LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bicillin and Migraines

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bicillin and Migraines
riversinger
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My migraines are starting to come back, and I'm NOT happy. [Frown]

I finished treatment for Bartonella two months ago, and have been on Bicillin injections ever since, once a week. I also had to wean down the Topamax I have been successfully using to control the migraines, because it was throwing off my electrolyte levels.

We thought this would be OK, because I hadn't had a migraine in 10 months. And, it seemed to be, until a couple of weeks ago. But I had a really bad respiratory flu that seemed to throw everything out of whack, and now the migraines are back full force.

I've been switched to Zonegran to replace the Topamax, but I'm still ramping up on that, and can't tell yet if it will work. Meantime, I'm wondering if the once a week Bicillin is not strong enough, or whether something else is going on.

Any thoughts? I sent off an email to my LLMD, to see what we can do. I just wonder if anyone found Bicillin helped with migraines, or if I need to add something else in.

These migraines STARTED in the middle of treatment for seronegative Babesia. I never had ANY improvement during months of treatment for Babesia, only continuous worsening, and during that time had some permanent damage to my optic nerves, so am thinking Babesia is not the culprit.

Thanks!

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that 1 shot of bicillin a week is enough for anything. Dr B says 3 to 4 a week for lyme. But bicillin doesn't have much effect on Bart envivo anyways. Do you think that you may still have it?

What do you think got rid of the headaches to begin with, was it Bart Tx? You were treating Bart for a long time weren't you? Was it 10 months? I wouldn't be surprised if you still had it even tho the test was negative. It's such a ***** to get rid of!

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Micul,

I agree, once a week is low, but my LLMD, a big name in ILADS, commonly uses this dose, though sometimes he goes up.

I wasn't having the migraines for a long time before I started the Bart treatment, because the Topamax was so effective. Topamax, however, only treats symptoms, not the cause. Usually if you go six months without a headache, they wean you off anyway. We waited longer, because we didn't want to upset things, especially with a bad SPECT. The electroltye problem pushed our hand.

I treated Bartonella for 7 months, and had two negative tests before we stopped treatment. No guarrantees, though, with these infections, so Bartonella is one thing I worry about.

--------------------
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Porsche
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Porsche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey River S.

I'm on Bicillin twice a week. I can't make a correlation with migranes because "Thank God" I've never had that Sx. It's weird how they started with Babs Tx for you? I would like to say That I don't think that 1 shot a week is enough tho.

I was hoping that I could only do 1 a week, but I quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to be enough. I think that even the people that have been on them for over a year are still getting 2 or 3 a week.

What else are you taking...Tini or flagyl for cysts I hope? It sounds like your headaches are back just because of stopping the Topamax. Hope it works out for you

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Bicillin once a week and noticed after a couple of months the migraines had dramatically decreased, practically to zero.

After about 9 months of weekly shots, went off abx. and relapsed within a couple of months.

Out of all abx treatments so far, felt best overall (energy, etc.) while on weekly Bicillin shots.

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Hmmm..... Tabby, I'm glad to hear the Bicillin worked for you on your migraines. Are you thinking about starting again?

It seems like the consensus, here and on my support group, is that once a week is usually not enough. I'm hoping that my LLMD will either up my dose, or add something like a macrolide or cyst buster, but haven't heard back yet.

Porsche, how could you tell that once a week wasn't enough for you? You ARE lucky not to have the migraines, believe me!

--------------------
[email protected]

Porsche
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Porsche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RS.

I only went 2 weeks on one shot because I wasn't getting much of a reaction at that dose. I had emailed another lymnetter about her shots because she said in a post a few months before that Her Dr believed that one a week was sufficient. But she wasn't making much progress after 2 months on just one, so she went to two a week.

From all the posts that I have read on bicillin over the last year, it seems pretty clear that one is just not enough. Two may not be enough either, but It's all that I'm willing to do at this point. I wish that one was enough. It would make it so much easier. I don't think that Dr B would be having his patients do 3 a week if he didn't have evidence that it was needed?

So you're just on one bicillin shot a week, and that's it? No other abx?

[ 14. June 2006, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Porsche ]

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Hi Porsche,

Yep, just the Bicillin. I have a genetic problem with extremely aggressive treatment, so even if my doc would, I could never take as many meds as you. I could add one of them, and possibly do an increase in dose with Bicillin, but not everything at once.

I found I need to tread a fine line between something aggressive enough to make improvement, without tipping me too far into the territory of extreme toxicity.

--------------------
[email protected]

tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by riversinger:

It seems like the consensus, here and on my support group, is that once a week is usually not enough.

I read the same info when I was started on just one a week. But maybe it's because I had already received two years of oral abx treatment ?

Yes, I would like to do bicillin again after treating Babs.

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did one shot of bicillin a week for six months. Nothing else rxd at the time. I herxed the most on this abx, but also made the most progress by far. I skipped a week or two (maybe three) sometimes to slow down the herxing, progress was not compromised.

Perhaps dosage depends on germ load, size and weight of patient, immune system status? Just guessing.

Once I discontinued the bicillin, there was no relapse, thankfully.

Riversinger, I remember talking to you when I first started the bicillin. The herxes were almost intolerable, you may remember.

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time.

Can you tell us what you took for the babesia that started these migraines? Perhaps there is a clue there.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Hi Dolpin Lady!

Yes, I remember talking to you when you were doing Bicillin, though I didn't remember your dose. Glad things have stayed good for you. You went through a lot to get there.

I just heard from my doctor last night, and I am to increase the Bicillin to twice a week, and add Zithromax. We'll see how that does. I wish I thought it has been herxing, but I really don't think so.

As far as what I did for Babesia, I tried Artemesinin, Mepron and Zith, and IV silver. Each one worse than the last. I don't really know if the meds caused the migrianes, or if it was more a matter of not treating the infection that was really causing them.

Very hard to say, as the AEDs have been apparently controlling them all this time. My concern, though, is not to have any more damage to my brain or optic nerve by not treating the correct infection.

--------------------
[email protected]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement