LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Strange reaction to loud music at concert

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strange reaction to loud music at concert
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

I went to a concert tonite...first time out doing a normal activity since i got so sick

let me tell ya i think i over did it.

BUT, i wanted to know if anyone might know why my body reacted this way.

My chest got tight and really hurt when there was a lot of bass in the music. it was so strange...and it still hurts a bit now. I freaked a bit at first and then calmed down and enjoyed the show. but it bothers me that this happend.

The drive home was 3hrs in traffic....they decided to do construction on a Friday nite....i dont know how i did it.

I just wonder if im dealing with something other then the standard TBD.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When neurotoxin affect temporarily our Autonomic Nervous System, it is not able to control the influx of vibrations and sound such as this into our body. Sound, light, or odor, heat and cold, all are controlled by our autonomics when they function.

Don't worry about this - you just have a little while longer to get totally well. We are sensitive creatures, super sensitive, when our autonomic nervous system cannot perform the balancing act. I used to wear three pair of sunglasses, one on top of the other, to control the light that felt like it was killing my eyes.
Same with music. I shunned it totally. I could not handle any. That is all gone.

Get well and stay away from concerts for a while until you can really enjoy them again. I am sure you will.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol B
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best Buy was a sensory overload for me,too. My daughter had a couple of gift certificates and asked me to take her to Best Buy to spend them.

Fortunately she pretty much knew what she wanted. At one point I thought if I don't get out of here soon I am either going to pass out-or start screaming at the top of my lungs to override the noise,activity confusion, lights.

I chose to exit in a hurry.
Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelighter2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelighter2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Autonomic nervous system sensory overload. Very common with lymies.

I used to run screaming out of the Kmart because of the fluorescent lights.

I had to give up driving for a long time because of the same reason, the movement was difficult to "process" as was determining my place in space. I also had problems with headlights.

"I wear my sunglasses at night" singer Corey Hart must have had lyme, because he sure called that one right.

Anyway, loud noises, motion, malls full of people, crowds, light, especially fluorescent light can and will set you off. So does people yelling at me over the phone or talking too loudly.

Good luck with that one. Lots of deconditioning exercises help, talking yourself through them, understanding what is causing the problem helps too. But the best thing is to be nice to yourself, find quiet as soon as possible or remove yourself from the situation, don't feel weird, nearly every lymie I know has or has had this problem at one time or another, its part of the process.

Its crap its hard but its something we have to deal with. It can and does get better with treatment and time.
Hey, use it to your advantage, if you are somewhere you don't want to be, you can always pull a "the lights are bothering me, I have to go" bit. LOL
PJ

--------------------
PJ

www.LymeLeague.com"Together We Grow Stronger"

Posts: 139 | From A tiny little home office in the middle of Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahhhh......its all making sense to me now. So im really not a freak.

When i first got sick i couldnt go into stores..the lights, the people talking, the different colors was all too much- so that part i am familar with.

so many times I would pull myself together for the moment and then run like heck out of the store. that part has gotten so much better.

the driving at high speeds still is a bit of an adjustment i feel like im swaying.

I feel like i was run over by a truck this morning...im so stiff and sore...IC bladder is so unhappy.

I did wear ear plugs last nite cause my ears have always been sensitive.

Carol- funny you mention best buy, i had that happen to me too...and walked out very quickly.

Gigi- i just wish i could find a treatment that didnt cause me so much yeast.that i could stick with.

Positive note though , i did stick to the diet...brought my own food.(ate in my car)..and just watched all the normies eating the horrible processed food.

I hope these muscles heel up...staying away from loud noise for sure. [bonk]

[bow]

--------------------

-Schopenhauer

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Cant

I can really empathize with you on this.

last year I went to an Elton John concert. One I had been looking forward to seeing all my whole life because I am a hudge fan and never have seen him in concert.

We went with 2 other couples. I lasted about 15 minuets and said I had to go to the bathrooom.

The music was too loud and the light show was flashing and I was dizzy and sick feeling.

Everytime I tryed to back in I couldn't do it. I spend the whole concert (2&1/2 hours) sitting out in the hall way feeling like a freak.

It was a really low point for me.

Later I came to realize it was sensory overload and the lyme symptoms flared do to the loud music and lights.

To this day I cant listen to Elton without feeling sad.

I am much better this year and would like to attempt another concert again.

I am sorry this had to happen to you.
Hang in there and maybe over time your symptoms will get better too [group hug]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, I had a lot of olfactory and auditory sensitivity, some of which still exists.

Fish used to be a staple in my diet, and now I just can't eat it.

Initially, I couldn't deal with any loud or jarring sounds. Some of that has gotten better. But I had two experiences lately that reminded me I've still got a way to go:

A student I know invited me to a battle of the bands he was in...and even with earplugs, it was really tough.

Then the other night, I was at a graduation dinner with six children who ranged in age from 7 to 14 and 9 adults. I was okay for awhile, then suddenly, I started feeling overwhelmed and getting shaky.

In both instances, I felt really hung over the next day. Usually, I try to limit those types of events...that seems to work the best for me.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chroniccosmic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chroniccosmic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Can't,

No you aren't a freak. This has been one of my issues for years now.

Since I have been diagnosed with Lyme and started treatment it has gotten somewhat better.

Any place that is noisy, crowded, lots of lights are virtually impossible for me to function in. That leaves out malls, most stores and restaurants.

We cope by eating at restaurants that have outside dining or we get food and go to the park. Picnics and potlucks are good because they are usually at someone's house.

I haven't been in the grocery store in almost 2 years, my husband and daughter do all the shopping. I can run in a store quickly usually 5 minutes or less.

My biggest recent accomplishment was to make it through my daughter's graduation ceremony. It was in a huge arena at our local univesity complete with lights and a big crowd.

But I did it. I wore earplugs, sunglasses and sat right inside the door in the disabled section, it was kind of funny because people kept saying hi to me and I couldn't hear them.

I look forward to getting better and getting out in the world again. The isolation that this disease gives us is profound sometimes.

Posts: 460 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kentucky Girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kentucky Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had this problem too, although I can thankfully say that the experiences are getting less severe.

I used to be an absolute mess whenever I would go grocery shopping. Of course I thought I was crazy, none of my friends had a clue about what I was describing. At least we know what it is now!!

--------------------
Dani

Posts: 102 | From Where there is no lyme | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Andie- funny you should mention hung over....ive been saying i feel hung over all day. Like i used to feel when i drank...back in my normie days.

i havent had a drop of alcohol since August 2005.

going back under the covers for another nap.

--------------------

-Schopenhauer

secondtimearound
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for secondtimearound     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Michelle,

In addition to the bass, amplifiers are there too, possible herx similar to rife?

Just a thought.

All My Best,
Scott

--------------------
BTW - I am NOT a medical professional - just speaking from MY own personal experience.

Posts: 266 | From Philadelphia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't, so glad you're feeling well enough to go to a concert! Bravo! Who did you see?

Perhaps the waft of the wacky tabbacky had something to do w/this? Just Kidding:)

Be sure to buy a set of earplugs, just in case. I never go to shows without them as hearing damage is unseen.

I saw Queen w/Paul Rodgers recently and had a similar reaction. Those dbs stir up the fog something wicked. Then again, I was so thrilled to see Queen live again it didn't matter...

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can relate. I still have this but much less so than before. With continued tx it is improving for me.
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Scorp,

I need to thank you for saving me a couple of hundred dollars.

Your post just made me decide not to buy tickets to a concert we wanted to see in August.

I think it would be a bad idea. Considering I hadn't even been to a movie in awhile.

Last week I took some of my kids to see CARS. And it made me sooooo sick.

Between the loudness, special effects, bright lights, etc.

I felt like I was going to throw up
and I couldn't breathe. And I don't normally have panic attacks. It made my whole jaw hurt down to the bone. My eyes, ears, and brain were totally freaking out. All I know is the movie was about cartoon cars. It moved so fast I couldn't keep up.

lyme x 9

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this symptom for a long time. I used to love music, now I can't bear to hear it.

I watched a tape of a lecture given by Dr. Paul Cheney (a famous CFIDS researcher) where he talked about excitatory neurotoxicity which I think is the problem or at least part of the problem.

Magnesium has been somewhat helpful to me for this. He recommends klonapin. I don't know anything about that medication or whether it would be useful but I have a tendency to look for something other than prescription medications.

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm?ID=3154
In part:
"Cheney frequently uses the term "threshold potential" when discussing excitatory neurotoxicity. (Think of the threshold - bottom - of a doorway. The lower it is, the more accessible it is. When it is at floor level, everything can enter. When it is raised, access is restricted to taller people. If it is too high, no one can enter.) Threshold potential refers to how much stimulus it takes to make neurons fire. If the threshold potential is too low, even slight stimulation is "allowed to enter" and is detected by the neurons. This causes the neurons to fire, resulting in sensory overload. If the threshold is dropped to nothing, all stimuli get through and the neurons fire continuously, resulting in a seizure."

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very good article on lymeinfo.net on HYPERACUSIS AND LYME DISEASE, including drugs and supplements that may help.
http://www.lymeinfo.net/hyperacusis.html
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement