LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Doxy or lyme cause severe Backache?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doxy or lyme cause severe Backache?
Trina
Member # 9270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I have osteoarthritis and recently got lyme disease.I am on my fifth week of doxy and my backache has been severe.I mean so bad I am haveing to take two darvacets at least once a day and I hate that.

Does Doxy cause backaches? Please don't tell me this is lyme...

My back has always been bad but not like this.Anyone?

--------------------
Trina

Posts: 64 | From Mo. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a herx....especially since it's occuring in the 5th week. Most herxes occur during weeks 3-5.

Yes, Lyme causes severe back pain!!! [or CAN]

Have you discussed with your LLMD the possibility of backing off the meds to ease the herx?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a similar problem with Doxy but it was my sholder (which I had badly injured years earlier). There are a few possible causes but it did pass without stopping the doxy. If I recall correctly it took a few days to clear up.

8 weeks later, the pain reappeared and I ultimately had to switch drugs even though doxy had made a very significant positive difference for some of the very very bad symptoms. After I switched drug regimes the improvmeent has been steady ever since.

Thats all i can say, hope it helps.

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Trina

I looked up the side effects in my pill book and back pain or joint pain wasn't listed .

Not sure doxy could cause back pain but a herx sure could!

And lymetoo's right that lyme can cuase back pain.

You should call your doc and let him/her know because back pain can sometimes be a sign of kidney trouble.

Have you had your labs done recently?

Take care

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine has been continuous for 30+ years; lower back/hip and neck/HUMP area I now have. Hump just throbs!

I used frozen ice packs all day when I'm up exchangng them every 30-45 minutes for fresh ones.

Also have used MOISTENED heating pad that helped a bit.

I've had all kinds of pain pills ... no luck.

Also had 2 PAINFUL BACK INJECTIONS right before I left work & 2 wks. after I let ... NO HELP. Good luck to you...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a herx 3 days after I started.

Pain burning depression all over my body.

Stopped then had 2 best days in 2 years.

Pain came back, took 1 doxy a day for a week.

Every day after I took the doxy I felt worse for an hour then better.

At the end of the week I was no longer feeling better from the doxy. The herx built up. I was having BAD back and neck pain.

Now I take 1/2 to 1/4 doxy and still have pain, but its less severe.

At this dose some say its not killing but instead increasing interluken 6 which increases borrellia antibody causing a cytokine cascade.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radiogirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Trina,
I began Doxy 2 years ago after many years of telling the Doctors I did not feel well and gave them my symptoms.One of my major symptoms was osteoarthritis in spine knees and neck.All at a young age 20s and 30s.I had a radio show in Texas and had a scientist on who led me to www.immed.org and lo and behold after beginning the protocol that began with doxy I began to HERX in all the osteo affected joints and other places as well.I had been to the finest DR and Hospitals money could buy and zilch was done.Is it a coincidence that I have improved or is it that I said I felt sick because I was sick!I herxed in my neck knees spine and now they are greatly improved.

Read Post and Listen to Your Body and mostly GOD BLESS YOU,

RG

Posts: 140 | From Texas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jblral
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jblral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my daughter's main lyme symptoms has been severe back and knee pain. When she herxes, it all gets much worse. Still seeking a solution.
Posts: 991 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trina
Member # 9270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just this worst..I also have kind of a sick feeling in the base of my head/neck.

How long do herxes last? Every day I think I just can not take another day of doxy and then I think I am afraid not to.I did not feel like this the first couple of weeks.I got sick a couple of times.

How can you people stand this?? I have 6 days left.And then I need to be off the antibiotics 6 weeks to check for coinfections the doctor said.

I have had osteoarthritis for years as well as fibromyalgia.Had many tic bites before this last one that left the EM. Maybe the lyme had already spread to my spine? If that is the case then another week of doxy will not cure it?

I will pray for everyone on this board.You all have so much sickness to endure each and everyday. Thank you so much.I will try the ice packs.I had not even thought it might be a herx.That makes it more bearable. If I still have symptoms of lyme disease or coinfectons I will go to an LLMD regardless of the cost.

--------------------
Trina

Posts: 64 | From Mo. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radiogirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Trina,
I hit the doxy hard in the beginning at 100mgs 2x a day .This was to deal with the intracellular infections.Im now up to 200mgs 2x a day and again feeling that deep sick muscle pain that even pain meds barely touch.Chances are your killing off the offenders and it isnt fun.www.immed.org has info on getting thru the herxs as best you can as well ask people here what they do.Some times docs will let you back off the meds to lessen the suffering.

I will tell you the anxiety and depression can be a part of the herx process and it can throw a person for a loop when you are first going thru this.All of us here understand what your going thru and will try to help . First start drinking lots of clean water with a tablespoon lemon in tall glass and inquire here about good supplements to help the body cope with the die off.And remember if there is infection in there the doxy is now getting to it and thats the good part.

Blessings to YOU,
RG

Posts: 140 | From Texas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trina:
How can you people stand this?? I have 6 days left.And then I need to be off the antibiotics 6 weeks to check for coinfections the doctor said.

6 weeks!!?? [Eek!] You will REALLY be allowing the keets to get the upper hand. Is your dr going to use Igenex labs??

If not, then skip it! Go straight to an LLMD. You are wasting time.

Two weeks off meds should be sufficient. Many say you don't have to go off at all....ESPECIALLY since you'll be testing for co-infections, not Lyme.

The meds you are on will not affect co-infections, except ehrlichiosis, which would be taken care of by the doxy anyway....so no real need to test.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trina, have you had an MRI and what does your MD and/or LLMD think?
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about doxy, but Lyme definitely gave me terrible back aches for a while. They've gone away after 9 months of abx.
Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Trina

I am so sorry to hear about your back pain.

I don't want to confuse you further with more advice but to share something a LLMD said to me once.

After first being infected with lyme many years before I had alway had very bad neck pain. I used to ice pack my neck as it did bring me some relief.

The doctor told me that was the worse thing I could be doing for my lyme. Because the lyme spirokete thrives in a cold envirnoment and it was creating a perfect environment for bb to live.

There are people who think differently about this so you can make up your own mind. I just wanted to share what I learned along the way

Take care and hope your pain lets up

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience with Lyme , all your bad spots become worse while on abx...they flare more etc.

While on doxy...my neck was very stiff....i felt like the tinman.

I have a very bad large herniated disc in my neck.

my right wrist also hurt a lot.

and my herx was what i call bladder paralyzation...everything just locked up in my pelvic region...i got cold and tingly, numb and could not stop crying.

I had chest pressure that would wake me from sleeping.

this was all on 200mg/day.

I would suggest using a heating pad on your back to help with the pain.

I would talk this over with your LLMD as well.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trina:

The pain is suicidal thought inducing. I am so sorry you're experiencing this. My initial lyme diag in '96 gave me lethargy, thought "mono". But the base of my skull, top of my neck (where the knobs are?)soooo tender, painful, stiff. Felt as though my head could fall off any minute.

My last bought just recently, late '03 through '05 (actually just came off abx) the pain was so severe I wanted to die. I called everyone, orthopedics, considered PT, massage therapy, chiropractics. Did all but PT. I got muscle relaxers and pain killers, but feared my heart would stop.

I got relief immediately with amoxy, but my system was used to it.

Went to heavy hitter Doxy with a splash of Zith. Yes the pain was excruciating but lessened each time.

The symptoms will come out with each herx, and you may experience symptoms you never had before. Wherein lies the question, is this the lyme or the abx? You will be in limbo. Keep a journal. Share your symptoms to those who understand.

Sincerely,

--------------------
Lymester

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement