LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bicillin LA i.m. support literature needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bicillin LA i.m. support literature needed
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In order to apply for bicillin shots (it is Canada!)I need to provide to healthcare system decision makers some support literature saying that bicillin works well for chronic Lyme; preferebly clinical trials but some statements of MD's printed in medical journals will do, I hope.

Any help will be appreciated.

PS
Leaving town for 3 days, will check responses after return

[ 17. August 2006, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Areneli ]

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't found a thing yet in terms of written clinical trials or anything. My insurance denied paying anything for my Bicillin, I appealed and lost. They consider it experimental.

I have heard Lyme doctors talk or write about using it, but I don't think it will hold up as substantiation. I think Dr. B's guidelines mention it, but again, it's not a medical journal or clinical trial.

If you find anything please post and I will do the same in case I want to take my appeal to the next legal step.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all I ahve found. Bear in mind that most of the research money goes into "proving" we are incurable, if we were even sick to begin with. Note the third author.

The Lyme Disease Network
Conference Abstract

Title: Intramuscular Bicillin For Persistent Pediatric Lyme Disease
Authors: Corsaro L; Montemayer M; Fallon B
Conference: 9th Annual International Scientific Conference on Lyme Disease & Other Tick-Borne Disorders, Westin Copley Plaza Hotel, Boston, MA, April 19-20, 1996
Presenter: Louis Corsaro, M.D.
Northern Westchester Hospital
Columbia University, New York City

Abstract:
Steere et al ('85) reported that 3 weeks of IM benzathine penicillin led to a complete resolution of Lyme arthritis in 35% of patients. Cimmino and Accardo ('92) reported two cases of adult patients with chronic Lyme arthritis resistant to the recommended antibiotic regimens who were cured by 2-6 months of treatment with benzathine penicillin. Based solely on these reports, the use of IM Penicillin among patients with persistent Lyme disease has become common. As a preliminary study of efficacy, we conducted a chart review and follow-up of all patients with seropositive Lyme disease treated with IM Bicillin in a private pediatric out-patient office in a Lyme endemic area between 1993 and 1995.

Methods: The diagnosis of Lyme disease was based on at least one seropositive test and typical articular or neurological symptoms. Treatment consisted of either Bicillin LA or CR 1.2-2.4 million units administered weekly. Relapse was defined as the return of any symptoms which required greater than two weeks of Abx treatment. To assess efficacy, the longest period without symptoms prior to IM Bicillin was compared to the symptom free interval after bicillin.

Results: 61 charts were reviewed of which 25 met study criteria for seropositive Lyme disease. Mean age at time of chart review 11.9 +/- 4.4 years. Mean age at time of Lyme disease onset was 9.4 +/- 4.3 years. Mean duration of symptoms prior to the administration of antibiotics was 16 +/- 32 weeks. All patients failed to sustain improvement after courses of oral antibiotics ranging from 4 to 22 weeks (mean 25.9 +/- 29 wks; median 14 wks). Five children received IV antibiotics and all failed to sustain improvement despite having received 4-27 weeks of IV treatment (mean 9.6 +?- 9.8 wks; median 6 weeks). The longest period free of clinically significant Lyme disease since symptom onset and prior to receiving IM Bicillin ranged from 0-76 wks (mean 60.2 +/- 84.2 wks.; median 8 wks). Of the twenty-five patients given IM PCN, the mean duration of IM treatment was 4-38 weeks (mean 14.5 +/- 8.9 wks; median 10.5 wks). One was still receiving treatment at the time of follow-up and another was symptom free having just completed treatment. Of the 23 children available to assess relapse after treatment, 19 were symptom free, 3 had mild symptoms that did not require treatment, and 1 relapsed and was being retreated. Among the 22 relapse free children, the follow-up period ranged from 2 to 62 week (mean 27 +/- 15.5 wks; median 22 wks). Seventeen of the 22 children had exceeded their longest relapse free interval prior to IM Bicillin, 14 of whom had been relapse free by more than twice the duration of their pre-Bicillin relapse free interval.

Conclusion: A chart review and follow-up studies suggest that intramuscular Bicillin may be a particularly effective treatment for children with antibiotic refractory persistent Lyme disease whether previously treated orally or with
intravenous antibiotics.

Unique ID: 96LDF025

The Lyme Disease Network of NJ, Inc.
43 Winton Road
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
http://www.lymenet.org/

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I didn't post this thread, I'd like to say thanks to David. This is the first article (versus doctor's guidelines or speech) I've seen on it, although it focuses on pediatric and arthritis, neither one being relevant for me. But I will add this to my documentation as I debate whether to proceed with further appeals.

The next time I see my LLMD I'm going to ask him if he has any literature. He knows that I'm paying out-of-pocket for Bicillin.

Thanks,
Jill

--------------------

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill~ Do a search on "insurance appeals" and my letter to my insurance company should come up. It may help you.

Antibitoics are NOT experimental for treating a bacterial infection. IM bicillin is an antibiotic. Lyme disease is a bacterial infection.

Areneli~ I would think the ILADS site has some info on using bicillin. www.ilads.org Look on the right hand side for treatment guidelines. Also, Dr. B's article on the same site mentions bicillin.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Thanks, Timaca.

Yes, I do have Dr. B's guidelines including Bicillin, and a CD of a speak of a well-known ILADS doctor mentioning Bicillin. I have no idea if that will be considered substantiation, especially given that Blue Cross specifically states in their Lyme guidelines that intramuscular antibiotics are considered experimental for Lyme.

I've already lost the Blue Cross appeal, which I figured I would, so I have to decide whether to go the next step, which I remember you posting about with your case. I'll look up your posts again.

I also have to find out how much my LLMD wants to get involved, but he's a wonderful person, so I assume he would help me.

The other issue is whether to fight the Bicillin or save my energy for the future IV fight.

Thanks so much,
Jill

--------------------

Jill E.
Member # 9121

Thanks, Cave. I hadn't thought about researching the Syphillis/spirochete angle for sources about Bicillin treatment. I'll check that out. Let's just hope the insurance doesn't misunderstand if I make the parallels and suddenly write down that I have yet another disease!!

Jill

--------------------

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,

I doubt if your Insurance Company will ok bicillin for lyme based on it's documeneted effectiveness for syphilus. But they would probably ok it if your Dr would give you that additional Diagnosis of syphilus based on your Sx's. I wouldn't care about adding another label to my disease. The only question would be if your Dr would feel comfortable doing that Most of the Sx's are the same anyways.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 1992 Aug;51(8):1007-8.

Long term treatment of chronic Lyme arthritis with benzathine penicillin.

Cimmino MA, Accardo S.

Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Universita di Genova, Genoa, Italy.

The cases are reported of two patients with chronic Lyme arthritis resistant to the recommended antibiotic regimens who were cured by long term treatment with benzathine penicillin. It is suggested that the sustained therapeutic levels of penicillin were effective either by the inhibition of germ replication or by lysis of the spirochaetes when they were leaving their sanctuaries.

PMID: 1417107 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Thanks, ldfighter, - wow, another good reference article. When the poster who started this thread comes back, it will be filled with great ideas. In the meantime, I am printing them out as fast as I can and adding them to my insurance appeal file.

And, no, I will not have my LLMD diagnose me with Syphillis that I absolutely do not have just to try to get Bicillin paid for. It took me nine years to get insurance and that was before Lyme! I'm not adding any diseases I don't have! And Syphillis is increasing in the HIV community so I would think insurance companies would make all the wrong assumptions if they see a Syphillis diagnosis.

But again, at least we can get Bicillin in the U.S. I feel badly for our Canadian friends who have to jump through even more hoops.

Jill

--------------------

Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thrilled with responses.
Thank you all

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

OK, I will be submitting this:

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease
Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses
Joseph J Burrascano Jr, MD
Fifteenth Edition

Page 7
For patients who are very ill, or in those who cannot tolerate oral medications or achieve adequate levels,
then parenteral therapy is given. Choices include benzathine penicillin (Bicillin LA), 1.2 million units IM
three times per week. Intravenous can include ceftriaxone, 2g IV daily, or cefotaxime, 6g daily either as a
continuous infusion or as 2g IV q8h.

Page 25
Late stage infections with Borrelia burgdorferi, the agent of Lyme Disease, often require aggressive
therapy. Comparative studies published by Fallon et. al. at Columbia University have shown that
parenteral therapy is superior to oral therapy in this group of patients. Options include intramuscular long
acting penicillin G (benzathine penicillin, or “Bicillin-LA”) or intravenous antibiotics.
For an antibiotic in the penicillin class to be effective, time-killing curves show that significant levels of
antibiotic must be sustained for 72 hours. Bicillin LA is an oil-based formulation that meets these criteria.

Author refers to:
Corsaro L Intramuscular Bicillin for
persistent pediatric Lyme disease.
Proceedings of the 9th International
Conference on Lyme Borreliosis & Other
Tick-borne Disorders (1999).

Evidence-based guidelines for the management of Lyme disease
Expert Rev. Anti-infect. Ther. 2(1), (2004)

Intramuscular benzathine penicillin (1.2 to 2.4 million units per week) is sometimes effective in patients who do not respond to oral and intravenous antibiotics. If intramuscular benzathine penicillin is used, long-term therapy may be necessary due to the low serum concentration of this form of penicillin [46]. Luft and colleagues report, “It was demonstrated that while B. burgdorferi may be sensitive to relatively small concentrations of penicillin and ceftriaxone, the organismis killed slowly. This implies that, as in syphilis, prolonged blood levels of these drugs may be necessary in order
to ensure cure” [46].
One-third of a chronic Lyme disease population responded to intramuscular benzathine penicillin (1.2 to 2.4 million units per week) [16–18]. Benzathine penicillin has mainly been used in patients who have had multiple relapses while receiving oral or intravenous antibiotic therapy or who are intolerant of oral or intravenous antibiotics.

The authors refer to (46) Luft BJ, Volkman DJ, Halperin JJ, Dattwyler RJ. New chemotherapeutic approaches in the treatment of Lyme borreliosis. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 539, 352–361 (1988).
Also to (16)Battaglia HR, Alvarez G, Mercau A, Fay M, Campod�nico M. Psychiatric symptomatology associated with presumptive Lyme disease: Clinical evidence. J. Spiro Tick Dis. 7, 22–25 (2000). (17) Corsaro L Intramuscular Bicillin for persistent pediatric Lyme disease. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Lyme Borreliosis & Other Tick-borne Disorders (1999). (18) Cimmino MA, Accardo S. Long-term treatment of chronic Lyme arthritis with benzathine penicillin. Ann. Rheum. Dis. 51, 1007–1008 (1992).

Other sources (miscellaneous)
Title: Intramuscular Bicillin For Persistent Pediatric Lyme Disease
Authors: Corsaro L; Montemayer M; Fallon B
Conference: 9th Annual International Scientific Conference on Lyme Disease & Other Tick-Borne Disorders, Westin Copley Plaza Hotel, Boston, MA, April 19-20, 1996
Presenter: Louis Corsaro, M.D.
Northern Westchester Hospital
Columbia University, New York City

Abstract:
Steere et al ('85) reported that 3 weeks of IM benzathine penicillin led to a complete resolution of Lyme arthritis in 35% of patients. Cimmino and Accardo ('92) reported two cases of adult patients with chronic Lyme arthritis resistant to the recommended antibiotic regimens who were cured by 2-6 months of treatment with benzathine penicillin. Based solely on these reports, the use of IM Penicillin among patients with persistent Lyme disease has become common. As a preliminary study of efficacy, we conducted a chart review and follow-up of all patients with seropositive Lyme disease treated with IM Bicillin in a private pediatric out-patient office in a Lyme endemic area between 1993 and 1995.

Methods: The diagnosis of Lyme disease was based on at least one seropositive test and typical articular or neurological symptoms. Treatment consisted of either Bicillin LA or CR 1.2-2.4 million units administered weekly. Relapse was defined as the return of any symptoms which required greater than two weeks of Abx treatment. To assess efficacy, the longest period without symptoms prior to IM Bicillin was compared to the symptom free interval after bicillin.

Results: 61 charts were reviewed of which 25 met study criteria for seropositive Lyme disease. Mean age at time of chart review 11.9 +/- 4.4 years. Mean age at time of Lyme disease onset was 9.4 +/- 4.3 years. Mean duration of symptoms prior to the administration of antibiotics was 16 +/- 32 weeks. All patients failed to sustain improvement after courses of oral antibiotics ranging from 4 to 22 weeks (mean 25.9 +/- 29 wks; median 14 wks). Five children received IV antibiotics and all failed to sustain improvement despite having received 4-27 weeks of IV treatment (mean 9.6 +?- 9.8 wks; median 6 weeks). The longest period free of clinically significant Lyme disease since symptom onset and prior to receiving IM Bicillin ranged from 0-76 wks (mean 60.2 +/- 84.2 wks.; median 8 wks). Of the twenty-five patients given IM PCN, the mean duration of IM treatment was 4-38 weeks (mean 14.5 +/- 8.9 wks; median 10.5 wks). One was still receiving treatment at the time of follow-up and another was symptom free having just completed treatment. Of the 23 children available to assess relapse after treatment, 19 were symptom free, 3 had mild symptoms that did not require treatment, and 1 relapsed and was being retreated. Among the 22 relapse free children, the follow-up period ranged from 2 to 62 week (mean 27 +/- 15.5 wks; median 22 wks). Seventeen of the 22 children had exceeded their longest relapse free interval prior to IM Bicillin, 14 of whom had been relapse free by more than twice the duration of their pre-Bicillin relapse free interval.

Conclusion: A chart review and follow-up studies suggest that intramuscular Bicillin may be a particularly effective treatment for children with antibiotic refractory persistent Lyme disease whether previously treated orally or with intravenous antibiotics.

Unique ID: 96LDF025

Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 1992 Aug;51(8):1007-8.
Long term treatment of chronic Lyme arthritis with benzathine penicillin.
Cimmino MA, Accardo S.
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Universita di Genova, Genoa, Italy.

The cases are reported of two patients with chronic Lyme arthritis resistant to the recommended antibiotic regimens who were cured by long term treatment with benzathine penicillin. It is suggested that the sustained therapeutic levels of penicillin were effective either by the inhibition of germ replication or by lysis of the spirochaetes when they were leaving their sanctuaries. PMID: 1417107 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

PS
Unless my doctor would change something

timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good Areneli! Let us know what happens!

I got an IM bicillin shot in ther right butt yesterday. It is SORE today. It's not always this bad, but I am HURTING! [Frown]

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

The irony is that even if I get this bicillin LA I still have to pay for it myself about $50 (Canadian) per shot.

See also:
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=044226

[ 06. July 2006, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Areneli ]

Jill E.
Member # 9121

Yes, I pay $50 shot in U.S. dollars.

If you do get the Bicillin, look for my post and the replies to it by searching the title Minimizing Bicillin Discomfort. I asked everyone who was on Bicillin plus a few nurses for recommendations on how to make the injections less painful.

Actually, most of them haven't been too bad, so don't worry.

Take care,
Jill

--------------------

psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an excellent talk given by Dr. S (very long) and toward the end of it he discusses abx therapy, including Bicillin LA.

Dr Ray Stricker - York 2004 LDA Conference
TOP 10 MYTHS ABOUT LYME DISEASE

American television has a top ten list, a top ten list of just about
everything

This is my top 10 list of the top ten myths about Lyme Disease:

(and just substitute whatever country you are from for California)

10. There is no Lyme Disease in California

9. Only deer ticks carry Borrelia the cause of Lyme Disease

8. All patients with Lyme Disease have a skin rash

7. Arthritis is the only symptom of Lyme Disease

6. A negative ELISA test rules out LD

5. Men and women react the same on Lyme Western Blots

4. All laboratories do a good job with Lyme Disease testing

3. Two weeks of antibiotic therapy cures all Lyme Disease

2. The neurological treatment of Lyme Disease are easy to treat

1. There is no such thing as Chronic Lyme Disease (the number 1 myth)

Now, unfortunately, I have heard these sentences, every single one of
these sentences, from a physician in the United States at one time or
another so, unfortunately, we have a long way to go to convince the
medical community that Lyme Disease is a serious problem. So I am going
to talk a little bit about generally the diagnosis and treatment of Lyme
Disease with perhaps a little bit different a perspective and also talk
about where we can go with diagnosing and treating this infection.
LYME DISEASE

1.DEFINITION AND PATHOGENESIS

2. SYMPTOMS

3. TESTING

4. TREATMENT

5. HERXHEIMER and CO-INFECTIONS

6. Q & A SESSION
Definition and Pathogenesis

As you all know, Lyme Disease is caused by the spiral bacteria, Borrelia
burgdorferii, and its variants in Europe the tendency to other strains
garinii and afzelii that are more common and unfortunately also cause
more neurologic disease than what we see in the United States but all of
these strains of Borrelia have the potential to cause serious chronic
infection.

It was sort of ironic to hear Dr Wainwright say that microbiologists
don't know how to look through microscopes any more and actually kind of
shocking but even if they are focussed on genetic aspects of microbes,
Borrelia presents a very interesting array of genetic problems and it is
shown pretty much on the following slide:

Characteristics of Borrelia burgdorferi

� Over 1500 gene sequences

� At least 132 functioning genes (in contrast T Pallidium has 22
functioning genes)

� 21 plasmids (three times more than any known bacteria

� ``Stealth'' pathology: evades the immune response

Borrelia has over 1500 gene sequences so this is a very, very complex
bacteria. Now, unfortunately, we really don't know what over 1400 of
those genes do or if they do anything but when you talk about not having
the gene for something in this bacteria, the answer is, well you don't
really know that, I mean, the gene might be there, we just haven't found
it yet. However, we do know that there are at least 132 functioning
genes in Borrelia and this is in contrast to Treponema pallidum which is
the spirochaete that causes Syphilis. This bacteria has only 22
functioning genes so Borrelia is a much more complex organism from a
genetic point of view compared to the organism that causes Syphilis.

Now, in addition, to all of these functioning genes, the structure of
Borrelia is quite interesting because it has 21 plasmids and plasmids
are these extra chromasomal strands of DNA that are kind of the early
response mechanism for bacteria.

So if a bacterium wants to do something very quickly, if it has a
plasmid, the plasmid can make a protein very quickly to do things like
avoid the immune system or enter cells or do whatever the bacteria needs
to do to survive. 21 plasmids is three times more than any other known
bacteria. I think that Chlamydia has the next greatest number - that's
7. So this is an organism that has a very, very adaptable and effective
gene structure in terms of infecting people.

In addition, Borrelia qualifies as an organism that has true stealth
pathology and what is meant by that is that the bacteria can evade the
immune system by making different types of proteins that do things such
as complement the immune response or get into cells with different types
of cell receptors and this stealth pathology is one reason why Borrelia
can persist in humans and cause the type of chronic problems that we
see. I should also mention that a lot of this work comes from the Lab of
Sherwick Casjens who is at the University of Utah and also Tom Schwan at
his Lab at the Rocky Mountain Labs in Montana. Dr Casjens has been
working on this for a number of years and if you want to look at the
complexity of the genetics of Borrelia you should look at his work and
it has been extensively published even though very few people pay
attention to it.

Now, you also know that Borrelia is transmitted by the deer tick and
these are pictures of the different stages of the deer ticks, larva,
nymph, and female and male; the female is usually bigger than the male.
What is interesting, of course, is that when you see a nymphal tick like
this up on the screen, it looks like it's about 10 feet tall and most
physicians expect that when someone has been infected with Lyme Disease
that they have this thing sitting on their arm that kind of looked like
Godzilla and they got bitten and that is why they got the disease and if
didn't have that then you couldn't possibly have Lyme Disease but, in
fact, what makes the most impression on a physician is when you show
them this picture.

This is a picture of a nymphal tick on the arm of Jim Bosey, who is a
microbiologist at Berket, New Jersey. Jim is a very interesting guy, his
hobby is to go out to the State parks in New Jersey in the dead of
winter and then wait there until the snow cover melts and then go pick
up ticks which start running around as soon as the temperature hits a
certain level and the snow melts and even in winter in New Jersey these
ticks are very active and they do get on his arm and if you can see the
nymphal tick here it is this tiny little dot here which is a nymphal
tick on his arm.

What I often hear from my patients is that they had a mole on their arm
that was there for three days and then it fell off. Of course moles
don't do that but nymphal ticks certainly do. Now in contrast to that,
this is a fully fed, I believe it is a dog tick, and this tick has been
fed for two weeks on a rabbit. You can see that it gets to a very huge
size. What is interesting about these ticks is that the tick saliva has
become a very interesting substance and there are several companies that
are now trying to make bio-technology products based on tick saliva, for
example, tick saliva has a natural anaesthetic which is why the tick can
get on your arm and feed for hours or days and you don't feel anything
and tick saliva also has some immune evasion proteins that are important
in terms of letting Borrelia get into the system once the tick has
attached and is feeding. So tick saliva is becoming a big issue.

Now, where do ticks bite? Well, Bart Simpson knows. I know you have him
here because I saw him on TV when I got here. He knows that the most
common place for tick bites is round the arms and legs. 30% on the legs,
23% on the arms but almost any part of the body can, of course, have a
tick bite and there is some evidence that tick bites around the head and
neck are more often associated with neurologic symptoms of Chronic Lyme
Disease.

How do ticks get around? Well, you've heard all about a deer, you saw
the deer in Dr Kroun's backyard. These are the deer in Yosemite National
Park which has an altitude of 7,000 feet and ticks supposedly don't do
very well at 7,000 feet and last year I got a call from the director of
the medical clinic at Yosemite who said ``Gee, I don't understand it but
we are getting all these people coming in with rashes this year who have
Lyme Disease and you know there is not supposed to be any here'' and the
answer is well, there is deer and wherever there is deer there is Lyme
Disease and these are some deer and these are my kids and they are being
followed by a very anxious dad taking pictures!

Now, one question that came up last night was why is Lyme Disease
spreading as rapidly as it is and why do we have so much of it? And I
think this is a very instructive figure. In 1900 at the turn of the last
century, there were a total of 500,000 deer in the United States. In the
year 2000, there are between 35 and 40 million, so the deer population
in the United States has grown tremendously and with the deer has come
the mass transit system for ticks to go all over the place and expose
people to Lyme Disease.

So, why else should Lyme Disease be so widely spread? Well, there are
studies from Sweden that have shown that birds such as the red winged
thrush can be infected with Borrelia and also can have ticks on them
which can then migrate with the birds and the birds can either drop the
tick off wherever they happen to be going or they can be bitten by a
tick when they get there and then transmit Borrelia to that location and
these are trans-migratory birds, they can fly thousands of miles and
that is also a very good explanation of why Lyme Disease is so
widespread around the world and certainly it is a good explanation for
why Lyme Disease is so widespread around the United States because this
is a map believed from 1998 showing the major areas of Lyme Disease in
the United States mainly on the east coast and also the upper mid-west
but you can see there is also this area in California where I am that
has quite a bit of Lyme Disease especially the northern part of the
state but now even in Southern California. The area in the middle that
doesn't have very much is mostly the Rocky Mountains so there isn't that
much Lyme Disease in the mountainous regions but the rest of the country
is becoming fairly endemic for the disease.

Now, what's happened - just to show you in statistical form - this is
the recorded cases of Lyme Disease until 1998. There has been this
progressive rise in recorded cases of the disease which has continued to
rise in 2002, the last year for which we have the statistics there were
over 23,000 recorded cases. It is estimated that Lyme Disease is
under-recorded by a factor of at least 10 so that means there were at
least 250,000 new cases of Lyme Disease in the year 2002 so this is not
an inconsequential disease it is something that is spreading and it is
getting worse.

Now the month in which people report Lyme Disease is shown on this
slide. This is mostly for the east coast where the peak incidence is
between May and September but in fact Lyme Disease can occur at any time
of the year and it is important to keep that in mind and a lot of
physicians really don't. One of my favourite stories is I saw a 10 year
old boy who was out on a golf course near San Francisco and was playing
in the leaf litter and came in with a bull's eye rash that was basically
his entire abdomen with a tick stuck in his belly button and he went to
a paediatrician and the paediatrician said, well, you know, this can't
be Lyme Disease. Why? It was October and there is no Lyme Disease in
October so that's the kind of thinking that we also have to overcome in
getting people to be aware of the disease.

Now Professor Bob Lane, who is a professor of entiomology at the
University of California at Berkeley recently turned the Lyme community
on its ear by doing this study and what Professor Lane did was that he
took his graduate students up to this beautiful oak grove in Medicino
California, which is in northern California, and he had them put on this
spacesuit contraption and then wander around this oak grove and do
certain things and then he looked at the risk of acquiring different
types of ticks, particular nymphal ticks with these activities and what
he showed was the following:

When the people were either sitting on logs or gathering wood or were
sitting against trees, the risk of acquiring a nymphal tick was a total
of 70% of the total ticks acquired. In contrast to that, the people who
were either sitting in leaf litter or stirring leaf litter, the risk of
acquiring a nymphal tick was only 21%. So what this study showed was
that your risk of getting a nymph on you was significantly higher when
you were exposed to wood and this goes against the conventional wisdom
of tick exposure from leaf litter and grass being the biggest risk and
really shows that exposure to wood is the most common way that people
get exposed to nymphal ticks and this has really changed our thinking
about the epidemiology of Lyme Disease because most of those studies are
based on flagging the leaf litter or looking in the leaf litter for the
disease and not based on looking at wood and wood exposure.
Symtoms

So, now the staging of Lyme Disease, Dr Donta talked a little bit about
the different classifications. I use a very simple classification, acute
Lyme Disease being less than one month since infection and Chronic Lyme
Disease being greater than three months since infection. There are other
terms used to describe this but that's kind of a simple way to think of
the disease. Also, in terms of classification, there are patients who
have predominantly musculoskeletal symptoms and these can be either
fixed or migratory joint problems and muscle aches and also in contrast
people have predominant neurologic symptoms and these can be either
cranial neuropathies, meningeal encephalitis or unexplained cognitive
defects and this is another simple way to kind of break down the primary
symptoms of Chronic Lyme Disease.

Now, you have heard a little bit about the classic features of Lyme
Disease and this is shown on this slide. A tick bite, of course, is a
classic feature, but only 70 to 80% or perhaps less of patients with
Lyme Disease actually recall a tick bite and often this is because as
you saw the ticks can be very small and as I mentioned bites around the
head and neck can be more commonly associated with neurologic disease.

The second classic feature is a bull's eye rash or E.M. However, only
60% of patients and even less than that in some studies ever get an E.M.
rash and there is also a variable appearance and location which I will
show you in a minute.

The third classic feature is the frank arthritis which was described in
the original cases in Lyme Connecticut but as Dr Donta mentioned only
30% of patients get actual joint swelling and this symptom can often be
masked by the use of anti-inflammatory medications which we use pretty
commonly now and also the joint fluid in those patients may be culture -
negative but sometimes PCR positive for Borrelia so it may be difficult
to make the diagnosis based on culture but sometimes PCR is helpful in
that situation.

Just to show you some E.M. rashes. You can see that some of them are
nice round bull's eyes like that one, but others can be sort of
polygonal or big and sort of difficult to see as a bull's eye so there
is a lot of variability in what an E.M. rash can look like.

This is a study from Nantucket and I'll just show you this slide,
actually Dr Donta alluded to it, but these were symptoms in patients
from Nantucket. Now, Nantucket is this island off the coast of
Massachusetts and essentially the entire population of Nantucket has
Lyme Disease, I mean, they have all been bitten by ticks and gotten
infected so this was a study done comparing those patients to controls
from the mainland who didn't have Lyme Disease and in virtually every
category shown here except for palpitations there were significantly
greater symptoms in the Lyme Disease patients than in the controls and
this also shows you the joint swelling in the Lyme Disease patients only
23% of those patients had actual joint swelling but 61% of them had
joint pain so joint `pain' is significantly more common than `swelling'
of the joints in Lyme Disease. Now, what was the conclusion of this
study? Well, what the authors did was they did neurological testing on
everybody and they found that the Lyme patients had no difference in
their neurological testing that the controls so the conclusion was well,
that there was no chronic sequelae of Lyme Disease in spite of all these
symptoms, interesting conclusion.

Now, distinctive symptoms of Lyme Disease, you've again heard most of
this in terms of musculoskeletal symptoms. One very typical complaint
that I hear a lot is migratory joint pains. A patient will say you know
one day I had this pain in my elbow and it was killing me and the next
day it was completely gone and there are very few things in medicine
that really do that, that give you that kind of symptomology. Usually
when you have a symptom it kind of stays there that is what you would
expect but with Lyme Disease that's not the case.

Temporo-Mandibular Joint disorder, where pain in the TMJ is also very
common in Lyme Disease and very, very typical in that disease.

Another joint symptom is heel pain and there is this peculiar sharp heel
pain that patients get and nobody really knows why but that is a very
typical symptom of the disease.

And finally, myoclonus, or muscle twitching, is also very, very common
in this disease. Patients come in complaining that they can't sleep at
night because their muscles are twitching and one of my favourite
stories is that I had a patient who was an attorney and he came in
primarily with this symptom and I treated him and his muscle twitching
got better but his wife wanted him to go somewhere where they knew what
they were doing so he went to Stanford University and went to the Chief
of Neurology and got sort of the whole work up at Stanford and finally
the Chief of Neurology walked into the room and sat down in front of him
and said ``OK now, twitch'' and he said, well you don't understand, it
doesn't work like that I can't control my twitching and she said that
well, you don't have Lyme Disease, Lyme Disease doesn't do this. Go
away, we can't help you. So, that's kind of where we are with that.

Now, in terms of neurological symptoms, visual migraines are very
common. These are the visual equivalents of migraine headaches. Patients
often describe a kind of a saw tooth pattern in their visual field and
that is actually some kind of a vascular phenomenon that is like a
migraine but it affects the vision. Very common in Lyme Disease.

Bell's Palsy you have heard about. We will talk about that.

Holmes-Adie Pupil is another complication of Lyme Disease which we
described several years ago. This is a pupil that is very sluggishly
reactive and this is probably a type of neuropathy that occurs in the
eye and it is due to Lyme Disease.

Acute Psychosis can be seen and also any psychiatric syndrome can be
seen in this disease.

Another very peculiar thing that we described recently was musical
hallucinations in this disease. I have had several patients who had
formed musical hallucinations. One heard the Star Spangled Banner. She
heard this over and over and over again and it would wake her up from
sleep and was really very annoying. Another patient heard Italian Opera.
She could remember that this was one of the earliest things that her
parents would play for her and this was quite a pleasant memory. Usually
these things come from sort of way back in the subconscious and they are
brought out by this infection. And they got better, by the way, when
they were treated with IV antibiotics.

Cardiac manifestations of Lyme Disease. Interestingly, much more common
on the east coast of the United States than the west coast, we don't see
this very often at all. On the east coast, patients can get
palpitations, that is the most common symptom, and also frank
arrhythmias with atrioventricular block, this can lead to serious
consequences including cardiac arrest. Also pericarditis, inflammation
around the heart, can be seen and frank heart failure but again we don't
see this very much in California; this may have to do with the strain of
Borrelia which we have. There are about 300 different strains of
Borrelia throughout the world so it may be that ours don't do this.

Sleep Disorders. Also mentioned by Dr Donta. I am sure you can't read
this, but this is a study done by Eileen Hilton in New York showing that
every single patient with Lyme Disease which she looked at had some
problem with sleep even when they weren't aware that they had a problem
with sleep they either had a delayed sleep, they had trouble getting to
sleep, or trouble staying asleep or staying in deep sleep and this is a
huge problem of Lyme Disease that probably is responsible for a lot of
the fatigue that patients have in that disease. If you can't get good
quality sleep at night, you are going to be tired for the rest of the time.
Testing

Laboratory testing for Lyme Disease, you have heard a little bit about
this, the ELISA test which is the screening test, the primary screening
test for the disease has less than a 50% sensitivity as Dr Donta showed
you, there is also a large variation in how the labs do the test. The
Lyme Western Blot is very sensitive but again, there is a problem with
that and I will show you that in a minute and also men and women react
differently on the Western Blot and I will show you that too in a
minute. The Lyme PCR as Dr Donta mentioned is a kind of a controversial
area right now. It is highly specific but it is expensive and it doesn't
always come up positive. There is a physician in New Jersey who does PCR
tests on all his patients and he does for every 10 tests he may get one
positive so very often this test is negative and may not be very useful.

The Lyme Western Blot as you heard - this is an Igenex Western Blot and
it's a little hard to see on here but you can see that it looks at
different bands, different protein bands from the bacteria. If you count
them here there are 16 bands that are tested for so this is using the
patient's serum and looking at reactivity with 16 of the bands from the
bacteria.

Now the problem is though, that this is not the standard Western Blot,
the standard Western Blot goes by the so called Dearborn/Dressler
criteria that the CDC has adopted to look at Western Blots and what this
does is that it takes those 16 bands and it says, OK, now for the IgM
Western Blot we are only going to look at 3 bands, we are going to throw
out 13 of those bands because they are not important and similarly for
the IgG Western Blot we are only going to look at 10 bands, we are going
to throw out the other six because they are not important. And then, in
order to get a positive, you need at least 2 out of the 3 bands positive
on the IgM or at least 5 out of the 10 bands positive for the IgG so
this has created a very, very insensitive Western Blot system and,
unfortunately, this is the Western Blot that is done by most routine
clinical labs and it is what is accepted by the CDC as a positive
surveillance Western Blot which is another issue that we can talk about
later.

And in contrast to that what IGeneX and MDL and other Lyme Literate
laboratories have done is they have said, Well, look, it is really
stupid to throw out all of this information on the Western Blot why
don't we just look at the whole Western Blot, look at all 16 bands and
then we will say that there are well 6 that are very specific for
Borrelia so in order to have a positive Western Blot you either need 2
of those 6 bands positive or 5 of the total bands positive and that is
going to be a Western Blot that's positive. And this really makes a lot
more sense, because it makes more physiologic sense that if someone is
reacting to all of these bands firstly you don't want to throw out the
ones that are there just because you don't think they are important you
want to see if someone has reacted to that and second of all, it sorts
of sets up criteria that are more consistent with what we know about the
clinical aspects of the disease. We can talk about that a little later
too. So, this is where we have a big problem with testing for Lyme
Disease. There is this split in how to do adequate Lyme testing and
until that gets resolved we are going to have consistent problems with
making a diagnosis.

The other interesting difference with the Western Blot and, this is a
study that was done about 10 years ago, is that it turns out that men
and women respond differently on Western Blots and this was a study of
patients with Chronic Lyme Disease where they did a standard 3/10
Western Blot which is CDC approved and they looked at how many positive
bands they got according to whether they were testing men or women.

It turns out that men with symptoms of Chronic Lyme Disease had an
average of 6 positive bands on the IgG Western Blot and in contrast to
that women with Chronic Lyme Disease had an average of only 4 positive
bands on the IgG Western Blot. If you remember, how many bands do you
need to have a positive Western Blot? You need 5 positive bands, so
girls you are out of luck! Women are at a huge disadvantage doing this
test because they tend to have less positive bands on the Western Blot
so they tend to be diagnosed less frequently because of this difference.
Why do we have this difference? I don't know but it is also something
you can get rid of if you use the IGeneX type Western Blot, it seems to
disappear when you consider more of the bands.

So, other ways to test for Lyme Disease, there is the Lyme Dot Assay
(LDA) which is a urine test and this has been an excellent monitoring
tool if you have a patient who is positive you can actually do the test
to see when the bacteria go away. It is based on finding dead bacteria
in the urine, which happens when you treat the disease. It is also very
useful as a diagnostic test in children where you don't want to have
your staff have to go over to the lab and hold some screaming 2 year old
down to draw blood but you can in fact chase them around the house and
collect the urine for 3 days and get a test that is very useful. There
has been a lot of controversy over this test and we can talk about that too.

The latest rival from the Steere camp is the Lyme C6 Peptide ELISA. This
is a test that is supposed to be more specific for Borrelia infection
because it looks at a very specific peptide that is in the organism. The
problem with it is, it is still an ELISA and as I have shown you, ELISA
tests miss 50% of the Lyme patients so this test, even though it is
very, very specific, will still miss 50% of the patients and it is just
not a good screening test.

And then there is also immunologic testing with CD57 lymphocytes and I
will show you that in a minute.

Now, in terms of Neurologic testing, you heard a little bit when Dr
Donta talked about MRI and SPECT, cerebrospinal fluid, doing spinal tap,
is not very useful because you usually have what is called the ?end
spinal fluid. There is not much in it, there are not many proteins, no
cells, usually there are no oligoclonal bands which is a diagnostic
marker of Multiple Sclerosis (so it may be useful to do it for that
reason to show that the patients doesn't have MS) and Lyme antibodies
and PCR are often negative in spinal fluid and I think the reason for
that is that the organisms are not in the spinal fluid they are in the
brain tissue so when you are looking at spinal fluid you are not really
looking at where the bugs are because they are in the brain.

MRI, brain MRI, is also positive in perhaps 50% or less of patients with
neurologic Lyme Disease. Often you see these non-specific so called
white matter lesions and it resembles other demyelinating diseases such
as Multiple Sclerosis. If you saw a brain scan from an MS patient or a
Lyme patient, the patients are generally indistinguishable. So MRI has
not been that useful.

Now, the SPECT brain scan, you have heard Dr Donta say that 75% of
patients have a positive SPECT. It is probably even higher than that
with the newer SPECT machines and also with a very important tool which
is a radiologist who knows how to read them. You can see inflammatory
and perfusion defects with the SPECT scan in Lyme Disease and the
lesions usually do resolve with treatment which is nice because you can
actually follow your treatment and see if it is working.

A more recent addition is the PET brain scan which is another version of
the SPECT. This is still considered experimental.

Neuropsychological testing is also done on patients with neurologic Lyme
Disease and it's always kind of interesting to see how much abnormality
there is on this test because patients often don't even realise how
neurologically compromised they are until they try doing this testing
and then they see that there is really quite a bit of compromise that
may be there. But it also depends a lot on how the test is done and who
is doing the test in terms of getting a positive result.

So, you have seen a paediatric version of this, this is Bell's Palsy,
with a 7th nerve palsy on the left here, a very typical symptom of
neurologic Lyme Disease. This is an MRI scan - what does this patient
have? Anybody know? You can see there are some little white dots here,
all over, it could be MS, it could be Lyme, it's hard to tell, this
actually is a Lyme patient but it could also be an MS patient.

This is what a SPECT scan looks like in a child with neurologic Lyme
Disease and with SPECT the blue areas are the areas of decreased
perfusion whereas the yellow and red areas are the areas of good
perfusion and you can see that there is this blue-ish band here which
corresponds to the frontal lobe which is over here and also the temporal
lobe over here, and those are the areas that are generally involved in
neurologic Lyme Disease. This child got hyperbaric therapy and you can
see in contrast after hyperbaric treatment there is a lot more yellow in
these areas, the blue has decreased, there is better perfusion and
hyperbaric treatment does have the ability to do that but it is still an
experimental treatment for Lyme and we can talk about that too.

OK, now, the reason I got interested in Lyme Disease is that I really
like immunology and I was interested in these cells, this is a kind of
funny cell of hair-like projections, a natural killer cell, which has
the job of killing tissues and bugs or organisms and tissues that become
infected with those organisms. Natural killer cells have certain markers
on their surface that can distinguish self from non-self and that is how
the body knows not to kill itself and also can detect infected cells and
then kill the cells that have been infected.

Ed Winger, who is the director of a lab in San Francisco called
Immunodiagnostic Lab had been interested in looking at these cells in
patients with AIDS and he developed this whole panel looking at markers
on different lymphocytes and natural killer cells and when we were
looking at all these AIDS patients we said, well you know, we really
need some other patients to look at so why don't we look at patients
with other diseases and one of the diseases happened to be a patient
with Lyme Disease. And what we found was that Lyme Disease patients had
very normal T cell and T cell panels with the exception of one
particular sub-set of natural killer cells called the CD57 natural
killer cell subset and so we started looking at more Lyme patients and
we found this was a pretty consistent abnormality that patients with
Chronic Lyme Disease had this decreased subset and that is kind of how
we got interested in the effect of Lyme Disease on this cell population.

Now CD57 natural killer cells are a subset of natural killer cells but
they are distinct from the main subset of natural killer cells which has
the CD56 marker on them. CD57 cells have the CD57 marker which is just
another protein on the cell's surface. Their function is poorly
understood. We know that they are down-regulated by so-called Thl
cytokines (such as IL-2, IFN-gamma, TNF-alpha) and also they are found
on other cells including T cells and also interesting on nerve cells in
the brain which is something that we can also discuss.

So, we looked at a series of patients with Lyme Disease and looked for
CD57 cells in those patients and that is shown on the next few slides.
For controls we had 10 patients with acute Lyme Disease: 5 men and 5
women. All of those patients had musculoskeletal symptoms primarily. In
contrast, we had 73 patients with Chronic Lyme Disease shown here, most
of those patients - most of the men had musculoskeletal symptoms
actually most of both groups had musculoskeletal symptoms but some did
have neurological symptoms primarily and then as another control group
we had a group of 22 AIDS patients and what we found was the following:

The 10 patients with acute Lyme Disease that we tested for CD57 natural
killer cells, all had normal levels of these cells - none of the
patients had low levels of CD57 natural killer cells. Now in contrast,
when we looked at the patients with Chronic Lyme Disease, there were 31
patients who were tested before any antibiotic treatment; all of those
patients had low levels of CD57 natural killer cells. When we looked at
the group of patients who were on treatment, and there were 37 of those,
about half the patients had low levels of these cells and half the
patients had normal levels. So there was kind of a mixed bag in the
patients who were being treated. And we also had a group of 5 patients
who had been treated for Lyme Disease and had recovered and all of those
patients had normal levels of these natural killer cells so there seemed
to be a correlation between decreased levels of these natural killer
cells and active Chronic Lyme Disease.

Now, in contrast, when we looked at the AIDS patients, the 22 AIDS
patients, 82% of those had normal levels of these cells and this was in
spite of the fact that they virtually no CD4 T cells which is the marker
of AIDS. So, even though their T cells were compromised, their natural
killer cells by and large were pretty normal. So here was a defect that
was very specific for Lyme Disease and didn't cross over, by and large,
to another disease which was HIV infection.

We also looked at the difference between patients with musculoskeletal
symptoms versus the patients with neurologic symptoms and what we found
on this slide is that patients with musculoskeletal symptoms by and
large had much higher levels of the CD57 natural killer cells than the
patients with neurological symptoms, so the patients with neurologic
Lyme Disease seemed to be sicker than the patients with
muscular-skeletal symptoms by immunologic testing.

And, finally, when we looked at patients on treatment over time, what we
found was pretty much like what we found in the original data, some of
these patients had increases in their CD57 cells back up to normal but
some patients had persistently low levels of these CD57 cells and these
were the patients who were chronically ill with Lyme Disease and
generally didn't respond to treatment.

So here we had a very nice marker of Chronic Lyme Disease and we also
serendipitously found another patient who had been treated by Joe
Burrascano about 10 years previously and was tested for this subset sort
of by accident and I happened to inherit her 10 years later and she was
still sick with Chronic Lyme Disease and over the next, its actually now
up to 12 years, we have a series of the CD57 levels, the normal level by
the way is 60, and starting in 1991 she had a slightly low level of
these cells and she has had persistently low levels of these natural
killer cells even though she tends to go almost back to normal when her
symptoms improve but when she goes off treatment and her symptoms get
worse her levels also go down. So, here there is evidence that this
immunologic defect can persist over 10 years or more in a patient with
Chronic Lyme Disease and it is pretty good evidence for the existence of
Chronic Lyme Disease. I mean, here you have this immunologic defect that
correlates with that entity.

So a decrease in the CD57 lymphocyte subset may be an important marker
of Chronic Lyme Disease and also changes in the subset may be useful to
monitor therapy in patients with Lyme Disease and of course the take
home message is that the CD57 natural killer cells may be like the ``CD4
T cells'' of Chronic Lyme Disease just as we use CD4 T cells to monitor
patients with AIDS and to see how patients with HIV infection are doing
monitoring CD57 natural killer cells can be useful for patients with
Chronic Lyme Disease.
Treatment

So, let me talk a little bit about treatment, you have heard a little
bit about antibiotic therapy for Lyme Disease. The range of antibiotics
that are useful for this disease continues to expand and the usefulness
of different combinations also continues to expand and basically it is
the principles of antibiotic therapy. This is something that probably is
useful. Generally, oral antibiotics are useful for musculoskeletal Lyme
Disease or disease which is primarily musculoskeletal. In contrast,
intravenous antibiotics are more useful for patients with neurologic
Lyme Disease and, as you have heard, prolonged treatment may be
necessary to treat Chronic Lyme Disease, and also it is important to
rotate therapies in order to avoid getting resistant bugs that may not
respond any more to treatment that you have been using for some time.

In terms of oral antibiotics, there is mono therapy and also combination
therapy.

With intravenous antibiotics, there are daily intravenous regimens, and
also staggered regimens that are becoming more popular now.

And finally there is a third approach, which is using intramuscular
Penicillin which is kind of the old way to treat Lyme Disease which you
know fell out of favour because intravenous therapy was less painful but
the fact is that intramuscular Penicillin is coming back into style
because it is very hard to get intravenous therapy in some places and
also the intramuscular Penicillin seems to work for neurologic Lyme Disease.

So in terms of oral mono therapy: Doxycycline and Minocycline and also
Tetracycline have been the primary means of treating this disease. These
drugs have very good tissue penetration and they also cover Borrelia and
Erhlichia. Interestingly, both of these drugs have anti-inflammatory
properties which is why they are also used in patients with rheumatoid
arthritis because in addition to their antibiotic therapy they also
decrease inflammation from joint disease so that is another useful
aspect in Lyme. Unfortunately, they can also cause significant photo -
sensitivity and intestinal upset and that has limited their use. In San
Francisco, when I have patients on high dose Doxycycline, they often
come in with what I call Doxy Knuckles and that is because everybody in
California loves to drive cars so they are out driving their car and
they get this rash along their knuckles where their hands are on the
steering wheel so, yeah, that is a very typical give away.

Other mono therapy agents, Amoxycillin and Augmentin are less effective
in general against Chronic Lyme Disease but they do have less side
effects and are more tolerable and also they are cheaper than other
agents so they are also used especially with children.

Now, combination therapy has evolved over the last few years. The
principle of combinations is generally to use a macrolide such as
Clarithromycin or Azithromycin combined with something like a
Cephalosporin such as Ceftriaxin and more recently Omnicef. The idea
being that these are really synergistic antibiotics, the Cephalosporin
gets into the cell and kills the bugs in the cell whereas the macrolide
works outside the cell and can kill the bugs when they come outside the
cell. In particular, Omnicef with Biaxin or Zithromax has become a very,
very effective treatment for Chronic Lyme Disease and this should
probably be the treatment of choice for patients who have primarily
musculoskeletal disease except for the fact that they are relatively
expensive and that's limited their use over Doxycycline.

Another combination that you heard about this morning, is the
combination, again, of a macrolide plus Metronidazole or Flagyl. As you
heard Flagyl kills the spore forms of Borrelia and again the reason for
using this combination is that Flagyl gets into cells and can kill the
bugs in the cells but it has no activity outside the cells so you need
something else to go with it such as a macrolide to kill the bugs when
they come out of the cyst form and get outside the cell. There are some
side effects such as GI upset and neuropathy from Flagyl, and Flagyl
interestingly can give these prolonged Herxheimer reactions that can be
very difficult for patients. You are not just getting a Herxheimer
reaction (I haven't talked about that much) but you are not just getting
it for a few days you are getting it for weeks and you have to sort of
deal with that and say look, this shows that the drug is working, and
you have to bear with it, and often after patients go through that,
their symptoms improve.

Intravenous antibiotics are listed on this slide. Ceftriaxone or
Rocephin is still the standard intravenous therapy for neurologic Lyme
Disease. It's convenient, its once daily dosing, it gets very good CNS
penetration and the question was asked before well maybe why would this
cure cysts? Well, you are getting such high levels in the central
nervous system that you may be actually affecting the cysts even though
the drug doesn't directly cure them and also the cysts can't stay in the
cyst form forever so when they transform into another form the
Ceftriaxone may be killing them. It does have a gall bladder toxicity
which has been a problem but not an insurmountable problem.

An alternative intravenous treatment is Cefotaxime or Claforan and this
is less convenient, it has to be dosed twice a day at least and it can
cause the same kind of liver toxicity interestingly although people
think that it doesn't.

Intravenous Doxycyline is extremely effective against neurologic Lyme
Disease but unfortunately it has a prolonged infusion time about four
hours a day and it also tends to cause more of the sun sensitivity than
the oral Doxycycline so side effects have been a problem.

And more recently, intravenous Azithromycin or Zithromax has also been
used. It is also convenient with once daily dosing but we have limited
experience of that at the present time.

Adjunctive Therapy - there are some other medications which are helpful
for the symptoms of Lyme Disease and I think it is important to treat
the symptoms of this disease because patients come in with a symptoms
list that Dr Donta showed you and they are very, very unhappy and very
miserable with that, and while you are waiting for the antibiotics to
work I think it is important to try to control those symptoms to make
people more functional and a little happier.

So, one thing that has been very useful is the older anti-depressants
such as Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline which are interesting because
for a depression they are used in the doses of about 100mg but Lyme
Disease patients tend to be exquisitely sensitive to these drugs. I went
to a conference up in Northern California and there were a bunch of Lyme
patients there who were talking about their Elavil and how they would
sort of grind the Elavil up into these little pieces and sprinkle some
on their tongue and then they would be knocked out for another whole
night and so there is this exquisite sensitivity to these drugs that is
very useful for improving sleep and also for pain control because it
helps with neuropathy.

Another group of drugs that is very useful is the Cox-2 Inhibitors, the
longer acting anti-inflammatories such as Celebrex, Mobic, Vioxx (NB
Vioxx and Vioxx Acute were withdrawn on the 1st October 2004 due to
increased risk of confirmed thrombic events) and others. These are also
good for controlling musculoskeletal pain mostly because they are long
acting so you don't have to keep popping an ibruprofen every five
minutes but you can take one of these and it works for a whole day and
also there is less intestinal problems with them.

Now, you have heard a little bit about vitamins and minerals,
supplements, and I am not going to get into that. These probably do have
their place in treating the disease but I think at this point they are
pretty much unproven and some of them are fairly expensive and we can
talk about that later.
Herxheimer and Co-infections

Now Herxheimer reaction, I have mentioned, this occurs usually at the
start of antibiotic therapy. It can mimic Lyme Disease symptoms. It may
occur in cycles and it basically represents a die off of Borrelia caused
by the antibiotic treatment and probably due to the release of certain
toxins and cytokines by the dying bugs. This is a good sign because it
shows that your treatment is working. It is killing the bacteria and
symptomatic treatment with the adjunctive medications that I showed you
are usually what is needed to control the Herxheimer's and reassure the
patient that this is really a good sign.

Let me just mention co-infections. There is a growing list of tick-borne
co-infections that play a significant role in Lyme Disease and they are
shown on this slide particularly Babesia, Ehrlichia (which now goes by
Anaplasma) and Bartonella are the three types of organisms that can
exacerbate the course of Lyme Disease and there is evidence from animal
models, particularly mouse models, that a) these organisms can cause
chronic disease and b) when you infect a mouse with both, for instance,
Babesia and Borrelia, you get a much, much sicker mouse and you also get
a mouse that is significantly immuno-suppressed. So co-infections seem
to have a significant role in Lyme Disease and you really need to
address these in order to address the Lyme Disease and it is very
important - at least, based on the animal models.

Babesia - you have heard that the most common is Babesia microti,
however, we have some new strains. One is called WA-1 from the West
Coast. WA stands for Washington State, that was where the first case was
described. MO-1 is from the Mid-West, MO is Missouri. Interestingly, I
have a number of patients with WA-1 infection who got infected in
Missouri and we still haven't figured out how Missouri got to the West
Coast but probably these strains are more widely distributed than we
know. Vasomotor symptoms are very common including sweating and flushing
with Babesia. Antibody testing is still the standard for looking for
these co-infections but now IGeneX is doing a fluorescent in-situ
hybridisation test (FISH) which is very useful and seems to be much more
effective than PCR for Babesia.

The treatment for Babesiosis, the old treatment, is a combination of
Clindamycin and Quinine. This was very difficult to tolerate and has
pretty much been abandoned by most people now. A combination of
Zithromax and Mepron or a macrolide plus Atovaquone is pretty much the
standard treatment for this infection since an article by Krauss came
out in the New England Journal. The problem with that article is that
Krauss treated his patients with this combination

Babesia - the symptoms are a lot like Lyme

Ehrlichia - there are two types of Ehrlichiosis - granular Ehrlichiosis,
which is now called Anaplasmosis, and monocytic Ehrlichiosis. The
symptoms of both are similar to Lyme, including neuropathies. The
treatment of choice is Doxycyline. However, recently some strains have
become resistant to Doxycycline which is a problem because nobody knows
what to do.

Bartonella - this is the latest co-infection to be reported. Bartonella
henselae is the most common strain. It has Lyme like symptoms, including
significant neurological symptoms. The treatment is zithromax,
doxycycline, or ciprofloxacin. The latter seems to be the most effective.

Conclusion

Lyme disease is difficult to diagnose and treat.

The symptoms are highly variable.

Laboratory tests for chronic Lyme disease are unreliable.

Treatment requires patience and persistence.

There was a Lyme vaccine produced by GlaxoSmithKline, but it was taken
off the market 2 years ago because a number of patients developed a
syndrome that looked like Lyme disease after having the vaccine. The
case is now going through the courts in the U.S. now. We are unlikely to
see another vaccine in the near future because pharmaceutical companies
get shy when a vaccine gets taken to court. So we have to rely on treatment.

This photo (lots of people lying in rows outside) shows how they used to
treat TB - people were put to lie outside in the fresh air for hours.
Today we treat TB with 2 antibiotics for 18 months and that is the
accepted treatment. Hopefully, we will see similar changes in the
treatment of Lyme. But to achieve this we need a lot more research - at
the moment we are in the Stone Age! And I think we'll need more activism
from patients too.
--

*Susan Friedl*

Sonoma County Lyme Support
http://tinyurl.com/5xjxb
LymeLinks@...

Patti

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

OK, the effort with literature search has paid. I have just received a phone call informing that my request has been granted.

Hospital pharmacy has Bicillin LA waiting for me for a pick up.

Thanks again

hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's good news. I hope it works well for you. I know you'll keep us informed.
hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

I had a permission for purchase.

Insurance refused to pay and I coudn't afford the treatment close to $200 per week.

So no Bicillin for me.

CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that Areneli-!!!
but so it is on this thread for future reference-

1: N Engl J Med. 1985 Apr 4;312(14):869-74.

Successful parenteral penicillin therapy of established Lyme arthritis.

Steere AC, Green J, Schoen RT, Taylor E, Hutchinson GJ, Rahn DW, Malawista SE.

In a double-blind placebo-controlled trial carried out from 1980 to 1982, 20 patients with established Lyme arthritis were assigned treatment with 2.4 million U of intramuscular benzathine penicillin weekly for three weeks (total, 7.2 million U) and 20 patients received saline.

Seven of the 20 penicillin-treated patients (35 per cent) had complete resolution of arthritis soon after the injections and have remained well during a mean follow-up period of 33 months.

In contrast, all 20 patients given placebo continued to have attacks of arthritis (P less than 0.02).

In 1983, of 20 patients treated with intravenous penicillin G, 20 million U a day for 10 days, 11 (55 per cent) had complete resolution of arthritis and have remained well since.

As compared with nonresponders, penicillin-responsive patients in both studies were more likely to have previously received antibiotics for erythema chronicum migrans (P less than 0.02) and less likely to have been given intraarticular corticosteroids during or at the conclusion of parenteral therapy (P less than 0.1).

The Lyme spirochete was not cultured from synovium or joint fluid.

We conclude that established Lyme arthritis can often be treated successfully with parenteral penicillin.

However, neither of the regimens that we tested is uniformly effective, and further experience will be needed to determine the optimal course of therapy.

PMID: 3883177

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twopuggles
Member # 10971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twopuggles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked with my insurance (Blue Cross). They said that the Bicillin LA was not covered under my drug benefits, but that it was covered under under my medical benefits.

I would need to go to a doctor in my network and have them order the shots at no cost to them and have them do the injections.

My insurance just changed to Blue Cross in January so I have not even seen my primary doctor yet. I am seeking Lyme treatment elsewhere.

I suppose what I will do at this point is go see my primary doctor and see if she will do this, but I have a sinking feeling that they are not going to allow it given that my LLMD doctor is not part of their group.

Worth a shot anyway. I see her next month, and I will let you know.

Posts: 49 | From Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement