LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hyperbaric Oxygen approved for Candida

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hyperbaric Oxygen approved for Candida
Kathy Boss
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Boss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering if any of you have heard of the progress of hyperbaric oxygen being used for candida.

I just found out that medicare covers it and I checked with my HMO and they cover it.

This has worked wonders for me in the past. I'm combining hydrogen peroxide I.V.s with it this time.

Here is a link on oxygen if this helps anyone.

http://www.oxytank.com/quanda.htm

Kat

Posts: 1092 | From CA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kathy,

Is it possible for you to find out the billing (CPT)code for the therapy. I would like to past that information on.

If that is true and there is a possiblity that HBOT will be covered for Candida then there is a huge potential for those with lyme and lyme autism to have the therapy approved. I would greatly appreciate the information.

Blessings,

Julia

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ellenluba
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ellenluba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This really would be terrific. I'd appreciate any info you can get. This could be a big asset for many of us.
Ellen

--------------------

Posts: 819 | From New York, NY | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kathy, I too would appreciate knowing how to tell my doc medicare approves this.

Thanks for the post.

Posts: 561 | From connecticut | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Boss
Member # 3062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Boss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had called a Cancer treatment clinic in Santa Barbara that has hyperbaric and hydrogen peroxide treatments.

I asked them if they would treat me for Candida. I told them that I had used both of these treatments with great success but never together.

They said Cancer patients have this probelm with candida too and that is what they use it for.

I asked about price. They quoted $75 for the hyperbaric which I thought was awesome because most places I call are $500.

They quoted $125 for the hydrogen peroxide which is what I use to pay before.

I told him I would only be able to afford a weeks worth because it was out of pocket. he asked if i was on medicare and I said no, HMO.

He told me i should check and see if Candida treatment is covered on my insurance like it is on medicare (or medicade I always get them mixed up).

So I called my insurance and low and behold they do cover it.

I don't know the code but as soon as I find out I'll let you guy's know.

I am researching my plan today trying to find a clinic within my plan.

I can email you name of the clinic if any of you want it, I don't think I am suppose to post it here.

Maybe you can call and they will give you the code. I wouldn't think it would be private information.

Hope this helps, Kat

Posts: 1092 | From CA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for this information. I never would have guessed that anything would be covered for candida treatment, given that it's another one of those diseases that mainstream medicine often doesn't acknowledge.

I have talked to a consultant for a HBOT clinic here who has worked with Lyme patients and I spoke with a Lyme patient who had great results with HBOT. But it's definitely more expensive at this one facility than the prices you were quoted.

I'd be happy to tell you what I learned if you want to PM me. I haven't tried it myself - was keeping it in the back of my mind because I had a several-month period where I had to go off antibiotics.

I have heard on other Lyme group postings that some people develop vision problems from HBOT, but it sounded temporary.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jill, and all [hi]

I am very interested in finding out the codes. I will tell you all that I own/operate a hyperbaric chamber from my home and it is very beneficial for the treatment of candida. Is there a study? I can't tell you. All I can say is that is does work.

The most important thing is that there is also a study by Dr Fife that uses Hyperbaric Oxygen to treat Lyme. However the cost is too prohibitive for most people! So if there is a way that the cost can be approved for the diagnosis of Candida that would certainly open the doors for many lyme sufferers to get the therapy. Did you ever meet a lyme patient without a case of Candida? Very few, sorry to say.

Please let me know if anyone can get back to me with the CPT/ICD codes...

Blessings,

Julia

--------------------

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focusonsurvival
Member # 9124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for focusonsurvival     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so fantastic!!!!!!! I hope this works for all of us! Go Boejr!!!!!!!
Posts: 55 | From Mamaroneck, New york | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focusonsurvival
Member # 9124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for focusonsurvival     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is so fantastic!!!!!! HOPE THIS WORKS FOR ALL OF US!!!!! GO BOEJR
Posts: 55 | From Mamaroneck, New york | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tjtighe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjtighe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you talking about Mild hyperbaric oxygen?

--------------------
tj

Posts: 296 | From Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Hi all,

I am referring to (hard shell) Hyperbaric not mHBOT. I do not know that any health care carrier covers mHBOT for any reason. There are thirteen approve conditions for HBOT. But I have seen some conditions paid for even a couple of cases of lyme. It is a brick wall though...

Please keep us informed as to those codes. If you can not get the information let me know who you contacted and I will try and get the information as well.

Best Regards,

Julia

--------------------

Kathy Boss
Member # 3062

http://www.issels.com/submitted_itc.aspx

This is the link to the clinic that medicare pays for treatment of Candida.

I called a hospital in san diego yesterday UCSD in Hillcrest and Candida treatment is treated there with Hyperbaric's too.

Now I'm waiting on my doctor to do the request form to them. I was told this is the precedure.

I would suggest calling the clinic abouve and see if you can get the code.

Otherwise, when i get to go to the hospital in San Diego I'll get the code then.

it wasn't easy getting to the right dept or person when I called UCSD, people most of the time don't have a clue about Candida or why you are asking about hyperbaric.

kat

Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any studies or data regarding HBO's efficacy for Candida?
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HBOT probably made my candida worse--the second time around, when I did 2 months of 90 minutes a day, a lot of deep dives, and took no antifungals. The first time I did 30 days of 60 minutes a day and was taking colloidal silver.

I had/have a longstanding problem with systemic fungal isuses and mold issues. Some folks do get worse candida on HBOT because fungi are facultative anaerobes and they switch hit as required. You can kill a lot of competing anaerobes at 2.4 ata. Then the fungi have more room to grow. And if you are taking antibiotics with the hbot you definitely might create a problem. Most people DON'T have this problem but some do. Fungi are killed at about 4.0 ata, not a pressure we can safely go to.

What you can do is take a lot of good probiotics (something like VSL#3, which has 450 billion organisms) and an antifungal Rx or natural during the dives so as to keep the candida in check. In retrospect I would do this. I have a mild chamber now and use it once or twice a week and it doesn't stimulate candida at those pressures/frequencies as far as I can tell. Again, not that many folks have this problem but a few do, and I did. If Kathy is doing h202 IV that should keep the fungi in check, and maybe she can add in some colloidal silver (oral), garlic, caprylic acid, or even just diflucan or sporonox.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Hi all,

I just checked back here to see if anyone could tell me what the answer was with regard to the codes. So I will try that link to see what I can find out.

With regards to Candida and Hyperbaric Oxygen, here is a link where you can find some research on the subject.

http://hbot4u.com/fungallisting.html

Hope that someone can come up with the answer to whether or not it is a covered condition. If not hopefully Kathy can get back to us with the answer [Smile]

Best regards,

Julia

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement