LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » New York Times New Suspect in Bacterial Resistance: Amalgams

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New York Times New Suspect in Bacterial Resistance: Amalgams
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Article today in the NY times

Edited: my mistake, the article is not from today. I'm looking for newer studies.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9F0CE0DF173FF934A15757C0A965958260
New Suspect In Bacterial Resistance: Amalgam
Print Single-Page Save

By GINA KOLATA
Published: April 27, 1993
WHEN penicillin first became used as a drug, it was a sure-fire means of massacring bacteria. But the microorganisms have fought back with a vengeance. As many as half of all bacteria that cause urinary tract infections, for example, are now impervious to penicillin and other common antibiotics because the bacteria have developed resistance.

The cause of the development of resistance is something of a mystery but microbiologists have now come up with a surprising new suspect: dental fillings.

Amalgam, the dark gray material that dentists commonly use to fill cavities in molar teeth, is 50 percent mercury, which, studies have shown, slowly leaches out of the fillings.

The possible connection with antibiotic resistance comes about because genes that protect bacteria against mercury poisoning are often bundled together with genes that make the bacteria resistant to antibiotics. So if mercury from fillings elicits and maintains a population of bacteria that are resistant to mercury, it might also elicit and maintain bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.

In a study published in the current issue of the journal Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Dr. Anne O. Summers of the University of Georgia and her colleagues show that in monkeys at least, that is what happens. When the researchers put fillings into the molars of six monkeys, they found that within five weeks bacteria in the monkeys' intestines became resistant not only to mercury but also to commonly used antibiotics, including penicillin, streptomycin, kanamycin, chloramphenicol and tetracycline.

"It is a provocative and intriguing finding," said Dr. George Jacoby of Harvard Medical School. Dr. Jacoby, an expert on antibiotic resistant bacteria, added that although overuse of antibiotics was undoubtedly a major cause of resistant bacteria, the new study indicated that "it could be that dental fillings are also inadvertently contributing to the problem."

Others agreed. "The public health implications are enormous," said Dr. Stanley Opella, a chemist at the University of Pennsylvania who is studying mercury resistance in bacteria. But he cautioned that although "the chances are good" that fillings generate antibiotic-resistant bacteria, "it is still a basic research finding that needs to be checked out."

The American Dental Association, responding to news of the study, said that amalgam fillings were safe and that a study concentrating on animals "cannot be viewed as affecting humans."

The new study "is very interesting research," said Dr. Terry Donovan, of the dental association's council on dental materials, but he added that the findings were far from conclusive. "I don't think anyone should be concerned at the present time," he said.

Dr. Summers has worked on the genetics and molecular biology of mercury resistance for 20 years. She and others discovered years ago that people commonly had mercury-resistant bacteria in their intestines. But they had been plagued by one question: Where did the mercury come from? Path of Mercury in Body

A variety of studies, starting in the 1970's, had traced the path that mercury takes in the body. In combination with other studies showing that mercury vapor can seep out of dental fillings, they presented a picture of how mercury might enter the intestines.

The process begins when mercury vapor from dental fillings is inhaled into the lungs and enters the bloodstream. Cells then transform it into a mercury ion, which is then transported to the intestines for excretion in the feces. In the intestines, it encounters mercury-resistant bacteria, which -- to protect themselves -- convert the ionic mercury back into a mercury vapor.

Although this offered a plausible explanation of why mercury-resistant bacteria are so common in human intestines, Dr. Summers said, she and her colleagues were puzzled by the persistence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in people who had not recently taken antibiotics.

Dr. Stuart B. Levy, a microbiologist at the Tufts University School of Medicine who studies antibiotic resistance, had studied the intestinal bacteria in a group of more than 600 people, two-thirds of whom had not taken antibiotics within two weeks. He found that more than 60 percent of the entire group had a large percentage of intestinal bacteria that were resistant to antibiotics, including ampicillin and tetracycline.

In the study just published, Dr. Levy collaborated with Dr. Summers and others, sampling oral and fecal bacteria of two types, the Enterobacteriaceae, a group that includes the common rod-shaped E. coli bacteria, and the enterococci, a group that includes the round streptococci.

The study found that in the five weeks before the monkeys had their teeth filled, on average, 1 percent of the oral Enterobacteriaceae were resistant to antibiotics. Afterwards, 13 percent were resistant and remained resistant even after the fillings were subsequently removed and an additional two months had gone by.

About 9 percent of the intestinal Enterobacteriacae were resistant to antibiotics before the monkeys received fillings. Afterward, up to 70 percent were resistant. When the fillings were removed, the percentage of resistant intestinal bacteria fell to 12 percent.

The next step, Dr. Summers said, will be to examine human oral and intestinal bacteria. She and her colleagues will be sampling bacteria in people before and after they get new amalgam fillings.

Dr. Levy thinks that if fillings turn out to be significant contributors to antibiotic resistance in humans, dentists may want to stop using amalgams.

But Dr. Donovan said that is not so easy. Although fillings can also be made of gold, a composite resin, or porcelain, he said, "any alternative to amalgam is considerably more expensive and probably doesn't last as long, with the exception of gold."

[ 13. July 2006, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mycoplasma1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mycoplasma1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!

Good find.

Chris

Posts: 216 | From Upstate NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LYMESCIENCE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, you get an A+ from me. Totally kick *** find!
Posts: 559 | From Cary, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monkeyshines
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeyshines     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that makes me think I should try abx again now that I've had my amalgams out. They (abx) haven't done anything for me to date.

I'm confused by the date, though. The NYT masthead says today's date, but on the article itself it says published April 27, 1993 (not that that makes it any less valid).

monkeyshines

Posts: 343 | From Northern VA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool find!
Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that this is 13 years old and has been disproven by further studies means nothing???

In science 13 years is a lifetime many times over.

Amalgams are safe...if they were not, MILLIONS of people would be sick...they are not...I know MANY Dentists, some retired, who have had absolutely no problem with Amalgams.

Studies must be replicable to be valid...

Studies must stand up to peer rview to be valid.

Studies that are old news are just that.

The sky is not falling. There is NOTHING better that amalgam for large fillings, and composites are toxic and mush weaker that amalgams.

Brush and floss and stop worrying!

Peace, love and wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right monkeyshines - I was looking at the wrong date on the page.

Aside from environmental studies on polluted areas, I wonder what other, more recent studies have been done?

I'm researching this right now since I'm going to start metal chelation. I'll post anything else that seems pertinent as I find it.

Thanks,
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the REAL NY Times Health page for today:

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/health/index.html

FYI...many studies have been done that show Mercury does NOT effect learning, etc., in children, as the doomsayers would have you believe.

Yes, in VERY high levels, Mercury can be harmful to the DEVELOPING fetus, but these levels are not readily reached.

Don't worry, be happy!

JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting -- thanks!
Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Hello JR,
That *is* a real NY times article. As I've already said, I made a mistake about the date, I was looking at the date in the header of the page.

I appreciate you telling me not to worry however I have high levels of lead and much exposure to lead as a child since my father had his gunsmith shop in our house. Because of that I'm doing research. I need to do this research and I feel there are others on this list that are interested in metals and bacteria as well so I will be posting anything that I find that I think may be useful.

I like to make my own decisions based on the information available. It's entirely possible that the information in this article has been debunked. I am looking for evidence of the studies you mention. I'd love to review your resources so perhaps you can post a link?

Here is a source that say's that metals *do* cause some bacteria to become resistant. This is environmental bacteria, not in humans but it's not too far of a stretch to think that it occurs in humans, especially in light of the info in the article from the NY times.

Go to the link to read the whole article
http://www.uga.edu/srel/Fact_Sheets/microbial_ecology.htm
Use of bacteria as indicators of industrial pollution and cleanup
...For example, one result of metal pollution is an increase in the
numbers and kinds of metal-resistant bacteria. The genes that code
for metal resistance are often carried on plasmids, or small mobile
pieces of DNA. Coincidentally, these same plasmids often carry genes
that confer antibiotic resistance. In a survey of bacterial
assemblages collected from Four Mile Creek on the SRS, we found that:

highest levels of antibiotic resistance were found in bacteria in a
tributary stream that drains Central Shops and C-Reactor,
there may be significant industrial contamination in this tributary
but not in the main stream channel, and
it appears that antibiotic resistance may be a good indicator of
level of contamination and thus need for cleanup.
Terry

TerryK
Member # 8552

In 2004, University College in London seems to think that mercury amalgams can lead to abx resistance. Sorry I don't have the whole article but they do state this in their opening statement.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15907536&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum

Linkage of a novel mercury resistance operon with streptomycin resistance on a conjugative plasmid in Enterococcus faecium.

Davis IJ, Roberts AP, Ready D, Richards H, Wilson M, Mullany P.

Division of Microbial Diseases, Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, 256 Gray's Inn Road, London, WC1X 8LD, UK.

It has been shown that the mercury in dental amalgam and other environmental sources can select for mercury resistant bacteria and that this can lead to an increase in resistance to antibiotics. To understand more about this linkage we have investigated the genetic basis for mercury and antibiotic resistance in a variety of oral bacteria. In this study we have cloned and sequenced the mer operon from an Enterococcus faecium strain which was resistant to mercury, tetracycline, and streptomycin. This strain was isolated, in a previous investigation, from a cynomolgus monkey post-installation of amalgam fillings. The mer operon was contained within a putative transposon (Tnmer1) of the ISL3 family. This element was located on a streptomycin resistant plasmid, pPPM1000, which shares homology with pRE25.

PMID: 15907536 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

TerryK
Member # 8552

Another one older than the last one. This applies to oral bacteria whereas the monkey study applied to intestinal bacteria.

: Microb Drug Resist. 2003 Spring;9(1):93-7. Related Articles, Links

Effect of restoration of children's teeth with mercury amalgam on the prevalence of mercury- and antibiotic-resistant oral bacteria.

Pike R, Lucas V, Petrie A, Roberts G, Stapleton P, Rowbury R, Richards H, Mullany P, Wilson M.

Department of Microbiology, Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, London WC1X 8LD.

The purpose of this study was to determine whether placement of mercury amalgam restorations in children's teeth induces an increase in oral bacteria resistant to mercury, penicillin, ampicillin, erythromycin, or tetracycline. Dental plaque and saliva samples from 16 children without mercury amalgam restorations were screened for bacteria resistant to mercury or to one of the antibiotics prior to, and 1 month after, placement of the amalgam restoration. Following amalgam placement, there was no significant increase in the number of children harboring bacteria resistant to mercury, penicillin, ampicillin, erythromycin, or tetracycline; neither was there an increase in the proportions of such organisms. This study has shown that the presence of mercury restorations in children's teeth has little effect on the prevalence of mercury- or antibiotic-resistant oral bacteria.

PMID: 12705688 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

TerryK
Member # 8552

Entrez PubMed

Roum Arch Microbiol Immunol. 2000 Jan-Jun;59(1-2):71-9. Related Articles, Links

Mercury resistance among clinical isolates of Escherichia coli.

Poiata A, Badicut I, Indres M, Biro M, Buiuc D.

University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Microbiology Dept., Iasi, Romania.

The use of organomercurials in liquid detergents and disinfectants promoted resistance to mercury among bacteria. Dental amalgam and industries using mercury are the main source of human exposure to mercury vapor. Release of mercury from dental amalgam contributes to the enrichment of the intestinal flora with mercury resistance plasmids which may be associated with antibiotic resistance. The aim of our study was to evaluate the frequency of E. coli strains resistant to mercury and other antimicrobial agents currently used in therapy. The bacterial mercury and ampicillin, cephalexin, cefotaxime, gentamicin, tetracycline and chloramphenicol resistance was tested against 363 E. coli strains obtained from faeces and urine between 1999-2000. According to the guidelines suggested by NCCLS (1998), minimum inhibitory concentrations (MICs) were determined on Mueller-Hinton agar, using the dilution technique with an inoculum of about 10(5) CFU. The MICs were read after 18 h incubation at 37 degrees C as the lowest concentration that inhibited the development of visible growth. Plasmids in enterobacteria may carry genes encoding resistance to both mercury and antibiotics. Among the tested E. coli strains, mercury resistance rose to 29.2%. Mercury resistance in E. coli is significantly linked to multiresistance to antimicrobial agents. Between 91.5-23.6 of mercury chloride resistant isolates were also resistant to the tested antibiotics. The increased use of non antibiotic antimicrobial agents is a possible selection factor for antibiotic-resistant strains in clinical and domestic environments.

PMID: 11845478 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the earth is round!

References 1 to 891 can be viewed at www.neuraltherapy.com/articles/ A comprehensive......

I thought I would show here some more of the published science on mercury in the human body

F. References
and recommended reading about mercury from dental fillings and related issues.

The references for chlorella, CGF, Fish oil, cilantro, garlic, ART, APN and others can be obtained from the American Academy of Neural Therapy: [email protected] and at www.neuraltherapy.com

892 Carlson, J., Larsen, J.T., and Edlund, M.-B.: Peptostreptococcus micros has a uniquely high capacity to form hydrogen sulfide from glutathione. Oral Microbiol. Immunol., 8: 42-45, 1993

893 Debelian, G.J., Olsen, I., and Tronstad, L.: Systemic diseases caused by oral microorganisms. Endod. Dent. Traumatol., 10: 57-65, 1994

894 De Boever, E.H., De Uzeda, M., and Loesche, W.J.: Relationship between volatile sulfur compounds, BANA-hydrolyzing bacteria and gingival health in patients with and without complaints of moral malodour. J. Clin. Dent., 4: 114-119, 1994

895 Duhr, E.F., Pendergrass, J.C., Slevin, J.T., and Haley, B.E.: HgEDTA complex inhibits GTP interactions with the E-site of the brain �-tubulin. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol., 122: 273-280, 1993

896 Giuliana, G., Ammatuna, P., Pizzo, G., Capone, F., and D'Angelo, M.: Occurrence of invading bacteria in radicular dentin of periodontally diseased teeth: microbiological findings. J. Clin. Periodonto., 24: 478-485, 1997

897 Granlundt-Edstedt, M., Johannson, E., Claesson, R., and Carlsson, J.: Effect of anaerobiosis and sulfide on killing of bacteria by polymorphonuclear leukocytes. J. Periodont. Res., 8: 346-353, 1993

898 Hannah, R.S., Hayden, L.J., and Roth, S.H.: Hydrogen sulfide exposure alters the amino acid content in developing rat CNS. Neurosci. Lett., 99: 323-327, 1989

899 Johnson, P.W., Yaegaki, K., and Tonzetich, J.: Effect of volatile thiol compounds on protein metabolism by human gingival fibroblasts. J. Periodont. Res., 27: 553-561, 1992

900 Khatoon, S., Campbell, S.R., Haley, B.E., and Slevin, J.T.: Aberrant guanosine triphosphate-�-tubulin interaction in Alzheimer's disease. Ann. Neurol., 26: 210-215, 1989

901 Kilburn, K.H., and Warshaw, R.H.: Hydrogen sulfide and reduced-sulphur gases adversely affect neurophysiological functions. Toxicol. Ind. Health, 11: 185-197, 1995

902 Kombian, S.B., Reiffenstein, R.J, and Colmers, W.F.: The actions of hydrogen sulfide on dorsal raphe serotonergic neurons in vitro. J. Neurophysiol. 81-96, 1993

903 Larsen, J.T., Claesson, R., Edlund, M.-B. and Carlsson, J.:Competition for peptides and amino acids among periodontal bacteria. J. Periodont. Res.,30: 390-395, 1995

904 Loomer, P.M., Sigusch, B., Sukhu, B., Ellen, R.P. and Tenenbaum, H.C.: Direct effects of metabolic products and sonicated extracts of Porphyromonas gingivalis 2561 on osteogenesis in vitro. Infect. Immun., 62: 1289-1297, 1994

905 Nair, P.N:R., Sjogren, U., Krey, G., Kahnberg, K.-E., Sundqvist, G.: Intraradicular bacteria and fungi in root-filled, asymptomatic human teeth with therapy-resistant periapical lesions: a long-term light and electron microscopic follow-up study. J. Endodon., 16: 580-588, 1990

906 Pendergrass, J.C., Haley, B.E., Vimy, M.J., Winfield, S.A., and Lorscheider, F.L.: Mercury vapor inhalation inhibits binding of GTP to tubulin in rat brain: similarity to a molecular lesion in Alzheimer diseased brain. Neurotoxicology, 18: 315-324, 1996

907 Pendergrass, J.C., Haley, B.E.: Inhibition of brain tubulin-guanosine 5'-triphosphate interactions by mercury: Similarity to Observations in Alzheimer's diseased brain. Metal ions in biological systems: mercury and its effects on environment and biology (Sigel, H. and Sigel, A., eds) Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, pp461-478, 1996

908 Pendergrass, J.C., Haley, B.E.: Mercury-EDTA complex specifically blocks brain �-tubulin interactions: similarity to observations in Alzheimer's disease. Status quo and perspectives of amalgam and other dental materials (Friberg L.T. and Schrauzer G.N., eds) Georg Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart, pp98-105, 1995

909 Persson, S.: Hydrogen sulfide and methyl mercaptan in periodontal pockets. Oral Microbiol. Immunol., 7: 378-379, 1992

910 Persson, S., Claesson, R., Carlsson, J.: Chemotaxis and degranulation of polymorphonuclear leukocytes in the presence of sulfide. Oral Microbiol. Immunol., 8: 46-49, 1993

911 Ratcliff, P.: Local predisposing events leading to gingivitis and periodontitis. J. Periodont., 66: 749-750, 1995

912 Reiffenstein, R.J., Hulbert, W.C., and Roth, S.H.: Toxicology of hydrogen sulfide. Annu. Rev. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 109-134, 1992

913 Roth, S.H., Skrajny, B., and Reiffenstein, R.J.: Alterations of the morphology and neurochemistry of the developing mammalian nervous system by hydrogen sulfide. Clin. Exptl. Pharmacol. Physiol., 22: 379-380, 1995

914 Skrajny, B., Reiffenstein, R.J. Sainsbury, R.S., and Roth, S.H.: Effects of repeated exposures of hydrogen sulphide on rat hippocampal EEG. Toxicol. Lett., 84: 43-53, 1996

915 Warenycia, M.W., Goodwin, L.R., Benishin, C.G., Reiffenstein, R.J., et al.: Acute hydrogen sulfide poisoning. Biochem. Pharmacol., 38: 973-981, 1989

916 Safavi, K.E., Rossomando, E.F.: Tumor necrosis factor identified in periapical tissue exudates of teeth with apical periodontitis. J. of Endodontitis, 17(1): 12ff, 1990

917 Maiorino, R.M., et al.:Sodium 2,3-dimercaptopropane-1-sulfonate challenge test for mercury in humans. III. Urinary mercury after exposure to mercurous chloride. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 277(2): 938-44, 1996

918 Keith, R.L., et al.: Utilization of renal slices to evaluate the efficacy of chelating agents for removing mercury from the kidney. Toxicology, 116(1-3): 67-75, 1997

919 Aposhian, M.M., et al.: Sodium 2,3-dimercapto-1-propanesulfonate (DMPS) treatment does not redistribute lead or mercuri to the brain of rat. Toxicology, 109(1): 49-55, 1996

920 Aposhian, H.V., et al.: Urinary mercury after administration of 2,3-dimercaptopropane-1-sulfonic acid: correlation with dental amalgam score. FASEB J., 6(7): 2472-6, 1992

921 Aposhian, H.V., et al.: Human studies with the chelating agents, DMPS and DMSA. J. Toxicol. Clin. Toxicol., 30(4): 505-28, 1992

922 Hermann, M., Schweinsberg, F.: Biomonitoring for the evaluation of a mercury burden from amalgam fillings. Mercury determination in urine before and after oral doses of 2,3-dimercapto-1-propanesulfonic acid (DMPS) and in hair. Abteilung Allgemeine Hygiene und Umwelthygiene, Universit�t T�bingen, Zentralbl-Hyg-Umweltmed., 194(3): 271-91, 1993

923 Zander, D., et al.: The mercury exposure of the population. III. Mercury mobilisation by DMPS (Dimaval) in subjects with and without amalgam fillings. Medizinisches Institut f�r Umwelthygiene, Heinrich Heine-Universit�t D�sseldorf

924 Molin, M., et al.; Mobilized mercury in subjects with varying exposure to elemental mercury vapour. Int. Arch. Occup. Environ. Health, 63(3): 187-92, 1991

925 Maiorino, R.M., et al.: Determination and metabolism of dithiol chelating agents. XII Metabolism and pharmakinetics of sodium 2,3-dimercapto-1-sulfonate in humans. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 259(2): 808-14, 1991

926 Gerhard, I., et al.: Diagnosis of heavy metal loading by the oral DMPS and chewing gum tests. Clin. Lab., 38: 404-11,

927 Gonzales-Ramirez, D., et al.: Urinary mercury, porphyrins and neurobehavioral changes in dental workers in Monterrey, Mexico. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Therap., 272: 264-274, 1995

928 Godfrey, M. and Campbell N.: Confirmation of mercury retention and toxicity using (DMPS). J. Advance Med., 7(1): 19-30, 1994

929 WHO Criteria 118, 1991

930 Konetzka, W.: Microbiology of metal transformation, microorganisms and minerals, 317-342, 1977

931 Lexmond, T.-M., et al.: On the methylation of inorganic mercury and the decomposition of organo-mercury compounds - A review. Neth. J. Aci., 24: 79-97, 1976

932 Compeau, G. and Bartha, R.: Methylation and demethylation of mercury under controlled redox, pH and salinity conditions. Appl. & Environ. Microbio. Vol. 48, No. 6, 1203-1207, 1984

933 Edwards, T.: Biosyntheses and degradation of methyl mercury in human faeces. Nature, Vol. 253, 462-464, 1975

934 Blum, J. and Bartha, R.: Effect of salinity on Methylation of mercury. Bulletin Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 25: 404-408, 1980

935 Bertilson, L. and Neujahr, H.Y.: Methylation of mercury compounds by methylcobalamin. Biochemistry, Vol. 10, No. 14, 2805-2828, 1971

936 Imura, N., et al.: Chemical Methylation of inorganic mercury with methylcobalamin, a vitamin B-12 analog. Science, Vol. 172, 1248-1249, 1971

937 Jernelov, A. and Martin, A.: Ecological implications of methal metabolism by microorganisms. Annual Review of Microbiology, 61-77, 1975

938 Lander, L.: Biochemical model for the biological Methylation of mercury suggested from Methylation studies in vivo with Neurospora crassa. Nature, Vol. 230, 452-454, 1971

939 Wataha et al.: Dental Materials. 10(5): pp2988-303, 1994

940 Hamdy, M.K., and Noyes, O.R.: Formation of methyl mercury by bacteria. Appl. Microbiol., Vol. 30, No. 3, 424-432, 1975

941 Brunker, R.L. and Bott, T.L.: Reduction of mercury to the elemental state by a yeast. Appl. Microbiol., Vol 27, No. 5, 870-73, 1974

942 Holm, H.W. and Cox, M.F.: Transformation of elemental mercury by bacteria. Appl. Microbiol., Vol. 29, No. 4, 491&494, 1975

943 Pan Hou, H.S. and Imura, N.: Involvement of mercury Methylation in Microbial mercury detoxification. Arch. Microbiol., 131: 176-177, 1982

944 Bisogni, J.J. and Lawrence, A.W.: Kinetics of mercury Methylation in aerobic and anaerobic aquatic environments. J. Water Pollut. Control Fed., 47: 135-152, 1975

945 Report on the international committee on MAC values on mercury (1969)

946 USEPA document on mercury 1973 & 1984

947 US NIOSH document on mercury 1973

948 Wieliczka, D.M. et al.: Equilibrium vapor pressure of mercury from dental amalgam in vitro. Dent. Mater., 12(3): 179-184, 1996

949 Bjorkman, L. and Lind, B.: Factors influencing mercury evaporation from dental amalgam fillings. Scand. J. Dent. Res., 100(6) 354-60, 1992

950 Lussi, A.: Mercury release from amalgam into saliva: An in-vitro study. Schweiz. Monatsschr. Zahnmed. 103(6): 722-6, 1993

951 Olson, S. and Bergman, M.: Daily dose calculations from measurements of intra-oral mercury vapor. J. Dent. Res., 71(2): 414--23, 1992

952 Vimy, M.J. and Lorscheider, F.L.: Dental amalgam mercury daily dose estimated from intra-oral vapor measurements: A predictor of mercury accumulation in human tissues. The Journal of trace elements in exderimental medicine, 3(1): 11-123, 1990

953 Emler and Cardone: An assessment of mercury in mouth air. Oral Roberts University, March 1985

954 Vimy, M.J. and Lorscheider, F.L.: Serial measurements of intra-oral air mercury: estimation of daily dose from dental amalgam. J. Dent. Res.,64(8): 1072-5, 1985

955 Abraham, J. et al.: The effect of dental amalgam restorations on blood mercury levels. J. Dent. Res., 63(1): 71 & 73, 1984

956 Ott, K. et al.: Mercury burden due to amalgam fillings. Dtsch. Zahn�rztl. Zeitung, 39(9): 199-205, 1984

957 Svare, C.W. et al.: The effects of dental amalgam on mercury levels in expired air. J. Dent. Res.,60(9): 1668-1671, 1981

958 Stortebecker, P.: Mercury poisoning from dental amalgam

959 Schubert, J.: Combined effects in toxicology - A rapid systematic testing procedure cadmium, mercury and lead. J. Toxic. Envir. Health, 4: 763-776, 1978

960 Fedin, B.: Swed. Dent. J. 3: 8-15, 1988

961 Pendergrass, et al.: Neurotoxicology. 18(2): 315-324, 1997

962 Hanson, M.: J. Orthomol. Psychatry, Vol 12, No. 3, 1983

963 Vimy, M.J. and Lorscheider, F.L.J.: Dent. Res., 64: 1069-71, 1985

964 Berglund, A. et al.: Determination of the rate of release of intra-oral mercury vapor from amalgam. J. Dent. Res., 67: 1235-242, 1988

965 Grandjean, P. et al.: Cognitive deficit in 7-year-old children with prenatal exposure to methylmercury. Neurotoxicol. Teratol., 19(6): 417-28, 1997

966 Marlowe et al.: Low mercury levels and childhood intelligence. J. of orthomol. Medicine, Vol 1, No. 1, 1986

967 Reinhardt, J.W.: Side-effects: mercury contribution to body burden from dental amalgam. Adv. Dent. Res. 6:110-3, 1992

968 Vanherle, G.: Dental care using silver amalgam. Verh. K. Acad. Belg., 58(5): 587-634, 1996

969 Danscher, G. et al.: Traces of mercury in organs from primates with amalgam fillings. Department of Neurobiol. Univers. Of Aarhus, Denmark, Exp-Mol-Pathol., 52(3):219-9, 1990

970 Weiner, J.A. et al.: Does mercury from amalgam restorations constitute a health hazard? AU: AD: National Board of occupat. Safety and Health, Solna, Sweden, Sci-Total-Environ. 99(1-2): 1-22, 1990

971 Drasch, G. et al.: Eur. J. Pediatr., 153(8): 607-10, 1994

972 Arvidson, B.: Inorganic mercury is transported from muscular nerve terminals to spinal and brainstem motoneurons. Muscle Nerve, 15(10): 1089-1094, 1992

973 Retrograde axonal transport of mercury in primary sensory neurons innervating the tooth pulp in the rat. Neurosci. Lett. 115(1): 29-32, 1990

974 Aschner: Effects of systemic methyl mercury-adulerated water consumption on fast axonal transport in the rat visual system. Acta Pharmacol. Toxicol. (Copenh.), 59(5): 349-55, 1986

975 Lorscheider, F.L. et al.: FASEB J. 9(4): A-3845. FASEB Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, 10th March 1995

976 Szucs, A. et al.: Effects of inorganic mercury and methymercury on the ionic currents of cultured rat hippocampal neurons. Cell. Mol. Neurobiol., 17(3): 273-88, 1997

977 Goering et al.: Fundam. Appl. Toxicol., 19: 319-329, 1992

978 Pendergrass, J.C. et al.: Mercury Vapor inhalation inhibits binding of GTP to tubulin in rat brain: Similarity to a molecular lesion in Alzheimer diseased brain. Neurotoxicology, in press, 1997

979 Haley, B.E. et al.: FASEB J. 9(4): A-3845. FASEB Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, 10th March 1995

980 Duhr, E. et al.: Federations of American Societies for experimental biology (FASEB). 75th Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia. 21.-25 April 1991. Abstract 493. Hg2+ induces GTP-tubulin interactions in rat brain similar to those observed in Alzheimer's disease.

981 Pamphlett, R. and Waley, P.: Motor neurons uptake of low dose inorganic mercury. J. Neurol. Sci., 135(1): 63-7, 1996

982 Oskarsson, A., et al.: Total and inorganic mercury in breast milk in relation to fish consumption and amalgam in lactating women. Arch. Environ. Health, 51(3): 234-41, 1996

983 Amin.Zaki, L., et al.: Methyl mercury poisoning in the Iraqi suckling infant: A longitudinal study over five years. J. Appl. Toxicol., 1(4): 2104, 1981

984 Redhe, O.: Pleva recovery from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and from allergy after removal of dental amalgam fillings. J. Int. J. Risk Safety Medicine, 4: 229-236, 1994

985 Enwonwu, C.O.: Potential health hazard of the use of mercury in dentistry: Critical review of the literature. Environ. Res., 42: 257-274, 1987

986 Guinta, F. et al.: Severe acute poisoning from the ingestion of a permanent ware solution of mercuric chloride. Hum. Toxicol., 2: 243-246, 1983

987 Rosenmann, K.D., et al.: Sensitive indicators of inorganic mercury toxicity. Arch. Environ. Health, 41: 208-215, 1986

988 Desi, I., et al.: Effect of subchronic mercury exposure on electrocorticogram of rats. Neurotoxicology. 17(3-4): 719, 23, 1996

989 Angotzi, G., et al.: Impairment of nervous system in workers exposed to inorganic mercury. Toxicol. Eur. Res., 3(6): 275-8, 1981

990 Marriott, J.B., Quasim: Anti-phospholipid antibodies in the mercuric chloride treated brown Norway rat. J. Autoimmun., 4:457:67, 1994

991 Shapiro, et al. and Ship II, et al.: Reported the relation between cumulative exposure to mercury and chronic health impairment

992 Cutright, D.E., et al.: Systemic mercury levels caused by inhaling mist during high-speed amalgam grinding. J. Oral Med., 28, 100, 1973

993 Cross et al.: Blood of dentists. Lancet, 312, 1978

994 Ngim, C.H., et al.: Chronic neurobehavioral effects of elemental mercury in dentists. British Journal of Industrial Medicine, 49: 782-790, 1992

995 Foo, S.C., et al.: Neurobehavioral effects in occupational chemical exposure. Environ. Res., 60(2): 267-73, 1993

996 Uzzell, B.P., et al.: Chronic low-level mercury exposure and neuropsychological functioning. J. Clin. Exp. Neuropsych., 8(5): 581-593, 1986

997 Shapiro, I.M. et al.: Neurophysiological and neuropsychological function in mercury exposed dentists. Lancet, 1(8282): 1147-1150, 1982

998 Echeverria, D. et al.: Behavioral effects of low-level exposure to Hg among dentists. Neurotoxicology and Teratology, 17(2): 161-168, 1995

999 Ritchie, K.A. et al.: Psychomotor testing of dentists with chronic low-level mercury exposure. J. Dent. Res., 74(S1): 420, A-160

1000 Drasch et al.: Trace elements in medicine and biology. 9(2):82-7, 1995#

1001 Hahn, L.J., et al.: FASEB J., 4(14): 3256-60, 1990

1002 Vimy, M.J., et al.: Am. J. Physiol., 258(Pt. 2): R939-45, 1990

1003 Vimy et al.: Mercury from maternal ``silver'' tooth fillings in sheep and human breast milk. Biological Trace Element Research, V56, pp143, 1997

1004 Wenstrup, D., et al.: Trace element imbalances in isolated subcellular fractions of Alzheimer's disease brains. Department of Chemistry, University of Kentucky, Lexington. Brain Res., 533:1, 125-31, 1990

1005 Nylander, M., et al.: Mercury concentrations in the human brain and kidneys in relation to exposure from dental amalgam fillings. Swe. Dent. J., 11:5, 179-87, 1987

1006 Friberg, L. et al.: Kvicksilver I centrala nervsystemet I relation till amalgamfyllningar (Mercury in the central nervous system in relation to dental amalgam). Lakartidningen, 83:519-22, 1986

1007 Eggelston, D.W., et al.: Correlation of dental amalgam with mercury in brain tissue. J. Pros. Dent., 58: 704-7, 1987

1008 Schiele et al. in 1984

1009 Nylander, M., et al.: Mercury concentration in the human brain and kidneys in relation to exposure from dental amalgam fillings. Swed. Dent. J., 11(5): 179-87, 1987

1010 Weiner, J.A. and Nylander, M.: The relationship between mercury concentration in human organs and different predictor variables. National Board of Occup. Safety and health, Solna, Sweden. Sci-Total-Environ., 138(1-3): 101-15, 1993

1011 Drasch, G., et al.: Silver concentrations in human tissues, their dependence on dental amalgam and other factors. Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology, 9(2): 82-7, 1995

1012 Smith, D.H.: Science, 156, 1114, 1967

1013 Duhr, E. et al.: Hg2+ induces GTP-tubulin interactions in rat brain similar to those observed in Alzheimer's disease. FASEB, 75th Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, 21.25 April 1991, Abstract 493

1014 Pendergrass, J. et al.: The deleterious effects of low micromolar mercury on important brain and cerebrospinal fluid protein. American Association of pharmaceutical scientists, Annual Meeting, 5-9 November, 1995, Miami

1015 Pendergrass, J.C. et al.: Mercury vapor inhalation inhibits binding of tubulin in rat brain: Similarity to a molecular lesion in Alzheimer disease d brain. Neurotoxicology, In Press June-July 1997

1016 Lorscheider, F.L., et al.: Toxicity of ionic mercury and elemental mercury vapour on brain neuronal protein metabolism. 1994

1017 Summers, A.O. et al.: Mercury released from dental ``silver'' fillings provokes an increase in mercury- and antibiotic-resistant bacteria in oral and intestinal floras of primates. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 37(4): 825-34, 1993

1018 Edlund, C. et al.: Resistance of the normal human microflora. Mercury and antimicrobials after exposure to mercury from dental amalgam fillings. Clin. Inf. Dis. 22(6): 944-950, June 1996

1019 Liebert, C.A. et al.: The impact of mercury released from dental ``silver'' fillings on antibiotic resistances in the primate oral and intestinal bacterial flora. Met. Ions. Biol. Syst., 34:441-60, 1997

1020 Catsakis, L.H., Sulica, V.I.: Allergy to silver amalgams. Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol., 46(3): 371-5, 1978

1021 Stejskal, V.D.M., et al.: The lymphocyte transformation test for diagnosis of drug-induced occupational allergy., Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 77, 411-426

1022 Stejskal, V.D.M. et al.: Lymphocyte transformation test for diagnosis of isohia-zolinone allergy in man., J. of Investigative Derma-tology 94, 798-902

1023 Stejskal, V.D.M. et al.: Allergy to drugs and other chemicals diagnosed by the presence of specific memory cells in human blood. In realm of tolerance. Edited by P. Ivanyi. Pp. 213-224. Springer-Verlag, Berlin

1024 Wilhelm-M, Dunninger, P. et al.: Effects of amalgam on cells of the immune system. Einfluss von Amalgam auf Zellen des Immunsystems. Med. Poliklinik der Universit�t W�rzburg, Dtsch. Zahn�rztl. Z., 46(8): 544-7, 1991

1025 Adverse immunological effects and autoimmunity induced by dental amalgam and alloy in mice. Hultmann: FASEB J, 8(14): 1183-90, 1994

1026 Hultman: Murine mercury-induced immune-complex disease: effect of cyclophosphamide treatment and importance of T-cells., Br. J. Exp. Pathol., 70(3): 227-36, 1989

1027 Hultman: Murine susceptibility to mercury. II. Autoantibody profiles and renal immune deposits in hybrid backcross and H-2d congenic mice. Clin. Immunol. Immunolpathol. 68(1): 9-20, 1993

1028 Enestrom, S., Hultman, P.: Does amalgam affect the immune system? A controversial issue.; Int. Arch. Allergy Immunol., 106(3): 180-203, 1995

1029 Warfvinge, G., Larsson, A.: Contact stomatitis to mercury associated with spontaneous mononuclear cell infiltrates in brown Norway (BN) rats with HgCl2-induced autoimmunity. J. Oral Pathol. Med. 23(10): 441-5, 1994

1030 Kosuda, L.L.; et al.: Mercury-induced renal autoimmunity in BNLEW. 1N chimeric rats., Cell. Immunol. 155(1): 77-94, 1994

1031 Sato, K., et al.: An Epidemiological study of mercury sensitization. Allergology International, 46:201-6, 1997

1032 Summers, A.O., Sugarman, L.I.; J. Bacteriol. 119, 242, 1974

1033 Katsunuma Exercise-induced anaphylaxis: improvement after removal of amalgam in dental caries., Ann. Allergy, 64(5): 472-5, 1990

1034 Caron, G.A., et al.: Lympho-cyte transformation induced by inorganic and organic mercury., International Archives of Allergy 37, 76 87

1035 Bolewska, J., et al.: Oral mucosal lesions related to silver amalgam restorations., Department of Oral Medicine and Oral Surgery, University Hospital, Copenhagen, DK, Oral-Surg. Oral-Med.Oral-Pathol., 70(1): 55-8, 1990

1036 Finne, K. et al.: Oral lichen planus and contact allergy to mercury. International Journal of Oral Surgery 11, 236-239

1037 Laine, J., et al.: Resolution of oral lichenoid lesions after replacement of amalgam restoration in patients allergic to mercury compounds. Br. J. Dermatol., 126(1). 10-5, 1992

1038 Stejskal, V.D.M., et al.: Mercury-specific lymphocytes: an indication of mercury allergy in man. J. Clin. Immunol., 16(1): 31-40, 1996

1039 Henriksson, E., et al.: Healing of lichenoid reactions following removal of amalgam. A clinical follow-up. J. Clin. Periodontol., 22(4): 287-94, 1995

1040 Smart, E.R., et al.: Resolution of lichen planus following removal of amalgam restorations in patients with proven allergy to mercury salts: a pilot study. Br. Dent. J., 178(3): 108-12, 1995

1041 Mobacken, H. et al.: Material. Cont. Derm., 10: 11-15, 1984

1042 Macleod, R.I. et al.: J. Dent. Res., Divisional Abstracts, page 738, Abstract # 410, 1993

1043 Schrallhammer-Benkler, K., et al.: Acta derm. Venerol (Stockh)71(4): 294-6, 1992

1044 Ahlrot-Westerlund, B.: Mercury in cerebrospinal fluid in multiple sclerosis. Swed. J. Biol. Med., 1:6, 1989

1045 Stejskal, V.D.M. et al.: J. of Clin. Immun. Vol 16, No. 1, pp. 31-40, 1996

1046 Siblerud, R.L.: A comparison of mental health of multiple sclerosis patients with silver/mercury dental fillings and those with fillings removed. Psychol. Rep., 70:3 Pt 2, 1139-51, 1992

1047 Ingalls, T.H.: Epidemiology, etiology, and prevention of multiple sclerosis. Hypothesis and fact. Am. J. Forensic Med. Pathol., 4:1, 55-61, 1983

1048 Siblerud, R.L., Kienholz, E.: Evidence that mercury from silver amalgam fillings may be an etiological factor in multiple sclerosis. Sci. Total Environ., 142(3): 191-205, 1994

1049 Craelius, W.: Comparative Epidemiology of multiple sclerosis and dental caries. J. Epidemiology and Community Health, 32, 155-165, 1978

1050 Huysmans, M.C. et al.: Fatigue behavior of direct post-and-core-restored premolars. J. Dent. Res., 71(5): 1145-50, 1992

1051 Huysmans, M.C., et al.: Finite element analysts of quasistatic and fatigue failure of post and cores [published erratum appears in J.Dent. Res., 21(3):190] J. Dent., 21(1): 57-64, 1993

1052 Siblerud, R.L.: The relationship between mercury from dental amalgam and the cardiovascular system. Sci. Total Environ., 99(1-2): 23-35, 1990

1053 Ronnback, L., Hansson, E.: Chronic encephalopaties induced by mercury or lead: aspects of underlying cellular and molecular mechanisms. Br. J. Ind. Med., 49: 233-240, 1992

1054 McNerney, R.T., McNerney J.J.: Mercury contamination in the dental office. A review. NYS Dental J., pp 457-458, 1979

1055 Sandborgh Englund, G., et al.: DMSA administration to patients with alleged mercury poisoning from dental amalgams: a placebo-controlled study. J. Dent. Res., 73(3): 620-8, 1994

1056 Weaver, T., et al.: An amalgam tattoo causing local and systemic disease? Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol, 63(1): 137-40, 1987

1057 Siblerud, R.L., et al.: Psychometric evidence that mercury from silver amalgam fillings may be an etiological factor in depression, excessive anger and anxiety. Psychol. Rep., 74(1): 67-80, 1994

1058 Michel, E., et al.: An epidemiologic study of the relation between symptoms of fatigue, dental amalgam and other factors. Department of occupational medicine, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden, Sew-Dent-J., 13(1-2): 33-8, 1989

1059 Florentine, M.J., Sanfilippo, D.J., II. Elemental mercury poisoning clinical pharmacy. 10: 213-21, 1991

1060 Benton, D., et al.: The impact of selenium supplementation on mood. Biological Psychiatry, 9(11): 1092-1098, 1991

1061 Bloch, P., Shapiro I.M.: Summary of the international conference on mercury hazards in dental practice. JADA, 104: 489-90, 1982

1062 Silverstein: Modulation of heart muscle mitochondrial malate dehydrogenase activity. I. Activation and inhibition by p-mercuribenzoate. Biochemistry, 9(2): 274-82, 1970

1063 Differential effects of mercurial reagents on membrane thiols and on the permeability of the heart mitochondrion. Biochemistry, 9(4): 714-24, 1970

1064 Manoukian, S.V., Wenger, N.K.: Mercury in the heart. Am. J. Cardiol., 67(4): 317-8, 1991

1065 Shimojo, N., Arai, Y.: Effects of exercise training on the distribution of metallic mercury in mice. Hum Exp Toxicol., 13(8): 524-528, 1994

1066 Magos, L., et al.: The effects of dose of elemental mercury and first-pass circulation time on exhalation and organ distribution of inorganic mercury in rats. Biochem Biophys Acta. 25; 991(1):85-9, 1989

1067 Lindh, U., et al.: New Aspects of Murine Coxsackie B3 Myocarditis - Focus on Heavy Metals. Ilback, NG; Eur Heart J., 16(Suppl 0):20-4, 1995

1068 Omura, Y., Shimotsnura, Y., Fukuoka, A., Fukuoka, H., Nomoto, T.: Significant mercury deposits in internal organs following the removal of dental amalgam, and development of pre-cancer on the gingiva and the sides of the tongue and their represented organs as a result of inadvertent exposure to strong curing light (used to solidify synthetic dental filling material) and effective treatment: A clinical case report, along with organ representation areas for each tooth. Acupunct Electrother Res., 21(2):133-60, 1996

1069 Foster, H.D.: Landscapes of Longevity: The Calcium-Selenium Mercury connection in cancer and heart disease. Med Hypotheses, 48(4): 355-60, 1997

1070 Chavez, E. and Holguin, J.A.: Mitochondrial calcium release as induced by Hg2+. J. Biol. Chem., 263(8):3582-3587, 1988

1071 Chen, C.W. and Preston, R.L.: Effect of mercury on taurine transport by the red blood cells of the murine polychate, Glycera dibranciata. Bull Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 39(2): 202-208, 1987

1072 Mehra, M. and Kanwar, K.C.: Clearance of parenterally administered 203 Hg from the mouse tissues. J. Environ. Pathol. Toxicol. Oncol., 5(4-5): 127-30, 1984

1073 Brake, J., et al.: Mercury induced cardiovascular abnormalities in the chicken. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 6(2-3): 269-77, 1977

1074 Mechanisms in cardiovascular regulation following chronic exposure of male rats to inorganic mercury. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol., 69(3):442-50, 1983

1075 Klein, C.L., et al.: Increased adhesion and activation of polymorphonuclear neutropohil granulocytes to endothelial cells under heavy metal exposure in vitro. Pathobiology, 62(2): 90-98, 1994

1076 Ringstad, I. & Fonnebo, V.: The tromso heart study: serum in a low-risk population for cardiovascular disease and cancer and matched controls. Ann. Clin. Res., 19:351-54, 1987

1077 Wojciechowski, J. and Kowalski, W.: Cardiac and aortic lesions in chronic experimental poisoning with mercury vapors. Pol. Med. Sci. Hist. Bull., 15(2): 255-60, 1996

1078 Schottel, J., et al.: Nature, 251, 335, 1974

1079 Marcusson, J.A.: Psychological and somatic subjective symptoms as a result of dermatological patch testing with metallic mercury and phenyl mercuric acetate. Toxicol. Lett., 84(2): 113-22, 1996

1080 Lamperti, A. and Printz, R.: Localization, accumulation and toxic effects of mercuric chloride on the reproductive axis of the female hamster. 11; 180-86, 1974

1081 Lamperti, A. and Niewenhuis, T.: The effects of mercury on the structure and function of the hypothalamo-pituitary axis in the hamster. Cell. Tissue Res., 170; 315-324, 1976

1082 Mikhailova, L., et al.: The influence of occupational factors on diseases of the female reproductive organs. Pediatr. Akush. Ginecol., 33; 56-58, 1971

1083 Panova, Z. and Dimitrov, G.: Ovarian function in women with occupational exposure to metallic mercury. Akush. Ginekol., 13; 29-34, 1974

1084 Goncharuk, G.: Problems relating to the occupational hygiene for women employed in mercury production. Gig. Tr. Prof. Zabol., 5; 17-20, 1977

1085 Barlow, S. and Sullivan, F.: ``Mercury and its compounds (inorganic)'', in Barlow, S. and Sullivan, F. Editors, Reproductive hazards of industrial chemicals: an evaluation of animal and human data, New York and London: Academic Press

1086 DeRosis, F. et al.: Female reproductive health in two lamp factories: effects of exposure to inorganic mercury vapor and stress factors. Br. J. Ind. Med., 42; 488-494, 1985

1087 Sikorski, R. et al.: Women in dental surgeries: Reproductive hazards in occupational exposure to metallic mercury. Int. Arch. Occup. Environ. Health, 59; 551-7, 1987

1088 Iwasaki, A. and Gagnon, C.: Formation of reactive oxygen species in spermatozoa of infertile patients. Fertil Steril, 57(2): 409-16, 1992

1089 Aitken, R. et al.: Use of xanthine oxidase free radical generating system to investigate the cytotoxic effects of reactive oxygen species on human spermatozoa. J. Reprod. Fertil., 97(2): 441-50, 1993

1090 Webb, J.: Enzyme and metabolic inhibitor, Volume 4, Academic Press, 727-1070, 1966

1091 Hirota, Y. et al.: Inhibitory effect of methyl mercury on the activity of glutathione peroxidase. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol., 53; 174-6, 1980

1092 Holmstrup, P.: Oral mucosa and skin reaction related to amalgam. Adv. Dent. Res., 6:120-4, 1992

1093 Bradberry, S.M., et al.: Elemental mercury-induced skin granuloma: a case report and review of the literature. J. Toxicol. Clin. Toxicol., 34(2): 209-16, 1996

1094 Hamdy, M.K. and Noyes, O.R.: Formation of methyl mercury by bacteria. Applied Microbiology, Vol 30, No. 3, 424-432, 1975

1095 Langworth, S., et al.: Minor effects of low exposure to inorganic mercury on the human immune system. Sacnd. J. Work. Environ. Health, 19(6): 405-13, 1993

1096 Sasaki, G., et al.: Three cases of linear lichen planus caused by dental metal compounds. Dermatol., 23:12 890-2, 1996

1097 Bass, M.H.: Idiosyncrasy to metallic mercury, with special reference to amalgam fillings in the teeth. J. Pediat., 23: 215-8, 1943

1098 Cooper, R.L., et al.: Effects of metal cations on pitiuary hormone secretion in vitro. J. Biochem. Toxicol., 2: 241-9, 1987

1099 Gerhard, I. & Runnebaum, B.: Fertility disorders may result from heavy metal and pesticide contamination which limits effectiveness of hormone therapy. Zentralblatt f�r Gyn�kologie, 14: 593-602, 1992

1100 Summers, A.O.and Lewis, E.: J. Bacterial., 113, 1070, 1973

1101 Bakir, F. et al.: Clinical and epidemiological aspects of methyl mercury poisoning. Postgrad. Med. J., 56(651):1-10, 1980

1102 Murai, Y., Shiraishi, S., Yama****a, Y., Ohnishi, A., Arimura, K.: Neurophysiological effects of methyl mercury on the nervous system. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. Suppl., 36: 682-7, 1982

1103 Brunker, R.L. and Bott, T.L.: Reduction of mercury to the elemental state by a yeast. Appl. Microbiology, Vol. 27, No. 5, 870-3, 1974

1104 Martinez Vazquez, C. et al.: Evoked potentials and psychometric tests in the diagnosis of subclinical neurological damage in a group of workers exposed to low concentrations of mercury vapor (see comments). An. Med. Interna., 13(5): 211-6, 1996

1105 Pan Hou, H.S. and Imura, N.: Involvement of mercury Methylation in microbial mercury detoxification. Arch. Microbiol., 131: 176-177, 1982

1106 Bisogni, J.J. and Lawrence, A.W.: Kinetics of mercury Methylation in aerobic and anaerobic aquatic environments. J. Water Pollut. Control. Fed., 47: 135-152, 1975

1107 Hua, M.S. et al.: Chronic elemental mercury intoxication: Neuropsychological follow-up case study. Brain Inj., 10(5): 377-84, 1996

1108 Snapp, K. et al.: Contribution of dental amalgam to blood mercury levels. J. Dent. Res., Special Issue March 1986, Abstract fl. 276, 65; 311

1109 Nilsson, B. and Nilsson, B.: Mercury in blood and urine in dental personnel. Swed. Dent. J., 2: 280, 1987

1110 Gowdy, J.M., and Demers, F.X.: Whole blood mercury levels in mental hospital patients. Am. J. Psychiat., 135: 115, 1978

1111 Richter-Snapp, K. et al.: The contribution of dental amalgam to mercury in blood. J. Dent. Res., 68: 314, Abstract 1059, 1989 (Dows Inst. For Dent. Res., University of Iowa)

1112 Magos, L.: Mercury-blood interaction and mercury uptake by the brain after vapor exposure. Environ. Res., 1: 323-37, 1967

1113 American Dental Assoc. Workshop: Biocompatibility of metals in dentistry (NIDR). A recommended standard for occupational exposure to inorganic mercury. NTIS No. PB- 222 223, 1973

1114 Grandjean, P., et al.: Neurotoxicol. Teratol., 19(6): 417-28, 1997

1115 Heintze, U. et al.: Methylation of mercury from dental amalgam and mercuric chloride by oral streptococci. Scand. J. Dent. Res., 91:2, pp 150-52, 1983

1116 Rowland, A.S., et al.: The effect of occupational exposure to mercury vapor on the fertility of female dental assistants. Occup. Environ. Med., 51(1): 28-34, 1994

1117 Mandel, I: JADA Vol. 122, 1991

1118 Gordon, H.P. and Cordon, L.D.: Reduction in mercury vapour levels in Seattle dental offices. J. Dent. Res., Abstract 1092 57A:347, 1981

1119 Akesson, et al.: Archives of environmental health, v62, n2, p102(8), 1991

1120 Cross, J.D., et al.: Letter, Lancet, 2: 8084 pp312-13, 1978

1121 Danielsson, B.R., et al.: Behavioral effects of prenatal metallic mercury exposure in rats. Neurotoxicol. Teratol., 15(6): 391-396, 1993

1122 Nylander: Mercury in pituitary glands of dentists. Lancet, 1(8478): 442, 1986

1123 Akesson, I., et al.: Neuropathy in female dental personnel exposed to high frequency vibrations. Occup. Environ. Med., 52(2): 116-23, 1995

1124 Skare: Mercury exposure of different origins among dentists and dental nurses. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 16(5): 340-7, 1990

1125 Wood, R.W., et al.: Hand tremor induced by industrial exposure to inorganic mercury. Arch. Environ. Health, 26: 249-52, 1973

1126 Mantyla, D.G. and Wright, O.D.: Mercury toxicity in the dental office: a neglected problem. JADA, 92: 1189-94, 1976

1127 Fredriksson, A. et al.: Prenatal Coexposure to metallic mercury vapour and methyl mercury produce interactive behavioral changes in adult rats. Neurotoxicol. Teratol., 18(2): 129-34, 1996

1128 Oskarsson, A., et al.: Exposure to toxic elements via breast milk. Analyst, 120(3): 765-70, 1995

1129 Shapiro, I.M., et al.: Neurophysiological and neuropsychological function in mercury-exposed dentists. Lancet, 8282: 1147-50, 1982

1130 Ship, I.I. and Shapiro, I.M.: Mercury poisoning in dental practice. Compendium Continuing Education. 4: 107-110, 1983

1131 Miller, J.M., et al.: Subclinical psychomotor and neuromuscular changes in workers exposed to inorganic mercury. A. Indus. Hyg. Assoc. J., 36: 725-33, 1975

1132 Lyer, K., et al.: Mercury poisoning in a dentist. Arch. Neurol., 33:788-90, 1976

1133 Merfield, D.P., et al.: Mercury intoxication in a dental surgery following unreported spillage. Bril. Dent. J., 141: 179-86, 1976

1134 Barber, T.E.: Inorganic mercury intoxication reminiscent of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J. Occupat. Med., 20: 667-9, 1978

1135 Smith, Jr. D.L.: Mental effects of mercury poisoning. South Med. J., 71: 904-5, 1978

1136 Langolf, G.D., et al.: Evaluation of workers exposed to elemental mercury using quantitative tests of tremor and neuromuscular functions. Am. Ind. Hyg. Assoc., 39(12): 976-84, 1978

1137 Zweben, L.L.: Mercury poisoning: A case history. J. New Jersey Dent. Assoc., 10-1, 1978

1138 Albers, J.W. et al.: Asymptomatic sensorimotor polyneuropathy in workers exposed to elemental mercury. Neurology, 32: 1168-74, 1982

1139 Adams, C.R., et al.: Mercury intoxication simulating amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J. Amer. Med. Assoc., 250:642-3, 1983

1140 Cook, T.A. and Yates, P.O.: Fatal mercury intoxication in dental surgery assistant. Br. Dent. J., 127: 553-5, 1969

1141 Ritchie, K.A. et al.: Psychomotor testing of dentists with chronic low-level mercury exposure. J. Dent. Res., 74(S1): 420, A-160

1142 Schumann, K.: The toxicological estimation of the heavy metal content (Cd, Hg, Pb) in food for infants and small children. Z. Ern�hrungswiss., 29(1): 54-73, 1990

1143 Vimy et al.: Maternal-fetal distribution of mercury released from dental amalgam fillings. Am. J. Physiol., 258 R939-R945, 1990

1144 Vimy et al.: Mercury from maternal ``silver'' tooth fillings in sheep and human breast milk. Biological Trace Element Research, V56, pp143, 1997

1145 Warfinge, K., et al.: Development of prenatal exposure to mercury vapor. Neurotoxicology, 15(4), 1994

1146 Cutright, D.E., et al.: Systemic mercury levels caused by inhaling mist during high-speed amalgam grinding. J. Oral Med., 28, 100, 1973

1147 EPA Mercury Health Effects update. Health Issue Assessment. EOA-600/8-84f. USEPA, 1984

1148 Goyer, R.A.: Toxic effects of metals. Cassarett and Doull's toxicology - The basic science of poisons, ed3, New York, MacMillan, Publ. Co, pp582-609, 1986

1149 Kuhnert, P. et al.: Comparison of mercury levels in maternal blood fetal chord and placental tissue. Am. J. Obstet and Gynecol., 139: 209-12, 1981

1150 Kuntz, W.D.: Maternal and chord blood mercury background levels; Longitudinal surveillance. Am. J. Obstet and Gynecol., 143: 440-443, 1982

1151 Brodsky, J.B.: Occupational exposure to mercury in dentistry and pregnancy outcome. JADA 111(11): 779-80, 1985

1152 Yoshida, M., et al.: Milk transfer and tissue uptake of mercury in suckling offspring after exposure of lactating maternal guinea pigs to inorganic or methyl mercury. Arch. Toxicol., 68(3): 174-8, 1994

1153 Ellender, G., et al.: Toxic effects of dental amalgam implants. Optical, histological and histochemical observations. Aust. Dent. J., 23:5 pp395-99, 1978

1154 Fisher, D., et al.: A 4 year follow-up study of alveolar bone height influenced by 2 dissimilar class 2 amalgam restorations.

1155 Freden, H., et al.: Mercury content in gingival tissues adjacent to amalgam fillings. Odont. Rev., 25: 207-210, 1974

1156 Koivumaa, K.K. and Makila, E.: The effect of galvanism on accumulation of bacterial plaque invivo. Suom Hammaslaak Toim., 66: 367-371, 1970

1157 Lindquist & Mornstad: Effects of removing amalgam fillings from patients with diseases affecting the immune system. Medical Science Research., 24, 1996

1158 Bratel, J., et al.: Effect of replacement of dental amalgam on oral lichenoid reactions. J. Dent., 24(1-2): 41-45, 1996

1159 Ibbotson, S.H., et al.: The relevance and effect of amalgam replacement in subjects with oral lichenoid reactions. Br. J. Dermatol., 134(3): 420-3, 1996

1160 James, J., et al.: Oral lichenoid reactions related to mercury sensitivity. Br. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg., 25(6): 474-480, 1987

1161 Jameson, M.W. et al.: Mucosal reactions to amalgam restorations. J. Oral Rehabil., 17(4): 293-301, 1990

1162 Koch, P. and Bahmer, F.A.: Oral lichenoid lesions, Hg hypersensitivity and combined hypersensitivity to mercury and other metals. Contact Dermatitis, 33(5): 323-328, 1995

1163 Lind, P.O., et al.: Electrogalvanically-induced contact allergy of the oral mucosa. Report of a case. Int. J. Oral Surg., 13(4):339-345, 1984

1164 Lind, P.O., et al.: Amalgam-related oral lichenoid reaction. Scand. J. Dent. Res., 94(5): 448-451, 1986

1165 Pang, B.K. and Freeman, S.: Oral lichenoid lesions caused by allergy to mercury in amalgam fillings. Contact Dermatitis, 33(6): 423-427, 1995

1166 Skoglund, A. and Egelrud, T.: Hypersensitivity reactions to dental materials in patients with lichenoid oral mucosal lesions and in patients with burning mouth syndrome. Scand. J. Dent. Res., 99(4): 320-8, 1991

1167 Fox, J.G. and Jones, J.M.: Occupational stress in dental practice. B.D.J., 123:10 pp 465-473, 1967

1168 Iyer, K., et al.: Mercury poisoning in a dentist. Arch. Neurol., 33: pp788-90, 1976

1169 Ship, I.I. and Shapiro, I.M.: Preventing mercury poisoning in dental practice. The J. of the Houston District Dental Society, pp18-20, 1983

1170 Simpson, R., et al.: Suicide statistics of dentists in Iowa 1968-1980. JADA 107, 441-3, 1983

1171 Fox, C.H., et al.: Periodontal disease among New England elders. Journal of Periodontology, Vol 65, No. 7, pg. 676-684, 1994

1172 Mattila, K.J. et al.: Association between dental health and acute myocardial infarction. British Medical J., Vol. 298, pg 779-782, 1989

1173 DeStefano, F.D., et al.: Dental disease and risk of coronary heart disease and mortality. Br. Med. J., Vol. 306, 688-691, 1993

1174 Joshipura, K.J. et al.: Poor oral health and coronary heart disease. Journal of dental Research, Vol. 75, No. 9, 1631-1636, 1996

1175 Beck, J.D.: Periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease. Presented at the symposium: The relation of periodontal infection to systemic diseases. Bufallo N.Y., May 20, 1995

1176 Offenbacher, S., et al.: Periodontal infection as a possible risk factor for preterm low birth weight. J. Periodontology, 1996

1177 Pendergrass and Haley: Mercury and its effects on environment and biology in metal ions in biological systems. V 34, 461-478, 1997, Marcel Dekker, Inc. NY, NY

1178 Brun, R.: Epidemiology of contact dermatitis in Geneva. Contact dermatitis, 1: 214-7, 1975

1179 Djerassi, E. and Berova, N.: The possibilities of allergic reactions from silver amalgam restorations. Int. Dent. J., 19:4, 481-88, 1969

1180 Miller, E.G., et al.: Prevalence of mercury hypersensitivity in dental students. J. Dent. Res., 64:338 Special issue abstracts # 1472, 1985

1181 Nebenfuher, L., et al.: Mercury allergy in Budapest. Contact Dermatitis, 10(2): 121-122, 1983

1182 Rudner, et al.: Epidemiology of contact dermatitis in North America. Arch. Derm., 108(4): 537-40, 1973, 1996

1183 White, R. and Brandt, R.: Development of mercury hypersensitivity among dental students. JADA, 92: 1204-1207, 1976

1184 Ahlbom, A. et al.: Dentists, Nurses and Brain Tumors: 4th International Symposium Epidemiology Occupational Health, Como, Italy, 10-12 September 1985 (Abstracts)

1185 Arrhenius, E.: Methyl mercury in fish - a toxicologic-epidemiologic evaluation. Nord Hygien. Tidskr., suppl 4, pp166, 1971

1186 Kuntz, W.D., et al.: Maternal and chord blood background mercury levels: A longitudinal surveillance. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol., pp440-443, 1982

1187 Mansour, M., et al.: Maternal-fetal transfer of organic mercury via placenta and milk. Env. Res., 6: pp 479-484, 1973

1188 Nixon, G.S., et al.: Pregnancy outcome in female dentists. B.D.J. 146, pp 39-42, 1979

Pitkin, R.M. et al.: Mercury in human maternal and cord blood, placenta and milk. Proceedings of the society for experimental biology and medicine, 151 pp565-567,

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These things should definitely be looked at in an unbiased way. Sometimes the research seems to start out with a desired outcome in mind, and guess what, the research confirms it.

I am not sure what to make of this. Not clear to me why mercury is such a big component of amalgams, or why dentists think it is not a problem. Guess I should read more, but not having dental insurance and dreading dental trauma, replacing amalgams is not on my list of things to do (my list is already too long).

My mercury urine test came back elevated. I was told that some people with this result stopped eating fish for six months and knocked down the level a lot. But I also have elevated lead levels. No lead in fish or amalgams? Probably everyone who grew up in the era of lead based paints and leaded gas has now got this problem. We also have many dubious man-made chemicals building up in our poor bodies. In my opinion, anything that causes the immune system to function at a lower level, as in foreign disturbances that are introduced, could cause health problems. But how much of that stuff is significant, and how do those things work together at lower than toxic levels? That is the big question.

[ 14. July 2006, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: lou ]

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this statement no longer accurate?

"In February, 1994 Sweden announced a total ban on the use of mercury fillings in young adults. Denmark, Germany and Austria followed suit. In Switzerland and Japan, the dental schools no longer teach amalgam use as the primary source of dental care."

Were all these bans repealed?

Even if I buy into some pro-mercury arguments, that fact that entire countries have banned and/or restricted use of mercury in fillings has to make you ask why.....

Here is a link to a site discussing the european ban of mercury, and the fact that the ADA is working on a mercury replacement filling, with the comment "why would they want to replace it if its so safe?"

http://tinyurl.com/lgrqv
(used tinyurl!)

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Terry...I was not implying that the article was not real, only that the real health articles form yesterday were not what you posted.

Here are some requested links...these do NOT address lead.

In addition, LOW levels of Mercury, or most any other metal, are addressed...not HIGH levels, which one could only get from eating fish with high Mercury levels every day, or ingesting other sources (atmosphere, plants (from pollution)etc.). High levels of any metal ARE dangerous, but most of us do not have this issue.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/05/030516082905.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/02/060224085734.htm

This is the one that addresses Farmed vs Wild Salmon...very important!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/12/051226100222.htm

The next one addresses dental amalgams in children...safe.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/04/060418175827.htm

Sure many studies exist...but are they reputable, replicable, peer reviewed? Where are they published? How old are they?

There is a lot of bogus studies out there for ANY subject. Be careful and safe!

Peace, Love and Welness,
JRW

Alias24
Member # 9365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alias24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JRW just posted:
"...not HIGH levels, which one could only get from eating fish with high Mercury levels every day, or ingesting other sources (atmosphere, plants (from pollution)etc.). High levels of any metal ARE dangerous, but most of us do not have this issue."

In Feb. 2005 I did an oral DMPS challenge and my mercury level was double or more than double the maximum amount. In April I had 5 silver amalgams removed that were 19+ years old. Around Sept. 2005 I did a chelation DMPS challenge and my mercury levels were barely above maximum. From April to Sept. I did several things to pull out the mercury.

Previous to Feb. 2005 I ate fish maybe two or three times a month (not everyday). I called our water dept. and found out that mercury basically didn't even register in my water source.

I have yet to find someone who can explain to me where my high mercury levels came from other than for the silver (mercury) amalgams?

The dentist who removed my silver amalgams said "By law I have to mix the amalgam in an air tight box and I can't wash the silver amalgams down the drain because it is not safe but I can put it in your mouth".

Posts: 59 | From Indiana | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

JRW,
Thanks very much for your references. From what I can tell, there isn't much doubt that mercury is dangerous but there is much debate as to how much mercury etc.. but that is not the issue regarding the article that I posted.

The issue in the article relates to whether amalgams cause bacteria to become resistant to antibiotics.

From what I've found so far, here are my thoughts on the issue of amalgams causing resistance to abx.

There doesn't seem to be any question that mercury causes *some* types of bacteria to become antibiotic resistant. You could look at the University of Georgia info that I posted about the environmental mercury or some of the other studies which all seem to accept that mercury causes some types of bacteria to become resistant to abx.

In my mind, the questions are
1. does this occur in humans?
2. which bacteria becomes resistant to abx (does Bb)?
3. how much mercury does it take?

One study shows that the presence of mercury restorations in children's teeth has little effect on the prevalence of mercury or antibiotic-resistant oral bacteria. The study that was done on monkeys applies to intestinal bacteria in primates. I've found no studies on adult humans and intestinal bacteria or any bacteria so far.

From what I can glean in reading some of the studies, some types of bacteria will develop resistance and some won't. I doubt that there are any studies specific to Bb on the subject. There may be some significance in the fact that another spirochete (syphilis) used to be treated with mercury but at this point, I don't know what it might mean in terms of abx resistance in Bb.

Based on my current level of knowledge, I have not come to any final conclusions as to the likelihood that Bb becomes resistant to abx due to amalgams. I do think that amalgams could very well play a part in the inability of some lyme patients to clear the infection *if* mercury causes Bb or some other infection that is synergistic with Bb to become abx resistant. Also, there is the possibility that mercury could be depressing the immune system although I have seen some studies that refute that claim.

I can't believe that there is so little research into this angle (amalgams causing abx resistance in bacteria) but I guess it shouldn't be that surprising considering the political conflicts that seem to exist in this area. As we've already seen, supression of information in the medical area is not that unusual. OTOH - maybe I've missed some of the research in my searches. If I find anything, I'll be sure to post it.

Terry

TerryK
Member # 8552

Thanks for the link Johnnyb. Interesting.
Terry

DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
speaking from 1st hand experience, 15 years ago i had all my amalgam fillings replaced...one by one.
Because i had heard that perhaps they were poisoning me.

One day, I was in the dentist chair, waiting for the last filling to be taken out, when i decided that I'd already spent a load of $ on this exercise, so i asked the dentist what this last one would cost...when he told me, i decided to risk it and told him to replace the old amalgam with a new amalgam...GUESS WHAT?

one half hour later, the time it took me to get back to my desk at my office, I had a headache the likes of which i had never had, i was flush with sweat, and i was nauseous to the point of vomiting...i rushed back to the dentist and had him take the new amalgam out and replace it with gold...a half hour later, i was back to normal

NO JOKE! that's when i knew for sure there was something to the theory that amalgams are not good for you....

Dan P

Posts: 277 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

DanP...I am glad you no longer hurt but your headache could have come from the dentist missing some decay or bacteria, which would, and I can attest to this first hand, produce a very nasty headache indeed if covered over by another filling (pressure from multiplying bacteria)...bad dentist, refilled a cavity poorly. If you were not getting headaches in the first place with the amalgams, why should you start getting them? It makes no sense. I have had fillings replaced with absolutely no problems.

I have also had my Mercury levels checked...too low to detect. I do NOT eat Swordfish, Shark, Mackerel, or certain species of Tuna. I do NOT eat fish caught in lakes...high levels of Mercury from Coal Fired plants in the midwest.

No Mercury in the NYC water supply either.

Both of my Grandmothers and one Grandfather lived VERY healthy lives into their 90's. All had Amalgams in their mouths. Hell, m Grandfather had a Silver mine in there. He died...at 93.

I have had three friends try the "removing the Amalgam" route, and yes, they are all Chronic Lymies... They are NO BETTER...just poorer, and yes, GOLD is the best filling but it is overpriced.

Composites are not very strong and they do not last long...requiring more drilling to remove and replace...thus leading to less tooth structure.

Oh, when the Amalgam hardens it becomes much less prone to "gass Of" then when it is being prepared for a filling. This is the reason the Dentists need to be careful. Too much of amalgam in the water/sewer system and it could effect the food chain...a very different scenario than stable fillings in one's mouth.

By the way, DocDave (Chroniclymie) is a dentist...ask him what he thinks.

There are MILLIONS of people with Silver Amalgam fillings who have absolutely no health issues.

Could some people react to the amalgams? Of course, there are no absolutes in science.

As for the bacteria/Mercury issue...more SOUND studies are needed.

The problem is Borrelia's ability to evade and manipulate the immune system, as well as individual host cells.

We are dealing with a VERY COMPLEX and "INTELLIGENT" bacteria. Borrelia makes the Syphilis bacteria, also a Spiro., look like an elementary school kid in comparison.

Science needs to find out WHY some of us become Chronic, and why others DO get "cured" from an initial dose of ABX (my Sister did). Lucky her...

That said, if one feels they MUST do something...do it!

Peace, Love and Wellness,
JRW

johnnyb
Member # 7645

I still wonder why entire countries would ban mercury in fillings if something wasn't up. Are we a much "smarter" country than all of them?

Better safe than sorry.

You make some points, but since there are studies on both sides, why take the chance?

I, for one, am not EVER going to put mercury in my son's mouth. But that's just me.

To each his own.

- JB

lemonade
Member # 9413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr B wrote, a "small but significant" number of chronic lyme patients may not be significantly helped by their antibiotics and may have heavy metals.

My mercury was off the chart and lead was also very high.

I have had my fillings out and hope to start chelating soon.

There's lots of information on lymenet on this subject if you do a search.

There seems to be a corrolation between lyme and heavy metals.

Obviously like everything else about lyme, not everyone is affected the same way but I'm hopeful that this will help me. We're all searching for a way to feel better and can't leave a stone unturned!

Posts: 82 | From east hampton ny | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This too, Terry:

http://www.courant.com/news/health/ats-ap_health10jul11,0,7782846.story?coll=hc-utility-news-health

As if Hg wasn't a HUGE problem by itself...we never thought we'd have a pathogen that liked zinc and a LOT of dental products also contain zinc.

Zinc is absolutely needed by our immune system. It becomes "displaced" it appears. It's toxic in high doses.

Calprotectin, in WBCs, bind zinc...and our WBCs (neutrophils are the most abundant) are produced (old out, new formed) every 3-4 weeks.

Does that timing sound familiar?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobdavis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobdavis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can lower your metal levels by taking chlorella or trying the detox foot pads. I have done a couple of rounds of the foot pads I bought on ebay. I think the seller is cheapdetoxpads4sale.

This might be a link to the seller.
http://stores.ebay.com/HealthMarvels-Detox-Pads

I do not know nor am I related to the seller of these foot pads.

Posts: 499 | From Western NY | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it too late for those that already have resistant bacteria? Since I had 6 amalgam fillings when I first got lyme in 1990, the Bb in my body are already resistant to mercury and abx, and their offspring would inherit the mutated gene creating resistance that their parent developed.

So taking amalgams out now could not change the antibiotic-resistance that the Bb in my body already have.

The information about amalgams is great to keep us from putting them in our children, but how could taking out the old ones we lymies already had change the fact that the Bb in our bodies have become mercury & abx-resistant?

Tempe

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have heard a lot over the last few years. But never heard of Borrelia resistant mercury. Borrelia loves mercury; it lives right there with the mercury because it does not run the risk of being wiped out by oxygenated blood. So do most related and unrelated microorganisms that have invaded our body because of the unhealthy, mercury, chemical and other heavy mettal contaminated terrain.

Once you start clearing the heavy metals out, life comes back into the world of cells, and you have a great chance of wiping out the invasion of microorganisms. It is not the other way around, definitely. Metals out, all the while you can work and be much more successful at reducing Lyme and all the other critters that ruin our life in those numbers.

I have seen it happen not only to myself, to my husband, but to many other people that were suffering badly at one time.

On the other hand, as I have always said, we all have a choice: if you don't believe that mercury in the body is a killer to a chronically ill person, do not stress yourself and hang on to it. But do not call the thousands of scientists that have done research over many years incompetents.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GiGi:
[QB] Have heard a lot over the last few years. But never heard of Borrelia resistant mercury.

I was talking about Mercury-resistant borrelia bacteria, not the reverse. One of the articles in this thread talked about bacteria first becoming resistant to mercury & that made them resistant to bacteria.

So once the bacteria have mutated to become resistant to mercury & therefore antibiotics, how can taking out amalgams change what has already occurred?

I'm just trying to understand.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonade
Member # 9413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucy and Julie,
Well this is interesting. My daughter started with symptoms a couple of months ago at age 10! Terrible anxiety,tired and what she called hot and cold.

Growing up she had what we thought was growing pains. Years ago when I had neck pain (that turned out to be lyme) I thought it was how I slept!

It's really easy to brush off these symptoms.

I think my daughter also may have gotten it from me since I was positive for lyme many years ago but didn't get bad until a year ago.(no one ever said I could pass it on to her and I had no idea!)

I've heard that alot of kids get anxiety and depression so I am really worried.

She's at the beginning of treatment and I know this can be a long haul.

Posts: 82 | From east hampton ny | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Tempe wrote:
So once the bacteria have mutated to become resistant to mercury & therefore antibiotics, how can taking out amalgams change what has already occurred?

Some thoughts about why this might happen. If the changes that occurred in the bacteria are an adaptation to the environment and not a mutation, then future generations of the bacteria will not be born with the resistance to abx. For example, if you go out in the sun and get a tan, the next time you go out in the sun you are less likely to get burned because you have a tan. That does not mean that your children will be born with a tan or that they will be less likely to get a sun burn because it is an environmental adaptation and not a genetic adaptation.

Another possibility is that it is a genetic adaptation but because bacteria evolve so much faster than humans (and Borellia seems particularly adept at evolving and adapting)it takes a much shorter time for the bacteria to evolve and lose it's resistance to abx.

I'm just guessing about these possibilities. There may be a different reason all together but I do think I recall reading something that stated that once the mercury is removed, the bacteria lose their resistance.

Remember that we don't know (and I don't think anyone knows) for sure whether Bb is mercury and/or antibiotic resistant in the presence of amalgams. It seems that Dr. K feels pretty certain that they are and he could be and probably is correct but there are no studies that prove it.

Mercury was used as a treatment for syphilis at one time and in looking around briefly, it looks like syphilis can become resistant to mercury and many other antibiotics. As we all know, syphilis is a similar bacteria (albiet much simpler) to Borellia. If it is true that once mercury resistant then antibiotic resistance follows, it seems very possible that Bb could become resistant to abx in the presence of mercury.

I am not an authority on bacteria and am just guessing. Maybe someone else with a better understanding will come along with an explanation.
Terry

liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This story is from 1993.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonade
Member # 9413

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been a patient of his too. If anyone knows of a LLMD on Long Island or NYC please let me know. This is very sad.
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyb:
Is this statement no longer accurate?

"In February, 1994 Sweden announced a total ban on the use of mercury fillings in young adults. Denmark, Germany and Austria followed suit. In Switzerland and Japan, the dental schools no longer teach amalgam use as the primary source of dental care."

Were all these bans repealed?

Even if I buy into some pro-mercury arguments, that fact that entire countries have banned and/or restricted use of mercury in fillings has to make you ask why.....

Here is a link to a site discussing the european ban of mercury, and the fact that the ADA is working on a mercury replacement filling, with the comment "why would they want to replace it if its so safe?"

I may be able to shed some light on why there's a total ban on amalgam fillings in Denmark (as well as Sweden, Germany and Austria.)

I was born in Denmark and lived there my first 25 years.

In each of these countries, especially Denmark and Sweden, a huge fraction of the population works for the government.

Secondly, the government regulates, funds and controls a very large fraction of the industry.

It's not a free market to the extent it is in the US. It's much less capitalistic in a sense. Also companies are to a significant extent protected from competition from companies in other countries. Though much of this has changed with the advent of the EU.

In any case, the people who work for the government very much have the peoples concerns in mind. Whether these concerns are real concerns or hysterical concerns, they are nevertheless being attended to to a degree unheard of in the US.

When a local research institution finds that amalgam is dangerous and decides to report this upwards, there's not much questioning of the validity of the study, assuming the institution is viewed as an authority on the subject.

The government knows the public is concerned about amalgam, and now they have a study that shows there may be some truth to it and then they decide to act on it.

And it's easy for them to pass a ban on amalgam due to the vast industry control they have within the country.

Wrt the potential economic impact of the ban, well, it is much less important than the health of the citizens. This is one reason why Denmark has an astronimical trade deficit.

Besides, Denmark often follows the trend in Sweden, or vice versa. And then this sort of domino effect happens with other countries.

So personally, I'm not so impressed with the fact that amalgam is baned in Sweden et al.

Truthfully, I have no idea of how dangerous amalgam fillings really is. My gutt tells me it's not that serious, as long as the amalgam was mixed correctly and put in correctly.

However I do believe that not all dentists are equally skilled in the art of handling/mixing amalgam. I'm totally speculating now, but this may cause some peoples fillings to leach if the amalgam is improperly installed.

FWIW.

Michael

--------------------
I'm not an MD. The above is IMO and in my experience as well as from health related books.

I've had symptoms consistent with neurological Lyme disease since 1986. Was diagnosed with Lyme in 2004. Am feeling better now than ever before.

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement