LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Usual Ketek dosage?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Usual Ketek dosage?
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good evening all,

Just a quick question for anyone on Ketek.

Is the standard dosage 400mg (1 pill) or 800mg (2 pills) per day?

The packaging is very confusing, and I wasn't quite satisfied with the reply of a nurse that I questioned. (she was also confused)

Thanks so much in advance,
melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The packaging, if you are getting it in boxes, is for short-term respiratory infections. I'm pretty sure my doc had me on 400 mg twice a day, so 800 mg a day. I know I took it at least twice a day.

But since it's pretty knew, my guess is there isn't a regular dosage yet. And doctors do vary dosage depending on body weight. But my doctor usually keeps me on the lower dosage.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there Melanie,

I take two 400mg pills in the evening, so that would equal to 800mg in one day.

I am also on meds for babesiosis.

Hope this helps,

Stella Marie

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh good,

because 800mg is what I took this morning. [Smile]

Thank you both so very much for the fast replies!
M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took 800 mg a day. Took both together. Careful .... day 4 or 5 was kinda intense. No big parties that day.

Be well,

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Hey Robi dear,

Thanks...yes, I tried to time this for a good weekend of downtime...we shall see how that plan pans out.

3 weeks to Mepron countdown! [Eek!]

Doing any better yourself?

M

robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worse......... but trying to say hopeful.

Gotta get my act together.

Bed now ......night , night
robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people I know ask about the correct dose of a medicine BEFORE they take it.

[bonk]

Sometimes you worry me.. and ...

I DO believe you're the reason our kids are ugly, little darling.

[Big Grin]

Hope you are feeling better soon!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Oh Robi,
I am so so sorry. Hope you can attain a good night of healing rest.

Moon-pie,
as for you...hmmmm.

Yes, I like to live on the wild side sometimes.

But...What the heck does the ugly kids comment have to do with the price of turnips?

Perhaps YOU have been hitting yourself over the head one to many times? [Razz]

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well grumpy pants.. I know you aren't feeling 100%.

Soooooooooooooooooooo...........

I THOUGHT the ugly kids comment would make you laugh!

Sorry!!! [Razz]

As for the turnips. We have just pulled some of the biggest turnips I have ever seen from the garden. I'm not kidding... they are nearly as big around as a dinner plate.. and at least 10-12 inches tall!

The ONE turnip I cooked for supper tonight completely filled up the big sauce pot I use to make soup!

There were enough mashed turnips to fill up 4 pint bags (to freeze).. and we still had two big bowls of turnips for supper!

I THOUGHT they would be nasty or bitter due to the size.. but they were good! I was very surprised!

Now.. my question is..

What does Ketek have to do with the price of turnips?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Actually, you did make me laugh, as usual...and I love you for that.

And yes...admittedly, I have been a big old whinney grump recently.

I think I have apologized more in the last month then ever...and don't know why others keep putting up with me.

AND...I really have NO idea WHAT the cost of a turnip is. But, I am assuming it is a bit more affordable than Ketek. [Smile]

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took 1 400mg ketek pill in morning and 1 400mg at night.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Thanks Tree-hugger,

That makes me wonder...why some of us are spacing out the dosage and others are not?

(800mg at once as compared to 400mg bid)

Does anyone have any good information on the optimal dosage requirements?

BTW, how are YOU?

trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,
The doc has prescribed 400mgs once a day after supper for me. (Since I'm a wimp I'm not questioning that dosage.) He did not say if this was a starting dosage or the way it will stay. I suppose when I go back in 3 months I'll find out.

A week or so ago I read something in a thread about 400 mgs of Ketek being as effective as 800mg. If that holds true, to some extent, I figure why risk more. Apparently, it also stays in your system working a long time after stopping. (I will admit to not getting around to reading the full prescribing information yet, I'll do that soon.)

I'll see if I can find the thread, I believe the post was by one of the Daves or Davids.

brb...
Scroll about half way down the page to Dave6002's posts dated 4/15.... 12:01 and 9:18am.
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=043044#000012

I don't know if that helps or what the actual science is behind it, I haven't had much sleep and am iffy at best.

You probably could have started at 400 to test the waters and added more as tolerated, if you wanted to. [Wink]

So the real question is how do you feel this morning? Please be careful I worry about you.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Good morning Bluebird,

Hmmmm...sleep study kept you from the Sandman did it? [Roll Eyes]

I am running late this morning, so I will try and answer your question tonight, OK?

Besides, I have a new rule for myself...no complaining till after 5:00 PM. HA!

Thanks for the link...will check it out later- gater.

M

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,

I took Ketek for 3 months @ 800mg's once a day. I like to know all the ins and outs before I start a new med, so I had called the manufacturers of Ketek to get the whole scoop from one of their Pharmacysts.

One of the great things about Ketek is that bacteria have a hard time developing resistance to it. The pharmacyst said that taking it in half doses would take this quality away. 800 mg's is what they say to take. Of course they will always say to do whatever your Dr told you to do, even if it is different from what they say.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez if this is a cranky melanie, we are very lucky.

Sweetheart, I don't know about the ketek, just wanted to tell you I hope you are feeling better and thanks to you and TC for amusing me about the price of turnips was it?

Take good care of yourself, ok? You are always taking good care of so many others, like ME!

NE

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two 400 mg pills once a day is the correct way to take it. It would have been in an 800 mg pill but was too large to swallow.

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Thanks to each of you for the wonderful help- I SO appreciate you!

All I can say at this point is TGIF...hope that didn't sound like a complaint [Smile]

Bluebird,
yes I know you are a med wimp...but in a good way. I have always been of the mind to take everything I can get a hold of and hit it hard...NOT always the best practice, I know.

How am I feeling...hmmm, good question, but because I don't necessarily like the answer, I will make it brief.

The aches continue...and have spread around to my right side and front. Soooo, I am beginning to think connective tissue? It is painful when I poke around in those areas...so, I have stopped poking. HA!

I went to the urgent walk in...and they looked at me as if to say ``you are not urgent'' and DID say ``why don't you have a PCP yet?

But the diagnosis was that I wasn't going to die today...so, I was happy with that. The urinalysis was good, and the heart, BP, lungs, pulse were fine. Temp was low as usual.

They did want me to do some bloodwork, but because they are not a lab...they wrote up orders to take somewhere else [Roll Eyes] Needless to say, I haven't done that yet.

I'm about the same or slightly worse on the other things...but that is to be expected with new meds. Thanks for asking, my dear, I KNOW you have your little hands full presently.

Micul,
NICE work on the pre-investigation front, and thanks for sharing what you found out!

Hey NE,
I'm so very happy that you are back home for the holiday! Please give the kiddos my love, OK? Hang in there yourself, and please keep me updated on the NC help. We do have other avenues to pursue...so have faith.

Mathias,
Goodness, an even larger pill? I have trouble taking it as it is! All pills seem to want to hang out in my throat for a few hours...or at least that is the way it feels.

My new LLMD thinks that is a definite Babs thing...so hopefully, the new protocol will fix itself!

Thanks again to all,
Much love,
M

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi melanie,

I took 800mg once a day.

Sorry to see you're back on abx, have you relapsed? I guess so.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take 400mg twice a day, because the 800mg once a day is too much for a pipsqueak chick under five feet tall.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Thanks Liver-lips,

yes, currently in a nose dive...but hope to right myself soon.

How is your brother doing?

Hey there Liz,

pip-squeek, huh? hahaha

I don't think that describes me, but thanks for your insight [Smile]

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

OK...so admittedly, I am still not doing so hot.

This morning, I decided to tackle the Ketek pharmaceutical handout to see exactly what could be the problem.

This is what I learned:

________________________________________________--
Ketek (telithromycin) Tablets

* a semi synthetic antibacterial in the ketolide class, chemically, telithromycin is designed as erythromycin and is structurally related to the macrolide family
* absorption, max concentration at 1 hour
* mean terminal elimination half-life of 10 hours
* bioavailability of 57%
* elimination, 7% feces, 13% urine, 37% liver- principally excreted via liver and kidney
* given with or without food
* dosage 800mg
* steady state plasma concentration reached at 2 days
* metabolism accounts for 70% of dose
* drug-drug reactions- please ask your doc

Warnings:

* pseudomembranous colitis (inflammatory disease of the colon)
* prolonging QTc interval in electrocardiogram
* exacerbation of myasthenia gravis
* may effect birth control
* excreted in breast milk
* only for patients 18 years and above

Precautions/ Side effects:

* visual disturbances
* heptic dysfunction, including hepatitis, increased liver enzymes- with or without jaundice
* possibility of syncope (fainting)
* diarrhea
* nausea
* headache
* dizziness
* vomiting
* loose stools
* dysgeusia (loss of taste or impaired taste)
* abdominal distension
* gastrointestinal upset
* constipation
* gastroenteritis (irritation and inflammation of the digestive tract)
* gastritis (inflammation of the stomach)
* anorexia
* oral candidiasis
* glossitis (tongue Inflammation)
* stomatitis (inflammation of the mouth)
* watery stools
* abnormal liver function tests
* dry mouth
* somnolence (abnormally sleepy)
* vertigo
* increased sweating
* abdominal pain
* upper abdominal pain
* fatigue
* vaginal candidiasis
* vaginitis
* vaginosis fungal
* rash
* increased platelet count
* anxiety
* bradycardia (heart beats at a slower than normal rate)
* eczema
* elevated blood bilirubin
* erythema multiforme
* flushing
* hypotension
* increased blood alkaline phosphatase
* increased eosinophil count
* paresthesia (tingling, pricking, or numbness)
* pruritus (itching of the skin)
* urticaria (hives)

Post marketing effects reported:

* face edema
* angioedema
* anaphylaxis
* atrial arrhythmias
* palpitations
* pancreatitis
* heptic dysfunction
* muscle cramps

Sooooo, what I am thinking now is...no wonder!

Good luck all you Ketek-ers [Smile]

M

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

I probably should add a big disclaimer here...

I am NOT a medical professional, blah, blah.

IF you are taking Ketek and are experiencing any of the above...please contact your doctor.

He/she will be able to look at your whole clinical and physical picture to advise as necessary.

[Smile]

lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,
So sorry you are still not doing well, wish I could help you out (for once). That sure is one long list of 'side effects'. Are you going to go off of the ketek?

Good luck and keep us posted!!
NE

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Good evening NE, oh, I guess it is morning there [Smile] (you really should be in bed young lady)

I am pushing through the Ketek Blues...sounds like a good country and western song, huh?

I took a few days off of meds last week to get back to functioning...but have resumed full force...labs tomorrow.

Hopefully, all will be well, cause it sure hasn't been much fun up to this point.

Yes, that is a very long list...and I am currently experiencing many on it. But as usual, it is hard to know if it is the med or the TBDs or both.

As long as something is dying, and it isn't me, I will be fine!

Miss ya,
M

stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep us up dated Mel, OK?

You're right, if we only knew.... is it meds, TBI'S, herx, or a bad reaction to the med?
[confused] [confused] [confused]

Sure would make it easier on our minds if this road we travel was more paved.

Stella Marie

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

good morning all,

just an update...

saw my llmd yesterday afternoon, and the decision was that I am herxing too much, and need to detox asap. apparently, my body isn't ridding itself of the aftereffects well at all.

so, he is taking me off Ketek. he thinks this just isn't the drug for me and has caused some damage.

im pretty disappointed, because I know it has helped so many of you...but I can no longer push this if it isn't working as it should.

thanks for all of your help,
M

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement