LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » have your antibiotics caused other problems??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: have your antibiotics caused other problems??
geniveve
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am on 1500 of amoxy every day. i understand that antibiotics kill off everything both good and bad.

well so far since i've started the amoxy, i've had 3 vaginal infections, strep throat, and now i've got thrush........

so how do you keep your immune system working properly when you are taking antibiotics and killing off everything?

I'm taking a ton of vitamins and noni (geez, that stuff tasts awful!!!) but I am still having problems.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Start with:

1. a prescription anti-yeast drug like nystatin or diflucan,

2. an herbal extract that contains berberine like coptis or goldenseal,

3. liver support supplements like milk thistle, NAC, schizandra (this is one of the most powerful, but I've only taken it in herbal mixtures and don't know if it works when taken by itself) and phosphatidylcholine to take some stress off your overtaxed liver,and

4. real probiotics, the $25 ones that contain many different flora, at dosages of 15 billion per capsule.

The outrageous cost of all these supplements will give you superhuman powers to find a Lyme cure quickly, ultimately saving you money by shortening the length of time you are sick.

geniveve
Unregistered

uh, what's a probiotic??? is that a vitamin??
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry you are going thru this.

Me too :-( one vaginal infection after another.

ya know its one of the friggin lyme symptoms its on the list....ugh.

Probiotics alone wont do it.

i took antifungals and that didnt work, infact my yeast is resistant to the diflucan.

I would strongly suggest the no carb no sugar..anti yeast diet.

i went off it eating a lot of stuff i shouldnt have and im paying very badly right now. The diet is the easiest thing you can do.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way to keep the yeast at bay is DIET, DIET, DIET...add in plenty of Nystatin and/or Diflucan, and TONS of probiotics.

I can't believe your dr didn't tell you about the yeast. [well, actually I CAN...because you're not the first person here who wasn't told]

Candida diet and elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html
http://www.wholeapproach.com/diet/
Lyme symptoms list compared with yeast symptoms
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021202.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geniveve
Unregistered

actually my doc never mentioned anything, except, here take this cause you're allergic to everything else. not one peep about herxes, what to do, side effects, diet, nutrition, nuttin, nada, zilch.

i'm basically having to learn everything from ya'll about probiotics, vitamins, what to do.

what a mess...........

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious if you have a llmd.

If you want you can start a thread and You can ask others what probotics work best for them - I have been through a slew of them - I've had some work for awhile then not work.

I take culturelle and bifobotics. I would ask your dr. before you take them - its kinda alot of probotics but it works for me. I buy mine at the vitamin shop -

I also get most my other vitamins and what not there - I have found there price to be cheaper than ordering directly from the manufacturer.

Best wishes

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to mention you can also get c. diff (which is short for a word I can't remember how to spell)

Not nearly as many people seem to get this as yeast though. I think I was on abx 3 years before I got it.

Symptoms include vomitting fever and diarhea. I'm just telling you so that if you start expereincing these things you may want to be tested. - of course other things can produce the same symptoms - like the flu... but at least u will know its a possibility.

--------------------

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can find the info on probiotics by doing a search here. Click on the word "search" at the top of this page. It's been discussed many times.

here's info from the link above,,,don't forget to check out the diet plan above also!!

Five Steps to Candida Elimination:

1. You must starve it into submission by eliminating its food source.

2. You must kill it with anti-fungal herbs and supplements. [e.g....garlic, onion, caprylic acid, Pau D'Arco capsules or tea, clove, grapefruit seed extract, olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, tea tree oil, Echinacea, Goldenseal, black walnut, MSM, barberry root, uva ursi, neem leaf, biotin]

3. You must reestablish the proper balance and quantity of probiotic bacteria in the digestive tract. [...multi-strain lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus capsules with FOS should be taken between meals to maximize repopulation of the digestive tract by beneficial bacteria.]

4. You must reestablish proper levels of all B vitamins (yeast free) and utilize other immune enhancing supplements to boost immune system function. [e.g ... B complex vitamins (yeast free), biotin, beta 1-3 glucan, colostrum, maitake mushroom, vitamins A, C, E, zinc and selenium]

5. You must cleanse and heal the digestive tract to promote proper elimination of toxins and Candida and assimilation of nutrients. [e.g...chlorophyll, MSM, omega 3 fatty acids found in flax seed and salmon oils, GLA found in borage, evening primrose and black currant oils. Pantothenic acid, digestive enzymes between meals]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymefighter7
Member # 9224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymefighter7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do any of you think that our intestinal track will ever be right again? It seems like ya cant do this and ya cant do that and you only can do this.
Posts: 47 | From WV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I've been off abx since last Sept and I'm still working on it!! I hear it will take at least a year after going off the abx.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what workes for me. When I do this I'm fine, no yeast infections, itching, or digestive problems. If I don't do these I start to have a problem pretty quickly.

Anti Yeast Diet: www.wholeapproach.com
For me it was essential to cut out ALL sugar, fruit, flour, grain (except a little rice occasionally). I stayed very strict for a year and then was able to ease up.

Theralac (not threelac) www.theralac.com I used other probiotics before this, but none come close to this one. It enabled me to start eating more foods again and also completely stopped vaginal irritaion/yeast.

I take 1 Theralac before bed (at least 2 hours after antibiotics. Now that I am doing well I alternate with Primadophilus Reuteri (every other night) to keep the cost down.

If I eat the wrong thing and my tongue gets coated I sprinkle some Primal Defense powder on it.

Yogurt & inexpensive probiotics just don't cut it.

Get serious about fighting yeast. It can get really nasty.
hatsnscarfs

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillybean
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillybean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, most likely. I was on 2g IV Rocephin & 1500mg Flagyl daily for almost 4 months, and I developed peripheral neuropathy in my feet. It is a well known side effect of Flagyl.

All my abx and PICC was pulled 2 months ago, and nothing has changed. My LLMD sent me to a neuro
duck, we're still in the middle of testing.

I guess it's the chance we take when we find someone so willing to give us massive ammounts of abx to try and fight this disease.

So, in answer to your question, yes, my antibiotics have caused other problems, and the nerve pain is unbearable.

I wish you healthy healing,
Jill

Posts: 203 | From Jacksonville, FLorida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too developed peripheral neuropathy after 10 mos oral flagyl. I used a photonic stimulator (near infrared light) and the symptom resolved gradually over time.
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I bought Theralac last week...so far so good!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am asking of the two previous posts in this thread about flagyl and neuropathy. I took flagyl for a long time, and then when my dose was increased, I ended up with severe neuropathy the won't go away.

What can I do. I am afraid of any antibiotics, so I am coasting on low dose biaxin and mepron (for babesia).

What can I do. I have posted several times on lymenet, hoping for something that will turn this around for me, but haven't had any luck.

I am very blue.

Posts: 1032 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a total of 8 months IV and 11 years orals in the last 12 years and the only problem has been occational yeast flare up.

The abx has brought my life back so many times.
I have taken breaks along the way. I guess you could say pulsing.

Lyme disease and the co's compromise your immune system. My immune system was sub par before I started any treatments. I strongly believe by reducing my germ load my immune system has returned to noraml.

I think detoxing while on abx is really important and taking immune system supps to help prop it up has helped me alot.

You may want to do a search here on detox methods and immune system supports

Take care

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Like dana abx have helped my immune system. my immune system is better than it was a couple years ago. A couple years ago if someone in the house had something I was going to get it..... at least once.

And it took awhile for me to get rid of it - and sometimes as soon as I got rid of it I would catch it again.

Now I might get it... but two people were sick with two different things at the same time and I didn't get either one.

Also when I used to get sick my lyme symptoms would get soooooooooooooooo much worse - I would feel like I was dying. now they just get some worse.

Best wishes

--------------------

DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymewreck,

The photonic stimulator has a very high success rate eliminating peripheral neuropathy. I wouldn't ever want to be without mine. It helps with many other things as well and is non-invasive.

Contact the manufacturer, Bales Scientific, for more info by googling. Call and inquire about practitioners in your area. Or you can purchase a machine like I did. I bought a used machine from a local practitioner.

Whatever you decide, I hope you find relief very soon. I know how awful this symptom can be.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The antibiotics are definitely helping me, but I also augment them with a number of supplements and a good, very high-grade probiotic.

To me, the quality of the probiotic can be the difference between keeping the yeast at-bay and having it overwhelm my system.

As others have said, diet is also critical.

Hope this helps and hope you're able to find some relief soon!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement