LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » For the men - prostate issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For the men - prostate issue
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I had been progressing very well - Then about 4 weeks ago attempted to ride my bike - within 2 hours after one of the testicals started burning. 5 days later go to a duck just to see what's up. lol.... Prostate inflamed and tender.

He gives me some ABX that are used for prostate infections. I go to my LLMD, We suspect that it is one of either ehrlichia, bart, or lyme. The ABX that the duck provided would not touch any of the infections.

LLMD sends me to my Biofeed tech to see what the actual infections might be (this is kind of like comperized muscle testing) The infections that comes up is ehrlicia. I wnet back to him 2 times a week apart just to see if it comes up the same, it did.

It appears that I have a focal infection in the prostate and testicals - It makes sense that it is ehrlicia due to the mild fevers and sparadic chills not to mention the growing presure in that area. lol

Anyone else have issues in this area since having any of the tic bugs.

Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely not a man, I will respond nevertheless.
Just going over some papers Dr. K. (alternative MD) put out:

6 major sites of infection of Bb:First four are Large joints. Skin. CNS. Heart.

5. Kidney/bladder: the highest concentration of tissue spirochetes has been found in kidney and bladder. Symptoms often include:
Interstitial cystitis
Prostatitis (Babesia often also involved)
Sexual Dysfunction
Loss of libido
Pelvic pain
Menstrual disorders
Filtration problems in the kidney (low specific weight of urine)
Urethritis after intercourse (the spirochetes are attracted during intercourse to the urethra and cause acute inflammation)

6. Immune System infection white blood cels, thymus, brain, lymphnodes, adrenals, etc.)

Ehrliochiosis

Human granulocytic Ehrluichiosis (HGE) is caused by Anaplasma phagocytophila. Human monocytic Ehrlichiosis (HME) is caused by Ehrlichia chaffeensis. Often found in clients that have contact with horses and arm animals.

Symptoms:

Fever (0nly after initial infection)
Myalgia and arthralgia
Headache
Lycopenia and thrombocytopenia
Hyponatremia
Mental confusion
Skin rashes, genital and oral ulcers
Severe pain sydromes
Nausea and vomiting (acute flare-ups)

Therapy: think astragalus (elevates interferon gamma) and colchicine (read papers by Michael Rask - not to be used during dental surgery or pregnancy).

The bugs love the reproductive organs - it assures their survival - we pass them on to others!

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
davidx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John-

How does the biofeedback tech determine what the actual infection might be? They did a urine test for me to look for bacteria or something.

I did get what I thought was prostatitis in April or May of last year. I went to 2 different urologists. For the prostatitis I took a month or two of levaquin which didn't help much. I had some different symptoms that you though. It was more a constant sensation of having to go, a frequency issue and pain.

By late October/early November, though, I was diagnosed with lyme, bart and babs by a neurologist. I had gone to see the neurologist
for other strange symptoms I was having and that's when the neuro suspected tick infections.

I can't say for sure whether or not it was related to the lyme or co-infections. I guess I'll never know for sure..

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk in more detail about this subject!

-David

--------------------
Same nightmare, different day!

Posts: 401 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polar blast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is what happened to me...yes it does happen..get on the right antibiotic..mino is very good at crossing the testes barrier..it must cross...just like the bbb...dont wait...
eric

Posts: 593 | From long island ny | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input to all.

GIGI - Bioffed Testing has been very reliable in my treatment over the last 6 months. We tested many of the potential hot spots where the bugs could be hanging out and it has been very consitant. Ehrlicia was overaall was very low at a 2. but has risen to a 6 in the prostate and testicals. Doxy was the best match in testing but it also carried the greatest stress load against spleen, heart and liver. My spleen function was down to 35% but now up to 60% and my NP really did not want us to stress the spleen if at all possible. Zith came out the best med to keep the overall balance of the bugs coming down. We may have to add either doxy or mino if it tests out good to get this under control. Up to this point I was doing quite well. I will also test out the herb - I did this once before but it really did not have any significance at that time.

Polar - Thanks for the input - I feel the pain you went through.

Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, real narly, I sympathize. Happened to me on a long flight to LA. Put on Cip by PCP which didn't help. Went to see Dr. Jellyfinger for a prostate "Massage" (anything but!) and it improved. As harsh as this sounds, the Uro said the inflamation was literaly squeezed out of the prostate. Yikes! This was arguably as painful as the 3 spial taps I've had.

LLMD said it could be bb and said it would improve with abx. Fortunately it has. He also said that Lyme can cause Epididimytis, which causes testicular pain, so you might want to ask your Mds about that as well.

I would ask the LLMD and uro if riding a bike can irritate the old prostate. Do you use one of those guy-friendly bike seats?

[ 23. July 2006, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Lymelighter ]

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of men who post on this site have had prostatitis. Young or old, it doesn't seem to matter. Prior to being treated for Lyme, I was diagnosed with BPH. Now several years later it is normal and on the small side. Check out the archives using the "Search" function and use the key word, "prostate." You will get quite a few hits.

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please excuse the interuption..

GiGi.. great info.. as usual.. THANKS! Just shared it with others in need of it.

Carry on men!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The hubby's prostate problems have resolved with treatment. Don't overlook Bartonella as a player in this, too:

From the familiar ground of E. coli, the session moved to newer territory - the little-known pathogen Bartonella. Several members of this genus cause disease, ranging from localized inflammation (B. henselae) to fatal haemolytic anaemia (B. quintana). Christoph Dehio (University of Basel, Switzerland) presented his lab's recent progress in understanding their mechanism of infection. The pathogenic capacity of Bartonella stems from its ability to invade endothelia and red blood cells. After attaching to the endothelial cell membrane, the bacteria are gathered into a massive aggregate (the 'invasome') in a process that is apparently driven by the host cell.

The invasome is then engulfed but, like many other intracellular pathogens, Bartonella avoids destruction by preventing its home, the phagosome, from fusing with lysosomes. Intriguingly, a much more dramatic manipulation of the endothelial host cell also occurs, as an unidentified bacterial membrane component stimulates the host cell to proliferate and eventually to form a new blood vessel.

(endothelial cells line the bladder and the male reproductive organs, and all blood vessels)

Genome Biology

The following has benefitted both the hubby and my dad (who doesn't have LD but who has had prostate problems related to tx for prostate cancer). Too frequent urination, especially at night (5-7 times a night for dad) was a real problem until they began drinking a mixture of

pomegranite juice
cranberry juice
blueberry juice

Dad drinks a minimum of a full cup every day, and now only has to get up a couple of times a night. He's also on some medication for the urinary frequency problem, but it wasn't until he added the juice drink that he got real relief.

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brewer
Member # 8706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last spring Prostate issue was the first problem I had during a long year.

I thought it was just prostate issues and went through some rounds of physical therapy to resolve what I thought was muscle tension.

Eventually this kind of went away and was replaced very quickly with numbness / tingling in arms and legs.

Then pains in the abdomen / hands / head. Then heart issues.

Eventually after many months of getting the run around I was diagnosed with Lyme. Just got blood drawn for Co-infection so I will know soon if there is anything else.

I would say the prostate issue is defineltly a symptom of Lyme for men. For me it was the first sign of things to come. Even now it still came come back for a day or two then goes away. Kind of wierd.

Good Luck from a fellow Wisconsin Lyme guy.

Brewer

Posts: 11 | From Waukesha, WI | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Again - thanks to all -

this really sucks - I have had mild prostate issues before but this episode is over the top.

Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have prostatitis, brother
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

For those who would like to know, things are improving. I have been on Doxy for about 5 days and did not flinch much on the urologists exam today. He stated that doxy can bee a good med for the prostate. Looks like we found the correct med.
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just in case this helps -- info about glutamine and benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate). Note that for some lymies excess glutamine/glutamic acid may be a severe problem, so don't randomly start taking glutamine supplements.

http://12.31.13.58/library/healthguide/en-us/Cam/topic.asp?hwid=hn-2855004

Glutamic Acid
Alternative Medicine
The following information is specific for alternative and complementary medicine. For additional evidence-based information on diseases, conditions, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and wellness issues, continue searching the Healthwise Knowledgebase.

What is it?

Glutamic acid (glutamate) is an amino acid used by the body to build proteins. Glutamate is the most common excitatory (stimulating) neurotransmitter in the central nervous system.

Under normal circumstances, humans are able to meet bodily glutamate requirements either from the diet or by making it from precursor molecules. Although glutamine and glutamic acid have similar names, they are structurally different.

The fluid produced by the prostate gland contains significant amounts of glutamic acid, and this amino acid may play a role in normal function of the prostate. In one study, symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) were improved in a group of 45 men taking 780 mg of glutamic acid per day for two weeks and then 390 mg for the next two and a half months in combination with equal amounts of the amino acids, alanine and glycine, 1 an effect also reported by other researchers. 2

Glutamic acid may have protective effects on the heart muscle in people with heart disease. Intravenous injections of glutamic acid (as monosodium glutamate) have been shown to increase exercise tolerance and heart function in people with stable angina pectoris. 3

Where is it found?

Sources of glutamic acid include high-protein foods, such as meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and dairy products. Some protein-rich plant foods also supply glutamic acid.
Health Concerns

Glutamic acid has been used in connection with the following conditions (refer to the individual health concern for complete information):
Rating Health Concerns

2Stars Benign prostatic hyperplasia
1Star Heart surgery (support)

Deficiency Symptoms

Who is likely to be deficient?

Most food sources of protein supply glutamic acid, so only a person deficient in protein would become deficient in glutamic acid. 4
Dosage

How much is usually taken?

Healthy people do not need to take glutamic acid as a supplement; for those who do use this amino acid, appropriate amounts should be determined with the consultation of a physician.
Side Effects

Are there any side effects or interactions?

Glutamic acid is generally free of side effects for the vast majority of people who take it; however, people with kidney or liver disease should not consume high intakes of amino acids without consulting a healthcare professional. Because over stimulation of glutamate receptors is thought to be a possible cause of certain neurological diseases (e.g., amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [Lou Gehrig's disease] and epilepsy), people with a neurological disease should consult of physician before supplementing with glutamate.

Monosodium glutamate (MSG), the form of glutamic acid that is used as a flavor enhancer, has been reported in anecdotal studies to have a number of different adverse effects (including headache, fatigue, and depression). However, controlled trials have failed to confirm that MSG causes these side effects, and the safety of this compound remains controversial.

At the time of writing, there were no well-known drug interactions with glutamic acid.

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also been on the prostate run around.
My symptoms with the prostate started early on and I went on doxy which helped clear things up.

It still comes back every once in a while but thankfully doesn't last all that long.

I hear many good things about doxy for prostate issues.

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would stay clear from glutamic acid or any glutamate as it is likely that they may do some damage to the eyes and the brain even if there is no 100% proof they do so.
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, how about an update? How are things now? Spill it buddy.

Maybe soemone can help, k?

Hang in there kiddo
[kiss]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont forget Yeast infection.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement