LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Alternative Measures - what helps? POLL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alternative Measures - what helps? POLL
suki444
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
I am not considering stopping abx but wondering what alternatives measures others rely on as support?

I'm just interested in what helps most people (disregarding Dr b's list of supplements that most of us are on).

Please name the most helpful adjunctive therapies for you...here are mine currently.

1. 'NTFactor Energy' for mitochondrial damage
2. Essential oil baths, lavender or blends.
3. Vitamin c for adrenals

thanks
Emma

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most dramatic improvement for my arthritis was change of diet. Went from completely disabled to functional in two weeks and slowly progressing with a 2 steps forward 1 back kind of progress since then.

2nd most important: Found a new doctor who is building up my liver, adrenals, kidneys in preparation of chelation of heavy metals and killing systemic yeast. He wants to improve my elimination system before tackling these two things. He has had me on enzymes, amino acids, mega vitamin c, IVs of lipostabil, glutathione and DHEA(DHEA is not IV). About a month ago he advised me to get the urine ph strips and monitor my acidity with each morning's urine.

Once I did this, I was shocked to see how often I am acidic even though I am eating alkaline. I started supplementing my diet with supergreens pills (2 at night) and fresh carrot & spinach juice. On the days I was acidic, my joint pain was high and on the days I was alkaline, it was low.

Since getting more consistently alkaline, I have enjoyed steady progress and since 7/2/06, I have been enjoying basically painfree days with only some minor stiffness in a couple of fingers. I'm back to doing everything I did prior to 8/05 and hope this is not a temporary improvement.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Acupuncture ..... on going with a good acupuncturist ....... you may have to try several.

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Acupuncture would head my list, too. My acupuncturist is trained in Chinese medicine, so I've had a lot of Chinese herbs and teas, which I also think have been helpful.

Essential oils (there's one formulated specifically for Lyme) and foot detox pads.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yoga. Which I couldn't actually do without medication (Flexeril and sometimes Vicodin). But together, the meds and the yoga control my muscle pain and I'm determined the yoga just makes me healthier and calmer.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Essential oils
Niacin
N-Acetyl Cysteine
Yunan Baiyao
Serraflazyme
Celery seed extract
Andrographis
Heat
Stretching/yoga/qigong

Posts: 208 | From New Mexico | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- Heat - sometimes - but sometimes makes worse. Good for pain issues for me.

-omega3, eventing primrose, grape seed extract, EmergenC Lite, glucosamine, magnesium and Calcium... and others from time to time

-excercise daily - small amounts, low grade cardio (good for me, not everybody)

-homeopathics for certain sx like sinus, vertigo, arnica for pain

- Acupuncture - I am an acupuncturist and treat myself or exchange with others for all the tendon/muscle/joint problems. Great also for anxiety, insomnia, neuro (numbing, twitching whatever). It provides almost immediate relief for most of these symptoms - sometimes it won't will feel better until the next day.

- Chinese herbs - great for a lot of the side issues e.g. sinus problems, viruses etc... Use them in all instances instead of modern decongestants etc as they wack out my Lyme. In past I was able to get on potent "cold" abx-like formula to get me off of abx. Haven't tried that since... when things get real bad I need the tried and tested - no messing around. I need antibiotics at those times.

Problem with Chinese herbs is that many Lyme patients cannot take a lot of the tonifying herbs that help many people, because it seems that many of them will feed the Lyme and trigger bad reactions. This applies to certain chinese sleep formulas, nourishing formulas, calming formulas, "blood-building" formulas. But only certain of these formulas. Some of them are just fine and work great.

Make sure your acupuncturist knows that we have to start at low dosages and to watch for negative reactions and we have to be careful about "tonifying" (your acupuncturist will understand this). In Chinese medicine, first we have to clear and then tonify. Clearing applies to an excess - which is an exterior pathogen, or an excess heat (which Lyme is). Difficult because many Lyme px are very deficient and so the inclination would be to "tonify" them.

But don't get me wrong - chinese herbs can be so helpful and I don't know how I would survive without them. They just have to be the right ones, and we have to approach with caution. Like somebody said, it might take a while to find the right acupuncturist. But when you do, I think it will make a world of difference [Smile]

Posts: 588 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
change of diet
chiropractor
homeopathic remedies
trigger point therapy ( got rid of 3 years chronic shoulder pain in ONE session- no lie)
sauna
essential oils
ART and all that it encompasses
muscle testing
various herbs
visualization therapy
liver flushes

Call me a nut, but Im better.

--------------------
You want your life back? Take it.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mceline
Member # 9235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mceline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luvs2ride....can you elaborate on how/what you did to change your diet?
Posts: 45 | From mn | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TexasChaos
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TexasChaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If y'all would be interested, I can try to write this up as an anonymous online survey (like the one for Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding I am conducting at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=275602353389)

Then the survey program helps analyze the answers and even calculates percentages and such. If y'all are interested, let me know, because I would sure love to see a lot of people's answers on this and see if there are any patterns.

One site that I use is http://www.remedyfind.com/
You can look up treatments which have been rated as the most effective for specific health conditions / concerns.

Posts: 220 | From central TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be alive today without my Colloidal silver. I'd throw in other natural abx such as oil of oregano, ascorbic acid and honey. See a naturopath if you can find one.

Diet-Try to eat only REAL foods (meat,veggies,fruit,nuts)

Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies, v interesting.

Luvs2ride...the alkaline diet sounds good...how do you know you are just eating alkaline though? Is there a diet sheet somewhere online?

Andie333- I do use the blend of oils for Lyme thanks.

CrimeOfLyme - no problem with your suggestions, makes sense to me.

Will have to look up some of the therapies mentioned -though acupuncture seems to come up a lot.

BW
Emma

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwenb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwenb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Diet - low carb/alkaline - try to follow the specific carbohydrate diet.
2. Magnesium - essential
3. Exercise
4. Essential fatty acids
5. Digestive enzymes
6. Homeopathic
7. Herbs - based on energy testing - they have been AMAZING
8. L-carnitine
9. Probiotics
10. No drinking, no coffee, no asparatame, no diet coke

Gwen

Posts: 227 | From vancouver,bc | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement