LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » breast pains after IV Vitamin C

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: breast pains after IV Vitamin C
mtnwoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtnwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else? The breast pains are diffuse and bilateral and pretty painful, unlike anything I have ever had. No lumps, just diffuse sore breasts. Last about 12 hours.

They only happen at the end of my 3 week antibiotic cycle when I do IV Vit C 50 gm (with Magnesium) 3 days in a row in the 4th week.

I wonder if after the antibiotics, the lymph system is dealing with the endotoxin cleanup, but that doesn't explain why the high dose vitamin C triggers the pain, rather than relieve the pain.

Any ideas? I searched the archives and I see other women who describe diffuse breast pain, but nothing in relationship to Vitamin C. Is Marnie in the audience?

Posts: 211 | From NC | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I have had those pains, they usually start under the armpit and shoot outward. Very painful. My doc told me it was a vitamin E deficiency. So, I started taking 400IU daily and it has really helped.

Hope that helps you.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I was told that high dose vit c via iv has antibacteria properties. Could to be that the vit c is penetrating and area that abx have not, and you are getting die -off?

It's just a thought to ponder.

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi mtnwoman,

I have had breast pains that started under the arm pit like kelmo, but it was from herxing on doxy/mino. I also had the pains as lyme symptoms.

I do the Vit C IV, but no breast pain with it, funny thing though is a doc here in Mi says doxy and mino are chelaters of mercury, so maybe it kinda the same thing? I don't know.

I will pay attention if I get this symptom next time I do the Vit C IV.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - Be careful with the IV C! Those pains are not good, i had the same experience and the C inded up messing up my insulin receptors. Too much IV C is not a good idea. I did up to 100 grams and it almost killed me, i went into shock from low blood sugar. The reading was 16 on the glucose meter. Vitamin C can be mistaken by the body for insulin and really ^&*%^ you up!

Its not a good idea to do so much of it. I did hundreds of IV C for supposed viruses before I knew i had Lyme, and it did nothing but cost money and burn my veins. [shake]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IV Vitamin C should be done in D5W to prevent the hypoglycemic reaction and many docs even suggest their patients eat a protein bar while doing the IV's.

I give hubby IV Vitamin C drips 1 or 2 times per week. Use 25 grams -- have done this for about 3 years now.

When he did IV Rocephin -- his 1st antibiotic --I did the IV's 6 days a week immediately after the antibiotic IV's -- felt it helped with detox.

Before the Rocephin -- worked up to the 25 gram dose over several weeks -- actually was 1 of only 3 times hubby has had a rash while in treatment. Do believe the Vitamin C has some antibacterial actions.

The other use for IV Vitamin C is to support the adrenals. Before the Rocephin hubby actually got an energy boost from the IV's when he was doing them daily at a sufficient dose.

If I remember correctly the brain has higher Vitamin C concentrations than any other part of the body.

Mtnwoman,

My guess would be some sort of lymphatic blockage that is causing the pain. Could try slowing down the speed at which the IV is infused to see if that would help. Would also suggest a lymphatic massage or could try tincture of red root (discussed in the Healing Lyme book).

The Vitamin E is generally recommended as one treatment for fibrocystic breast disease.

Also, might try just doing the Vitamin C by itself or the magnesium by itself. It may be the combo that is the problem. I generally give these as separate IV's to hubby -- do 3 or 4 grams of magnesium about once a week.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The D5W did not help the situation and only made it worse! Vit C did nothing but cost money! Its supposed to help the immune system but you can take it orally.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had really good results from IV-C, but never had quite as high the dosage that you are having, nor as close together. I usually give myself a week in between at least. I have never had breast pain like you describe from the IV-C either.

I always eat a protein bar while I am taking the infusion, and take horse chestnut supplements to help maintain vascular health. No problems ever, other than herxing from the antibiotic properties.

Good luck.

Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtnwoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtnwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks folks for your ideas. Perhaps I didn't make clear, the diffuse breast pains happen after the IV infusion -- are usu worse a few hours afterwards.

And they do not radiate from the armpit -- they seem purely in breast tissue, including the nipple.

I don't particularly feel benefits from the IV's to Lyme so I may dispense with them anyhow. I had access to some inexpensive ones and just wanted to try them.

A friend with Lyme takes them and feels worse, which she takes to mean that they are helping -- you know the story.

Posts: 211 | From NC | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement