LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What Does a Babesia recurrence feel like?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Does a Babesia recurrence feel like?
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am six weeks on mepron and have seen major changes -- mostly the profound malaise and fatigue are gone, thinking is clearer, shaking chills gone except for the morning. Really dramatic improvements.

But I have noticed many say they relapse on Babs. So what happens?

It's hard to separate out some of the babs symptoms from the lyme.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This question seems to come up every day now on Lymenet, so you may be in luck--we may be entering a phase where everyone focuses their full attention on this problem, leading to fast results.

Unfortunately, it looks like there are many different species of babesia out there. Some of them closely resemble malaria, while others seem to be far tougher and hardier.

There does seem to be a symbiotic protective relationship between Lyme and babesia, which is a malaria characteristic. There are also some people whose babesia seems to have a dormant form, just like malaria does. If this theory has any truth to it, then the dormant form would protect the babesia from antibiotics. Dormant malaria can reactivate months or years after medical treatment is completed, starting the whole problem over again.

All our babesia drugs are really malaria drugs. Many of the drugs recommended as babesia "cures" are really preventatives, which people in tropical areas take to avoid contracting malaria, not to get rid of it. A lot of babesia drugs are also taken in different combinations than one would find within the malaria community.

Right now, we are all still learning the names of these drugs, never mind figuring out what they actually do.

Malaria has several tricks to build drug resistance, and many longterm babesia sufferers show signs of having a drug resistant disease.

Also, there's many babesia treatments whose history leads back into foggy obscurity, so it's difficult to figure out just where their reputation for being a cure actually came from.

It may be that relapsers are missing a key to their recovery, like a drug combination. Maybe we all develop resistance more quickly than we know, so that mepron loses its ability to cure us before we even know we are at risk.

It's also possible that either the best drugs don't exist yet, or we don't have enough experts on malaria available to us in this country to guide us. Until the arrival of Bill Gates, Bono and their ilk, nobody cared about malaria, that tacky Third World disease. Now that medical community is finally getting money for research, which would lead to the development of more targeted medicine.

Mepron users always take a macrolide to slow downt the development of resistance, and liver support to counteract this drug's harsh effects. Many also take an herbal supplement called artemisinin.

A relapse is a return of symptoms, usually even worse than before, when a person stops taking a drug. There are so many mepron users who experience this, it has become clear to everyone that we are missing something here. But we don't know yet what it is.

I'm feeling very much better on my current protocol, but I never tested positive for babesia microti, and was never tested for WA-1. This drug combination is your basic, no-frills treatment for relapsing malaria, and hopefully will get me off mepron after two years of constant relapse.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jeff,

I agree with you, I think it can be very difficult to figure out what symptom is from what disease.

The only way I could figure anything out was going through it. The symptoms that cleared up for me while on treatment for Babesia I attributed to Babesia.

Symptoms that got better for me were fatigue, clearer thinking, I feel more organized in my head( if that makes any sense), heat intolerance, (really didn't know I had this until it started to go away), anxiety, food issues,chills, fevers, my headaches have also gotten better and my chronic stiff neck is gone.

Hope this helps some.

Didn't see Liz's post there, but wanted to add that I can tell when babsia symptoms return. When I go off my meds, usually the anxeity is the first one.

I am also very glad you are seeing improvement, hang in there. [Smile]

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hides1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hides1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI! I relapsed after 2/3 weeks of being off the Mepron/Zithro/Artemisin combo (which I had been on for months!) The symptoms came back stronger than they ever had before. My iron/ferritin levels were off and I was very anemic. My spleen became a little inflammed. I had severe chills after dinner time, constant low grade fevers, night sweats, sever fatigue and horrible air hunger. These symptoms were quite obvious. Once I got back on the drug combo things started to get a little better.

I am still struggling with the disease. My recent Igenex and even Quest tests show positive for it. I am on a stronger dose of Mepron but am worried that the Mepron is not doing the trick to erradicate the parasite!

Posts: 238 | From Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do any of you herx first before you feel better with babesia? and if you do how long did you herx? thanks
radha

Posts: 392 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that's a scary answer, Liz, even though I appreciate the complexity involved and clearly how little we know ...

I'm taking biaxin ceftin and mepron. Man the mepron is harsh on GI. I've stopped for two days and have fwer GI problems. But today I had an anxiety attack and maybe its related.

I'm gonna see LLMD tomorrow. I wonder what she will say.

And no, I did not herx on mepron -- since babs is not a spirochete, there would be no toxic die off thus no herx. Unless there is truly a morethansymbiotic relationship between lyme and babs. My doc said often after a long period of abx treatment the babs comes out and shows its ugly head. That happeneed to me. I didn't have many of the babs symptoms until 8 months into abx tx.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My doc said often after a long period of abx treatment the babs comes out and shows its ugly head. That happeneed to me. I didn't have many of the babs symptoms until 8 months into abx tx.

Seems this is a role.

My explanation for this is:

Bbs repress Babs.

Once Bbs have been weakened by abx, Babs will expand.

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for me it meant the return of a special type of a babs headache

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would ya'll say to someone who had NO babs symptoms until they started treating for it via Mepron/zith. Now whenever I take mepron/zith I get terrible babs symptoms:

low grade fevers
chills
sweating (but not at night particularly)
dizziness, vertigo
hot feeling face and cold cold hands
confusion/ cotton in my head

I only get these occassionally when NOT on babs treatment. And I NEVER had them prior to beginning mepron/zith for my first time last year.

I thought that since these symptoms appeared during my babs treatment, that means I still have the infection, but you guys are talking about feeling BETTER after not much time on treatment.

I am so confused.

[loco]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liz,
What is your current protocol for relapsing Babs?

I have been on Malarone for almost a year, but whenever I try to go off it, my symptoms return(though unlike others) only mildly. I never had strong symptoms, but did test positive for Babs.

When I relapse,I tend towards unsteadiness and feeling warm and then colder when I wake up in the middle of the night. I also notice some bruising.

I've been trying the intensive 3 days on, 1 month off Artemesinin, but have found that recently I've had to add a daily dose of Art to keep symptoms at bay.So, I guess the Malarone maybe losing it's effectiveness.

I recently had a massage and I think it stirred up the toxins and I had a low grade headache for days.

Posts: 175 | From ma. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement