LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Just got bit!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just got bit!
kkamcs1
Member # 9518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kkamcs1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About three weeks ago I got bit. I need help because when I got bit three days later felt all of the symptoms and got on an antibioctic. Starts with a d. It is for treatment of lyme but I do not have the infection and fever anymore but I still have lots of loint pain and dizziness and fatigue. I need to know if this is going to go away since I treated it early or if it is going to continue and will it get worse? If so what can I do to help it not be so bad. Please write I need help about it! Thank you, Kimberly
Posts: 1 | From ky | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to get to a LLMD.
The abx your on is probaly doxycyclene if your treatment isnt enough it will come back.
You need to be on a high enough dose and long enough to get it 6 weeks at least and 750mg a day and that still may not get it. Read newbie links good luck.Thats what I was on but I was infected a long time.

Dr B said
Doxycycline Adults: 100 mg qid with food; doses of up to 600 mg daily are often needed, as doxycycline is only effective at high blood levels.
Not for children or in pregnancy.
If levels are too low at tolerated doses, give parenterally.

[ 29. June 2006, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: treepatrol ]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree that you need as much as 750mg per day, but you DEFINITELY need more than the 200mg that your dr likely prescribed!! Double that for sure and take it for at least 4-6 wks.

The spirochetes [lyme bacteria] replicate every 4-6 wks, so you want to be taking the antibiotics at that time to be sure you killed them all!!!

If you have to, go to another dr or Urgent Care to get the meds you need. You do NOT want to become chronic like those of us here!!!!! [Eek!]

Keep us posted on how you're doing, OK?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim, I sent you a PM with my newbie links.

As Tutu said, you want to cure this NOW; you do not want to become CHRONIC like the rest of us and so sick for the rest of your life! good luck.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in the newer version of Dr B's recommendations

ANTIBIOTICS
There are four types of antibiotics in general use for Bb treatment. The TETRACYCLINES, including
doxycycline and minocycline, are bacteriostatic unless given in high doses. If high blood levels are not
attained, treatment failures in early
and late disease are common. However, these high doses can be difficult
to tolerate. For example, doxycycline can be very effective but only if adequate blood levels are achieved either by high oral doses (300 to 600 mg daily) or by parenteral administration. Kill kinetics indicate that a
large spike in blood and tissue levels is more effective than sustained levels, which is why with doxycycline,
oral doses of 200 mg bid is more effective than 100 mg qid. Likewise, this is why IV doses of 400 mg once a
day is more effective than any oral regimen.
Burrascano 05

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard Dr B say at a lyme conference a few months ago. . if you are bit and have a slow onset , suspect lyme disease only. If you are bit and have a rapid onset suspect a co-infection and lyme disease.

In either case, you should seek out the most knowledgeable llmd that you are able to get to as quickly as possible. The sooner the treatment the quicker many infections, organisms can be identified and resolved. Early LD is easier to deal with than chronic lyme for many physicians.

Make sure when you call the office that you tell them you were recently bit.

Finding a llmd and going may take resources, time and effort but if you expend them now, they will cost much less then waiting until later. Chronic LD is expensive and hard to treat.

elle

--------------------
When I feel blue . . . . . . its time to take another breath

Posts: 296 | From East Coast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by treepatrol:
[ For example, doxycycline can be very effective but only if adequate blood levels are achieved either by high oral doses (300 to 600 mg daily) or by parenteral administration. ] [/QB]

Then go with that, not 750mg.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was just watching dr. B's lyme conference DVD.

He says that once you have the tick bite and symtptons that lyme is disemenated into your body.

Since lyme has a one month growth cycle(you can only kill it durning a growth cycle)
You need to take abx for at least one month and untill all symptoms are gone. Then at least 1-2 months after that.

The reason being that if you treat aggressively in the beginning then you have a much lower chance of not being chronic and suffering for many years to come.

He reccomends to take at least 400 mg of doxy.

400 mg doxy penetrate's the blood brain barrior.

After a tick bite BB can be found in the brain in only 8 hours after the tick bite.. The blood brain barrior is a closed/privledged site and it takes a certain mount of doxy in order to cross this barrior.

Hope this helps.I would read Dr. B's link above by treepatrol.

Take care

[ 29. June 2006, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: 5dana8 ]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement