LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question about Doxy and Herxing - Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about Doxy and Herxing - Help!
cutie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking 200 mg/d of Doxy. I am on week 6. I feel AWFUL and have for about the past week and 1/2. All my normal symptoms are amplified plus my legs, head and back are constantly aching.

I also have had an upset stomach and lots of nausea.

Is this a herx? I know its a low dose of doxy but we're starting out slow. If this is a herx how long do they last and is it normal for it not to start until about 4 weeks into treatment?

Thank you,
Cutie

--------------------
Cutie

Posts: 125 | From Atlanta | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cutie.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Doxy herxes can be ROUGH.

Stay outta the sun.

For the nausea, try taking the doxy in the MIDDLE of a good-sized meal.

Don't lie down after taking the doxy, even if you feel like crappola. Give it an hour or so. It can hurt your esophagus.

My first month of doxy was one long herx.

Subsequent ones will be easier, I hope.

Do lots of detox and rest, rest, rest.

Drink tons of lemon water.

Here's a hug!

[group hug] [kiss]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cutie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks...I was just wondering if this low amt. of doxy could do all this to me or if my symptoms were just getting worse regardless of the med!

Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy.

Cutie

--------------------
Cutie

Posts: 125 | From Atlanta | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many Lyme patients get flares (worsening) of their symptoms around the 28-day mark while on treatment, having to do with the growth phase of the spirochete.

Sounds like you are right on schedule.

I actually herxed my first night on Doxy (my first antibiotic for Lyme), which some people say is impossible, but I did. And, like you, I started out on a low dose and then went up to the more typical Lyme dose.

I, like you, was on Doxy in the summer, making the sun issues worse. So please be careful in the sun. I personally wore the clothing with the SPF built in (from SunPrecautions catalog/website) along with all the sunblock, etc., but still burned, especially my knuckles from sun exposure from driving. I had to wear gloves while out walking - looked like an idiot and I was hot all the time, but it helped.

Doxy helped me so much - I know it's hard to fathom that while feeling worse, but hang in there.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxy (400/day) was my first abx for Lyme, too -- and I herxed like the devil!!! I had NO IDEA it was possible to feel so awful, actually. My symptoms shot thru the roof, and I was one big ball of neurological weirdness and pain. I had to go off it at the 3 week mark when I started having small seizures. Once the herx was over, though, I felt a lot better than before starting it.

The GI issues could be a herx-reaction, they also are really common side effects for a lot of folks on abx in general.

I haven't done doxy again, though I will probably want to do another run with it at some point (preferably in the winter.) I'm on Bicillin and Ketek (also babs treatment) now, and had a mama of a herx from the Ketek at first, too --

All I can say is -- hang in there. Herxing is horrible, but it is SO worth it for a lot of us. I can't believe how much better I feel now!

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herxing is the price we pay, Cutie, on killing off the spirochetes in our bodies.

They can last forever or short term; we're all so different. My right arm herxed from day 1 of doxy for 1.5 years straight; then 1 day it disappeared earlier this year; go figure? [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement