LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » strep again :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: strep again :(
pru
Member # 9070

Icon 11 posted      Profile for pru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys. i haven't posted in a while. Things haven't been good lately. Two weeks ago, I posted that I had a strep infection.. a bad one; 103 fevers, body aches, pus on the tonsils, excruciating headache. I started antibiotics and felt 100% better within 3 days. On friday I finished my 10 days of amoxicillin, 1700 mg a day.

Now I think it's back, with terrible sore throat and pus on the tonsils. I am so weak from all these infections, and I desperately need to seek an opinion on my igeneX results, which were CDC and IgeneX negative but with lyme specific + bands. You could search them under, "strep infections are the pits/igeneX results are in-- need opinions, please [Smile] "

I am scheduled for my wisdom teeth removal on friday morning, but i suppose i will have to cancel now...

i have read a lot about recurring strep infections on this site and the potential link between strep and lyme. i just don't know anymore. i need answers...answers that my 2:10 appt. with GP DR will never answer..

Posts: 55 | From portland, or, | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IsThereHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IsThereHope         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should see about having your tonsils removed, our kids were getting strep all the time from the schools, Indiana is the strep capital, it stopped this issue dead in it's tracks, tonsiles are strep magnets, believe me. Use dis-infectants on your sinks, by cheap toothbrushes and switch every day for 10 days while your on the anti-biotics as folks often re-infect themselves with their own toothbrush.
Posts: 121 | From Memphis, TN | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Likewise, Dr. Lida Mattman, PhD, professor emeritus from Wayne State University in Detroit, MI., and author of the medical microbiology textbook entitled 'Cell Wall Deficient Forms: Stealth Pathogens', has reported finding the Lyme disease spirochete, Borrelia burgdorferi in 40% of the fibromyalgia patients she tested. Dr. Mattman stated that if streptococcus is present, it must be treated first before the Lyme is treated because Borrelia feeds on strep. In other words, the strep stimulates the growth of Borrelia. Furthermore, it is impossible to culture Borrelia whenever strep is present because strep is a faster growing bacterium and it will overgrow the culture medium as a 'contaminate', obscuring the presence of Borrelia. quote lm
::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::

http://www.joimr.org/phorum/read.php?f=2&i=38&t=38
Mattman, et al., in 1996, [16] performed a careful study of blood samples from 20 sarcoidosis patients and 20 controls using an oil-immersion lens and the Intensified Kinyoun stain. Mattman also developed specialized media which were capable of culturing the CWD organisms she isolated from the CWD specimens.
This is the same lady who can take blood from you and in three days tell you if you have lyme by raising spirochetes from your blood which had none in it ie (blebs,Lforms) are there they revert back to spirochetes at least thats what I make out of it. http://www.fourwinds10.com/news/06-health/B-disease/2003/06B-02-01-03-microbiologist-Mattman-closing-lab.html

SarcInfo.com - How a Pathologist can see Bacteria causing Sarcoidosis
I just spent a fascinating afternoon with Dr Alan Cantwell, one of the first to report that a special type of bacteria had been found in the tissue of sarcoidosis patients. His first paper reporting these special pleomorphic bacteria was published in 1981, and a second paper in 1982. His discovery was ignored by Pulmonologists, although a number of other physicians have continued this work, with a detailed study of 20 patients and 20 controls in 1996, which clearly implicated bacteria as a likely cause of sarcoidosis. It was a bacteria similar to Mycobacterium Tuberculosis, but with an evolutionary adaptation that allows it to live without having a cell wall.

These special bugs are called "Cell Wall Deficient Bacteria" (CWD), and they have been found not only in Sarcoidosis, but also a number of other diseases, including Crohn's disease. There is a well written description of these bacteria at 'The Lyme Alliance'.

<--- A clump of tiny, round, 'coccoid forms', resembling minute granules, is at the far left of this image of a sweat gland from the skin of a lung sarc patient.

Here are the 'rod' bacteria more commonly seen by a pathologist --->

Dr Cantwell came under intense criticism when he reported that he could also find these bacteria in cancer patients, and from that time onwards he was ostracized by many in the medical profession. Dr Lida Mattman has managed to plot a course through the medical politics, and she is still working and researching today. Dr Phyllis E Pease has also continued to publish. Dr EA Moscovic has also published about CWD in Sarcoidois.

These CWD bacteria grow very slowly. Sometimes it can take months to culture them in a lab. That is one of the reasons that the labs don't find them during their standard tests for fungi and bacteria. These CWD have also been referred to as mycoplasma, L-forms, mollicutes,and nanobacteria. Milton Wainright referred to them as 'pleomorphic' in his recent article.

Alan gave us the benefit of his decades of research on cell wall deficient bacteria, explaining how any pathologist could see them under a microscope, and which stains should be used to make the bacteria show up amongst the tissue. If you look at the two images above, on the left you have a microscope photo, at 1000 times magnification, of the tissue surrounding the sweat gland from the skin of a lung sarcoidosis patient. The orifice for the sweat gland is the large open space at the lower right, the clump of tiny bacteria (called a coccoid form) is at the middle left. Click the image for an enlarged view. It is not easy to see these bacteria, but a good pathologist should be capable of doing it.

Normally the stain would show up the bacteria as red, (like the 'bacterial rods' on the right from the University of Wisconsin). But they show up as light pink, or, as in this slide, a purplish violet (a mixture of pink and blue).

Your pathologist might even be able to find these bacteria in old biopsy slides (some hospitals keep these for years). Here is some info that will help him find these tiny bugs (include this with Doc's pathology request)

The stains that are most useful to view the bacteria are:
1. Intensified Kinyoun
2. Giemsa
3. Fite-Faraco (often used with Leprosy biopsies)

They must be viewed under oil using an "oil immersion lens" at a magnification of 1000.

There are several books that will help a pathologist recognise the cell wall deficient bacteria:
1. Mattman LH: Cell Wall Deficient Forms. ISBN 0-8493-4405-0 (info from B&N.com)
2. Domingue G: Cell Wall Deficient Bacteria. (info from Amazon)
3. Xalabarder C: Publicaciones del Instituto Antituberculoso Francisco Moragas, Caja de Pensiones Para La Vejezy de Ahorros, Paseo de San Juan, 20, Barcelona-10: "L-Forms of Mycobacteria and Chronic Nephritis". 1970

Dr Alan Cantwell's book is interesting reading, and extremely provocative. It has photographs of the sarcoidosis microbes in it.

Now of course this topic is a little more complex than I have made it sound. The University of Wisconsin has an excellent description of the importance of the cell wall to a microbe, and why certain antibiotics, such as the penicillins, attack the microbe's cell wall. Microbes that have evolved to live without a wall are immune to attack by the penicillins (but apparently not immune to Minocycline). In fact the existence of your CWD mutations may be due to the use of the Penicillins on microbes for which the Tetracyclines should have been chosen in the first place.

Additionally, species of the E-coli Bacterium, as well as the Strep bacterium, have been found in a cell-wall deficient form, not just the Mycobacteria.
Maybe add Flagyl????For cellwall deficient forms?

Hopefully this tutorial will give you and your pathologist the information needed to verify that these microbes were in fact in YOUR biopsy tissue, and that therefore Doc had better darn well think about trying some antibiotics to get rid of them...

Click on the images to get enlarged versions.

CWD Bacteria in the connective tissue of the skin biopsy sample taken from a skin sarcoidosis patient

Culture of CWD staph bacteria from this patient (cultures of these CWD bacteria typically take months to grow)

Bacteria in the lung tissue of a patient with systemic sarcoidosis

Bacteria in a sweat gland of the skin of the same (lung sarc) patient

Culture from the second patient
The Mattman Study
Jo Anne Whitaker, M.D., Eleanor G. Fort, B.G., M.T. Minter H. Dopson, Lida H. Mattman, Ph.D.,Sally M. Marlowe,N.P."
Bowen Research and Training, Tarpon Springs, FL, USA,  Chisolm Biological Laboratory,
Aiken, SC, USA  Nelson Medical Research, Warren, MI, USA (4) Arthritis Pain Treatment Center, Clearwater, FL, USA
INTRODUCTION
Health is a state of balance. Because humans and microbes are often competitors, interactive co-evolution has resulted in multiple and varied defense mechanisms on the part of both. The body must juggle and perform delicate balancing acts to maintain adaptive successes in spite of constantly changing life situations.
Lyme Disease (LD), Fibromyalgia (FMS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), Gulf War Syndrome (CWS), and many similar chronic conditions affect multiple body systems often accompanied by extreme morbidity. Laboratory diagnostic methods presently in use are often undependable. We believe The Gold Standard Culture method developed by Lida Mattman, Ph.D. is the only consistently dependable procedure for the demonstration of the spirochete, Borrelia burgdorferi (Bb), the causative agent of LD. It is becoming increasingly obvious that the plethora of multiple clinical signs and symptoms associated with LD are also common to patients with FMS, CFS, GWS, and other commonly referred to as immune diseases. Most physicians do not consider LD to be a cause of these syndromes, thus, allowing untold numbers of direly ill patients to suffer without the antibiotic treatments which will improve their clinical situation, and, in some cases, cure their disease (acute LD).
MATERIALS AND METHODS
(1) The Mattman Blood Culture Technique for identification of BB was used. Her success in producing positive cultures involved initiating growth in cell-wall deficient forms of the spirochete.
(2) LUAT (Lyme Urine Antigen Test) performed at Igenex.
(3) Peripheral Blood Smears with Giemsa Stain (4) Live cell analysis.

Results
103 subjects exhibiting clinical evidence of multiple body system involvement were studied. The Mattman Blood Culture was positive for Bb in 94 subjects. 37 subjects were tested by LUAT for Bb antigen and 19 of the 37 tested positive. Smears were done on blood taken from the subjects. There was evidence of bone marrow stimulation characterized by hypochromia, red blood cells (RBCs) inclusions (stippling or parasites) and large polychromatic RBCs Platelets and white blood cells appeared normal. Extreme fragility of RBCs was detected in many (nonspherocytic). Live Cell Analysis was also performed on the blood of the subjects and followed over 4 days ( same preparation). Upon standing, most striking was parasitization of RBCs by ring forms, and in many cases spirochetes emerging from RBCs. There existed extreme degradation of red blood cell membranes. Cystic and large L-Body forms were frequent.
Breakdown of diagnosis and the number of subjects:
Fibromyalgia - 30
Osteoarthritis - 1
Mixed Connective Tissue Disease - 3
Polymyalgia Rheumatica - 1
Ankylosing Spondylitis - 1
Lupus Erythematosus - 1
Palindromic Rheumatism - 1
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - 8
Multiple Sclerosis - 40
Amyotrophic lateral Sclerosis - 17

DISCUSSION
When Fleming discovered the miracle drug, penicillin by mistake, he observed that it worked by altering the cell wall, thus, preventing replication. The Mattman Culture Method induces positive growth by supporting the cell-wall deficient forms. These forms are extremely stealthy in their proclivity for pleomorphism, suggesting other genera. The ambiance of their surrounding medium is probably responsible for these changes and migration to all part of the body in the interest of self-preservation. Without intact cell walls their receptors are disadvantaged.

It is essential that the "medical world" question the validity of present laboratory methods in detecting Bb and recognizes that Lyme disease, sometimes a killer but almost always a disabler, is a disease just as fearsome as "The Great Imitator", syphilis, and about to become just as widespread. Success in treating LD can best be achieved with early clinical diagnosis and the initiation of proper long-term antibiotic and antigen-specific Transfer Factor therapies. Until this is achieved, there will continue to be great cost not only to patients progressing to chronic neuroborreliosis, but also to the public health community. One of the most crucial diagnostic tools, the initiation of a trial antibiotic regimen and antigen-specific Transfer Factor therapies, and the resulting Herxheimer reaction (belived by may "Lyme Savvy" practitioners to be the best indicator of LD response) must be embraced and practiced. It is paramount to accept the fact that Lyme disease is the most common and rampant vector- borne infectious disease in the US.

Its not a far leap to think that lyme or one of it buddies is the cause of all this suffering.TBD
Heres some more. http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/25/lyme_disease.htm
http://www.lymenet.de/mattms.htm

Update on Research Activities

Bowen Research and Training Institute, Inc. is a research facility in Palm Harbor , Florida . After finding that there were few accurate tests for Borrelia burgdorferi (Bb), researchers at Bowen Research and Training developed a new direct immunofluorescent test that identifies the Borrelia burgdorferi (Bb) antigen.

This research project has found the Bb antigen in whole blood, breast milk, amniotic fluid, placental tissue, semen, eye fluid, tooth, foot nodule, shoulder fluid, spinal fluid, finger joint fluid and African dust. This test, called the Rapid Identification of Borrelia burgdorferi (RIBb) test, looks for an antigen of the Bb spirochete. Findings are documented with digital photography.

This method of testing is of particular importance for Bb because current serology tests measure only antibody response beginning three to four (3-4) weeks following onset of active Lyme disease, whereas the antigen of Bb is present within twenty-four (24) hours of contracting the disease. In addition to the RIBb test, a buffy coat blood smear stained with Wright Giemsa is examined to identify other tick borne bacterial infections such as Human Granulocytic Ehrlichia (HGE), and Human Monocytic Ehrlichia (HME), which are seen in the white blood cells (WBC). The parasite Babesia is often seen intracellularly in the red blood cell (RBC). All three infections can be identified in the same individual.

We have now tested over 2900 specimens including over 700 very sick children from all geographic areas and, as previously described, all are positive for the Bb antigen. The RIBb test has been validated by Mattman's culture method, yielding the same results on over three hundred (300) same draw blood specimens. An independent laboratory using thirty (30) same draw blood specimens has also confirmed the RIBb test. Appropriate, specific and non-specific positive and negative controls are performed on each specimen.

We have recently developed a titration serial dilution method for quantitating the amount of Bb antigen in the blood. This may help to differentiate the carrier state from the patients with serious disease by comparing persistence of fluorescing structures. This method will also help us to determine the efficacy of antibiotic and other treatment therapies. We strongly recommend that physicians order the serial dilution RIBb test pre and post antibiotic therapy to determine the efficacy of treatment.

In 1998 Dr. Lida Mattman cultured Borrelia burgdorferi by supporting the growth of cell wall deficient organisms in 43 out of 47 blood samples from patients with the signs and symptoms of chronic Lyme disease. In that study there were 23 out of 23 negative controls in patients without signs and symptoms of Lyme disease. For the last four years Dr. Mattman has not had a negative culture for Borrelia burgdorferi. All specimens have cultured out cell wall deficient Borrelia burgdorferi organisms.

A large epidemiological study needs to be done with a sensitive specific test for Borrelia burgdorferi to help understand its many complexities.

This study should alert us that Lyme disease is a very serious problem, quite possibly the fastest growing epidemic in the world, and one that is very difficult to diagnose and treat. The RIBb test as well as the identification of the presence of other tick borne infections is vitally important so that the disease can be diagnosed early in order for treatment to be started immediately to prevent the morbidity of chronic Lyme disease and other tick borne diseases.

Jo Anne W, M.D.

Also Pru maybe this needs added?Lyme disease with magnesium deficiency.

The dosing schedule is based on Dr. Valetta's protocol. Valletta used Mg pyrophosphate and sub. B6 to cure RA, ulcerative colitis and INVASIVE CANCER in 6 months time.MAGNESIUM TREATMENT

According to mattman strep also goes into cwd forms if so maybe penicillin and Flagyl will kick its butt?Or instead of penicillin use extended-spectrum cephalosporins & flagyl?
pubmedcentra

Also this is new Invasive Disease and Toxic Shock due to Zoonotic Streptococcus suis: An Emerging Infection in the East?

if this disease found here is zoonosis whos to say what you have hasnt been injected in you from the tick your particular strain of Strep?

In the study, Raveche and her colleague, Steven Schutzer, another UMDNJ immunologist, found that the Osp-A protein of the Lyme bacteria shared molecular similarities with another protein, Streptococcus pyogenes M, known to cause autoimmune diseases, including rheumatic heart disease and arthritis.canlyme

I hope it helps.

[ 21. June 2006, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: treepatrol ]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement