LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Newbies Please read about search function...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newbies Please read about search function...
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 6 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how it is when ya first come here...

Not knowing how the board works etc...

Lyme brain and panic etc...

Wanting that PERSONAL touch with someone who UNDERSTANDS your plight...

However....if you were to use the SEARCH on this site...

You would get the answers to your questions from the SAME folks that are answering you now...

A lot of the subjects have been covered MANY times...
It's condensed for you...

It's faster for you and would alleviate some of the traffic on this board.....

Thanks ZMAN

[ 16. July 2006, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: lymie tony z ]

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK,

Either you see my name and decide I have nothing worth reading about...

Or you read this post and decided not to comment...

Whatever...

It's like getting a phone call and the person on the other end does'nt have the stones to admit they dialed the wrong number...

I ONLY put this 1st post up as a kindly reminder...

I followed with this second post to get a reaction...THANK YOU I got one...

I was only looking for recognition of the post...just like you all do...

Because I thought it pertinent to EVERYONE involved...
ALLRIGHTYTHEN.......zman

[ 13. July 2006, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: lymie tony z ]

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geez...

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having been on a couple of message boards for different things, it seems that some people would prefer to "lurk" and read the information, while others would prefer to get their information directly and personally by posting.

It's the same in a library. Some people just go to the catalogue themselves, others prefer a live librarian helping them out.

Thanks for reminding people about the search feature. But no foul if they prefer asking a question that's already been answered. The whole point of the board is to help, no matter what their learning style.

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm here to answer any and all questions. Fire away, Newbies!! [hi]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah tu tu I know...so am I...

And I THOUGHT I made myself clear about being able to commiserate or be empathetic to newbies and there degree of illness when they first come here...

That's why I suggested the search engine...they would'nt have to figure out HOW to post or HOW to phrase their questions and then wait patiently for someone to answer their post...

All they have to do is type in one or two words and hit search...

This seems exceedingly easier....

Cutting down on the traffic also helps keep posts from getting BURIED...

This was meant in a supportive way...

It's kinda like I answered a post by Tracy that also pertained to the same question raised by YOU TABERS...
DID you read it?
I don't know...but when I got done with Tracy...I was too tired to type it all out again to you...

Hopefully y'all get what I mean...instead of thinking I'm callous and mean!

sheeesh.......zman

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony...love ya man...but that did sound like you didn't want to hear from newbies. What would this board be like without them??

The rest of us would eventually "die off or out" [just kidding!] and then this place would be empty. [Big Grin]

I agree that it's very easy to do a search....but....I also remember what it was like to be a newbie, even though that was 6 yrs ago!

People want to be listened to and I don't think the search function is a very good "listener" [Razz]

So, please let's not flame Tony....we'll take it as his little reminder that valuable information can be found by clicking on the little word above these topics "search."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Ya know Tabers...

If you read what I wrote initially you SHOULD be able to understand that I covered the same bases you mentioned in your BUT..."TWO THOUGHTS"

I thought it was abundantly clear yet concise...

You even mention in your post that "lyme is confusing enough not to have to worry about whether to post or not"

MY POINT EXACTLY for utilization of the search engine...

By the way tabers...NO ONE ever said anything about ANY question being stupid around here...

Until you inferred there is such a thing...

Redundant perhaps...but then you would'nt know that given your vast two month exposure around here...
Yeh, that was a shot accross your bow....

Furthermore
When I first came on board I was IGNORED by a lot of the old timers....

They told me finally I would understand once I was here for awhile...

I do now...

Even still, I ALWAYS look for the posts that have 0 or 1 response to posts so the newbies won't feel they're neglected....

EVEN YOU when lymeblue got in your case...

BUT I'M begining to wonder now if blue was'nt at least a little spot on about you...

I sincerely hope not...ya see...I give the benefit of doubt...
I chose to believe folks are here for legitimate reasons...

UNTIL I'm proven wrong....

I am a teddy bear and the nicest guy I know...just ask me! LOL

BUT do not poke the bear!

Have a good day zman

--------------------

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<<<<< Lymie Tony Z >>>>> Thanx for the post,I get so space case soemtimes,that I honestly forget about 'search'.

Someone pm'd me and mentioned using 'search 'to help locate some stuff and to compare notes w/ someothers,and I'm glad the 'pm' notice had a little blinking envelope or I wouldn't have realized I had the 'pm's' eihter.

On the 'Gumbo Ya Ya boards' I've been known to wander back 15 or 20 pages and then realize gee there is a 'search bar'...durr!!! Anyway thanx I get what you are saying, and maybe I can get answers a bit quicker and more indepth,as well as the more personal touch too!!! [Smile]

Sometiems I get so corndiffused...but that's me the Silverwolf [bonk] [I think perhaps I need to get some of those stickynotes,and put the things literally on the edge of my monitor screen{check search for info'on subject 'x'}.]. [loco]

Oh I yam a locolobo...and i've manged to lose my brain...please tell me it's stopping by,on the next on time train... [Big Grin] !!!

Silverwolf off to do some searches,tho' I still don't know if it will help me post intelligently!!! [loco]

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julier
Member # 9527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for julier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually zman - I appreciated the reminder. I did read it and didn't reply because I just thought it was a general reminder and didn't require the reply. Sorry about that.

I am a newbie and so far have found this board to be less intimidating than other message boards I've been on.

Thank you all!

Posts: 40 | From Pasadena | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

You're most welcome Silver wolf and Julie...

The purpose of wanting responses and how it works around here is that a reponder to a particular post will just post the word "UP"

Just to keep the post from being buried...and informing the originator that it was indeed received by the folks it was intended...

A lot of the new folks are not aware of this little procedure...

I FORGOT that.....my humble appology.....zman [bow]

--------------------

Catsmeow
Member # 9485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catsmeow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a newbie. Ya'll are fantastic.

I've never been to a board where I was made to feel more caring and compassion than THIS board.

Everyone's been really kind and helpful...and I've gotten help from both the "search" function and the kindness of willing strangers who don't mind answering my lame questions.

Thanks to all..... You guys are great!

Posts: 47 | From New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Yo Cave...

Man I need a vacation.......

Carol B.......work on your self esteem a little bit dear...

Intimidated by a word...???

And NO ONE TOLD anyone they HAD to use the search engine...

It was just a suggestion.......take a pill...zman

--------------------

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
911 to Carol B!!!!

You are not a loser!

You are not a newbie!

Betcha wish ya just had ta take A pill, insteada 18 or 20, huh???? [lol]

(Whole lotta us wrestle with the search engine on here; it usually wins...!)

[kiss]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol B
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Michele.
I guess it's the word MANDATORY that made me feel like I HAD to do something.
Silly me.

Glad I'm not a newbie, so it doesn't apply to me anyway. GEEZ What was I thinking?
Now if I were to search this topic -what word would I use?

Peace out,
Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Gee whiz Carol and michelle...

I put a smile icon in the margin and the word Please in the topic heading...

Also expressed my comiseration and empathy in the first few sentances of my post...

YET you two have to DWELL on the word Mandatory...

HOW COME?

Ya want to explain why you missed everything but the word madatory??

zman

--------------------

robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oy vey!

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't reply simply because I didn't realize it was a response type of post...I apologize.

I know I'm new, and more than likely repeat lots of questions. I do alot searching as well, and have read a large amount of newbie links.

As for repeated questions, for me it has to do with not being able to find a full answer to my question or simply needing someone to interact with me about a particular topic.

I came to this site a depressed and dysfunctioal mess...physically yes but more importantly at the time mentally.

Since coming to this site I have stopped needing my anti anxiety medication and don't spend countless sleepless hours wondering why I'm plagued by all of this illness, mainly because
I can come here and post when I'm freaked about something and there will be someone who responds directly to me...so I don't feel alone.

Thanks for the reminder though, the search feature is a great one and easy to miss when you are first here, it has helped me out alot. [Smile]

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by elley0531:
[QBSince coming to this site I have stopped needing my anti anxiety medication and don't spend countless sleepless hours wondering why I'm plagued by all of this illness, mainly because
I can come here and post when I'm freaked about something and there will be someone who responds directly to me...so I don't feel alone.

[/QB]

That's really COOL, elley!!!!!

I think the search button should be much larger.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Thanks Cave you summed it up really well...

You to TUTU...

A very warm thanks to all who understood my true intentions and thanked me for the reminder...

For those that made derogatory comments.....

For no apparent reason...I can only surmise that you are in some way biased toward me...

Get a life and oh yeah [Razz] ...

NOW I can go fishing.....gotta take my diabetes books somewhere and learn all bout my new battle!

Y'all play nice now while I'm gone....zman

--------------------

lymie tony z
Member # 5130

up

--------------------

arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want to get involved in the argument, just a suggestion. If the word "mandatory" in the subject line is causing a problem, perhaps you could just remove that word and title it something like "Newbies please read - using the search function" or something like that.

Peace and healing,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement