LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » sjogrens...just found out & freakin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sjogrens...just found out & freakin
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found out yesterday I have tested positive to this disease.MY test is as follows:

sjogrens antibodies SSA -normal/negatice is 1.00
Greater than 1.0 is psoitive. Mine was at 1.7-H

Rheumatoid factor was also high but not horrible at 14.

neg for lupus.Thyroid panals always normal.

I googled it and the symptoms are so close to my lyme: extreme fatigue,muscle/joint pain,gastro-reflux,perpheral neuropathy and occational dry eyes, & mouth. Can also cuase blood vessel problems/organ problems/immune sytem problems also.

Does anyone else have sjogrens and lyme too? Is this collateral damage associated with lyme? I wonder how common this is with chronic lyme. Or is this a total seperate disease?

I wonder also if this could this be another bougus disease of a group of "syndromes" that the medical establishment has come up with like CFIDS ect.. To explain away lyme? If so why would they have a blood test for it? What I am trying to ask is this a legitimate disease?

Now after 3 years of treatment I don't know how much of my symptoms are left over from having chronic lyme for 20 years and how much is it from sjogren's. The symtoms are so related.

How will I ever know if I got my lyme in remmission with having sjogrens symptoms so closely related? I am really feakin out. [Frown]

I did a search here in medical and there where only 3 posts.

Here is a wbb site I found when I googled it:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/sjogrenssyndrome.html

Any feedback or shared experince's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time
dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is what I found on the website. I split it up to make it easier to read. See below.

I hope you will continue treatment for Lyme disease. I am not sure this is one of the syndromes that Lyme can imitate;hopefully someone else here will know for sure.

But in either case, your immune system needs all the help you can give it.

I do worry that they will put you on steroids. If they do, please insist that you also take antibiotics, as steroids will allow Lyme disease bacteria to thrive and multiply.

Please keep us posted.
Ann - OH

[quote]
What is Sjogren's Syndrome?

Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disorder in which immune cells attack and destroy the glands that produce tears and saliva. Sjogren's syndrome is also associated with rheumatic disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis.

The hallmark symptoms of the disorder are dry mouth and dry eyes.

In addition, Sjogren's syndrome may cause skin, nose, and vaginal dryness, and may affect other organs of the body including the kidneys, blood vessels, lungs, liver, pancreas, and brain.

Sjogren's syndrome affects 1-4 million people in the United States. Most people are more than 40 years old at the time of diagnosis. Women are 9 times more likely to have Sjogren's syndrome than men.

Is there any treatment?

There is no known cure for Sjogren's syndrome nor is there a specific treatment to restore gland secretion.

Treatment is generally symptomatic and supportive.

Moisture replacement therapies may ease the symptoms of dryness.

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may be used to treat musculoskeletal symptoms.

For individuals with severe complications, corticosteroids or immunosuppressive drugs may be prescribed. [end quote]

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a good LLMD? This is a question for the LLMD. They should be able to tell you the interplay between the two diseases. I am sure there is one.

I dont have definitive answers though.

just pure sympathy.
I am sorry to hear this,
you must be very upset,
Hang in there,
Trails

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh and whatever you do DONT take steroids as the above article suggests!!!!!!!! [Eek!] [cussing]
Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ann-OH for responding.

And thanks for lisiting the page.

In most webb sites I have visited it was the following symptoms(not sure this one I have to go back and check) that caught my attentiom : Extreme faigue,muscle/joint pain,gastro-problems and neuropathy. (The dry rpoblems I can live with)

Not planning on stopping treatment for my lyme. And steroids are a big NO Never!

The delema comes in when I ask myself how much is the lyme and how much is from the sjogren's.

How will I know if I got my lyme into as much remmison as possible with the new knowledge of sjogrens since the symptoms are so similar?

Very frustrated and confused

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recent discussions on it.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=033435#000011

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=034508#000005

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=043286#000000

Test Usage:

Useful in the differential diagnosis of systemic lupus erythematosus {SLE} versus mixed connective tissue disease {MCTD}. Might be needed with suspected autoimmune disease {e.g., SLE} in patients with negative ANAs. ENA may be detectable as a speckled pattern ANA. Up to 85% of patients with Sjogren's disease without rheumatoid arthritis {RA} have SS-A and-or SS-B antibodies. In patients with Sjogren's with RA, incidence of SS-A and SS-B antibodies is lower.
Test Methodology:

Enzyme Immunoassay
Additional Information:

The ENA antibody test detects antibodies to nuclear antigens {RNP, Sm, La-SSB, Ro-SSA}: RNP ANTIBODIES ALONE: Have been reported to occur in 95-100% of patients with MCTD, in 25-40% of patients with SLE, in patients with overlap syndromes, and occasionally in scleroderma patients. Sm ANTIBODIES: Have been reported almost exclusively in SLE, and are noted in 30-40% of SLE patients.

A positive test provides strong support for the diagnosis of SLE. Ro-SSA ANTIBODIES: Have been reported to occur in 88-100% of patients with neonatal lupus, in about 25% of SLE patients, 25% of patients with Sjogren's syndrome and rarely {less than 1%} normal patients.

Approximately 70% of Ro positive, ANA negative patients have SLE. La-SSB ANTIBODIES: These are found in SLE and Sjogren's syndrome. Sjogren's syndrome may be present in 30-40% of patients with rheumatoid arthritis and is associated with other collagen diseases, including SLE, systemic sclerosis, polymyositis, and vasculitis.

Ro-SSA AND La-SSB ANTIBODIES: Ro and La {Sjogren's Antibodies} may be indicated not only for patients with keratoconjunctivitis sicca and xerostomia, but also for those with arthritis, myalgia, pulmonary fibrosis, and cardiac disease. Ro and La antibodies are reported to be present in newborns with SLE due to maternal transmission of antibodies.

Extractable nuclear antibody {ENAB} includes Anti-Smith, Anti-RNP, Anti-Ro, and Anti-La. Sjogren's antibodies {ROLA} includes Anti-Ro and Anti-La. Smith and RNP {SMRN} includes Anti-Smith and Anti-RNP. Each antibody may also be ordered individually: Anti-Ro {ENA-RO}, Anti-La {ENA-LA}, Anti-RNP {ENA-RNP}, or Anti-Smith {ENA-SMITH}.

Get a LLMD lyme causes have the stuff there looking for.

Many Lyme patients were firstly diagnosed with other illnesses such as Juvenile Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Reactive Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Infectious Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, Raynaud's Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Interstitial Cystis, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Fifth's Fisease, Multiple Sclerosis, scleroderma, lupus, early ALS, early Alzheimers Disease, crohn's disease, m�ni�res syndrome, reynaud's syndrome, sjogren's syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, prostatitis, psychiatric disorders {bipolar, depression, etc.}, encephalitis, sleep disorders, thyroid disease and various other illnesses.

If you have received one of these diagnoses please go to our symptoms page and see if you recognize a broader range of symptoms.

If you are a doctor please re-examine these diagnoses, incorporating Lyme in the differential diagnoses.

link

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Thanks Trail for your sensitive understanding.

I had a wonderful LLMD but the ******* medical [cussing] kinda put him out-of-touch for a while. Treated me the last 3 years and brought me back in some areas from my last relapse.

I am on a stomach holiday from my meds because my stomach gave out. - gastritis. I always thought my GI issues where from lyme but now I just don't know the line blurrs in many of overlapping symptoms from lyme and sjogrens..

BTW I would never ever take steroids.No way no how!

And thanks treepatrol for lisiting the links and the added info.

I tested neg for lupus. Not sure I understand the medical stuff at the bottom. This will take a while to figure out.

Very confusing as I am not sure this is a legitamate disease?

I am so digusted I am gonna go back to bed

--------------------
5dana8

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 5dana8:

Very confusing as I am not sure this is a legitamate disease?

Its a syndrom that means they havent a clue well matbe a clue.
Lyme causes a lot of the same stuff. to bad about losing touch with your llmd.

--------------------
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Hey treepatrol

Reasurring about the "syndrome" info. Not to be a nag but if it is a syndrome.I wonder why do they have a blood test for it? Makes me wonder how legitamate this blood test is.

Yes. I agree, lyme cause's alot of these symptoms. Now,Not sure where one starts and the other begins.

I know. Hudge bummer about my LLMD. For him and for me [Frown]

--------------------
5dana8

abacomah
Member # 5633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abacomah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I have tested positive for Sjogren's (4.5); Lyme Disease (Western Blot) and Candida 12,000+ anitbodies. I know where you are coming from on what issue is causing what symptoms because the symptoms for all these overlap.

I address all three in my treatment plan. I believe it's up to me to manage my plan based on my symptoms with the help of my LLMD, rheumatologist and GP since there is no one Doctor who specializes in all three.

I do believe one may have the tendency or heredity for Sjogren's and it is triggered by an immune response....in my case probably Lyme. I know my Candida is a result of Lyme and antibiotics. Hope this helps.
MAH

Posts: 58 | From SC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Thanks abacomah

for your feedback. It does help.

If I might ask what does your what rheumatlogist do for you in the way of treatment.?

I went to one locally once and all she wanted to do was put me on steroids. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I guess there are goods ones and bad ones..

The best and only GP in my area couldn't diaganois his way out of a paper bag so I have not much confidence in either. Not really sure what to do yet.

Thanks again. Food for thought. I appreciate it

--------------------
5dana8

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Main Entry: syn�drome
Pronunciation: sin-drm also -drm
Function: noun
: a group of signs and symptoms that occur together and characterize a particular abnormality

One entry found for Sj�gren's syndrome.

Main Entry: Sj��gren's syndrome
Variant{s}: also Sj�gren syndrome -sh-gren(z)-
Function: noun
: a chronic inflammatory autoimmune disease that affects especially older women, that is characterized by dryness of mucous membranes especially of the eyes and mouth and by infiltration of the affected tissues by lymphocytes, and that is often associated with rheumatoid arthritis -- called also sicca syndrome, Sj�gren's, Sj�gren's disease
Sj�gren, Henrik Samuel Conrad {1899-1986}, Swedish ophthalmologist. Sj�gren served as a professor of medicine at Lund, Sweden, and eventually held the position of chief physician at the hospital there. He invented ophthalmological instruments. He first described Sj�gren's syndrome in 1933.

medical dictionary

Lots of syndrome's Mostly symptoms lyme'is a tough germ it also attacks lymphocytes.

--------------------

Newbie Links

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi dana,
I'm no expert on sjogrens but my doctor diagnosed me with sicca and said it *might* be sjogren's. He said one would need a biopsy of the lip in order to know for sure. I declined at this time.

Sjogren's is common in fibromyalgia. Chronic Lyme often results in fibromyalgia. I would have to guess that sjogren's *could* be a result of chronic lyme.

My doctor (not LLMD) wanted to put me on a medication called pilocarpine (brand name salagen). It is not a steroid.
http://www.medicinenet.com/pilocarpine/article.htm
I declined due to fluid and blood pressure issues.

As you've probably read, you can have increased tooth decay and damage to eyes due to dryness. If you don't go on medication, the least you will need to do is be meticulous with dental care (such as cleanings often, floss everyday, brush a min of 2X per day). I have my teeth cleaned every 3 months. Also, if your eyes start to itch keep them hydrated with a good hydrating eye drop. I'm not recommending this for anyone else but the only thing I've found that is helpful for the itching is a very diluted solution of colloidal silver in distilled water. I have no idea what could/would/should be said about the safety of using it that way but it does give me relief when nothing else does. I also have the swallowing problem which seems to have gotten a bit better on antibiotics and with the use of rife.

Some studies show that fatty acid metabolism is a problem in those who have sjogren's. I supplement with Omega-3, Omega-6 and Omega-9 and yet my recent lab tests showed low Omega-3's. My LLMD suggested this might be due to me not absorbing them.

Here is a study on Sjogren's and EFA's

Essential fatty acid and prostaglandin metabolism in Sjogren's syndrome,
systemic sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis

Another study was done that did not show improvement.

Treatment of Sjogren's syndrome with essential fatty acids, pyridoxine and
vitamin C.

Health Encyclopedia - Sjogren's Natural Treatment

Related Terms
* Sicca; Xerostomia
Principal Proposed Natural Treatments
* Herb-Vitamin-Mineral Combination; N-Acetyl Cysteine
Other Proposed Natural Treatments
* Aloe vera; Bovine Colostrum; Citrus Bioflavonoids; Dandelion; DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone); Echinacea; Fish Oil; Gamma-linolenic Acid; Garlic; Inositol; Magnesium; Methionine; Olive Leaf Extract; Red Clover; Vitamin A; Vitamin C; Vitamin E; Zinc

LEF - Sj�gren's Syndrome: Online References For Health Concerns

I'm not a doctor but my personal feeling is that sjogren's is likely caused by an infection for some people.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dana, I've had dry mouth ever since I had to start ALL these darn pills. Dentist finally said I had it too when my tongue was so dry the cloth stuck to it when he examined my tongue.

You can buy a lubricant over the counter, but it didn't help me at all. I DRINK 4-5 64 oz. jugs of water daily. Everywhere I go; jug goes!

Yes, dental care is a must!

I copied this from treepatrol or someone else's link from Canada....

PRINT AND CIRCLE ALL YES ANSWERS

(20 yes represents a serious potential and Lyme should be included in diagnostic workup )

Symptoms of Lyme Disease

The Tick Bite (fewer than 50% recall a tick bite or get/see the rash)

Rash at site of bite
Rashes on other parts of your body
Rash basically circular and spreading out (or generalized)
Raised rash, disappearing and recurring

Head, Face, Neck

Unexplained hair loss
Headache, mild or severe, Seizures
Pressure in Head, White Matter Lesions in Head (MRI)
Twitching of facial or other muscles
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Tingling of nose, (tip of) tongue, cheek or facial flushing
Stiff or painful neck
Jaw pain or stiffness
Dental problems (unexplained)
Sore throat, clearing throat a lot, phlegm ( flem ), hoarseness, runny nose

Eyes/Vision

Double or blurry vision
Increased floating spots
Pain in eyes, or swelling around eyes
Oversensitivity to light
Flashing lights/Peripheral waves/phantom images in corner of eyes

Ears/Hearing

Decreased hearing in one or both ears, plugged ears
Buzzing in ears
Pain in ears, oversensitivity to sounds
Ringing in one or both ears

Digestive and Excretory Systems

Diarrhea
Constipation
Irritable bladder (trouble starting, stopping) or Interstitial cystitis
Upset stomach (nausea or pain) or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)

Musculoskeletal System

Bone pain, joint pain or swelling, carpal tunnel syndrome
Stiffness of joints, back, neck, tennis elbow
Muscle pain or cramps, (Fibromyalgia)

Respiratory and Circulatory Systems

Shortness of breath, can't get full/satisfying breath, cough
Chest pain or rib soreness
Night sweats or unexplained chills
Heart palpitations or extra beats
Endocarditis, Heart blockage

Neurologic System

Tremors or unexplained shaking
Burning or stabbing sensations in the body
Fatigue, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Weakness, peripheral neuropathy or partial paralysis
Pressure in the head
Numbness in body, tingling, pinpricks
Poor balance, dizziness, difficulty walking
Increased motion sickness
Lightheadedness, wooziness

Psychological well-being

Mood swings, irritability, bi-polar disorder
Unusual depression
Disorientation (getting or feeling lost)
Feeling as if you are losing your mind
Over-emotional reactions, crying easily
Too much sleep, or insomnia
Difficulty falling or staying asleep
Narcolepsy, sleep apnea
Panic attacks, anxiety

Mental Capability

Memory loss (short or long term)
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration or reading
Going to the wrong place
Speech difficulty (slurred or slow)
Stammering speech
Forgetting how to perform simple tasks

Reproduction and Sexuality

Loss of sex drive
Sexual dysfunction
Unexplained menstral pain, irregularity
Unexplained breast pain, discharge
Testicular or pelvic pain

General Well-being

Unexplained weight gain, loss
Extreme fatigue
Swollen glands/lymph nodes
Unexplained fevers (high or low grade)
Continual infections (sinus, kidney, eye, etc.)
Symptoms seem to change, come and go
Pain migrates (moves) to different body parts
Early on, experienced a "flu-like" illness, after which you have not since felt well.
Low body temperature

Allergies/Chemical sensitivities

Increased affect from alcohol and possible worse hangover

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Thanks again treepatrol . The more I read the more it does sound like a "syndrome"

No way do I questioning my lyme diagnosis. This I know for positive from living it and treating it the last 20 years. It's a tough b@$^@rd.

And my lyme happens to respond to ABX over the years in classic lyme fashion. Sjogrens's wouldn't explain much of my neurological symptoms along the way either. I don't hear much about abx and Sjogrens. I wonder if it is just another lyme disease parading as a "syndrome"

TerryK

Thanks so much for the added insight.

And the great links too.

It's funny because alot of the supps I already are taking for lyme are recommended for Sjogrens.

Breifly reading the links, there doesn't seem to be any treatment options are far as rx goes. Other than eye and mouth help. So maybe it's just as well.

p.s. So the blood test isn't the definitive test. A lip biopsy is? I would also decline the lip biospy too. But I really would like to known for sure. Not that it could make a heck of alot of difference.

Thanks again all for the support.

I also wonder like terry if the Sjogrens is caused or re-lated to lyme. My first impression I would say maybe.

--------------------
5dana8

5dana8
Member # 7935

Thanks bettyg

for all your feedback. And appreciate the eye and mouth tips.

Thanks for posting the list.

Yes. I've had lyme for 20 years and have had or still have all but 5 or 6 of the above listed symptoms. No question about it at all.

My biggest fear or dismay is that after so many years of intensive lyme treatment , not sure where one disease starts and and the other ones ends. I.E : Is my persistant fatigue still staying because of the Sjogrens or stubborn lyme symptom. Ect..

But this may just be a moot point if Sjogrens is in fact lyme disease parading as another syndrome. And a moot point also if the blood test isn't definetive and a lip biospy is needed.

Thanks again Bettyg for taking the time and energy to help.

take care

--------------------
5dana8

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5dana8

See the following websites that deal with rheumatic diseases including sjogrens.

www.roadback.org
www.arthritistrust.org

I had a wonderful dentist say to me when I was freaking out over my RA diagnosis:

What is RA? Its not a bacteria. Its not a virus. It is the name for a disorder of which cause is not known. Lyme is one cause that is known. Once you cure the Lyme, the RA goes away.

This made me feel so much better. Perhaps the same is true about sjogrens?

I hope the websites above will give you some valuable information. They both are geared to an antibiotic treatment as opposed to steriods and immune suppressors.

Also, I read that you can have Candiditis without having rheumatoid arthritis, but you can NOT have rheumatoid arthritis without having Candiditis, so definitely check into yeast (systemic not just confined to the vaginal area) Curing this will help with alot of symptoms.

Now, take a deeeep breath while saying "I am" and exhale while saying "relaxed". Repeat until it is true.

Good luck. It is really lyme I am sure!

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Within the last several weeks I have developed the symptoms of sjogrens as well--dry mouth, dry nose, and dry eyes. I would recommend regular checkups with the eye doctor as sjorgrens can do eye damage and see what eye drops are recommended.

For the last several days I have started using biotene toothpaste and it does help. I also chew Spry gum and use Spry lemon mints (xylitol).

The pharmacist said to be careful with the prescription medications that increase saliva production, because they may throw off the balance of natural flora in the mouth.

I believe sjogrens is due to lyme, but what I find interesting is my mother has the autoimmune disease celiac. I wonder if that makes me more prone to this and if it why I am having trouble getting rid of Lyme. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8908 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

" I believe sjogren's is due to lyme,but what I find interesting is my mother has the autoimmune disease celiac. I wonder if this makes me more prone to lyme & if this is why I am having trouble getting rid of lyme"

Very interesting point Hiker. I wonder along the same lines today also.

Sorry to hear about being so dry lately.The drops and toothpaste and gum are all good tips

Thanks and hope you can feel better soon too.

--------------------
5dana8

5dana8
Member # 7935

Thanks luvs2ride

For the related links.

I am sure its lyme. Not sure which came first the chicken or the egg. I guess it doesn't matter since I have done just about all I can do for the lyme but am still moving onward in the direction of lyme remmisssion for sure.

And also thanks for the related yeast and breathing tip. Pretty sure I have the yeast on the run for now. Knock on wood - click my heels 3 times

Take care

--------------------
5dana8

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 5dana8:

" I believe sjogren's is due to lyme, but what I find interesting is my mother has the autoimmune disease celiac. I wonder if this makes me more prone to lyme & if this is why I am having trouble getting rid of lyme" Very interesting point Hiker.

Dana, you just answered another of your problems: you HAVE inherited your Mom's celiac gene and are allergic to wheat and perhaps rye/oats/barley.

Have yourself tested for food allergies 95 items from Meridian labs. They did mine; that's how I learned I was allergic to gluten, wheat, cow's milk, egg whites, 3 cheeses, etc.

Reading the celiac book learned about inheriting disease from 1 or both parents. If you have KIDS, THEY TOO will inherit this sometime in their lifetime.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Dont forget some of the abx's we get on can also cause alot of the dryness symptoms.

--------------------

Newbie Links

5dana8
Member # 7935

hey Bettty

I was just re-typing hiker's statement that her mom had an autoimmune disease celiac .

Thought it was interesting that her family genes may have predisposed hiker to having a hard time shaking the lyme. This makes some sense.

I was tested for celiac and came up neg. But thanks for thinking of me.

Treepatrol. I haven't taken abx for 4 months. I am on a drug holiday because of my stomach issues but am doing rife and some herbs.

The dry eyes I can live with. It was the other closey related lyme symptoms that closely resemble sjogrens that have me concerned like extreme fatigue,muscleee/joint pain, gastro problems and some neurological that may blurr between disease's.

But How much to know is lyme and how much is sjogrens's. I think only an LLMD would know for sure.

Was up late last night reading about sjogrens.

I have come along way in treatment with abx over the last 3 years for my lyme (God Bless my LLMD)and just don't have the energy to focus on a "syndrome" that may or may not be related to lyme. Was my thinking this morning.

Sorry for the temporary panic. I figure I have enough to worry about with my lyme and no energy to spare on a disease that has no treatments and very little diagnostic conclusions.

There are alot more sicker people-specially the newbies that need our feedback. So don't want to pull up my thread agian for replys.

Woke up this morning and decided to ignore the whole thing and just continue to concentrate on my lyme.

Thanks again for all your help,input and reassurances.I appreciate you guys more than words can say. [kiss]

God Bless. And may we all find our paths to wellness

[ 28. June 2006, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: 5dana8 ]

--------------------
5dana8

gt2grdn
Member # 9149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gt2grdn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey dana- my name is allison and i have had lymes and sjogren's for 9 years. i was actually diagnosed with sjogrens at 17 yrs of age, before i was diagnosed with lymes.

however, i am positive the lyme triggered it.

i would not worry about having to take steroids. i have never taken them. you would have to be really really bad off for the doctor to give you steroids.

i have taken plaquenil for 7 1/2 years now and it seems to keep things under control. my joints get really sore if i miss even one dose. i use eye drops occasionally and drink lots of water for the dry mouth.

you probably know this, but if you use eye drops, buy the ones without preservatives. also, if the doc puts you on plaquenil, you will have to go once a year to the eye doctor for a field-of-vision test.

the side effects sheet for plaquenil looks terrifying, but i have never had any problems while on it. its a pretty safe drug.

all the symptoms do overlap and i have questions about that too. i've always had both, so how do i know what is causing what. even people with sjogren's struggle with brain fog.

i'm just waiting to see how much i improve on the lymes treatment and see what symptoms are left over. i don't know that i will ever know which symptoms go with which disease.

--------------------
"We imagine that when we are thrown out of our usual ruts all is lost, but it is only then that what is new and good begins. While there is life, there is happiness. There is much, much before us." -Pierre, War and Peace

Posts: 14 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dana....just stopping by to say I'm sorry you're dealing with one more thing. I've often wondered if I have sjogren's as well. I have all the symptoms, but have wondered if my dry mouth is simply from the Lyme meds??

Of course that may not explain the other symptoms... stupid Lyme!

Hang in there. Aren't you glad you have Lymenet for support? These folks are awesome!

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement