LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » meningitis question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: meningitis question
am36
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for am36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any difference between menengitis caused by lyme and regular meningitis?

Is it possible to have lyme meningitis without a fever? (just feeling feverish, no actual fever)

How is it diagnosed? (please don't say MRI, my insurance is a pain to deal with when it comes to MRI's)

thanks!

Posts: 169 | From former Philadelphian | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duramater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duramater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bacterially-based meningitis will causes a severe headache, usually some fever (low grade), stiff neck (up/down, not side-to-side), and other symptoms although those are the biggee. I cannot emphasize enough the severity of the headaches.

I had those symptoms, it was caused by Bb. The way to diagnose it is a spinal tap which will show things like elevated protein, elevated white cells, eleand in about 20% of patients, antibodies to Bb (which I had).

Posts: 689 | From western MA (we say buttER and pizzA) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good LLMD can also diagnose lyme meningitis on clinical presentation alone with pretty good accuracy. The headache is unbelievably bad, like worse than you can possibly imagine and then some (at least it was for me -- pretty sure I've had it 5 times now!) The stiff neck is excruciating, too. I've read that it is possible to have no fever at all, I had a very low grade one -- I certainly *felt* feverish, and also had uncontrollable vomiting, sweating, shaking, chills - - in short, horrible.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
am36
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for am36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the replies

but it wouldn't spontaneously recover, right?

Posts: 169 | From former Philadelphian | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually yes...at least it happens to me.

I get this neck stiffnes and headache with my monthly flare up...not all the time however,,,

It comes and goes....if however yours is staying then you'll need to chase it away with some abx.

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've read, zman is right -- lyme meningitis can come and go rather without warning. That has also been my experience -- it lasts about 3 to 4 days (which are a living he**), and then subsides. This was true for me before I got diagnosed, too -- when I wasn't getting any treatment.

--------------------

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
am36
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9409

interesting. Not yet diagnosed. (stillweaning off steroids [Frown]

A few months before my walking problems began (and a couple of months after they started evaluating me for lupus because I felt like a truck hit me), I had the most incredible headache that sent me to the hospital. Pain in the back of the head.

The ER was pointless. They gave me some painkillers which helped some,and toldme I should probably get an MRI done, but that should be done outpatient through my insurance plan. They let me go a few hours later.

I had ther pain on and off for a while. Finally did an MRI a couple of months later. Spinal tap was 8 months later way after I had stabilized. Socialized medicine.

Pain with stiffness in my neck seems to be coming back a bit now, but not yet to the same extent.

Until I get tested for lyme or spike a high fever, my gp will continue to tell me "probably stress"

minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Yeah, "probably stress" was my diagonosis for a long time too -- and then hypochondria, somatization of mental conflicts, fibromyalgia -- you name it, anything BUT lyme, and I am a total textbook case!

--------------------

LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LYMESCIENCE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah minimonkey, thats the f*#@ing truth. I don't buy anything the Ducks say about Lyme. Some try to say Lyme isn't also a diagnosis of exclusion, but I think thats pure quackery. Like you, I was also a textbook case, yet it still took 4 years to get diagnosed. I don't think the IDSA guildlines mean anything because even when you fit the guildlines, they still don't diagnose or treat.

I had the bullseye rash, positive elisa and confirmatory western blot, frank arthritis, and several DUCK confirmed physical abnormalities, but since I lived in North Carolina, all these physical abnormalities and my blood tests were just false postives on the blood tests, and some unknown condition for the other signs and symptoms.

I highly recommend not going to a DUCK for diagnosis. Trust me, even when you meet the so called guildlines, they still won't consider you to be a case of Lyme.

You need a LLMD.

Posts: 559 | From Cary, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement