LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme NOT Curable?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme NOT Curable?
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the latest INTERESTING article posted by LymeInfo.

IF this is true, I guess I am on the right protocol since it is the least evasive and least side affects.

Jim [Cool]
###

Lyme Disease in its advanced stages is not curable, but "it is
manageable," said Vogan. She explained that sufferers are treated
with antibiotics such as Doxycycline and typically go through
periods of remission in which their symptoms are not obvious."
====

http://www.kinston.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?
Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=36996&Section=Local

The Free Press
Kinston NC
June 10, 2006

Lyme Disease affects the lives of local residents
June 10,2006
ROBIN CLAYTON
STAFF WRITER

Nine years ago, Stephanie Tyndall had never had so much as a
headache. Healthy and ambitious, she rarely had a reason to go to
her family physician.

All that changed in the summer of 1997 when Tyndall suddenly came
down with an illness that, even after numerous visits to doctors and
emergency rooms, remained nameless.

"While preparing for a trip with a friend to visit friends in Utah,
I began to feel tired, fatigued," said Tyndall.

Tyndall already had a doctor's appointment about a suspicious-
looking spot on her left shoulder so when she went for that visit,
she mentioned her new symptoms. The doctor, whose identity Tyndall
did not disclose, told her the spot was nothing to worry about and
diagnosed her with a sinus infection.

After two months of being misdiagnosed by multiple doctors and even
told her illness was in her head, Tyndall finally got her answer in
August 1997 when she tested positive for Lyme Disease and Lyme
Meningitis.

"I knew my body well enough to know that something just wasn't
right," said Tyndall.

Lyme Disease is a tick-borne illness that affects thousands of
Americans every year. According to the Centers of Disease Control
and Prevention, 122 North Carolinians were diagnosed with the
disease in 2004.

Sue Vogan, author and Lyme Disease advocate in La Grange, has
written a book and conducts a weekly radio show about the disease.
Also diagnosed with Lyme Disease in 1997, Vogan makes it her mission
to educate people on the condition. She said knowledge of the
disease is not widespread and hopes to change that through advocacy.

"It's very hard disease to diagnose," said Vogan, explaining that
the symptoms of Lyme Disease are similar to those of other diseases
including multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease and Alzheimer's.

Both Tyndall and Vogan still suffer from the affects of Lyme
Disease., the most frustrating being what Vogan referred to as "Lyme
fog," or short-term memory lost and confusion.

"You forget your address, your phone number, even your best friend's
name," said Vogan, whose Lyme Disease has led to a heart attack and
her having to get her gall bladder removed.

Lyme Disease in its advanced stages is not curable, but "it is
manageable," said Vogan. She explained that sufferers are treated
with antibiotics such as Doxycycline and typically go through
periods of remission in which their symptoms are not obvious.

Since getting her diagnosis almost nine years ago, Tyndall has
regained her life. Living in Deep Run with her parents, she works in
the registration part of Lenoir Memorial Hospital and is going to
Lenoir Community College for nursing. She is also trying to start a
support group for other Lyme Disease sufferers.

Lyme Disease can be a debilitating disease, but Tyndall and Vogan
both say that having a positive attitude can affect the outcome.

"When life hands you Lyme's [sic], make Lymeade," said Tyndall,
quoting a saying from an article she read about a Lyme Disease
patient. "Life has chosen to give me Lyme's [sic] and I have chosen
to make Lymeade."

Robin Clayton can be reached at (252) 527-3191 ext. 273 or
[email protected]

Pullouts:

For more information:

- Vogan's radio show, In Short Order, is broadcast every Thursday at
9 p.m. EST and can be heard on www.highway2health.net

- Check out http://www.aldf.com/index.shtml for the American Lyme
Disease Foundation's Website

- To learn more about the support group Tyndall is forming, e-mail
her at [email protected]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALDF????? They are wolves in sheep's clothing. Mr Fish Head is on the board of directors.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too true, tutu.

Methinks the reporter added that link. It reminds me that when I talk to a reporter or write an article, I should make suggestions about what might go into a sidebar. Newspapers love those little boxes, very eye-catching.

But if we don't tell them what might be good to go in there, they will Google "Lyme disease" and get the CDC, ALDF, etc. They have to work fast, so most will welcome it if we help them out a little....

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corgilla
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corgilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey JimBob,

Many believe that it isn't cureable. This is not proven or disproven. It just seems like that's what happens.

You can beat it down but how can you rid yourself of that one borrelia that is sitting in you left scapula for 2 months and decides to come out and replicate when you think you're cured?

That's why it's being said that Lyme isn't cureable.

Corgilla

--------------------
"I'll never forget good old Whatsisname."

Posts: 694 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there were a definitive test for Lyme disease, there would be no question about whether some one has it or not (diagnosis) or whether someone is cured or not.

Currently, there is no definitive test. Therefore, we really don't know if someone is "cured."

We can all hope for feeling well again though.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cured 100% as in zero borrelia left in the body - probably not. Cured as in remission and your life back with little or no symptoms - yes.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newdurham77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newdurham77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heart-attack from lyme? I have not seen this before - is that accurate?
Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not heard of a heart attack from lyme persay.

HOWEVER, my herx to starting IM bicillin put me in the ER with tachycardia for many hours. The ER doc had no idea why my heart was so irritable. (I knew, and I told him). I would not have been surprised at all if my heart hadn't gone into cardiac arrest during that time. 3 1/2 hours of a heart rate of 150 BPM is a lot for a heart to take.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heart attack might be from Chlamydia bacteria......a spin off from Lyme?

Chicken or egg? I dunno......

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOWEVER, my herx to starting IM bicillin put me in the ER with tachycardia for many hours. The ER doc had no idea why my heart was so irritable. (I knew, and I told him). I would not have been surprised at all if my heart hadn't gone into cardiac arrest during that time. 3 1/2 hours of a heart rate of 150 BPM is a lot for a heart to take.

Timaca "

yes -

i have heard that lyme disease can disrupt the electrical system in the heart and cause
cardiomyopathy, palpitations. See this link
http://a2a38.a2hosting.com//lyme/page6.html

"Cardiac involvement occurs in less than 10 percent of patients, but is the most threatening acute complication of Lyme disease"

That is why we need to get that ketes out of our body

mags

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

I have definitely read several places that Lyme bugs attack the heart.

Jim [Cool]

cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimBoB:
I have definitely read several places that Lyme bugs attack the heart.
Jim [Cool]

So so true. Lots of reports about that.

--------------------
I'm not an MD. The above is IMO and in my experience as well as from health related books.

I've had symptoms consistent with neurological Lyme disease since 1986. Was diagnosed with Lyme in 2004. Am feeling better now than ever before.

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corgilla:
Hey JimBob,

Many believe that it isn't cureable. This is not proven or disproven. It just seems like that's what happens.

You can beat it down but how can you rid yourself of that one borrelia that is sitting in you left scapula for 2 months and decides to come out and replicate when you think you're cured?

Well, one trick to solve that problem is to NEVER think you are cured.

IMO, once infected, always infected.

That doesn't mean you can't get back to normal, in most circumstances.

Just means you need to change your way of life: The way you think, eat, drink, sleep, excercise, etc.

Trick is, IMO and I'm not a Dr., you yourself gotta do it. Not your LLMD and whichever Dr. you're using. It's up to you! 99%.

And there's a ton of stuff you can do all by yourself.

The general goal should be, IMO, to make your body an unhappy home for Bb.

So learn about the little **** and fight it!

Your Dr. got other things on his mind than you!

You got mainly YOU on your mind. So who do you think's gonna have to most impact on your recovery?

Michael

--------------------
I'm not an MD. The above is IMO and in my experience as well as from health related books.

I've had symptoms consistent with neurological Lyme disease since 1986. Was diagnosed with Lyme in 2004. Am feeling better now than ever before.

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

I tend to agree with you Michael.

That is why I gave up on my duck and took it upon myself to get myself healed. IF that is even possible. BUt at least I don't feel like I am going to die in the near future, like I did last fall.

As a matter of fact, most days I feel pretty good now.

Jim [Cool]

cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Jim,

Glad to hear you're doing well. I feel pretty good too. I'm partly following the Buhner protocol too, btw.

In fact, I feel better than before I was diagnosed with Lyme 2y ago.

In fact, I even feel better than way before that too.

And I've had Lyme symptoms since I was around 20.

I am in much more control of myself now. Do not rely on any Dr. I just read read read. Keep a diary. Monitor all symptoms.

I can only speak for myself, but I really do believe that the trick to recovery is to be 100% convinced that the healing is in the hands of the sufferer him/herself.

But my gutt tells me, and the anecdotal evidence available from the internet (incl Lymenet), that most people simply won't accept this. They have to much respect for Dr.s and are too much impressed with medical hype and medical authorities and are intimidated by medical lingo.

I know my dad couldn't do. I know my could do it. I know my wife couldn't do it.

I'm sure there are some Dr's which take a whole body approach and who are knowledgable about Lyme and who are truly concerned about their patients and who are open minded.

I just don't know such, except perhaps Dr. H of Hyde Park who is getting close. But of course he's overburdened with way too many patients to give each patient the time and attention they need...IMO.

Michael

--------------------

hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonder what God has to say about Lyme not being curable? Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God would say all illness is an illusion because only perfect oneness and love is real.

Upsetting huh.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 8925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ lymeHerx001:

Nice comment. Lol or not?

Posts: 71 | From germany | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by cmichaelo:
Jim,

Glad to hear you're doing well. I feel pretty good too. I'm partly following the Buhner protocol too, btw.

In fact, I feel better than before I was diagnosed with Lyme 2y ago.

In fact, I even feel better than way before that too.

And I've had Lyme symptoms since I was around 20.

I am in much more control of myself now. Do not rely on any Dr. I just read read read. Keep a diary. Monitor all symptoms.

I can only speak for myself, but I really do believe that the trick to recovery is to be 100% convinced that the healing is in the hands of the sufferer him/herself.

But my gutt tells me, and the anecdotal evidence available from the internet (incl Lymenet), that most people simply won't accept this. They have to much respect for Dr.s and are too much impressed with medical hype and medical authorities and are intimidated by medical lingo.

I know my dad couldn't do. I know my could do it. I know my wife couldn't do it.

I'm sure there are some Dr's which take a whole body approach and who are knowledgable about Lyme and who are truly concerned about their patients and who are open minded.

I just don't know such, except perhaps Dr. H of Hyde Park who is getting close. But of course he's overburdened with way too many patients to give each patient the time and attention they need...IMO.

Michael

I agree, that the few good docs out there are overburdened with too many patients, so others have to take what is left. We have only two LLMD's here in Wisconsin that I know of, and one of them has quit taking new patients. So that leaves one for the whole state. Sad!

I also think we MUST take our health into our own hands. What makes anyone think that the "hired man" is going to truly care for and about them. I am sure most want to do a decent job IF they can, but certainly are not going to give us the time we can give ourselves. AND they cannot, even in the slightest, FEEL WHAT we feel.

MOST of them just use a cookie cutter method of treating patients, probably because they heard it worked sometimes for others. Also they are hooked on abx, mainly because herbs and other things are not profitable enough for them. (They get a cut for their prescriptions).

I USED to have blind faith in doctors because I didn't know any better either. But after my experiences with my current duck, I have faith in no one but myself and God at this point in my life.

AND the more I read and experience, the less faith I could put in any of them. At least any I have access to.

Jim [Cool]

cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Jim,

Amen!

Michael

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement