LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can RSD by Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can RSD by Lyme?
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 16 year old neighbor was just diagnosed with RSD...she has severe pain in one foot...swelling etc.

She said the docs have been stumped for years and ruled everything else out.

Before I go on my Lyme Awareness binge, can anyone tell me anything about RSD being confused with lyme?
Thanks!

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know .... up for some answers!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the same thing when I saw a PAX TV "DOC" MOVIE about RSD, REFLEX SYMPATHY DYSTROPHY. I had never had heard of it before.

I checked ART DOUGHERTY'S 300 OTHER illnesses mimic lyme disease and RSD was NOT listed on there. I believe he had a RSD BUT NOT the one you are inquiring about.

I have a link for RSD support groups that I learned of when I was on pax's DOC message board.

http://www.freewebs.com/helprsd/

I was just there now; it still works; and LOTS OFINFO including telling all about it.

otherwise, I loved going to:

www.medlineplus.org the NIH site, USER-friendly, and go to illnesses and type it in there ... loads of info.

Boy, are you a GREAT neighbor checking out things to tell her parents! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first developed Lyme symptoms of burning starting in my feet and spreading through my body, there was an article in my local newspaper about a woman athlete with RSD who had been misdiagnosed for years. Her symptoms sounded a lot like mine.

However, RDS usually develops in a dancer or athlete or has an injury that affects the nerves and then the nerves overreact and keep sending pain signals or something to that affect. I knew I had not sustained an injury prior to these symptoms.

So I finally figured out it was Lyme, but RSD can certainly cause some of the similar pain/burning/tingling symptoms we neurological Lymies get.

Also, when I recently saw a podiatrist because of foot pain from either Lyme, Bartonella or the quinolones, he was concerned that the continuing pain could develop into RSD. However he knows nothing about Lyme, he was just talking about things from a pain and foot perspective.

If you do a search through old People magazines, there was an article about Paula Abdul who suffered from pain for years from injuries as a dancer and it was finally diagnosed and treated as RSD - by a rheumatologist I had seen in Los Angeles years ago by the name of Daniel Wallace of Cedars-Sinai who is familiar with RSD (he is a lupus expert).

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 8 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing not prominent in RSD information: it can stem from an INFECTION. When you get bitten by a tick that is an injury, one way to develop "RSD." Then from the tick you contract an infection, another way to get "RSD."

Is this just one more garbage can disease made up to hide Lyme and TBD's? What facility developed the "RSD" nametag? Where is it studied?

Funny thing they have support groups already. Pay attention! Support groups are being pushed for everything but Lyme. Why?

I know about RSD because my best Lyme-sick friend called me freaking out last summer: her dad had tick bites all over his arm in our hyper-endemic area. The bites became huge welts. No treatment sought.

Three months later the arm developed a classic ACA rash. (Read about ACA and also look at pictures of RSD.) Her mom and dad would not take a picture of the rash though I begged and begged. By the time I saw the arm it was still pitifully swollen; the skin was so taught it was nearly transparent; blotchy patches covered his palms; the hand was immobile and extremely painful. He told me he had had blue-black patches, like blood blisters, all up and down the arm. The "blood blisters" would come off (Burst?) in the shower.

I knew what I was looking at. The ducks did not.

His WB showed several positive bands though neither IgG or IgM was IGenex or CDC positive. When your body is sick with RSD it is trying to fight the trigger with all it has so having your antibodies complexed would be likely and a "typical" positive unlikely, especially on a duck test.

He may lose the arm. And his life, but we can't make him understand he needs aggressive antibiotic therapy ASAP. Too far gone? Too sick?
"RSD" makes me livid!

Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mjo:

He may lose the arm. And his life, but we can't make him understand he needs aggressive antibiotic therapy ASAP. Too far gone? Too sick?
"RSD" makes me livid!

Boy, that is SAD!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mjo,

Thanks for sharing such a tragic story with us all; best wishes that HOPEFULLY he will not lose his arm. Again, to take prompt action. Bettyg

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ibrakeforticks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ibrakeforticks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy has helped some RSD cases. Which makes it worth looking into, because not much else does. The mainstream "pain management" path with increasing drugs and nerve blocks and all that is a road that leads nowhere...

I think there are studies on Pubmed that show a connection between Lyme and some RSD/CRPS cases. I think it is the one infectious disease that has been implicated in RSD. Sorry, I don't have a link.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote yes...

It is a nerve disease or syndrome...

And we all know lyme is something that affects the nerves of our bodies...

I have heard RSD is caused initially by trauma to the body also but then again lyme likes to affect traumatized body parts and functions...

Soooo why not!?

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lymie tony z:

I have heard RSD is caused initially by trauma to the body also but then again lyme likes to affect traumatized body parts and functions...

And Lyme is known to surface when there is a trauma like an automobile accident, surgery, stress, etc.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback.

The family doesn't have alot of money so I hate to push an expensive test on them if I'm not sure but at least I will give them some of your feedback regarding the similarities of nerve pain/injury/infection.

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Human,

If you can have your friend take a look at this site it may be very beneficial to them. Okay, I am bias toward Hyperbaric Oxygen. However if she does have RSD this may be a life saver and by the way it will also kill the spirochete if she actually has Lyme...

Click on Medical Incredible to see a resent news clip..

http://www.rsdtherapy.com/default.asp

Warmly,

Julia Sudylo RN/CHT

http://www.geocities.com/boejr1/

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement