LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lymph node swelling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lymph node swelling
bp
Member # 8626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently taking new abx for a persistent lyme infection and believe to be experiencing a "herx"--muscle spasms, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, back ache, joint pain, tingling, etc.

For those who have had lymph node involvement:

Can you describe the pain? (Mine feels like a burning type of pain--sometimes achy)

Did all of the nodes/areas become swollen at once or did you experience a progression of lymph swelling/pain in different areas?

Did the swelling/pain persist all day, or was it worse at certain times?

What made them feel better?

Many thanks!

Posts: 29 | From Valley Forge, PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey diddle diddle..

Too many questions for me tonight.. VERY tired .. sorry.

But.. a warm wet wash cloth (wet heating pad-but NOT electric) laid gently over the site of swollen nodes seems to help me. DON'T overdue it!!!

Drink a TON of water.. with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Hope others respond... and you feel better soon!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my initial treatment (iv) the lymph nodes on myhead where EXTREMELY PAINFUL. Even coming close to them with your hand would hurt. Could not even put my head on a pillow.

This lasted for about 4 days then slowly cleared up.

That was then.

Subsequent to that I have had periodically mildly painful lymph nodes along with fever. These would come and go on the symptom flare cycle. usually lasting a few days each cycle.

What helped in the past?.... Nothing.

At present this no longer happens .

Has your Dr considered bartonella infection? The lymph node thing is common with that co-infection, and also a cause of persistent Lyme.

Bascially the lymph nodes are clearing out the bacteria fragments that the anitibiotics are killing so it is a good sign.

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trina
Member # 9270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I was wondering the same thing.

I did do 5 weeks of doxy but one side of my neck or rather the lymp node it driving me crazy.It will be terribly achy and I will be to the point of going to the doctor and then it will stop. Then start up again.

Aso am having night sweats.That could be my age ( 43 ) but I never had these before.

Does this sound familar? I was going to post this question myself.

--------------------
Trina

Posts: 64 | From Mo. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trina,

The night sweats can definitely be a part of Lyme.

When I was still without a dx my gyn ran some tests and determined my night sweats were not due to hormone changes, so tried to pass it back my my endo, who completely dropped the ball.

At least my gyn believed I was physically ill. He was the only doc at the time that did.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cate
Member # 8787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
trina, that's exactly what i get. one sided (left), along my jaw, right in front of my ear and down the side of my neck. feels achy and heavy, and if i bounce on a chiropractic ball or trampoline, i can feel the edema that has gathered.

if it's really bad, i can feel it near my inner elbows (where other lymph nodes reside) or under the arm.

i've found the bouncing as well as lymph drainage massage helpful (if expensive) as well as herbs like red root and poke root (the latter is potentially toxic and must be used under a practitioner's care). lymph brushing with a soft bristle brush, in small circles, lightly, toward the heart helps get it moving too. if all else fails, i take a vicodin, which helps the pain.

oh and for those interested in lymph, here's a great diagram of how the lymph system operates:

http://www.deeptissue.com/learn/systems/lymph/ldrain.htm

[ 27. June 2006, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: Cate ]

Posts: 47 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VEE VEE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VEE VEE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start working on detoxing and draining those lymph nodes.
Posts: 107 | From MD | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bp
Member # 8626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an update:

I've been doing 15 minute sessions in our gym's dry sauna, as well as taking epsom salt soaks in the tub every few days.

Also, thanks to others' recommendations, I used a heating pad on the areas that hurt the most. If you're able to do some light excercise, that seems to help as well.

The lymph swelling has gone down considerably, and the pain almost vanished--except for the nagging jaw pain.

Posts: 29 | From Valley Forge, PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi bp,

After I was bitten in 2001, the lymph nodes in my arm pitts became very swollen, so bad I could not sleep on my side. (felt like rocks)
I don't remember burning pain?

I had progression of lymph swelling and pain in different areas. It persist for a while, it got better for me with treatment.

I sometimes still get this but not nearly as bad as it was, hope this helps.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swollen lymph nodes and glands = Bartonella

Night sweats = Babesia

Yes lymph drainage is very important to healing and I do a colonic right after it.

lyme x 9

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trina
Member # 9270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a call from my sis who is a PA and she wants me to see an Infectious disease doctor as soon as possible.

I called and found only one who is taking new patients.After she asked what my problem was and I told her... got lyme in may. Took 5 weeks of doxy and now I am extremly tired, feel real sick, swollen lymp nodes , night sweats, stiff neck ect.. she said well... their is only one doctor in the group taking new patients and the nurse will have to call you back.. nurse never called back.

You would think my money would be as good as the next persons wouldn't you? I mean we have good insurance and no outstanding medical bills.

What the heck is this all about? I will call back,

She said new patients take such a long time !
I could say the same about their office calls.

--------------------
Trina

Posts: 64 | From Mo. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VEE VEE:
Start working on detoxing and draining those lymph nodes.

And I will add do it POST HASTE>

I had severe swelling and pain, not burning, of my lymphs under the jaw last week, along with other more severe symptoms; because I took a VERY strong herb that I was not used to and was already on so many, that I had a gigantic over load of toxins.

I stopped the herb, Coptis, immediately. Then a couple days later stopped almost ALL my herbs, especially the anti spirochetal ones, and doubled up my Red Root tincture and kept taking the Milk Thistele too.

It is MORE important to CLEAR your Lymph system, which includes, your lymph nodes, liver, spleen, tonsils, etc., than taking the abx. THIS is true whether taking the abx OR herbs, or any other alternative that kills off Lyme and it's co-infections.

It is NOT good to herx HEAVY. Too hard on your system parts. The bugs didn't build up overnight, you won't get rid of all of them overnight, either. Go slow, cleanse, cleanse, cleanse, and keep your organs so you will have them yet when you get rid of the bad bugs.

Two popular lymph system cleansers are Red Root tincture and Milk Thistle.

I can see WHY you people who experience this are scared. I sure was, and I have been at this awhile now. Taught me a lesson to take it ALL more seriously. We MUST learn ALL we can to improve our health, AND live through the cures.

To your health.

jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, JimBob. So you believe the lymph swelling while on abx is a toxin overload? I'm going to have my daughter take a break for a couple of days and do nothing but cleanse.

She is good about doing something every day to keep things moving along, but we need to get rid of the droppings of the bacteria before we kill some more.

Her lymph glands have been swollen and painful and her stomach is a bit nauseated. She is sweating, sweating, sweating (not just a symptom of babs, bartonella is a big culprit), she is up all night peeing. So, I'm thinking her kidneys are overloaded.

Cleansing weekend coming up!

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymph stagnation is easily controlled with Lymphdiaral from Heel in NM that you can take by drops whenever necessary. It's super important to keep the lymph draining out the toxins and to support takeup of nutrients. Once you feel the bumps (swollen lymph glands), your body feels pretty sad. I took it throughout the whole disease.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BUMP!

Lymph Drainage. Let's talk about it people.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there Herbs I can take?
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recommend first: hydration with electrolytes(minerals and water)

Take the lymph drainage products from Heel or Pekana's Big Three detox.

Exercise...walk or rebounder.

Lymph massage and dry brushing pre shower.

Far Infrared Sauna

Then there is always liver support and binders to add if needed to remove what is being released.

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sick Tick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sick Tick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lymph nodes in my head and neck, and even my inner elbow and armpit, are on and off swollen and sore, have been from the beginning-varies throughout the day. Drinking lots of water seems to help. Then, a new one, some gland surrounding my voice box swelled up as well.

This worsened when I was on Augmentin brifely for treatment of a presumed lower respiratory infedtion

The good news-if lymph nodes are swollen but painful, that is rarely a sign of a cancer, but rather is almost always an infectious process-so don't let some non-LLMD convince you that it is probably a Hem-Onc issue!

I am relieved to hear that many others have experienced the gland swelling.

Forgot to mention-I also had a swollen lymph glad in my abdomen per a CT scan....now I am wondering if the rib pain many of us experience is related to swollen glands in our abdomen?

Posts: 283 | From where the ticks are! | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement