happening to me when I felt that same way. It got so bad for me at one point that I felt it HAD to be SOMETHING crawling on me.. so I "assumed" it was no-see-um's. It wasn't.. it was just the stuff you described and no actual bugs.

Don't know if you can find the old posts here now.. but Runner21 use to post about this symptom quite a bit, years ago... and someone else.. forget who exactly. (I think they called it creepy crawlies) It is something common to our soup-pot of infections.. but I can't say which one for sure.

I remember it happening and/or getting worse when the neuropathy was kicking at me on and off.. and during the 'hands go numb' stages when I tried to hold things in them.

It ALMOST felt as if something was lightly touching the individual hairs on my arms near the root.. at times.. for example. Even on my head it would feel that way.. and even as if something were actually crawling through my hair.

And it was especially annoying when it occured around my rib cage (under the lower section of my bra) almost to the itchy stage... and on my calf muscle area... one side or the other.. almost alternating like a bug would go from one leg to the other... like a fly was landing on them then flying off before I could see it.

The only other thing I can think of that MIGHT cause this.. and it may have been in me too at the time and I didn't know it.. was yeast.

I would actually have a light.. very very light pinkish discoloration in moist prone areas with bad yeast sometimes.. like in the summer when I sweat... along my mid back and underneath my bra area. Not heat or prickly rash.. just a light pink and itchy sometimes.

The other part of this situation you are facing is.... and this is where I don't please people with this comment because they think I am saying they are nuts or are too much a worry wart.. when that is NOT what I mean..... but..

When we get this symptom.. if we think about it, it doesn't actually "hurt".. it is simply annoying.

BUT.. our minds make it seem quite consuming and give us an exagerated sense of the feeling.. like it is very intense sometimes... or more bothersome than it actually is.

In other words.. we get a hightened sense that this "symptom" is more of a problem than it really is. I KNOW I had to fight to not let it consume me mentally... and I've seen others go a bit "buggy" over it too.

My thought is that there is a "brain" thing going on in addition to the actually "touch" symptom. Not always.. but sometimes.

To be honest.. I felt quite "freaky" at the time.. and actually I feared going outside more so when this was happening cause I didn't want any extra contact with bugs.

I now look back and can see it as a brain symptom as well as a physical symptom.

So don't be getting your nose bent out of joint about what I said.. and don't think I am saying it isn't happening or it's all in your head. After all... If it didn't happen to me already... I wouldn't have noted those "other" things and wouldn't have been able to share them with you.

I have no clue what med would fix it or improve it. I only know it is one of the creeping back things I'd get when stopping treatment.

Hope that helps! Hope it is calmed down soon!

Night night..

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey.. looks like we were posting about the same time? Anyhow I didn't see your last post when I replied.

You said..

"Perhaps I was bitten again, or perhaps without meds in my system, the Lyme is coming out of hiding and disseminating once more... but with new symptoms this go round."

It is awful not being able to pinpoint what is happening.. I know.

But yes.. it COULD be a new case.. on top of the old.

It COULD be a relapse.. and new symptoms do occur with that as you said.

It COULD be another "infection" coming out of the closet too.

The important thing to ask yourself is...

What to do about it?

We may NEVER know exactly why it is happening.

My suggestion would be to get on meds as soon as possible. We need to scare the pants off the keets.. and unless they have the ability to see you in the mirror now and then... the best way to scare them is to start bombing them into submission with meds. Especially in the brain.. before your mind is more involved.

After all.. we wouldn't want take a chance and lose anymore of the itty bitty brain power you have left!

I mean HEY ... if THAT happened.. who would make me those nice green sandwiches?

Thinking about you squirelly head!

[Big Grin]

PS... WITH treatment.. this can go away. It did for meeeeeeeeeeeeee and others.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

quote:
Originally posted by Melanie Reber:

I have no clue what is happening here. Could be so many different things, or not.

Sorry to sound so down right now...I know that many of you are suffering so much more than I am. And I'm also well aware that things can always be worse.

M

Hey kiddo,
You're right those are not allergy symptoms. Those symptoms sound like Lyme and Babs (ok, not a big surprise there). You are about to go back on treatment; that is a good thing.

Try and find your camera and take a pic of that rash, k? [Wink]

Most importantly, you don't sound down you sound symptomatic and it sucks regardless of whether it's better or worse than anyone elses. Please don't feel you need to apologize for feeling rotten.

Yeah, yeah, things can always be worse but they won't be, k?. I know it's no fun at all but you will be back on meds soon and on your way.

Hang in there sweety pie! [group hug]

--------------------
more light, more love

Tincup
Member # 5829

One more note before I fall face first into my keyboard...

I think we should rename the month of May. Instead of being-

"May is Lyme Disese Awareness month"..

It should be called..

May is "start taking doxy month cause we are going to be exposed again no matter how hard we try not to be".

When I returned home last night from the rally.. after a brief "hello".. all I heard was..

"I want to take doxy. I've pulled off 8 ticks in the past two weeks and I don't feel good."

By the way.. there is a BAD tick season this year so far... in this area anyhow.

I was dog sitting my kids dog for a week while he was away.

The dog had over 50 ticks on it.. and had been treated with Frontline!

Do be careful out there!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

trueblue
Member # 7348

TC,
I can't believe how well you described how this feels. You freak me out! [Razz]

You nailed it with your description of the no-see-ums, that's exactly what I call them...well, up to now... to myself. [Big Grin]

The same with the hair things.

It sure is good to have you around again.
(ok, it makes me feel slightly less nuts to know I have company.) [Wink]

--------------------
more light, more love

trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH migoodness. I am so sad and sorry to read this just after I met you for the first time and had a GREAT lunch!!!

Can you take a photo of the rash so we can see it??? Also so YOU have a record of it...as you know a record of the rash is really important. Even if you dont remember the tick bite and in your case maybe there wasnt one.

I am so glad that you are already seeing a GREAT LLMD though, and you are about to start on some good treatment.

I believe you can knock this back down, I really do.

Hang in there!
Trails

PS----your symptoms describe ME to a T. And it was freakin HOT that day we ate lunch....no wonder you were sweating! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Thanks so much for your thoughtful answers.

and most meaningful, your compassiona nd encourgement.

I'm trying some vsalium toight o at leat try and get some rest before beginning the llong work week again.

Muc love as always,
m

janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
look up formication

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lalyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lalyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the bugs for 4 years. Everyday. It has gotten so I am used to them, if you can believe it. One day...I hope they will go along with all the other symptoms. i have been in treatment for 2 months. Doing a bit better.
Posts: 298 | From los angeles | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Thanks to each of you.

Today was a bit better...or maybe I am getting better at ignoring it? [Roll Eyes]

I think I am sort of afraid of ignoring it too much just in case there actually IS a bug there!

Anyway...onward and upward!

Much love,
M

(oh, and for anyone else going through this...
I am sooooooo sorry)

minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie -- so sorry to hear it.

the bug crawling feeling was a TBD sx for me, I'm just not sure which one. Haven't had it since my successful Babs tx, so that's the one I suspicion (but the hubby, who's definitely a babesioid, doesn't have this at all. Go figure).

Crawly skin and rashes can be a Candida indicator; itchy, crawly skin can be sx of menopause; it also goes with Cushing's disease (gained a lot of weight recently for no reason?) And I dunno what else.

Don't ignore this in favor of thinking positive, OK? EM rash, neurological stuff -- you have something going on that needs to be addressed immejit, and I'm afeared it's TBD related. But hey, if it is you're in good company.

Best of luck.

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Hey there Miss Minoucat,

You may be onto something here...well, more precisely, many things. The trick is trying to figure out which. [Smile]

I have begun treatment!
I have a raging Candida infection, so the good doc is starting with that.
Then it is on to Babs and continued Lyme treatment. (and possibly some Bart stuff thrown in there for good measure)

I am also at the age when peri- menopause could be playing into the picture.
AND, at my recent apt, the doc stated matter of factly that my adrenals were shot.

I have gained weight recently, and it is so perplexing as I hardly eat much. I assumed it was a combo of the bloat from Candida and water weight, as I am experiencing increasing bouts of 2++ edema.

Soooo, it is a crapshoot of sorts...could be all of the above playing off of each other, or could be something else entirely.

Isn't this fun?

M

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was worse for me when I got a sweat on just about drove me nuts.
It lasted a couple of months.
I hope its over quicker for you [Smile]

What abx's and suppliments are you on Ms M

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metasequoia
Member # 9325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for metasequoia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone ever have stinging "bites?" My six yr old keeps saying "ouch! something stung me!" on her neck. She awoke this morning with her right eye completely swollen shut & the surrounding skin.

What could that be? Maybe she has a gnat or something hiding out in her hair?

I don't see anything when I look.

--------------------
~Erin

Posts: 58 | From SE PA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Oh Erin,
I'm so sorry that your precious one is having these problems.

I do get the sensation of stinging...it varies, but is akin to a pin prick feel.

I am not sure what may have caused her swollen eye, poor dear...but I would certainly call the doc, OK?

Tree-hugger,
So sorry you had to go through this too, but if ya don't mind- I am going to focus on the "through" part, OK? (thanks for that)

Currently, I ma taking Diflucan and mega Theralc. I'm waiting for the Oil of Oregano to come in the post to add.

Then, I will begin Art, Ketek, and Mepron. And return to the good doc for more instructions.

Oops, just noticed the time! I have to be at work in half an hour and am still in my jammies [Eek!]

Much love,
M

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Just wanted to add an update for those of you who are still dealing with the imaginary bugs [Roll Eyes]

After a week of Diflucan and Theralac, the bugs left!

Sooo, until they return, I am considering them a bad Candida symptom.

Take your probiotics!

Thanks again,
M

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I should do some diflucan never have.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Hey Tree-hugger,

It certainly couldn't hurt, and may possibly help- sound like good odds to me ! [Smile]

I was on Diflucan previously, 2 pills a week during treatment (about 3 years), but with my recent lapse in treatment, I also had a lapse of the pink pill.

I never got the "bugs" at all during that time of taking Diflucan, and they have left with resuming it.

Could be coincedence- but I'll take it!

Hang in there sugar,
M

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement