LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone done the ION Profile test?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone done the ION Profile test?
travis
Member # 8405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for travis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told that the ION Profile test from http://www.metametrix.com/ would be good to do in order to find problmes with metabolic pathways.

This test is fairly expensive and I just wondered if anyone had done the test and then after knowing what metabolic things to work with .
travis

Posts: 29 | From south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the best nutritional tests in my opinion. If your doc will let you prepay and not run the charge thru his practice you can save quite a bit of money.

Problems for hubby are that no matter how many supplements he takes, he can't ever get things quite in balance. This applies to amino acids, fatty acids, lipid peroxides and related antioxidant status etc.

The test can indicate functional B vitamin status and also various G.I. issues -- candida etc. Also there is a marker for quinolinic acid (a potent neurotoxin) as well.

Lab provides some supplement recommendations, but a doc who understands the test results is equally important. I think we actually called once and had a consult with someone in the lab -- can't remember the amount of the extra charge.

If you think you have any nutritional issues, then this is one of the best tests for your money in my opinion.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Urine Organic Acids can be very useful. I have done that in the past and agree with Bea that it can be a good test.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the ion profile with amino acid test. I believe it was a blood and urine test.

Very useful and I've made changes based on the results. Showed high markers for pain, depression ect. due to disordered tryptophan metabolism and high ammonia. Also showed disordered methyl group and intestinal bacterial metabolites.

It measures detox pathway, markers for fatigue, syndrome X, mental/emotional, Cardiovascular, digestion/absorption, intestinal yeasts/fungal metabolites, toxic exosure to metals and other toxins, Oxidative stress/antioxidant status, mitochondrial functional impairment, amino acid insuffciency and essential fatty acid insufficiency.

They provide a phamplet of information about your particular profile with recommendations.

I think for me, the tryptophan being so far out of whack may really help me since tryptophan is a precurser to serotonin. This could help with so many of my symptoms such as depression, pain, sleep, carb metabolism and who knows what else.

Well worth the money to me!

Off the subject a bit but I did look to see if tryptophan is a known problem with lyme and I found a small study done in 1994 that showed that tryptophan metabolism is affected in patients with acute lyme neuroborreliosis.

Eur J Clin Chem Clin Biochem. 1994 Sep;32(9):685-9. Related Articles, Links

Neopterin production and tryptophan degradation in acute Lyme neuroborreliosis versus late Lyme encephalopathy.

Gasse T, Murr C, Meyersbach P, Schmutzhard E, Wachter H, Fuchs D.

Klinik fur Neurologie, Universitat Innsbruck, Austria.

Fourteen patients with Borrelia burgdorferi infection were investigated for possible abnormalities of tryptophan and neopterin metabolism. Four patients (2 were investigated before therapy, 2 when therapy had been already started) had acute Lyme neuroborreliosis, and 10 patients were investigated months to years after an acute infection. Increased concentrations of neopterin and of the tryptophan-degradation product, L-kynurenine, were detected in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with acute Lyme neuroborreliosis; one patient presented with subnormal tryptophan. Similar but less marked changes were seen in the treated patients and in some of the patients with Lyme encephalopathy. No such abnormalities were seen in the serum of the patients. The data indicate a role of the immune system and particularly of endogenously formed cytokines, like interferon-gamma and tumour necrosis factor-alpha, effecting tryptophan and neopterin metabolism in patients with acute Lyme neuroborreliosis.

PMID: 7865624 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement