LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help! Severe colitis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help! Severe colitis
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on bicillin & have developed SEVERE nerve pain & inflammation in my colon & intestines.

Before I had nerve pain in my colon occasionally, such as right after taking an oral antibiotic. In fact, we went to bicillin after 2.5 years on orals to try to avoid this inflamation of my colon & intestines. But this has been constant for the past 2 days & is the worst pain I have ever had.

I cannot work or sleep. Meds I've taken for nerve pain before do not help.

Is it pseudomembranous colitis caused by the bicillin?

Or have any of you suffered burns to your mucous membranes from abx? I've noticed skin inside my mouth & lips peeling off since I've been on bicillin & wonder if the same could be occuring in my colon & small intestine.

If it is pseudomembranous colitis, I know I have to take flagyl. But in the past, flagyl & tinnidazole were the WORST abx for causing nerve pain & inflammation in my colon & intestines.

I'll be calling both my LLMD & my local doc tomorrow. But I have some flagyl & could start it tonight & see if it helps or not. That might help the docs sort out which is causing the colitis.

What has your experience been?

Thank you! Tempe

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have C. diff. You can ask your doctor to order you a C. diff test, which requires you to turn a stool sample into the lab. You should get the results by the next day.

C. diff is no fun.

My mucous membranes inside my mouth are fine.

I've never used flagyl, only vancomycin for the C. diff.

Good luck....Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Timaca, said, C.Diff. can result from antibiotic use and cause severe diarrhea.

There is another very serious potential disorder that can be caused by antibiotics. I believe it is called Stevens-Johnson syndrome. The peeling you described could be somewhat consistent to that, based on a woman I had met who developed it.

Edited: I just looked up Stevens-Johnson in the Merck Manual. It talks about lesions of the oral mucosa, pharynx, rectal, genital areas and fever. Eyes may become painful. I don't know if this sounds anything like what you're describing, since you seem to be suffering more from colitis. It was just the mouth/lips issue that made me think of this.

Please call your doctors immediately. Personally, if I were you, I'd stay off Bicillin until you've spoken to your doctors. Bicillin-LA stays in your system a fairly long time.

Also, I presume you are not allergic to penicillin? I had to go through a whole penicillin allergy work-up before going on Bicillin, but that's because of a suspected childhood allergy.

Please let us know what happens.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tempe

I agree to get checked out for C-diif.

Another condition if you are anibiotics is a flora inbalance in your intestines. My aunt got this. She wasn't taking pro-biotics and ended up in the hospital near death.

I hope you talked to your LLMD and he can help.

In the mean time make sure to drink alot of extra water and make sure to replace your electrolites.

And also make sure to take tons of pro-biotics at least 3 hours apart from your abx and meds.

Hope you feel better soon

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tempe:

I have been off all abx and Babs meds for 5 weeks now because of colitis. I too was on IM Bicillin. My colon was not happy. So, after 3-1/2 years I am taking a break from meds (again). I don't necessarily feel good but, I really need to heal my colon.

I do a C-Diff test every month and it always comes back negative. I was treated prophylactically for it with Flagyl once. I think that was the worst Rx I have ever experienced.

Anyway, yes, I think it is very plausible that you have antibiotic induced Colitis or maybe C-Diff. You may need to take a break from the meds to help you heal - just a thought. You can't get well (from Lyme) if your body is so stressed from the meds. Got to find a balance.

JMHO

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beachcomber~

As you know, I've had my share of GI issues too (C. diff). I'm still on the one shot of bicillin weekly.

I spoke with Dr. Z this past week, and today consulted with my LLMD, and I'm going to add in Dr. Z's protocol to the bicillin.

Dr. Z says it's fine to take his herbs with or without antibiotics. He feels it will even help to clear the C. diff.

And, hopefully, it will help with the lyme. I have a friend who has been doing only Dr. Z's protocol for the last 6 months, and she is seeing improvements in her lyme issues.

If I can't clear the C. diff while staying on the bicillin, then I'll try to go off it, and hopefully the herbs will be enough so I won't lose too much ground lyme wise.

I mention this, for it might be something for you to consider as well.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried tinidazole -- thinking it would help if I have C Diff, & would be good for cyst form of borrelia that likely have formed after 4 weeks on bicillin.

WOW!!! The colitis & nerve pain skyrocketed! I don't think I can stay on that drug at a dose high enough for C Diff! Ouch, ouch ouch!

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tempe,

I am concerned about you. Why are you self-medicating when you don't seem to have a diagnosis yet, be it C. Diff, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, allergic reaction or anything else? Your symptoms sound severe. Have you gotten through to your LLMD or other doctor?

Is your mouth and lip area still peeling? It sounds like something has burned or inflamed you. Why even try another antibiotic until you know more?

Tinidazole is very hard on the liver. Your GI area already sounds like it's dealing with something very challenging, why stress out your liver, too?

I know it's scary to go off all antibiotics because of the backslide with Lyme, but I and others have had to do it from time to time and you will make up lost ground.

Please keep us posted when you get tested for C. Diff or anything else your doctors recommend.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tempe,

I really think you ought to contact your doctor or go to ER if things are that bad.

Keep us posted and be careful about selfmedication for a condition that you are unsure of what it is.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tempe

You sid in your first post that you would be calling your LLMD thurs. Was wondering if you got thru and what did they suggest?

Worried about you too.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure HOPE you do NOT have Colitis. I had Chronic Acute Colitis back in 1994 and had to have my colon, appendix, rectum, and anus ALL removed. It was terrible. I had been given Cipro by my GP and then he was treating me for diverticulitis, which I had had for about 16 years. But yes, Some abx are VERY bad for the colon. And Cipro has been known to cause Colitis.

I don't know about YOUR abx, but it sounds like it is not compatible with you. I would stop instantly, call your doctor and get help.

And be sure to stay away from Cipro.

Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some pretty serious GI issues during treatment for Lyme. What saved the day for me was Yarrow-- I made tea of 1 tablespoon of this herb steeped for 5 mintes in a large cup of initially nearly boiling water. You can get it at most "health food" stores or "natural grocery" stores such as 'Wild Oats'

Acidophilus is also very important- not TOO close to abx, but perhaps a couple hours after.

I hope you find a solution that allows you to keep fighting the lyme!

DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I was on Ceftin for about 7-9 days, and when I had a bowel movement I thought I was going to pass out and die. My lower colon felt so inflamed, my vagina was raw red, the itch was
so terrible it was bleeding, and ozzing,

sorry to be graphic but this happened.
My breathing was getting worse too.

I have an allergy to penicillin, and believe that I was reacting to the Ceftin.

When I stopped it, and went on Minocycline, the colon got better, the vaginal itch went away,

Maybe you are having some kind of reaction to it, or maybe a herx.

I know that I felt SO much better off Ceftin, and continued to herx with other antibiotics.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tempe -

Can you let us know what's going on?

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Thank you to all who responded and cared.

The reason I tried self-medicating with tinidazole was that my LLMD's office was closed on Friday, and I knew with the holiday weekend I'd likely not get any help there before today.

I did go to the ER on June 30. They did not do anything after deciding that my labs suggested the pain was not life-threatening. The ER doc did not think it was C Diff because I didn't have the "right" type of diarrhea, and just gave me pain pills for colitis.

Then, that afternoon I did get in to see local lyme-friendly doc. He's not an LLMD, but the leader of our state lyme disease support group found him & has now sent about 20 to him. He also thought it was not C Diff, but nerve pain from die off from the Bicillin IM. He said to stay on the tinidazole for 5 days -- he thought that would help either C Diff or the cyst form. And, he'd trying to get a colonoscopy for me next week, rather than August which was the soonest I'd been able to arrange anything myself.

I'm still having a lot of colon & intestinal & other nerve pain, but the reassurance that I was doing the right thing let me go ahead & take pain pills so I could manage traveling out of state for my father's 80th birthday.

Thank you again.

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Still, get tested for C Diff (on 3 consecutive days).

My LLMD said that you do not have to have diarrhea all the time with C Diff, it can be intermittent, or just 'loose'.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement