LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What is up with the rib cage pain here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is up with the rib cage pain here?
julier
Member # 9527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for julier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just joined this group a short while ago and I am seeing several people posting about this mysterious ribcage or under the ribcage pain.

My 13 year old complains about this pain every single day.

The doctors have done lab work and an ultrasound and, of course, everything comes up normal.

How can so many people be complaining about the same exact pain without any explanation?

This is driving me nuts.

Posts: 40 | From Pasadena | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is cartilidge that connects your ribs to your breast bone, so just like any other joint, this cart. can get irritated and inflamed by Lyme. What results is pain, sore feeling ribs, and crackly/crunchy, poppy sounds when they are pressed on.

Also, if you lay on your side or belly on a hard surface for too long the will hurt like hell the next day...just like if you were to irritate a sprained ankle.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

Elley is right-- rib cartlage

I thought I was having small heart attacks-
for years-- because it mostly happened on
left chest--

Most people have this pain on left chest
--may have to do with if you are left
or right handed --maybe puts more strain
on the oppisite side rib cage--

Elleys discription of
the sprained ankle is perfect annaligy--

For me I think Babs caused this--

After I started treating for babs Also-
the pain went away-AAhh --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julier
Member # 9527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for julier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's interesting about the heart attack analogy. My daughter kept telling me she thought she was having one.

The last thing I was told by one of her doctors is that it is tendonitis in her ribs. Sigh. More anti-inflammatories of course.

I just watched Mystery Diagnosis - the one about Lyme. I'm in California and it was on during the 1:00 hour. The first thing the teenager presented to the doctor was horrible chest pain. I'm not sure how to spell it, but it was diagnosed as costochondritis (something like that). Then came the rest of the nightmare. It's just interesting that this is such a common symptom amongst Lyme sufferers.

Posts: 40 | From Pasadena | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this for the 10 years I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in the 1980s - this was before my tick bite in 2003. I went through all the tests for liver, gallbladder, pancreas, you name it. I even had an appedectomy (wasn't the appendix) and exploratory surgery to see if it was endometriosis (it wasn't), told it was costal chondritis, etc.

The only thing that helped me was going gluten-free.

But also when I first became symptomatic with Lyme, but didn't know what it was, one MD had me begin treatment for Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) in which bacteria from the large intestine gets into the small intestine and can cause bloating, burping, upper abdominal pain, etc. You can do a google search on it if interested.

But the above posts make a lot of sense to me in terms of Lyme and the ribcage pain.

Take care,
Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was my one of my very first symptoms in 2003. I was a rower and had just completed a 200 meter row (142 miles) row in three weeks on my indoor rower.

I then had crushing chest pain and difficulty breathing for weeks.

Had two ekgs - checked for blood clotting disorder - 2 ER visits thinking I was going to pass out with severe air hunger...it disappated and would wait until 2004 to then present again with a huge number of other symptoms...

I thought it had been costocondritis too - which maybe it was but it was induced by lyme I am sure ...

--------------------
�Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right.� - Ezre Taft Benson

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My chest pain turned out to be Babs. Went away with Babs treatment.

[ 09. July 2006, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Foggy ]

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concerned mother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for concerned mother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 16 year old gets this pain often. We went to a cardioligist that helps patients with lyme and he told us it was periciditis. They put my son on Indocin and it helped a lot with the pain.

--------------------
Amy Holloway

Posts: 255 | From Michigan | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's such a coincidence that you mention rib pain/soreness.

I hadn't felt it in about 5 years--it was one of my first symptoms along with sternum/heart pain/aches.

Well, just this morning, while attempting a yoga DVD I had to lie on my stomach for a pose--OUCH! My right rib was sore! Yep, I still have it!

Foggy, you think it is Babs and not Lyme? I haven't been tested for co-infections yet.

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you work with a chriropractor, he might be able to help.

Several weeks ago, I had a similar pain, but in the back under the shoulder blade. My first thought was heart attack too. His exam found a "rib out" to quote him. He pushed on it with two fingers and it slid right back. No pain since.

After three years this chiropractic stuff still amazes me!

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
allie, definately Babs for me. Testing meant zilch, as LLMD said it's not accurate. Old LLMD wouldn't treat me for Babs though I had all the symps. Changed LLMDs, treated Babs, and goodbye chest pain.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Babs, huh? I have been fighting costochondritis for years, off and on. Since December, it is on all the time though not always disabling.

For years, I was able to control it with chiropractic, too. But then my rib cage got so sensitive that any chiropractic adjustments that put pressure on my ribs ANYWHARE caused an acute flare of the costo.

Mine can be anywhere in my ribs, front or back, and now it can migrate from one side of the body to the other. It just makes sense to me that an infection is the culprit.

Souonds like a different test for Babs might be in order.....

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StuckonLyme
Member # 8196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StuckonLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same chest pain as you guys are talking about,swear you are haveing a heart attack, i have had it for 18 months i just started my babs treatment and am hopeing it will go away, it has lessened some in just a week of mepron/zith/ art

i know a person who had the same problem, severe chest pain and air hunger, babs treatment fixed it, alone with long term antibiotic treatment he has been symtom free for about a year now.

Posts: 82 | From Northeast WI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julier
Member # 9527

Thanks for all the responses. It is just fascinating that this is such a common symptom. Well, now to get my daughter checked for Babs (sigh).
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rib and sternum pain is a common symptom of "fibromyalgia". My daughter has not tested positive for anything but bart. I'm thinking it's all part of that connective tissue like someone else said.

My daughter said she just touches her rib area and it hurts for hours.

I think it all just comes with the crud.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to lie on my bed on my stomach and talk on the phone (much more comfy!). However, it gives me really bad pain under my right ribcage - so much that I cannot do it any more. Every single time, like clockwork.

If this is babesia related, I tested positive for babesia WA1 and have been treating it for almost two months. (Along with lyme treatment x 1 year). So that doesn't seem to be it, for me.

Note to self: Never lie on stomach.

Hope your 13 year old finds some relief. Tell her (or him) to avoid lying on her stomach, if possible - it seems to exacerbate things.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya Michelle

I went to the beach a week and a half ago and sun bathed on my belly. The next day my ribs were sooo damn sore it was awful.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is how my LLMD explained it to me. My LLMD sees this a lot.

The spirochetes like to hang out in the nerve roots in the spine. By being there and acting up, they irritate one or more nerves that wrap around the rib cage (either side).

This particularly inflames the nerve endings, which are on either side of the sternum. (at the costo- chondral junction).

This can also cause soft tissue pain.

My LLMD was the first Dr. in almost 6 years who had any clue what was going on. It was wonderful to hear that this was familiar to my Dr.

BTW, I went for a second opinion, 2nd LLMD who did not consult the first one. Their answer: this chest pain is unquestionably Lyme related.

I do not mean to rule out the co-infections here, as we know Lyme can come w/ a lot of co-infections.

Please be cautious if your non LLMD wants to try pain relief through nerve block injections into the sternum/ ribs. This made my pain much worse!!

I too know the feeling of having a heart attack, but getting checked out and having it be normal.

Even if you were to try to biopsy the area, no organisms would show up because they are in the spine, in the nerve roots.

This pain can get VERY sharp.

Much sympathy and understanding for everyone dealing with it! You are not alone.

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement