LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » causes of false positive WB IgM?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: causes of false positive WB IgM?
danielb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8522

Icon 5 posted      Profile for danielb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i saw a well known LLMD now who says that my positive IgM from igenex was most likely a false positive due to my complaints being pretty much only fatigue and psychiatric related (no pain). this supports what other doctors have thoroughly already asserted. he has told me to finish the mino course just in case, but after 2 months there has been absolutely no difference. i am now starting to forget taking it. my supplements were starting to help, but he told me in the end they do nothing or harm you, so i quit that. they were only making me speedy anyway. apart from the moments i had previous thought were lymerage i am now i am in bed pretty much the whole day, and on no road to anything improving in my life. my doctor ordered tests and an mri (but the hospital lost the request, so i have to chase them now [Frown] ), but with my luck i can pretty much expect that random tests are not going to give any clues.

on the basis of a positive IgM and how it can often be the one to create false positives and cross-react, does this give me anything else to look at diagnosis and treatment wise? or are there any other particularly promising tests or panels to look at for fatigue/neuropsychiatric problems diagnostically? i am desperate for solution. otherwise this is pretty much the end of my life here.

Posts: 244 | From Ottawa | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I don't believe in false positives. They would be VERY rare.

Can you post the bands which showed up on your test? Were you tested thru Igenex Labs?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LYMESCIENCE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course a good differential diagnosis is important!! Also, depression can cause fatigue, so you may just end up being depressed. HOWEVER, depression occurs 3 times more likely in Lyme than in other comparable diseases according to studies from Fallon.

Just because you are not responding to Minocycline, that means almost nothing. Treatment failures are known to occur with almost every regamine. Also, how much Mino are you taking??

You have to try several different drugs, and combinations before you can say something like no Lyme Disease.

Heck, Brian Fallon had a case of Definate Lyme that didn't respond to the first full month of IV Rocephin. It took 6 months of IV Rocephin to get the kid back from an autistic state to almost normal.

Don't give up, keep fighting. Of course you may not have Lyme, and that's why the differential is important, however, just because you failed to respond to Minocycline, that means almost nothing. There are co-infections, and all kinds of other legitamate scientific reasons why Minocycline may not have worked for you.

Let us help if we can:)

Posts: 559 | From Cary, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel, I'm breaking this up so we can read/comprehend it for us neuro lymes. Please hit enter often and double space between EACH paragraph so we can read it. Thanks so much. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by danielb:

i saw a well known LLMD now who says that my positive IgM from igenex was most likely a false positive due to my complaints being pretty much only fatigue and psychiatric related (no pain).

this supports what other doctors have thoroughly already asserted.

he has told me to finish the mino course just in case, but after 2 months there has been absolutely no difference. i am now starting to forget taking it.

my supplements were starting to help, but he told me in the end they do nothing or harm you, so i quit that. they were only making me speedy anyway.

apart from the moments i had previous thought were lyme rage, i am now i am in bed pretty much the whole day, and on no road to anything improving in my life.

my doctor ordered tests and an mri (but the hospital lost the request, so i have to chase them now [Frown] ), but with my luck i can pretty much expect that random tests are not going to give any clues.

on the basis of a positive IgM and how it can often be the one to create false positives and cross-react,

does this give me anything else to look at diagnosis and treatment wise?

or are there any other particularly promising tests or panels to look at for fatigue/neuropsychiatric problems diagnostically?

i am desperate for solution. otherwise this is pretty much the end of my life here.

Bettyg
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6t5frlane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Igenex does state on their site that some things " can " cross react. Sounds like Chronic fatique syndrome or maybe Fibromyalgia. Some say they are the same thing. Some say there might be a Lyme connection. I too worry about a false positive since I have a positive RA factor. right now I'm so tired I can hardly keep my eyes open after 8 hours of sleep. This stinks!!
Posts: 355 | From NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you post your original results from igenex??

I didnt have hardly any reaction on amoxicillin when I first started abx' but when on ceftin I started herxing. and hered on almost everything after that. Please find and post results of the supposedly false possitive.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badtick33
Member # 9078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badtick33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bringing this to the top - I have the same question!
Posts: 58 | From boston | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danielb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danielb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I have been resting, the heat is making this so much worse. I will post my WB (yes, Igenex) results as soon as I find them. Brb.
Posts: 244 | From Ottawa | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't wait to see your results.

I have been following your posts since they began

(you have the same name and initial as my little brother, who I KNOW has lyme)

Can I give you a clinical dx of lyme [Wink] ?

Are you sure the well known LLMD is for real????

I question some of his statements [Roll Eyes]

lyme x 9

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymex5&counting:
Are you sure the well known LLMD is for real????

I question some of his statements [Roll Eyes]

I agree!!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6t5frlane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well where are the Igenex results danny???
Posts: 355 | From NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IGM positive means your lyme is ACTIVE...

Your clinical symptoms are enough to tell any llmd to treat you...

GET ANOTHER LLMD IMMEDIATELY...the one you have is WRONG.

A person does'nt need ALL the symptoms of lyme to have it...
There's a 78 year old who lives here in my neighborhood who only experiences fatigue...bowen said he has lyme...

Go figure...zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hey Daniel....we'd love to help you.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

cutie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone please explain something to me? I just read the Igenex website explanation fo cross reactions and it said that EBV can cross react and cause a reaction....so if I have epstien barr (i've had mono before) then I may not necessarily have lyme? My IGG was negative and my IGM was IND.

--------------------
Cutie

Posts: 125 | From Atlanta | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme Disease Western Blot
IgG WESTERN BLOT

The IgG Western Blot is a sandwich-type immunoassay performed in a manner that allows visualization of the patient's antibodies. It is a qualitative test and is generally more sensitive and specific than the ELISA. This test must be used if the Lyme IgG/IgM antibody serology is equivocal or positive. The somewhat-specific Lyme antibodies of importance are against the following molecular weights of the B. burgdorferi antigens: 23-25 kDa (Osp C); 31 kDa (Osp A); 34 kDa (Osp B); 39 kDa; 41 kDa; and 83-93 kDa7. "kDa" is the abbreviation for "kilodalton," which is used for molecular weight designations. "Osp" refers to outer surface protein of the bacteria.

There are currently multiple criteria that support a positive blot. "Positive" means that certain antibodies to B. burgdorferi are present. The CDC/ASTPHLD criteria are very conservative, require 5 of 10 bands (antibodies) for a positive result, and do not recognize equivocal or borderline results.8,9 These criteria would be more appropriate for a formal clinical study during early Lyme disease.

IGeneX has several years of clinical data that support more liberal reporting criteria.10 In addition, current studies show that the CDC/ASTPHLD criteria miss some patients with culture-proven erythema migrans (EM).5,11 Both the IGeneX and the CDC/ASTPHLD criteria are included on the IGeneX report form sent to the physician. 3,5,8,9

The Western Blot involves a highly complex visual determination of protein bands, based on their molecular weights and intensities. The IGeneX report form provides an interpretation along with the results in detail.

A positive IgG result with clinical history may be indicative of Lyme disease. Patients with other spirochetal disease and/or who test positive for rheumatoid factor or Epstein Barr virus may have cross-reacting antibodies. A positive response in this, as in any antibody assay, indicates sensitization, not necessarily active disease. 12

Figure 4. Significant antibodies detected by Western Blot (Lane 1 has kDa marker proteins)

IgM WESTERN BLOT

The IgM Western Blot is a very sensitive indicator of exposure to B. burgdorferi. It may be positive as early as one week after a tick bite, and will usually remain positive for six to eight weeks after the initial exposure. Re-exposure and recurrent disease also cause this test to be positive for a period of time. For the testing to be complete, the IgM blot should be run along with the IgG blot. However, for economic reasons, the IgG blot may be run first: when the IgG blot is negative, the IgM blot should be performed.

The antibody specificities of importance for the IgM blot are similar to those for the IgG blot (with the exception of 83-93 kDa, which is still being investigated for significance). The CDC/ASTPHLD criteria for a positive result are two of the following three bands: 23-25 kDa (Osp C); 39 kDa; and/or 41 kDa.8,9 IGeneX adds the 31 kDa (Osp A), and/or the 34 kDa (Osp B) to the criteria,10,12 with the argument that these two antigens are used for the vaccines and therefore their antibodies should be included in the interpretation of positivity. The IgM Western blot is often positive in patients with persistent infection.6 Sometimes it is the only antibody marker detected.

When the IgM ELISA is equivocal or positive, the IgM Western blot must be performed. In addition, because the literature suggests that rheumatoid conditions may lead to false positive IgM antibody responses, an ANA/DNA/rheumatoid factor screen may be ordered to rule out false positive reactions. Patients testing positive with serologic tests for syphilis may also test positive for the Lyme antibody tests.13-15

A positive IgM result with clinical history may be indicative of early Lyme disease or persistent infection in otherwise serologically negative individuals. Recently reported data support our observation that some Lyme patients may have only a restricted IgM response to B. burgdorferi. 16,17

Similar to the IgG Western blot, the IgM Western blot involves a highly complex visual determination of protein bands, based on their molecular weights and intensities. For both tests, IGeneX uses multiple negative controls to serve as baselines for comparison to positive responses.

The IGeneX report form provides an interpretation along with the results in detail.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

treepatrol, thanks for the info. I have questioned in the past the problem with a positive Epstein Barr or positive RA factor and I see it listed in the IGG section explanantion. Does this also pertain to the IGM ? I have had a Neg IGG but POS IGM and have a positive RA Factor
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Danielb

I agree with lymetoo in that false positives are VERY rare.

And lymeScience is correct in that there are many strains of BB and people have to find the right abx that can target their strain.

I have been on many many different abx over the years and can vuoche for this. I have taken some abx and it did nada. Where others I have been on I have herxed and gotton better.

Lyme is a very complex disease and needs an experienced LLMD who knows what he is doing.

Knows how to treat with different abx and when one isn't working to try another. And know's how to approach the co-infections.

Before you throw in the towel, I would get a second opinion from a another LLMD. Dr. fallon treats neuropsychiatric Lyme.

Here is a webb site to go to to hear Dr. Fallon give a talk on neuropsychiatric lyme:

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/nyspi/lymevid/lyme-fr.html

Here is a good webb site on lyme fatigue:

http://www.lymeinfo.net/fatigue.html

hang in there. There is always hope [group hug]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry double post

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ALSO do NOT have any form of pain. Just a stiff neck, fatigue, brainfog and mild depression/anxiety- THEY ALL FLUCTUATE THROUGHOUT THE DAY!! Sometimes I feel almost entirely normal.

Oh and my babs symptom of getting really hot and flushed from the inside- rarely happens now.

Remember this disease effects everyone differently. My best bet is you have lyme.
The chances of a false positive I have heard are extremely rare.
goodluck!

Posts: 170 | From Vancouver | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point that has to be remembered here is that:
It is IgM only,
there are no other Lyme specific symtoms,

a well known and knowledgable LLMD has indicated
that he does nto think it is Lyme

and the treatment thus far has had zero effect.

If I were in your position I would start looking for some other cause.

I would first start by trying to find objective signs of a disease process. Imaging is quite useful in this case, MRI, SPECT and PET. Of these modalities, if there is a clearly organic problem it should show some sign (even a small sign) of abnormallity. Once thsi sign in found then you can start to narrow the causes.

There are other tests for CFS that some claim can be used which measure things like blood volume, this is another option.

If there has been no response to antibiotics, I would start thinking viral, auto immuue, or parsite for the fatigue. These may have some effect on psychiatric aspects but I don;t know enough to comment on this.

There are a lot of causesof phychiratric problems but this an area that I know very little about.

In trying to figure out if it is a infective disease or a auto immune , the use of a short course of steriod (like prednisone) might give some clues based on the responce. If there is no reponse, I would tend to think of a non-organic cause. There are a lot of non-organic neurological diseases which can be treated, the big problem is you don't want to the treated for one of these if you have something else, so you want to make sure that the other diagnostic avenues have been exhausted.

It sounds like the possible lyme diagnosis has turned out to be a dead end. With this the next step is to review everything that has been done to date and try to figure out what are the missing pieces, fill them in and see how they fit with the next disease on the list of differentials.

Lyme is not the cause of every undiagnosible ailment and to think so and promote this concept is doing a dis-service to the lyme community as well as the Dr's who treat Lyme disease. One has to remember that the Dr's who down play and are actively aggresive to LLMD's get ALL their information from the LLMD patients.

I understand that you are now in a state of "now what,if anything", still the diagnostic techniques used to zero in on a lyme diagnosis can be used to find the acutal cause. Keep in mind that a LLMD is experienced in many areas and can probably help or at least give referals to good Dr's who can help you continue the search.

Good luck in your search, and don't waste time trying to rehash the facts leading to the dead end on the lyme diagnosis. If it is a missed case of Lyme it will turn up at a later stage in the search but for now I would not waste any time in trying to make Lyme fit where your experienced LYME Dr's don't think it fits. Use your resources in trying to figure out what it might actually be.

Some may (read that WILL) disagree with what I say but based on your short post I think it is time to gather the intiative to continue your search, there are unfortunately, pletty of diseases to go around....

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danielb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danielb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am sorry i abandoned this. it was extremely warm in my apartment, and my computer kept shutting off. i am having trouble doing everything. i have been trying to see doctors, and keep getting the 'i don't see whats legitimately wrong with you' shoulder shrugs. i am about to give up. i feel like if i dont kill myself, i am going to kill someone else. i feel like i am losing my mind. the only think i can do is destroy my apartment and yell and scream at my cat. i don't want to be this person and everyone loves watching me like this and get to tell me "it is nothing, have a nice life"

i do not how to do anything. i complete at most 2 things a day and even those a practically ruined by some complication of what i cannot finish trying to do what i am doing. i can only at most do 2-3 step tasks. this is terrible. i used to be computer literate, extremely computer literate now i can just stare, practically.

my results are somewhere on the computer. i cannot look around me, i am a hoarder and my place is a mess. i do not know what to do with this. i foumd them: IGM POSITIVE 23-25 ++, 31 +++, 34 IND, 39 IND, 41 +, 58 +, 66 +
IGM NEGATIVE (not even equivoical) 31 IND, 39 IND, 41 ++, 58 +
PCR plain negative

lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David....

Your advice to do steroids is insane!
Your self admitted ignorance of psychiatric manifestations caused by infections should be enough to tell Dan that you don't know what you're talking about!

Dan, Look kiddo...your LLMD is nutso! Get another one pronto......
Minocyclin is the least effective of the two being doxy.....I believe it's a first generation abx....

A whole lot of folks here have given you advice....follow it....except Davids....

Yes, it would be nice not to have lyme....but it sounds like that's what you have....
Try some other abx.....and see what reaction you get......

I still have'nt gotten rid of all my fatigue....ten years into treatment.....now I'm dealing with diabetes....

However my western blots still come back positive IGG and IGM....sometimes both sometimes one or the other sometimes neither....

The spinal taps are pretty much useless in this disease....unless you're just trying to rule out other diseases....this test may tell your neurologist that you don't have lyme either....

except that lyme isn't found in the CSF....

Get another doctor QUICK......or tell the one you have to get his head out of his a@@.......zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Daniel.

I'm sorry you are feeling so low.

I'm with Lymie Tony here.

MANY people -- most, in fact, have Epstein Barr. Pay it no mind. As to RA factor, a whole lotta lymies have that too, but that doesn't mean they don't have lyme.

Looking at your western blot, it would be right impossible to think you don't have lyme.

Your IGM is screamin' positive.

Your IgG has weak positives at 31 and 39 -- borrelia-specific bands.

Now, I'm sorry, but this doesn't look to me like a "false positive" blot.

I don't know who this "well known LLMD" is, but like others here I get a little nervous when supposed LLMD's start talking about 'false positives' from IGeneX. I get a little nervouser (I made that word up) when they start a patient off on minocycline, and I get a case of outright goosebumps when they are tossing in the towel in two months.

It is WELL within the accepted range of lyme symptoms to present with fatigue, confusion, inability to organize, rage, and psychiatric stuff. You don't hafta have pain.

I agree it's a very good idea to continue to run tests, MRI's, etc. to rule out other conditions if that will make you more secure in your diagnosis. However, I seriously think you need another doctor. I'll bet a second opinion would shock you.

(And hopefully set you on a path to recovery.)

A hug from an ex Goofy Newfie from Newfoundland,

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Hi Daniel

I am sorry you are having a rough time.

There are MANY other antibiotics that work besides the minio.. You just have to try and find one that works.

I know this thread is about false positive tests... This is very rare. The tests at present are not that reliable. A diagnosis should be made on clinical symptoms and history. And some tests to exclude other diseases. IMHO, your test scream's positive.

I though you might find this interesting. Not to confuse you further but to show that the tests are not to be engraved in stone.

******At the bottom of a WB the CDC "Diagnosis should not be based on laboratory tests alone. results should be interpreted in conjuction with clinical symptoms and patient history"******

[ 24. June 2006, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: 5dana8 ]

--------------------
5dana8

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Daniel, I agree with Michelle that your test is positive! You have several Lyme-specific bands. Nothing else could have made them show positive!!

I hope you can find a REAL dr, as this "LLMD" is NOT one in my opinion!

Your bands:

IGM 23-25 ++, 31 +++, 34 IND, 39 IND, 41 +, 58 +, 66 +
IGM 31 IND, 39 IND, 41 ++, 58 +

Western Blot explanation:
http://tinyurl.com/ffn3x

From the above link:

"Because Borrelia burgdorferi is a chronic persistent infection that may last for decades, you would think patients with chronic symptoms would have positive IgG Western blots.

But actually, more IgM blots are positive in chronic borreliosis than IgG. Every time Borrelia burgdorferi reproduces itself, it may stimulate the immune system to form new IgM antibodies. Some patients have both IgG and IgM blots positive. But if either the IgG or IgM blot is positive, overall it is a positive result."

Also from the link by Dr C of MO:

"In my clinical experience, if a patient has symptoms suspicious for borreliosis, and has one or more of the following bands, there is a very high probability the patient has borreliosis.

These bands are 18, 22, 23-25, 28, 30, 31, 34, 37, 39, 41, 83, and 93. This is true regardless of whether it is IgG or IgM.."

And you also have bands 34 and 39 as "IND" ... Dr C calls that a "weak positive"....

It all boils down to LYME in my opinion.

Please find a new doctor!!!!!! I know you're exhausted and frustrated, but you sound very much like a Lyme patient. The hoarding, the rages, the depression, and the fatigue are pretty good indicators to me. Especially since the drs can't find anything else to explain those problems.

Don't give up!!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
False positive WB is possible when blood was accidently mixed with a blood sample of another person.
And that is the only one I can imagine.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danielb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8522

In a doctor's office I always seem like a hypochondriac trying to con for treatment I don't need, and just given the impression that I read too much. I have even been diagnosed with personality disorders because of this.

He has been doing all he can. He ordered the MRI. He told me to keep taking the medication in case it may miraclously start working. His hunch is though that I don't have it. He does have a pragmatic view of neuropsychiatric lyme, and that could be making his view seem like that even if I do have it, don't expect to get much better. There is no Columbia University in Canada, and requesting a picc line, making a claim for months worth of thousands of dollars of IV Rocephin is just going to get you some unfriendly reprimanding phone calls and some threats against your licence.

Aside from that the IgM is unfortunately the one most likely to give false positives and cross-reactions. I have found documentation on this. He said himself that they are rare (false positves), but my clinical presentation simply doesn't scream a Lyme diagnosis.

Thank you for supporting me, but he has helped countless people in Canada, and has a good reputation. I can't be on the internet to trash him. He ordered the MRI and around 15 vials for blood tests. That's a lot more than any other doctor has been willing to do for me. I am angry that no doctor has tried to everything possible to do what may help including things like electroconvulsive therapy. With my life, if i was able to do things, I wouldnt care if the cure involved cutting off my legs, or shortening the rest of my life to two years. But if I got rid of this doctor, the luck that I've had knocking door to door with doctor's tell me that I would just be abandoning myself, and I am literally helpless here.

danielb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8522

Again, I just want to say that I am very grateful for peoples' support. I do not mean to be ungrateful.
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steroids are strongly contraindicated in Lyme.

Your western blot is positive. Band 31 alone is enough.

What state do you live in-can you find a support group thru the link here?

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Daniel, I agree with Michelle that your test is positive! You have several Lyme-specific bands. Nothing else could have made them show positive!!
=========================
Your bands:
IGM 23-25 ++, 31 +++, 34 IND, 39 IND, 41 +, 58 +, 66 +
IGM 31 IND, 39 IND, 41 ++, 58 +

Western Blot explanation:
http://tinyurl.com/ffn3x

From the above link:

"Because Borrelia burgdorferi is a chronic persistent infection that may last for decades, you would think patients with chronic symptoms would have positive IgG Western blots.

But actually, more IgM blots are positive in chronic borreliosis than IgG. Every time Borrelia burgdorferi reproduces itself, it may stimulate the immune system to form new IgM antibodies. Some patients have both IgG and IgM blots positive. But if either the IgG or IgM blot is positive, overall it is a positive result."

Also from the link by Dr C of MO:

"In my clinical experience, if a patient has symptoms suspicious for borreliosis, and has one or more of the following bands, there is a very high probability the patient has borreliosis.

These bands are 18, 22, 23-25, 28, 30, 31, 34, 37, 39, 41, 83, and 93. This is true regardless of whether it is IgG or IgM.."

And you also have bands 34 and 39 as "IND" ... Dr C calls that a "weak positive"....

It all boils down to LYME in my opinion.

===========================

Don't give up!!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YAH, but there IS hardly any Lyme Disease in Canada, right? Or at least that is what the government up there says.

Kind of like MANY states here in the states. MUST be in your head.

Here in Wisconsin, the 2nd highest state in the union with Lyme, there are only two LLMD's, and one of them won't take any new patients. So HOW can we expect a guy to find another LLMD way up in a country that thinks there is almost no Lyme up there?

I am not familiar with the IGeneX results, but glad you all discussed them, gives me an education.

It is my understanding that they test for antigens, right?

DOES BOWEN Labs test for the LIVE Lyme b. spirochete? Or do they look for the antigens also?

AND how much more expensive is it to test for Babs at the same time at IGeneX?

AND does IGeneX test for Erlichia and Bartonella also? IF so, how much? Thanks.

Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

DOES BOWEN Labs test for the LIVE Lyme b. spirochete? Or do they look for the antigens also?

AND how much more expensive is it to test for Babs at the same time at IGeneX?

AND does IGeneX test for Erlichia and Bartonella also? IF so, how much? Thanks.

I believe Bowen looks for the live keets. To test for babs and Lyme at Igenex, it's around $200. Each is about $90, I think.

The other tests are probably $90 each also....not sure.

Check here:

www.igenex.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you were having absolutly NO Symptoms I would say you can have have a false positive. But I would have to agree with what everyone else has said IT IS EXTREMELY RARE! You WB looks very positive! I would have an LLMD go over your symptoms after all it is a clinical diagnosis.

Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danielb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8522

Icon 5 posted      Profile for danielb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
would one way to know for sure is take IV Rocephin for a month, as most people notice something after that it seems, if i find some magic way to get the drug?
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel, IV means intravenous. Please don't even think about taking intravenous anything without medical supervision. There are plenty of patients who got well on combinations of oral antibiotics/antifungals only, but there is no one cure-all.

It sounds to me like your doctor is not up on those protocols, or on the fact that most patients present with ONE objective finding (such as a positive test) and many subjective ones (which depend on the patient describing them).

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Why don't you just try a round or two of oral antibiotics? You can beat this thing with orals.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Thomas Parkman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas Parkman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Dan,

First I must say that you need to get yourself to a lyme literate doctor and fast. just because somebody puts a sign outside his office door that he is an LLMD does not mean he is a LLMD.

Second, this business about testing is a confused and confusing mess. Suffice it to say you are not "normal". That is you do have symptoms and you have all those positive WB bands from IGenex, just about the best lab in the country. Now would you mind explaining to me just what are you doing having all those symptoms, ie the fatigue, aniety, thoughts of suicide, mental confusion etc and those positive bands????

I will tell you. 31 kDa is specific for OspA or OspB, I cannot off the top of my head remeber which. OspA is outer surface protein A on the membrane of a spirochaete and was formed in the spirochaete when it was living inside a tick, which is why it has that particular protein in the first place. Now what are you doing with a protein in your body that is also found on a bug and indeed is essential for that bug to live inside a tick? Forget all the nonsense from those idiots at the CDC. You have Lyme disease. Get thee to a competent doctor and get antibiotics but be aware that they may or may not work. Good luck. Thomas Parkman

--------------------
Thomas Parkman

Posts: 341 | From Columbia SC 29206 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement