LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IS 2 WEEKS ANTIBIOTICS ENOUGH?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IS 2 WEEKS ANTIBIOTICS ENOUGH?
daystar1952
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son's girlfriend went to a doc today with a lyme rash. He gave her 2 weeks of antibiotics. Does anyone have any advice for her?

It would also be great if there were some pertinent articles I could have her read concerning length of treatment.

Thankyou so much
Margie

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The spirochetes replicate every 4-6 wks....so it would be a very good idea to be on abx during that time to make sure they ALL get killed out!!

Treepatrol's links
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000569.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiff423
Member # 8957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiff423     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

I agree, 2 weeks is not enough abx. I have only taken 2 weeks of mine so far then stopped. I'll be starting up again on Monday tho. I stopped because I broke out in a severe case of hives which took almost 4 weeks to get over. My PCP decided it was possibly a herx and referred me back to my LLMD. Since the 2 weeks on abx, I had the hives, had increased joint pain, developed plantar fasciitis (heel-spur syndrome)in both feet, and had a 24 hour stomach flu that took over a week to get over. (My coworker got the stomach flu on the same day I did and she was over hers in 24hrs). I did start taking birth control pills since the abx, and I have since learned that birth control pills lower your immune system w/Lyme patients--which would explain why it took so long to get over the hives and the stomach flu. THEY say it will get worse before it gets better, BUT that just means the abx are working. SO, I AM definitly starting back on my abx. 2 weeks is definitly not enough to really get the process started. Good luck! This site is great for feedback and support, so check in often. Take care!

Posts: 28 | From NC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF she wants to be a chronic lymie,, like MOST of us here!! Two weeks will get her there real FAST!!!

MY sincere hope is she can find a better duck or better yet a reall LLMD and get a real rx for the correct dosage and time frame.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 week is Not enough -
If you cought Early--
6 weeks may be enough --
but then again -- 6 weeks may
not be enough--can be had to say

Dont be scaired of taking Meds-No reason-

Be scaired of Having Lyme-its Very Serious-
can ruin your life--did mine--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely NOT enough. I am now chronic because when I found a tick on me and had symptoms, they only gave me 3 weeks to start.

If you did catch it early, get over to an LLMD right away! Like groovy said, 6+ weeks to hopefully nip it in the bud and never go chronic.

Don't mess around. If you catch it early enough you can avoid a LOT of headaches later on.

Good Luck!

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell them to be sure to read this!

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045482

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell no! At least 6-week treatment is necessary these days. Is this a pediatric nurse/doctor?

2 weeks is not nearly enough. Assist her/her parents in finding a doctor that knows the story. Photograph her rash.

--------------------
Lymester

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothergoose650
Member # 8962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mothergoose650     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an embedded deer tick and I could only get 2 weeks worth of doxy (100 mg, 2 times a day)- certainly not enough!!! Luckily I have some doxy left from when Greg saw his dermatologist. How many mg / day does this board suggest???

Kathy
as always,
[confused]

Posts: 64 | From MA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually 400 to 600mg Doxi-
spread thru the day--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so there is no conjectuce or uncertainty for every one that goes by Dr B's guidelines (The same as ILADS guidelines) here is a diret quote.

"In general, early LB is treated for four to six
weeks, and late LB usually requires a minimum of four to six months of continuous treatment."

Also,

Also if you can tolerate a single dose of Doxy, it is better than taking it through out the day as the peak serum level will be higher.

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement